homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My ambitions as a domestic goddess have taken a sharp downturn as our oven (fitted last July!) no longer has an effectively-functioning thermostat. Having noticed that we'd had a week or so of exceedingly well done meals (read: burnt offerings [Mad] ) we bought an oven thermometer and, being scientifically-trained, plotted a graph which showed that at 50 degrees on the oven the actual temperature was about 100 - and so on.

Emailed customer services with these details, and then rang them after two days of non-response. They managed to send an engineer out after a week (!) who then announced that yes indeed the thermostat needed to be replaced but he hadn't got one [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

I asked him why - when I'd gone to the trouble of explaining exactly what was wrong - customer services hadn't thought to make sure he had a thermostat of the correct spec before he came out, and his answer was that they didn't have time to do it! I am flabbergasted that it is apparently cheaper to send an engineer and van out for an hour, and then make him do the same thing again when the ruddy thing turns up, than to get the customer service department to do it from the comfort of their own computer screens!

(He's supposed to return next Friday to replace it. Every time I use it I'm hovering over the cooker, watching the thermometer - currently, at an indicated 75 degrees, the oven reads 200 or so!)

Sorry - rant over - but I can only slaver longingly over anyone's recipes at the moment. I suppose my oven would be brilliant for baked Alaska, but there's no chance of ordinary meringues!

The frustrated Mrs. S [Mad]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mrs.S you have my sympathies! Trouble is, its US who pay for the crazy inefficiency of these people!

Can you use the microwave instead? Not the same, but you can usually see what its doing!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have mercy upon us, miserable sinners - it must be Lent, we sang the Litany this morning. Not greeted with universal joy by some of the congregation but, as the PP pointed out, it is meant to be a penitential season!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Mrs.S you have my sympathies! Trouble is, its US who pay for the crazy inefficiency of these people!

Can you use the microwave instead? Not the same, but you can usually see what its doing!

I could and do, Nicodemia, and the slow cooker is invaluable - but I would really like my oven back!

Thanks for your sympathies, they are appreciated, and I know I'm luckier than so, so many people - my MiL, f'rinstance, who cooked for years on two electric rings ...

Mrs. S, counting her blessings [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Have mercy upon us, miserable sinners - it must be Lent, we sang the Litany this morning. Not greeted with universal joy by some of the congregation but, as the PP pointed out, it is meant to be a penitential season!

We did as well, complete with a mystery procession. I'm sure the thurifer was making up the route as he went along.

[ 14. February 2016, 16:33: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad to hear someone else out there still uses The Litany: do you do the whole thing, or stop at before The Lord's Prayer?

It being a Eucharist, we finished just before the Lord's Prayer and then continued with the rest of the service (Litany took the place of the intercessions). However, when we have it at a Matins we do the whole thing.

Oddly enough, our Junior Choristers don't mind it - they particularly like the bit about batttle, murder and sudden death!

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here it's done in procession on the second Sunday of Lent and the second Sunday of Advent. I rather like it.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just waiting for the train now to take us to the airport. We've had a smashing few days visiting Mike's many friends of a great variety of nationalities and ages. What do they all have in common? - they love to party! I have never been to so many parties in such a short space of time!

Home now for a rest [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's half term. Bliss. I have celebrated, as it were, by actually cleaning my flat somewhat. In all the madness of the past two weeks, it resembled something of a dumping ground, which is kind of what happens when you come in, dump bag, shower, bed. And repeat for the best part of a week. Still, it looks much better now, and I'm looking forward to a week of peace and quiet!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfruit:
It's half term. Bliss. I have celebrated, as it were, by actually cleaning my flat somewhat. In all the madness of the past two weeks, it resembled something of a dumping ground, which is kind of what happens when you come in, dump bag, shower, bed. And repeat for the best part of a week. Still, it looks much better now, and I'm looking forward to a week of peace and quiet!

I love school holidays. The roads are clear. I wish schools were on holiday every week.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I love school holidays. The roads are clear. I wish schools were on holiday every week.

I wish someone had told that to the car drivers around my area today. Sat on the bus, we got stuck in a traffic jam and instead of arriving at work at 8:40ish, I didn't get in until after 9.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... I love school holidays. The roads are clear ...

When we lived in Carrickfergus, our commute into Belfast was always noticeably shorter during the school holidays, despite the fact that during term-time most of the cars didn't appear to have schoolchildren in them.

Never quite worked that one out. [Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... I love school holidays. The roads are clear ...

When we lived in Carrickfergus, our commute into Belfast was always noticeably shorter during the school holidays, despite the fact that during term-time most of the cars didn't appear to have schoolchildren in them.

Never quite worked that one out. [Confused]

Lots of people work term time only or take time off during school holidays.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

True enough, KLB, but the difference always seemed more dramatic than that. Not that we minded, you understand - it certainly made the journey less fraught.

It seems to be getting a bit blustrous outside. Possibly not surprising considering that this morning it was -12° and by Wednesday it's supposed to go up to +7° - swift changes from warm to cold air tend to make the atmosphere move about a bit.

Winter's really not over yet ... [Frown]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

As my sainted MiL used to remark, it's cold enough for a row of daffodils here! [Confused]

She would also refer to 'cold enough for a walking stick' - ah, how I miss those bizarre Lincolnshire expressions...

Mrs. S, glad to be in here rather than out there with the daffodils [Smile]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My MIL would always say "its as black as Newgate's knocker" when a dark storm was brewing.

Obviously those in the East of England (She was Kent born and bred) can find great expressions to illustrate their every day speech!! [Smile]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Nicodemia, MiL's version was 'it's black over the back of Bill's mother's' - though whether Bill was related to everyone's Uncle Bob, I couldn't tell you.

Mrs. S, still shivering in the nithering* cold [Eek!]

* another of MiL's words ...

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It’s gone distinctly parky here as well. Just as the heating decides to play up. The bugger is that it is a central system running through the whole building so it doesn’t get sorted out until the management are prevailed upon to do something about it.

On the other hand, on Saturday night we are having a Star Wars theme party. I have been making my very own fluffy Ewok outfit so I should be lovely and warm. Our poor cleaner is also going to be hoovering up faux fur for about the next six months [Hot and Hormonal] .

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another part of Blighty that is distinctly chilly...although the frost has melted from my car, now! And there is a blue sky - yay! and sunshine - double yay!

Kettle will be in on a couple of minutes - anyone for tea?

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been looking at hotels in a town a couple of hours away today and it was definitely NOT parky! The place is a bit like Swindon or Crewe in that it owes its existence solely to the railway junction - but on a rather smaller scale. Some nice hotels, as well as some decidedly grotty ones, so the trip was a success - now to book the tickets: out on Sunday morning and back on Monday morning. I know it's an extravagance but I'll go air-con both ways - I've decided I deserve it!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did you physically look at the hotels? And now you're booking a ticket to go there again? [Confused]

It doesn't like an exciting place to be, unless perhaps you're interested in trains?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
... I have been making my very own fluffy Ewok outfit ...

According to the Law of Murphy, that should guarantee that they'll have fixed the heating by then ... [Big Grin]

We were observing on the way to w*rk today that the snow we had at the weekend must have been more substantial than we thought at the time. It never really looked like a proper blizzard (although it lasted quite a while), but the heaps ploughed up on the pavements and street corners would suggest otherwise.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
It’s gone distinctly parky here as well. Just as the heating decides to play up.

We had that yesterday at the office. I was sitting there with my coat on until nearly lunchtime. Fixed now but still on the cool side. Still, better than being outdoors.

Snow is promised for tomorrow night but I'll believe it when I see it.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Nicodemia, MiL's version was 'it's black over the back of Bill's mother's' - though whether Bill was related to everyone's Uncle Bob, I couldn't tell you.

The Northamptonshire equivalent is very close to that: "It's a bit black over Bill's mother's". I thought everyone said that, till I moved to London and my then flatmates looked at me like I was an idiot when I said it.

You'll no doubt be unsurprised to learn that it's a bit parky in Scotland too today.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
crunt
Shipmate
# 1321

- Posted      Profile for crunt   Author's homepage   Email crunt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

The Northamptonshire equivalent is very close to that: "It's a bit black over Bill's mother's". I thought everyone said that, till I moved to London and my then flatmates looked at me like I was an idiot when I said it.

You'll no doubt be unsurprised to learn that it's a bit parky in Scotland too today.

I knew it as a Derbyshire expression; I worked with a guy who used to say it. In the (rougher parts of) the South Wales Valleys you'd hear "black as forty arseholes"

--------------------
QUIZ: Bible
QUIZ: world religions
LTL Discussion
languagespider.com

Posts: 269 | From: Up country in the middle of Malaysia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Did you physically look at the hotels? And now you're booking a ticket to go there again? [Confused]

It doesn't like an exciting place to be, unless perhaps you're interested in trains?

It's midway between here and the home of a friend and we had agreed to meet up and there is sort of convenient so I volunteered to have a look and see if anywhere decent to stay - it's definitely not on the tourist trail and I got a few bemused looks but the hotel staff were mostly friendly and there are several places that are passable so it's all sorted.

One of the many advantages of retirement is that I can just go and do things on a whim if I fancy it.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It never ceases to amaze and appall me at the varieties of life one can come across in the matter of a few hours.

Last night, I spent a lovely evening in a corporate box at the millenium dome for an Ennio Morricone concert. He was conducting the Czech National Symphony Orchestra, doing some of the repertoire of 60 years of his work. The Sergio Leone soundtracks were especially popular.

Then this morning on the way to work, I passed by a portico where I know a lot of homeless people stay overnight. Only this morning it has a police cordon round it and I could see that one of the pillows was soaked in blood. My assumption (and I hope I'm wrong) is that one of the folk who use that place as cover was murdered last night.

How can such beauty and such horror coexist?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is just it, creation is beauty and horror or horror and beauty. They intermingle and neither negates the other. So life is whirlpool of emotions and we have very little idea how to paddle to calmer waters or even if we want to.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Welease Woderwick: One of the many advantages of retirement is that I can just go and do things on a whim if I fancy it.
Yeah, rub it in [Smile]

Hope you have a good time with your friend.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rain rain, pouring rain, 3 wet dogs steaming [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by Welease Woderwick
quote:
One of the many advantages of retirement is that I can just go and do things on a whim if I fancy it.
Well, aren't you the lucky one.

Some of us either worked for a church or two and there was no pension scheme, or we have been self-employed: either way, we haven't been able to get an inflated pension pot thanks to the contribution of an employer (or other taxpayers if you've worked for government).

Some of us will have been doing our best to put aside money for retirement and will be living on a financial knife-edge until the day we stop breathing.

Do things on a whim? Stay in a hotel on a whim? You have got to be kidding.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The hotel where Welease Woderwick, the gentleman formerly known as HWMBO, and I stayed a couple of nights in Mysore in 2011 cost only £5 a room.

It was fairly basic but suited me as I am not a sophisticated person.

Only a fairly minor whim would be needed to stay there.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Do things on a whim? Stay in a hotel on a whim? You have got to be kidding.

**passes coffee and cake to L'organist and suggests she sits down**

We are off to Majorca on a whim - I am with Wodders, whims are great! I taught 10 year olds for 40 years - I deserve the occasional whim - haha [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

The cheapest hotel I ever stayed in was in Honduras. It cost around 30p a night. The walls between the rooms didn't go up to the ceiling, so you had a nice hearing of what happened next door. In the room to my left, three people were having a card game and threatening each other over money (they probably had arms). In the room of my right, two men were discussing how to take turns with the prostitute they had brought into the room.

Erm …

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and return fare from Local Larger Town to Strange Rail Junction in unreserved 72 pence!

And have no fear, I know just how fortunate I am and it feels embarrassing sometimes - if I had remained in UK I think I would have had to take another job after retirement as my pension is not that massive. Whether my mental health would have allowed such a thing at the time is a moot point but...

Ah well, I'm here and I'm managing, most of the time, and I haven't had an antidepressant in many years - and at 66, soon to be 67, am probably unemployable!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm sure that a good curry counts as an antidepressant.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I'm sure that a good curry counts as an antidepressant.

It's certainly good as an antidote to constipation.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I suspect I'm going to have to work until I drop; although I have a frozen pension from the time I worked in Northern Ireland,* I had 7 years here when I wasn't eligible to work, and we couldn't afford to put anything away, and as I'm only part-time I doubt if anything I get from my present job will amount to much.

If you move abroad, you take a gamble - there are certain countries where British pensions are not index-linked, and Canada is one of them. There's a group of expat pensioners trying to get the Government to iron out this inequality, but without any success so far.

Ironically, an advert just appeared in my computer's side-bar saying "Retire on $1300 Per Month - The Best Places to Retire in 2016", but when I clicked on it, it wanted me to sign up for something.

Just as well I love my job - I may be doing it for some time ... [Paranoid]

Schoolteachers here seem to get a very good deal - once they have 30 years' service, they can retire on a very generous pension, so many will be retired not long after hitting 50.

* The date on which I become eligible for this seems to get later every time they send me any information.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I have worked in 8–9 countries by now and my pensions are definitely a mess. I have no idea how much I'll receive and when.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've decided to try and get to Mass at least once during the week during Lent. I turned up today and discovered that there is a bring and share lunch after Mass on Wednesday. A nice surprise and a chance to get to meet some other parishioners (I haven't been going to this church long).
As for pensions my solution is that we sell up and move somewhere much cheaper when we finally stop working, house prices in our area of London being a bit on the silly side.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Brace yourselves - it looks as if you may be in for a bit of weather.
quote:
Met Office forecasters are predicting up to two inches, (5 cm), of snow on higher ground and 2cm on lower ground.
That would barely register over here. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The kids here would love a snow day!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had about 1 cm snow on Sunday afternoon and night in the White Peak - pretty icing on the hills, not great to be out in when it came down. It was all pretty much melted by 10am on Monday, barring the odd patch in the shade.

The White Peak is the southern bit of the Peak District, which is mostly limestone villages, stone walls and fields, in contrast the the peat moorland of the northern Dark Peak.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

When I was growing up in Orkney, which despite its latitude doesn't get that much snow, we reckoned it was a pretty duff winter if we didn't get a snow-day or two.

In the 15 years we lived in Belfast, I think we probably had a total of about 6 inches of snow; although there were places out in the country that would get more, it really was a rarity in the city. When we got a light dusting (less than half an inch) one Christmas Eve, it excited the choristers no end; some of the younger ones had never seen snow before.

It did, of course, bring the entire province to a standstill ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I lived in Belfast in the late '60s, there was no measurable snow for two years. Then I had a baby and had to push a pram. We had a enough snow after that to make things difficult. [Waterworks]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Not that I can speak from experience, but I should imagine than even the slightest wee squit of snow would make manoeuvring a pram difficult.

I was just about to go into Domestic Goddess mode and make a batch of red pepper jelly (I'd even got the sugar measured out) when I discovered that I only had half a cup of vinegar, so D's been dispatched to the supermarket ...

Oops. [Hot and Hormonal]

brainless piglet

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Not that I can speak from experience, but I should imagine than even the slightest wee squit of snow would make manoeuvring a pram difficult.

From experience, fresh snow is just fine. Frozen over virgin snow is a bit heavy going, but doable. Snow that has been frozen in ruts because there was foot / pram / bicycle traffic yesterday, it froze overnight, and the selfish git who owns the house next to that stretch of footpath hasn't been out to shovel it, on the other hand, is really really bad.

(I imagine a sliver cross-style pram with large wheels would do rather better on that than the typical collapsible design with small plastic swivelly wheels.)

Once or twice, the snow was sufficiently deep that I left the pram at home and strapped the baby onto a sled.

[ 19. February 2016, 06:08: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've only had one winter with any snow since we've had a buggy/pray thingy. It was brilliant at cleaning the wheels! (But I've got one which is quite off roady with big chunky wheels).

Heavy frost here today. Going to ace to de-ice the cars. But a half day as I'm taking my godson and his brother to the theatre this afternoon

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Good morning all, frosty and clear(ish) here. Tatze loves the frost and skids around the decking like a child would [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

From experience, fresh snow is just fine. Frozen over virgin snow is a bit heavy going, but doable. Snow that has been frozen in ruts because there was foot / pram / bicycle traffic yesterday, it froze overnight, and the selfish git who owns the house next to that stretch of footpath hasn't been out to shovel it, on the other hand, is really really bad.

(I imagine a sliver cross-style pram with large wheels would do rather better on that than the typical collapsible design with small plastic swivelly wheels.)

Once or twice, the snow was sufficiently deep that I left the pram at home and strapped the baby onto a sled.

Anything refrozen is evil. It belongs in a glass with strong drink, not outdoors on paths and roads.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016