homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Praise and Thanksgiving - 2016 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving - 2016
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
BC: I don't understand how that works, but I'm happy for you that it does!

Everyone: Cheers! As I told a friend, it's a great job description. Babs does all the work for 9 months, and I get to bask in congratulations from people who don't even know her. If only all accolades took this little work!

Best thing about grandparenting is that the parents are so grateful when you take little'un off their hands, if only for a few hours, as if you were doing them a huge favour!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know how it works either. Modern medicine! The up side -- I can see again! The down side: my lord, nobody has cleaned this house in a loooong time...

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My eye-hospital says no change needed in prescription which means no additional costs at the moment. No opinion was offered on the condition of my brain.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At long-ish last Mrs Sioni has a date for an operation to one of her feet, which we hope will reduce pain and swelling. It's scheduled for September 7th.

I'll put up a prayer request later - for now we're grateful that we have a date!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... No opinion was offered on the condition of my brain ...

What br---
Bad Piglet! Resist the temptation!! [Devil]

Glad to hear about Mrs. SS - hope the operation goes well. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Relief and rejoicing in the North East household.

Relief - On Tuesday my father had a scan which showed that what might have been a tumour, wasn't.

Rejoicing - Today the North East Loon heard that he will graduate with a Desmond (2:2) in November. (He should have graduated in June, but he failed a module and had to resubmit.) Whilst at Uni he has saved up enough (!) to be self-supporting for a year (cheap flat, Tesco value food) and intends to live the life of a starving writer in a garret. It's going to be interesting!

[Yipee]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's not going to actually try and support himself by writing, is he? That way lies madness, and is impossible to boot.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Depends on what you write, and for whom.

I strongly recommend boring computer manuals etc for major companies whose IT people can't write their way out of a paper bag. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
He's not going to actually try and support himself by writing, is he? That way lies madness, and is impossible to boot.
Yes, he is. He has had two children's books published, so he does know what's involved. He also gets paid to visit schools, through a scheme run by the Scottish Book Trust. It's not much, but it's something.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brilliant news North East Quine - you missed "prize-winning children's author"

(although it's not easy to Google him as Google is convinced I want the better known author with a similar name, probably not helped as I remember that his name is similar to set up the search).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Yes, who knew his name would be so confusing? When he was little he used to love seeing "his" name on the Alexander McCall Smith books.

Here he is.

His books are available at all good bookshops!

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow E Q [Overused]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had too eat today ! It was both very good !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent news on both fronts, NEQ, and congratulations to North East Loon. May his garret be a place of plenty! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was two bits of welcome news, NEQ. There was a time when a 2.2 was also known as a ballet degree... I feel very privileged to have met a famous writer.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The consultant has told Ma Mad Cat that her cancer treatment will be complete in time for her to fly to Aus in December, so we can all be together for Christmas (including Mad Kittens x 3 and Mad Gatos x 2). God willing, all will go to plan. I'm so grateful that she has this trip to get her through the chemo and radiotherapy.

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was really good at he church when they gate bred and wine. I felt good in it !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely, daisymay, just lovely.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooops, iPad glitch. Have deleted a couple of duplicates of my post above,

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This morning I am feeling more than usually non-specifically grateful, if there is such a feeling.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
This morning I am feeling more than usually non-specifically grateful, if there is such a feeling.

Sometimes the sunshine helps feel that way, or a really good sleep.

I have a practice of finding three things for which I am grateful every morning at breakfast. I cover all sorts of topics in this.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
...I have a practice of finding three things for which I am grateful every morning at breakfast. I cover all sorts of topics in this.

Brilliant idea! Thanks for that thought.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... three things for which I am grateful every morning at breakfast ...

Cornflakes, tea and toast? [Big Grin]

Seriously, though - good idea.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... three things for which I am grateful every morning at breakfast ...

Cornflakes, tea and toast? [Big Grin]

Seriously, though - good idea.

Sometimes it is something like that, other times more profound. Depends how awake I feel at the time.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm here to record my thankfulness that we saw The House today, put in an offer for it and had it accepted.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hallelujah!

Three cheers for Chateau Piglet II [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet [Yipee]
quote:

Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brilliant, piglet! [Yipee]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Recently posted on the prayer thread that I was waiting for results of a CT scan re: a lump in my neck. Just found out that it isn't cancer!!! It is an inflammation, though, so I need to do a better job of keeping myself healthy.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No bearmeat parasite then! [Yipee]

Hurray! Praise be, sabine! Praying for swift and full recovery and plenty more good news! [Smile]

[ 09. September 2016, 15:44: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, WesleyJ. I was planning to have bear meat for Thanksgiving, but I won't take the chance now. [Big Grin]

sabine

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

We went camping and it was good and on one was a church and it was good it go to it, with bread and bike and it spoke well.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daisymay, that sounds like such a wonderful time!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have the bestest nephew in the world. He is the only one of his generation in our family so we don't have quantity, but we certainly have quality.

I have been worrying how to achieve some of the things I want to do regarding making a memory book for my oldest brother who is sliding into dementia, and our nephew has offered to help, using his technological skills. [Yipee] I am so grateful.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That is a wonderful idea, Huia. We have put some of the thousands of photos taken by friend on an electronic display board for him.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praise be for a much more successful visit to the Dowager, who was more lucid and co-operative than she has been for a long time. She had - for the first time in a long time - given thought to what we might have for lunch! [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
High time to give thanks for some of my requests here from the last few weeks: [Hot and Hormonal]

As I posted, I got accepted on a further training course relevant to my profession and my job. Also, one of my (not so rich) cousins's sponsored the course fee for now, which will be paid back by work at some point - while some other (rather wealthy) cousins weren't able to support... Camel and eye of the needle and all that. A bit of an eye opener on the burden of the reach, which seem real. - They're still lovely people, though. [Smile]

Again, your prayer for requests on here is very effective and clearly felt, and makes a huge difference to me, and I'm sure a lot of us who post and pray!

Thank you all! [Overused] [Axe murder]

[ 26. September 2016, 02:59: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Ah yes... and the diagnostic assessement in my job, which is actually part of my training course, went well... mostly, I got loads of extremely helpful tips and hints on how to improve certain aspects of my work - sometimes you just know there's something that needs to be changed, but cannot fathom what!

That's what the course is for, and I'm learning! Should make work and life considerably easier in the end, once you get the new routines up and going!

Thanks, and thanks be to God. [Angel]

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

Wesley J -- Ah, what a relief it is! [Yipee]

sabine

[ 28. September 2016, 14:49: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I had several bows in me and give me food ! It was nice

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think this may the right place to park a personal note... Yesterday my Dear Old Mother died in the nursing home in the north east of Scotland, and I am immensely thankful that she did it peacefully and in her right mind; my youngest sister with her - a good way to go. She was 95 and had been in fragile health for a long time. Some of her engagingly unverifiable anecdotes have appeared around here a few times, so now I am the hapless guardian of family folklore with little hope of ever being able to prove a single word of stories that are much too good to forget. We have to come up with an inscription for a marker for her, and so far, I favour "Born a Cockney; Died a Teuchter".

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My commiserations ST: a wonderful way for your mother to end her life, full of years and in her right mind, but for those of us left behind it can make it harder. Yes, being the repository of all the family legends can make one feel ancient: we recorded my late Papa about his uncles and aunts and my sons have been entranced to listen to them, not just their grandfather's voice but all the scrapes he recounted about 4 young men all of whom served in WWI and lived to tell the tale.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I walked today and I did not pain ! It was good as I walked. [Votive]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry to hear of your loss, ST, but glad that your mum's ending was peaceful, and after a good long life. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
I walked today and I did not pain ! It was good as I walked. [Votive]

How encouraging that must have been for you.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stercus Tauri
[Votive]

[Yipee] Daisymay I hope your walking remains pain free.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daughter Erin and her husband are safely back in the U.K. Their plane was the last international flight to leave Orlando at 20.05. Too close for comfort!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear it, TB. [Smile]

--------------------

Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A week ago my grandmother (who is 103) had a fall, and hit and cut her head. It was an accident that could have done terrible damage. To our amazement and gratitude, none of the awful things that could have happened did happen: she is sore, and has stitches in her forehead, but is otherwise back to normal. [Yipee]

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Wonderful news, Tobias. The mother of a friend of mine fell a week ago and received a very black eye and cheek. No broken bones. She had just moved, very unwillingly, into residential care. She was already quite disoriented from the move and the fall made it worse. She is beginning to settle but does not know herself in mirror because of the bruises.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016