homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The full moon here is glorious tonight. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But all of a sudden it's so cold! Again.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's the trouble with glorious full moons - they need clear skies, which usually mean it's cold ... [Big Grin]

The wind's eased off a bit now (it was gusting at over 100 km/h at lunchtime), and there's a bit of snow blowing about.

I'm pottering about on here while I wait for the bread-machine to do its thing for a batch of French sticks.

Mustn't forget about it like I did last time. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The full moon was glorious here, too, as I went for my dawn walk.

Today, NOT next week, I must get organised!

...but first I'll read the last three chapters of an online story.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think reading chapters of a story is vital.
Might need a nice tea to go with it, though.

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And a bun. Or possibly a banana?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I finished the story, we went shopping, we came back, we had lunch and I've just woken from a 2 hour nap so I'm getting there slowly.

[Big Grin]

I have also written a grumpy letter to the Head Office of my bank [cc to the local branch] complaining about being hijacked into their Preferred Customer Scheme with neither consultation nor consent and have then been charged for the privilege! I never wanted to join the scheme in the first place! I have asked both personally and by phone to be removed from the scheme with, so far, no success whatsoever.

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

I have reminded them that there are other banks out there and that I can always transfer my account elsewhere.

I am not a natural complainer but when moved to the tipping point I can really quite enjoy it.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
D's brother-in-law, who is in general a very mild-mannered sort of chap*, is an absolute whiz at writing letters of complaint if he feels he's been on the receiving-end of duff goods or services. I'm not sure how he does it, but he's been known to get compensatory freebies such as tickets on the Eurotunnel just as a result of letting them know about some shortcoming or other.

* if you knew D's sister, you'd understand why ... [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After a sunny and glorious day yesterday the weather looks to be more typical of a bank holiday weekend with heavy rain and strong winds forecast (and the latter looking to have already started). At least it means I won't feel guilty for snuggling up under a blanket with a cat, my knitting and after today, a supply of Eastr eggs!
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just bought myself the complete box set of Father Ted. I'm relying on Dougal and Mrs Doyle to brighten up a grey, rainy Easter day.
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blimey, it's grim out there. It wasn't bad early when I went into town to buy last minute bits-and-bobs and stopped to eat a falafel and sauerkraut (inauthentic, but tasty) from a cart in the market. Now, it's 4.30 and I've had to put the light on and I can hear the wind howling through the walls.

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
At least it means I won't feel guilty for snuggling up under a blanket with a cat, my knitting and after today, a supply of Eastr eggs!

I hate to say it, Chocoholic, but a cat and knitting at the same time sounds like a recipe for disaster [Biased]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah you may be right, it depends if they are sleeping. If not I don't even try!
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I've just bought myself the complete box set of Father Ted. I'm relying on Dougal and Mrs Doyle to brighten up a grey, rainy Easter day.

How marvellous, I love the episode "speed" with Dougal and the milkfloat. Just marvellous. "I love a good mass". Such a great line.

In the supermarket yesterday and a cheery supermarket checkout person - I got a few offers and his line on that "it's a great day to be alive". That made my little day.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re: Father Ted, the Father Dougal's 'I love a pop tart' line always cracks me up as does Father Jack waking up to the clink of bottles to yell 'chardonnay'.
It is settling in here to be norrible. We've just eaten the only chocolate in the house.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many favourite moments and wonderful lines but I have a special place in my heart for "My Lovely Horse". And have been known to sing it in the car.

I've made a chocolate fudge cake (from a packet mix). There's nothing like a hunk of freshly baked cake, still hot from the oven, and the flat smells wonderful.

"My Lovely Cake
Where are you going
With your crumbs disintegrating
All over my plate

I want to eat the lot
But if I do I will
Have to take myself off
To the Dentist..."

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
These cows are small, those cows are far away. [Killing me]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Many favourite moments and wonderful lines but I have a special place in my heart for "My Lovely Horse". And have been known to sing it in the car.

Not just me then. It was released as a single at the time, sung by Neil Hannon of The Divine Comedy (who recorded the theme song) which I bought for a friend. I still get texts from her at odd moments asking "Where are you going, with your fetlocks blowing in the wind"?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Father Ted is a work of genius; I think one of my favourite quotes is "I just said 'feck' to the Bishop!!!"

I've been a moderately busy piglet today: we had a friend round for pre-Easter dinner, for which I did lamb-shanks (aren't slow-cookers wonderful?).

I also made some bread-sticks yesterday (first attempt; will definitely do again) to form part of the starters, along with charcuterie, pâté and home-made roasted red pepper spread, which all went down rather well.

[ 27. March 2016, 03:33: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I bought a lamb shank for today and realized too late that this isn't going to be as quick a cooking job as I wanted. I don't have a slow cooker and don't want to have to braise it for 2.5 hours (when what I wanted was a simple roast) but see no way round it. Nor did I want to have to think about putting the oven on for lunch at 10 am. Ho hum.

(Yes I am grateful I have food to cook and the means to cook it, although it may not be what I had in mind.)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
These cows are small, those cows are far away. [Killing me]

Funnily enough we were discussing this on Good Friday - Crosthwaite church being the spur (it looks tiny until you realise it's a long way away... logical, but something to do with the way it can be seen from the road).

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Contrary to the weathermen, my cross-country runs to and from Hereford on Good Friday and today were glorious. Yesterday, however, was only good for indoor amusements, namely G&T and Canasta.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:

Not just me then. It was released as a single at the time, sung by Neil Hannon of The Divine Comedy (who recorded the theme song) which I bought for a friend. I still get texts from her at odd moments asking "Where are you going, with your fetlocks blowing in the wind"?
Last night at the Easter Vigil I chanted the gospel reading. This is done by singing on one note and going down a third at the end of every sentence. It reminded me of Ted & Dougal's rendition of that classic song.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There seems to be some weather out there.
This may scupper our plans to visit Savill Gardens this morning. Well, unless we take a rubber dinghy and a Sou'Wester...

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Just really grateful I don't have to attempt going to work today. Wind speed being what it is, I'd anticipate arriving in about 5 minutes. Assuming no fallen trees in the way.

With each gust my flat is vibrating as if someone's turned the bass beat up. Fingers crossed no power cuts, this is a day for staying in.

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I woke up to find my garden table and chairs strewn across the lawn. One of the chairs is clearly broken, fingers crossed the table is OK.

I'm certainly not going outside until the wind eases. Looks like we'll all have a jolly afternoon of playing find-the-dustbin-and-matching-lid in our street.

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's blowing quite a hoolie out there! Current abode is a couple of hundred feet higher than previous abode and whilst it seems more secluded, being far end of a longish cul-de-sac, it seems to rattle a whole load more.

I have discovered after a very blustery walk along the road by the reservoir yesterday being several stone lighter is a distinct disadvantage in the wind! I did have to stop several times to re-balance myself!! [Eek!]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just drizzle here up Norf. I'm putting off taking the dogs out as it's forecast fine for a couple of hour at mid day.

When does the Spring sunshine arrive, please?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wild and wet here in the night but calming down a bit now. I gather Storm Katie is similar in shape to the Great Storm of 1987, though nowhere near its intensity. We lived on the south coast in 1987 and it was absolutely terrifying. [Eek!]

In other news, Nenlet2 is home for the weekend and last night Nenlet1 came over with her husband and we all had a lovely family meal. [Axe murder]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lamp posts are swaying quite dramatically

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stay safe southerners, and please don't blow the storm north, we have had enough storms here this year. Can't believe we have got up to Kate already.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

A crane in Greenwich, bent by the wind. (From the BBC news site.)
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The weather was so horrible here dahn sarf that we were sufficiently bored to do the shredding! [Eek!]

Japes - that's a real achievement, well done! [Overused]

Mrs. S, looking out a nice jigsaw puzzle

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope you all Down there are OK! Not much wind to speak of up here, just blustery.

But I read somewhere that "they don't know the time of arrival of Storm Lawrence yet" !!! Its on its way then, bet it comes north. Again.

What Spring Sunshine????

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like it when people post pictures on Twitter of a flower pot that has fallen over: "such carnage, but we'll build the nation up again!" [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief

Ship's pirate
# 2049

- Posted      Profile for JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Katie has calmed,
we have sunshine in East Anglia.

--------------------
Written from my alternative universe.

Posts: 1101 | From: East Anglia in the UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief:
Katie has calmed,

Hey, Joyfulnoise! Long time no see. How are things?

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief:
Katie has calmed,

Not in this bit we don't. Katie hasn't entirely finished with Norfolk, apparently, though she is calming down a bit. Or was.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Just drizzle here up Norf. I'm putting off taking the dogs out as it's forecast fine for a couple of hour at mid day.

When does the Spring sunshine arrive, please?

Do you ever get sunshine in the rain magnet you live in. [Biased]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's a Bank Holiday - what sort of weather do you expect??? [Devil]

I wonder if you're now getting the weather we had last week - we had a fair bit of blustrousness, but not nearly enough to give it a name.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have people solved this one? It looks rather obvious to me. Or am I missing something?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dunno, looks obvious to me too.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went out this afternoon as it was a lovely sunny day and found that half the countryside is now under water. This included a significant part of the car park I'd just arrived at.

I went away as there was no parking space left and off to a tiny country village where I can almost always find a space, only to find it was packed out with people apparently wanting to visit a museum of agricultural vehicles. To which virtually nobody ever goes. That's Bank Holiday desperation for you I suppose.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I always love to visit a museum of agricultural vehicles.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Have people solved this one? It looks rather obvious to me. Or am I missing something?

If Anne is married, she’s looking at George, who is unmarried. If Anne is unmarried, Jack is looking at her.

If I can get it, it's VERY obvious!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Poked my nose out of door this afternoon. Pleased to report that the garden table is NOT broken and the dustbin lids were actually still in the front garden. Curiously, the dustbins themselves had been blown further than the lids. Anyway, I got everything matched up without arguments with the neighbours.

Not much storm damage around here apart from a large conifer blown down in the park. The pictures on the news look nasty - roofs blown off and scaffolding blown down - but nowhere near as bad as 1987.

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

If Anne is married, she’s looking at George, who is unmarried. If Anne is unmarried, Jack is looking at her.

If I can get it, it's VERY obvious!

Surely the answer is "We don't know", as we've not been told of Anne's marital status?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
I always love to visit a museum of agricultural vehicles.

Did you watch The Night Manager? Nightmares over agricultural vehicles!

[Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Boogie: Did you watch The Night Manager? Nightmares over agricultural vehicles!
No sorry, I don't watch a lot of stuff.

--------------------

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

I'm not sure what the q is ....????
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

Was a loading issue, it's loaded now. My money is on "don't know"

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016