homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm grateful to Gilbert & Sullivan for the inspiration for this year's title, quoted from The Pirates of Penzance. As many of you seem to have been having rather a lot of weather, perhaps it's even more apt than usual ... [Eek!]

There are a few wee squitty snowflakes ambling down outside, so we may be in for a white-ish New Year.

I've been Domestic Goddess Piglet this morning, faffing about cleaning and making the place look civilised* for tomorrow evening.

* well, what passes for "civilised" chez Piglet ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We went to a nearby Attraction (gardens and shopping centre) this afternoon. I wanted to visit one of the shops which had a sale on to upgrade my waterproof walking jacket. Deciding to wear the said jacket, I continued wandering around while Himself went for a yomp around the lake...whereupon the sky got very very dark, the wind got very very squally and the rain lashed down...the jacket lived up to its description! Much colder now.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went out this morning - bright sunshine.
Lord P went out or a walk this afternoon and came in looking like a drowned rat!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a lovely, calm, sunny springlike morning. Then the temperature dropped, the sky went dark, a gale sprang up, rain lashed the windows and it's dismal.

Actually cooked lunch today (and just avoided burning myself a second time) doing pork in a Chinese-style marinade with egg fried rice (total success), and baked chicken in lemon and thyme sauce. Tomorrow I'm thinking pork with cider and apple. I'm not normally this kitchen-minded but it's been fun and the results have definitely been edible.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sensing a pork theme, Ariel. [Smile]

Much calmer here now, and colder. I've had a nap and a nice cup of tea and Mr Nen and I are off later to see the new year in with friends.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good thread title!

Rain Rain Rain Rain here - for a change!

It has promised fine, clear and cold for midnight 'tho - which is when we will be walking home from the wild party.

Happy New Year to all from me and the pooches xx

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I'm sensing a pork theme, Ariel. [Smile]

It was a pack of two pork steaks, so not really a theme, though I'd be happy for it to be.

Enjoy your evening. When I was young I used to stay up on NYE and contemplate the sins of the past year and anticipate the sins of the year to come, but these days an early night with a cup of cocoa and a really good book have become more the norm.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The weather here is still wet.

First there was Elland bridge now there's Brighouse bridge.

We are in danger of being cut off.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yikes, Balaam. Keeping everything crossed for you. It seems to have stopped raining here, at least for the time being.

RE: Seeing in New Year. I have plans for 'Basil the Great Mouse-Detective' and a glass of kir royale. We know how to party in this house [Biased]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year everyone. We've had a few days of sheer self-indulgence. Star Wars, a panto, posh expensive meal out. Tonight we've cooked a curry with each of us (husband, son and me) doing different dishes and are well into our second bottle of wine. Will we make midnight?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No need to cross anything for me. I live halfway up the moor (or what was a moor before it became urban). It is the surrounding valleys that need the help and prayers. (Even heading up hill ends eventually in Rochdale, another flooding valley.)

Where I grew up there is a site that the council have been refusing planning permission for, where the goal posts were under water. The council have this right, the only thing to build on a flood plain are sports fields.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Water polo? [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

In that currant>

Second half is with the tide.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Balaam and your neighbours down the hill; those bridge pictures look v. scary.

Just in from a v. nice evening taking in the New Year with the folk who are coming round to us on New Year's Day for a spot of supper; we hadn't reckoned on one of our choral scholars still being in Newfoundland for New Year, so we've added her to the invitation list. This may cause something of a brain-ache in the placement department, but we'll cope.

Hope everyone had a good New Year! [Smile]

PS Over the course of the evening we seem to have accumulated a couple of inches of snow. That's quite enough, thank you. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was sitting here last night merrily doing something or the other when the upstairs bell rang - this is the easy way of getting my attention, saves their legs or voices. I wandered downstairs to find that my favourite neighbour here in the village had called to see me. There was a big celebration at the local temple that he left to come and give me a rather touching New Year card.

What a sweetie!

I then overslept this morning, got up eventually to have breakfast, pottered about a bit on the interwebby thing and then went to bed until just recently.

I do like lazy days.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

I do like lazy days.

Me too!

A very quiet day here, lots of walking followed by sitting around reading.

It's really frosty which caused Tatze (nearly 3) to charge and slide around like a little puppy [Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Slight weather stuff from me, I've become obsessed with the weather living in Cumbria. I have no aversion to the rain, I welcome it normally. It is the lack of balance with the rain we have here and other parts of the world that could do with it. The flooding is something else. The destruction and devastation of the land - again - something else. I worry about the animals and the insects and the birds and plants. We're so out of synch.

What to do?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mmm, those bridges are why I have my daughter staying with me, not watching the bridges fall down and cut her off.

We had frost this morning too, a nice layer on the cars. I did debate going out to play in it but the vegetation wasn't particularly spectacular.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After the rare treat of a lie in, we had another rare treat of a cooked breakfast. Bacon, sausage, eggs, mushrooms & hash browns. Now we're going out to walk it off. At least we won't need lunch.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year everyone.

No party at Château rouge this year because we didn't feel like so we headed round to my friend T's house where a good time is copious amounts of tasty Malagasy cooking (mmm) and Michael Jackson.

Now I didn't feel all that tipsy, but the evidence is suggesting otherwise... I may have been dancing to Britney Spears and la Macarena. How the hell drunk was I? [Hot and Hormonal]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... dancing to Britney Spears and la Macarena. How the hell drunk was I? [Hot and Hormonal]

Very. [Devil]

Dinner party went off really rather well, despite one or two scary moments - in particular, when I used our favourite ceramic knife to chop the end off a rather large carrot, and the carrot fought back, breaking the blade of the knife in sunder ... [Eek!]

I haven't stopped all day though, and am now a rather knackered little piglet.

Do I have the energy to empty and re-load the dishwasher? Answers on a postcard please.

Lazy day tomorrow, methinks. [Snore]

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just off to the cricket at Newlands. Horrible trip over sitting around at airport waiting for connections. And somebody took my case off the carousel! So had a palaver getting it back. Otherwise all is well. Blazing hot. Otherwise no complaints from me.
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have a bright purple suitcase - no chance of someone mistaking it. Our next holiday is to visit my son in Heidelberg in February (when he turns 30!!) hope to the that rare thing - the sun!

It's fine but dull here. I'll be taking the puppy on a bus to town then on a tram for a short round trip as we haven't done enough transport work lately. Then we will walk round shops for training purposes, but I won't be buying anything. Hopefully we'll see some pigeons so that I can work on her pigeon distraction.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Pouring with rain and the wind howling round the eaves etc. I was thinking of going out for the day but not if it's going to be like this.

Anyone see Sherlock last night? Great fun, though quite creepy as well.

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I couldn't get into Sherlock. And, turning into a sad middle-aged thing, I'm looking at the upcoming telly programs for tonight and thinking ug. I feel a movie coming on, having sold my soul to amazon and got a fire stick and prime, I have a lot of choice!
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I enjoyed the Sherlock - though I think Gatiss bigs up (in this case literally) Mycroft too much. It was amusing spotting the embedded canonical fragments.

Another dull but quiet day here. Must nip out for milk and a paper presently. I find the end of the week festive days particularly confusing as, just as you feel you've had a weekend (big meals, atypical telly) it's the weekend.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pouring with rain here too. [Frown]

Yes, I sat through Sherlock last night. Couldn't get into it at all. ~Didn't help that they speak so fast my very old ears can't catch everything. Would have turned it off but Mr. N seemed to like it.

My daughter recommends Agatha Christie on iPlayer. Might try that. At least it will be straightforward and not weird!!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:

My daughter recommends Agatha Christie on iPlayer. Might try that. At least it will be straightforward and not weird!!

I wouldn't like to bet on that. It's decidedly weird, if straightforward in one sense.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

It was a blood bath!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was going to go for a walk this morning but it's now raining (there's a change... [Roll Eyes] ) so I'm drinking coffee and eating biscuits instead. [Big Grin]

We had friends round last night so are planning to catch up on Sherlock this evening. And yes, the recent Agatha Christie is a must - if gory and creepy. I was thoroughly gripped and I don't usually do gore or creepiness.

Now, when to take the decorations down - today or tomorrow?

Mr Nen and I have also agreed we're doing Dry January - on the understanding that January begins on Monday. (And might exclude weekends... and bad days at work... [Killing me] )

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

Are we talking about the Agatha Christie - ten little soldiers? I was absolutely gripped by that. I had forgotten the story line and got engulfed in the horror of being trapped in an island.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
Are we talking about the Agatha Christie - ten little soldiers? I was absolutely gripped by that. I had forgotten the story line and got engulfed in the horror of being trapped in an island.

Yes - they titled it 'And then there were none' for the TV version (in three parts). It was a horror film! Very well done.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

Thanks Boogie, I was engrossed ! The cast was great, Charles Dance was, as always, mesmerising.

Telly is utterly rubbish at the mo. I feel a movie coming on.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not a big TV watcher, and haven't watched a costume drama for donkeys years, but tomorrow is the first episode of the new BBC adaptation of "War & Peace". I tackled the book last year, it took me 10 months so I'm not sure how they'll squeeze it into 6 hour-long episodes, but I bet it will look amazing. I'm really looking forward to it.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was very impressed with Sherlock - I thought it was very cleverly done, and it built on what had gone before, like the mind palace. I did like the "invisible army" thing, too, and bits like LeStrade asking Mary Watson if she was for or against Votes for Women.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent days cricket at Newlands. 22000 people there and 12000 of them from the UK!! Blazing hot and England are on top. We had seats in the main pavilion and in the shade which was a bonus. Still recovering from the trip out! And now to bed.
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I was very impressed with Sherlock - I thought it was very cleverly done, and it built on what had gone before, like the mind palace.

Yes. I have to admit to being quite spooked by some of the scenes with the bride. But it was very clever.

Lestrade is my favourite character, loved the line about "are you for or against".

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, it was excellent -- highly intelligent.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
... Now, when to take the decorations down - today or tomorrow?

Neither. Wednesday - Twelfth Night. I'll take down the trees and other decorations then, but the candle-bridges and Nativity scene will stay up until Candlemas (2nd February).

I had a lovely lazy morning; I did summon up the energy to unload and re-load the dishwasher* before I went to bed, so there was very little left of last night's stuff to clear up.

As we still had industrial quantities of baked ham left, I decided to try another risotto for lunch: Risi e bisi - rice with peas and ham - which turned out very nicely (and left enough to freeze for another time).

Now I'm contemplating my first attempt at proper pea soup as there's still a fair bit of ham left, with a bone.

* Our dishwasher is a little one (24" rather than 30"), so it takes about 2½ loads to do a dinner-party.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree with Piglet. Decorations come down on Twelfth Night. Much to the disgust of my sons, they go up after the last Sunday in Advent. Those are the proper dates according to my mum. [Razz] An occasional church goer but emphatic about those dates.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's rank heresy to take decorations down before Twelfth Night!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes indeed but is Twelfth night the 5th or the 6th?! There are so many differing opinions on this one.....
Meanwhile here in Kenya my husband and I are privately taking bets on how long the decorations will stay up in our house back in the UK. One of our lovely daughters is living there and she is a bit like her dad- they are both cat-like and don't find change in their environment easy so now she's got used to the decorations being up I predict they'll stay up for quite a while..... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
Yes indeed but is Twelfth night the 5th or the 6th?!

I just counted it on my fingers and by those calculations I make it the 5th

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

All my decorations come down on New Year's day - I can't stand them a minute longer after that. The tree is sitting in the hall waiting to be taken to the recycling place tomorrow.

It's a big week for me this week - I am going to see Gypsy work on Friday, I simply can't wait! I am thrilled that she has qualified as only 75% of pups who get into Big School do. They said it would be fine to take Twiglet, but I want to be able to concentrate on Gypsy so my friends will be having my dogs for the day.

Here is Gypsy's blog. I dearly hope that her new owner will get in touch so that her blog will continue. We will see - fingers and paws crossed!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I expect we'll take the decorations down at the office when we return tomorrow. I'm keeping my tree up at home until Twelfth Night, probably into the weekend. The place looks so bleak without the cheerful little lights and the greenery.

Last day of the holidays and it's pouring with rain and set to do so all day. Tomorrow is back to commuting, crack-of-dawn starts, packed lunches and not seeing my home in daylight until the weekends. So today shall be a good one with good food and films.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
[...] I sat through Sherlock last night. Couldn't get into it at all. ~Didn't help that they speak so fast my very old ears can't catch everything. Would have turned it off but Mr. N seemed to like it.

There's normally subtitles on iPlayer - it's the little 'S' at the bottom right! [Smile]

The fast-speaking can be rather annoying; honestly, I'm having none of it, and liberally rely on the subtitles then. (Sometimes they contain funny mistakes, but they're normally quite accurate.) I don't think that's cheating. - What was that infamous Cornish drama series of a few months ago? Couldn't acoustically grasp a word of what they were mumbling anyway!!

And in related news: I have now co-watched, with another Shippie, on iPlayer and Skype, Sherlock and we've quite enjoyed it! Lots of in-jokes there were! And many thanks for the hint about the Agatha Christie trilogy. Would have missed out on it otherwise, but will now have to indulge in that mayhem too! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since we had an unChristmas, there seemed little point in waiting to unEpiphany to clear away the cards.

The calendars are up - sent for to Germany which seems the only place to get the sort we like, large format and 90% picture to text. Romantische Malerei* in the dining room, Nordseekuste** and Lichtblicke*** as postcard-a-week desk calendars.

I shall wait for the January reductions to pick up a couple more for the scullery, solar etc.

*Romantic painters
**North Sea coast
***Light views

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I left on 22 December, which was about when I would have put decorations up, and returned on 29 December. So no decorations to take down here. (A surfeit of Christmas in education establishments and trees, baubles and lights normally in use elsewhere means I don't have all the decorations to do anything until term ends anyway.)

I took the work tree down on 18 December, one of the moments I wandered around refocussing as I worked late to finish off everything that needed doing. Mostly because a deep clean and work was booked over the holidays and I suspected that the cleaners would just throw it out.

It's grey and dull here, and although I have a NY plan to get out and walk daily, I suspect I have a chest infection, which is causing an enthusiasm deficit.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good for Lothlorien and Piglet. Our tree went up the Monday of Christmas week and will be coming down on the 5th.
Our church lights may not come down till Candlemas so that our vicar has a chance to see them - poor man has been in hospital with pneumonia, but is back home recuperating.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

I'm with Boogie on the decorations - I don't like them hanging about into the new year. The first year Mr Nen and I were married he was shocked when I proposed taking them down the day after Boxing Day [Eek!] . So they're allowed to stay up until after New Year's Day, but they have to be down before work starts back in earnest or, in the past, before the kids went back to school.

They go up mid-December, though - I insist they are up by my birthday on the 15th as that's what happened when I was a child so it wouldn't be a proper birthday for me without them. It's just as well I have this reason, as Mr Nen is Bah Humbug about the run-up to Christmas and left to himself probably wouldn't put them up until Christmas Eve.

We've spent the afternoon packing everything away, and dusting and hoovering. Tomorrow the real business of the new year starts. [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016