homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Down under in the antipodes (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Down under in the antipodes
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Marama was a school teacher in England during the IRA bombings of the 1970s. Since there really were bombs on some such occasions, all bomb threats had to be taken seriously enough to evacuate the school until the police gave the all clear. Such threats always then came by telephone.

The teachers soon learnt that the question to ask when everyone was outside was "which class were supposed to have a maths test today?".

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess telephone technology re tracing calls will bave improved since then.

My first teaching post was at what was then a fairly rough high school on edge of Sydney.

Hoax calls were made often. Usually saying there was a fire in a gas pipe under school and someone had already been burnt. All emergency sevices were thus called out.

Strange to say. The calls all came from a public phone box. Not too many of those around these days.

If this call was one of the automated OS calls, i imagine few would have known it was a small school on the central coast. Of course, every service still was alerted. Just an automated call working through a list of schools.

[ 12. February 2016, 06:52: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
When you were talking about Jesus lover of my Soul I was trying to imagine this song to Aberystwyth. [Hot and Hormonal]

Ugh!!

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We lived in Belfast from 1988 to 2003, and while the level of IRA/UVF/whatever bombing had subsided from its peak in the 70s, there were still occasions when we had to get out of Marks & Spencer pretty damn quick.

By that time, the police were usually able to decode which particular branch of (God-fearing)* terrorists were making the call, and act accordingly.

Most of the calls were hoaxes, intended to cause as much disruption as possible; if a call had been received saying there was a bomb in such-and-such a place, the first response was often to stop all the traffic coming into and out of Belfast, which would slow things to a crawl, making everyone late for work (or unable to get home).

* Definition of The Troubles: one set of God-fearing Christians knocking seven shades of sh*t out of another set of God-fearing Christians.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I note a high school in Goulburn was affected too, so rural areas are just as vulnerable. Welcome to being global citizens, I guess.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Primary school where I volunteer had a lockdown practice last year which I found more disturbing than any fire or earthquake drills. The kids and teachers coped well, though there was some fudging in the reception class as to the whys and wherefores.

Some of the children have PTSD due to the earthquakes which means changes in routine can be more distressing.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have suggested to son that he tells his son that those concerned appear to have been caught. He looks a typical boy, good at sport etc, but is intelligent and thinks a lot about things. We had a time last year where he swore at his mum, was defiant to his dad, poorly behaved at school. These may sound typical of boyhood at that age but not from him.

After some sessions with a counsellor, we discovered he was grievingm that his cat had been killed the previous year. Counsellor gave him some coping mechanisms which helped greatly. We know this time to keep an eye on him.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

RainbowGirl
Apprentice
# 18543

- Posted      Profile for RainbowGirl     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My school had lockdown practices frequently. Never had a bomb threat as far as I know, but they had all 1000 kids (aged 3-18) trained in what the different bell sounds meant. One for lockdown, one for evacuate off school property, one for evacuate to the ovals, a bell to let us know all clear and a final bell to let us know we could return to our classrooms.

Lockdowns were complete with hiding under the desks, drawing curtains/blinds and staying absolutely still and silent. They introduced them a few weeks after 9/11, and continued drilling us in them until I graduated. I assume the practice is continuing.

I still have no idea what purpose they were trying to serve, in a small country town that had never seen an earthquake, and the closest natural disaster was that one time ten years ago when the science lab flooded.

It saddens me that lockdown drills seem to have now become a necessity in the schools.

Posts: 32 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rainbow Girl I think it was because I realised how vulnerable all the kids would be. There are low, uncurtained windows in the front and back of each classroom and the best the planners could come up with was locking all the doors and the children hiding were they could or huddling together and keeping low.

I'm sketchy on the details but I found, quite by chance while playing on the net that an armed man has killed someone at a school in NZ. I think it was 70 or 80 over an extramarital affair.

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pardon my non Saintly language but that F**king B***rd earthquake can F**k right f**king off.

5.7 close to Christchurch and shallow. Right near the anniversary too. [Frown]

Hope you're okay Huia... [Frown]

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Frown]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

IT was a nasty little bugger.

I was in the supermarket and all I could think of was I don't want to deal with the insurance company again [Waterworks]

I think there has been some damage over at the Port, but I don't know how bad it is.

G-P and I are OK and all services are functioning _power, water and internet.

Huia

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Huia

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]
For all for whom this latest large earthquake brings back nothing but too many terrible memories and feelings!@
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, Huia and Macrina! That's a pretty solid shaking.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Prayers for Christchurch,continuing to be shaken.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Well, selfishly I am relieved nothing is damaged in my house that will need insurance involvement. I can't say the same for my brain - I have just spent 20 minutes looking for the kindle which I put in the cupboard when I was getting treats to lure Georgie out of hiding. I was convinced I had left it on the bus [Roll Eyes]

My lovely young over-the-road neighbour knocked on the door to check I was OK - which I am, but a bit more shaken than I had thought I was. I am going to stretch out in the shade of a tree in the back garden with a cup of tea and my kindle. Tonight I will have a lavender bubble bath to relax. At least I have learned some good self care skills in the last few years.

Thanks for the support.

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Very glad the insurance company does not need to be called, Huia. Good to see the NZ crew checking in, too.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

After I had written a reply about earth quake a few posts up, I thought of the platitudes thread. It was definitely not meant that way, but here is a second attempt.

Huia and Macrina and Christchurch citizens, I am so sorry you have this today and all the ongoing aftershocks.

[ 14. February 2016, 03:49: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Huia and Macrina, NOT AGAIN!!!
I'm sure I could cope with one, but not with lots and lots.
Peace and comfort to you and all around you.

It's great to have lovely neighbours, too.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for Huia, Macrina and the people of Christchurch - that really is the last thing you need.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

After posting I caught the six o'clock news – isn't it amazing that as soon as the quake starts people who have their cell phone in their hand start taking videos? So we get the cliff collapsing at Sumner in clouds of dust.
The seismological spokesperson says it's still an aftershock, (one of?) the biggest in four years. Not a new event.

With you all: [Votive]

GG

[ 14. February 2016, 04:35: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just learned about the quake, and my thoughts went to Shipmates. I am glad to hear things are (pretty much) OK. My thoughts are with you!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope y'all are ok [Votive]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Worm in the Grass
Shipmate
# 10999

- Posted      Profile for Worm in the Grass   Email Worm in the Grass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers and thoughts for Huia and Macrina and the people of Christchurch. Glad you are OK but very stressful for you. Puts hailstorms in perspective. WitG

--------------------
Christian satire attracts people who are serious about religion. It's a method of coping with the difference between what religion ought to be about and what it is. (Jengie Jon)

Posts: 273 | From: somewhere near Canberra | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will stop popping on here only to complain of earthquakes sooner or later I promise. I do read the rest of the thread I am just a terrible cliche maker (don't worry Lothlorien I appreciate all good thoughts).
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Loth, I didn't feel your response was platitudinous, but the support of a friend, and much appreciated.

Apparently we had tremors through the night. I felt a few, then I was rocked to sleep. One thing I noticed when I woke up is that my balance is slightly affected - I had forgotten that happens, sort of like booze-free hangover. It's Ok, but it gives a slightly unreal feeling. I am going to be extra careful not to fall over today.

Yesterday at church we sang How Can I keep From Singing. I love that song. This morning I looked it up on You Tube and played some variations so I have it firmly fixed in my mind. Positive earworms remind me that there is so much more to life than the current annoyances.

A beautiful dawn and a hot day to follow.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you, Huia, as that is how it was intended to be received. I realised later that I was looking at it from a hostly point of view. We read every new post and it struck me then that it could have come from that thread. So, the second attempt.

Booze free hangover? I have one of those after an unfortunate run in with a gastric upset last night.

I could not even finish the champagne my son had bought. He is trying some out to see what he might like for the weding early March. Like many of us, he has champagne tastes but beer budget. Were money no object, there are several. I liked the one he had but can't remember the brand. Then I could not have any more, or finish my meal.

Edited: a bad day when I make mistakes in spelling the name of a friend.

[ 14. February 2016, 21:28: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

I now have an image in my mind of NZ as the deck of a ship rolling on the high seas with its inhabitants attempting to stay upright on it each day. Sea legs needed from time to time, I guess. Yes, please be careful Huia, until your inner plumb line settles. And I sincerely hope that's it for a while, as far as tremors go.

I read somewhere that menopause can cause a shift in balance for some people, and is a time to be more careful too. Not something I was expecting, but it has been true for me. I try to be much more sedate in the way I move about these days!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I'm a bit vague on how they use the pattern of past aftershocks to predict future possibilities, but a seismologist was on the radio saying we have a 63% chance of having an aftershock between magnitude 5 and 5.9, an 8% (unlikely)mag 6 and 6.9 and 1% of one over mag 7 in the next year.

I must collect emergency water and batteries again as some people lost power. At least I always have a week's supply of my essential medication. Tomorrow I'll restock the food cupboard.

Tonnes of rocks have fallen off the Port Hills and it is very lucky that this occurred on a Sunday when the workers trying to stabilise the area have a day off.

One thing positive for me that has come out of this is the support between people. I had a group of teenagers approach me outside the supermarket to check I was ok, the woman who lives at the corner came out of her house -because she obviously needed to talk (she lives alone) and a NZ website I visit had lots of messages from all over the country. Although there was little damage to buildings* (unsafe ones have already fallen down or been demolished) [Frown] I think the psychological damage, especially to those who have been fighting insurance battles is and will continue to be a problem.

Between Sept 2010 and Feb 2011 we had frequent a/shocks - they were horrible, but not unexpected. I think that because we haven't had one this large for a long time we forgot it was a possibility. We need a balance between recognising the possibilities and not being paralysed with fear by them.

*apart from my local library, which is closed due to damaged light fittings [Waterworks]

Huia

[ 15. February 2016, 03:50: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm glad you're OK, Huia and Macrina.

I was emailing another friend from Christchurch today, and she was bewailing the fact that she'd only really got her children back to an even keel recently after the earlier earthquakes. This latest one has set her 8-year-old daughter back several steps.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Yes, and with all this going on the Ministry of Health, showing all the insight of blind tapeworms, is cutting funding for mental health in Canterbury.

I am close to being incandescent with rage, especially for the children.

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Whoops, wrong Ministry [Hot and Hormonal] It's the Ministry of Social Development - which to Kiwis shouldn't be a surprise.

Huia

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I couldn't believe it when I read about it. It just seemed so at odds with what's required in Canterbury.

My colleagues in Christchurch haven't seen a drop off in acuity since 2010, nor has there been a drop in total numbers. Its been hard work for child and adolescent mental health professionals, all of whom are dealing with their own recovery as well.

Quite literally, crazy thinking. But about what I'd expect from the current political situation.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Halo
Shipmate
# 6933

- Posted      Profile for Halo   Email Halo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad you Chch folks are all okay!! We didn't feel the earth move this far up the country fortunately, as we were visiting a low lying area near a dam and it would have been quite a run up the hill carrying the kids if it had come to that! I don't go fast at the best of times and out running a busted dam on my own would have been quite a challenge, albeit a highly motivated one.
Fortunately we don't get shaken up here that I have felt. Can only imagine what it must be like living through all these aftershocks, especially one of that strength. [Votive]

Posts: 625 | From: The Land of the Long White Cloud | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Halo, thanks for your support.

quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
I couldn't believe it when I read about it. It just seemed so at odds with what's required in Canterbury.

I know it doesn't answer the situation, and that it's a tiny drop in the ocean of need, but I am going to make a donation to a low cost professional counselling organisation that is supported by a group of churches here. I'm also going to check out with people at church whether anyone else has ideas on how to respond to this.

I vaguely heard a news item this morning regarding children with earthquake related stress being tracked through school and I'm going to follow that up too.

Huia

--------------------

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

Grandson now in fifth class at a primary school on Central Coast had one of those bomb scares that have happened this year. Parents have not yet been told if it was yet another call from overseas or whether it was a copycat call from here. School was evacuated as obviously it had to be.

When I worked at Tax Office when Ex Mr L was off hurt, such calls were commonplace. Instructions were to keep person on phone talking as long as possible whole alerting someone near by a note. Call could be traced. Then everybody out to local park and a welcome cup of coffee.

Hmm my daughters school as per department requirements have to practice lock downs fire drills etc. although it's a main stream school many children have additional needs some funded like my daughter others not. It's an accepting school. Not just the nearest school. She told me about the fire drill and lock down with some anxiety(this is part of her condition). I explained it's not only for baddies coming into the school but other reasons(have heard of animials causing this response to keep kids safe inside). Made up a story about an escaped elephant from the nearby circus entering school grounds. Certainly distracted her...she repeated it to friends a teacher and another mum. The only difference was she said it was my school and real. Made everyone laugh.
Said also everyone has to practice teachers and kids so they can keep everyone safe. All you need to do is listen to your teacher carefully and do what they say.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bronwyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

Grandson now in fifth class at a primary school on Central Coast had one of those bomb scares that have happened this year. Parents have not yet been told if it was yet another call from overseas or whether it was a copycat call from here. School was evacuated as obviously it had to be.

When I worked at Tax Office when Ex Mr L was off hurt, such calls were commonplace. Instructions were to keep person on phone talking as long as possible whole alerting someone near by a note. Call could be traced. Then everybody out to local park and a welcome cup of coffee.

Hmm my daughters school as per department requirements have to practice lock downs fire drills etc. although it's a main stream school many children have additional needs some funded like my daughter others not. It's an accepting school. Not just the nearest school. She told me about the fire drill and lock down with some anxiety(this is part of her condition). I explained it's not only for baddies coming into the school but other reasons(have heard of animials causing this response to keep kids safe inside). Made up a story about an escaped elephant from the nearby circus entering school grounds. Certainly distracted her...she repeated it to friends a teacher and another mum. The only difference was she said it was my school and real. Made everyone laugh.
Said also everyone has to practice teachers and kids so they can keep everyone safe. All you need to do is listen to your teacher carefully and do what they say.

Also glad Christchurch peeps ok. It's very tough.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very glad you are okay, Huia & Macrina.

[Votive]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Today I had to explain post traumatic stress to a teacher at school. She had heard some jerk from another city saying on the radio that Christchurch people should be used to quakes by now, after all there have been so many [Mad]

She was feeling a bit ashamed of her reactions on Sunday (and Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and tonight x2). I do realise it's difficult for people in other places to understand (and after all, the cricket commentary was interrupted for the news [Roll Eyes] ), but I want to say to those people that they may be sick of hearing about it, but living through it is no picnic either.

If the earthquakes were a person I'd kick them in the shins - hard!

Huia - ex-pacifist

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia, I'd have expected you to aim about 2'6" higher (assuming the quakes to be male, of course)

[ 19. February 2016, 07:22: Message edited by: ThunderBunk ]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
Huia, I'd have expected you to aim about 2'6" higher (assuming the quakes to be male, of course)

Was thinking the same and discovered you had beaten me to it!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... some jerk from another city saying on the radio that Christchurch people should be used to quakes by now ...

Just because you're used to them doesn't make them any the less frightening, dangerous or trauma-inducing. You're right - what a jerk.

Are things settling down a bit now?

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Tired, very tired. Laundry is finished - and I am enjoying having utility cupboards for the first time since we got hitched a very long time ago. Spent this morning putting together a fairly substantial garden pergola.

I have now put together 10 flatpack things in 5 days. I don't wish to see another one for at least a year. I know it can give a sense of satisfaction when finally built, but it's a bit like painting with numbers. Reasonable outcome, minimal skill required.

And I am completely over going to Ikea. There is a limit to how many times a human can patiently queue in one day. I think I have already exceeded my quota for 2016!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Well done. My laundry here is in my bathroom. I can understand your feelings about Ikea. Two sons feel the same way, the other one collected his father's genes on that topic and has been several times since Christmas. To give him his due, he and fiancée have been adapting place for his girls who come every second weekend.

[ 20. February 2016, 01:16: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We have six dining chairs that were bought in various branches of Ikea in the UK over a period of a couple of years, and by the time D. assembled the last one he could put it together in about half an hour.

Being a Brit, I have a genetically-programmed capacity for patient queuing, so Ikea doesn't bother me at all; my only gripe is that our nearest branch is about 1500 miles away. [Frown]

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's not been a lot of news in Oz about the cyclone in Fiji but it seems to have been severe. I seem to recall some of our number were or are residing there, hope you're safe. I hear there is pretty much no power throughout the country, so doubt you'll be checking in. [Votive]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
There's not been a lot of news in Oz about the cyclone in Fiji but it seems to have been severe. I seem to recall some of our number were or are residing there, hope you're safe. I hear there is pretty much no power throughout the country, so doubt you'll be checking in. [Votive]

AS far as I know there are no shipmates currently residing in Fiji. Tukai and I were there until last year, and still have many friends there. From the Facebook threads we are receiving - some mobile phone contact must still be possible - most of the country is affected, power and water mostly down, buildings damaged, but so far few deaths reported, thankfully. The severity of the situation can be judged by the fact that the Methodist church cancelled all services today, and had previously advised people to get prepared for the cyclone, get somewhere safe, and pray - in that order.
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I found this article tonight , suggesting reconnaissance by plane would be necessary to assess damage. 12 metre high waves and strong winds have damaged communications and infrastructure. I saw pictures tonight of planes in hangars. Hangars were ripped apart and planes damaged.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the updates [Votive]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016