homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh I've seen the answer now. Facepalm.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
It's a Bank Holiday - what sort of weather do you expect??? [Devil]

Here north of the border, apart from a few spits and spots of rain, it has been very nice - mostly blue skies, bit of a breeze but nothing so strong as would uproot a plant pot. I even had the washing out on the line for a couple of hours.

The world has gone mad.

In other news, I have manflu and may not last till morning.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
In other news, I have manflu and may not last till morning.

Manflu or Manbola ??
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...The world has gone mad...

I think it always was...

...except for me, of course. I'm completely sane.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After a truly sucky week, we decided on the spur of the moment to get out of Paris for the long weekend. We headed off to Google to find a ticket going somewhere at an affordable price and found one for Rouen in Normandy.

It’s a very pretty town famous for the martyrdom of Joan of Arc. You can now commemorate this historic tragedy by buying ‘Joan of Arc’s tears’ from the local chocolaterie. These are almonds coated in cocoa and very tasty they are too. The Norman cider was also sampled for quality control purposes.

We also patronised the oldest hostelry in France – a restaurant that dates back to 1345. It’s a very picturesque building and the cooking is excellent but we found the wait service a bit pretentious.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose if you've been in business since 1345 you're entitled to a bit of pretension.
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... Surely the answer is "We don't know", as we've not been told of Anne's marital status?

That was my thinking, BT.
quote:
... I have manflu ...

Are you sure??? [Eek!]

I understand from pictures posted on FB by my sister's mob that the weather in Orkney yesterday was really rather good; although the default weather setting up there is "windy", they sometimes get nothing at all while the dustbins of the south of England are dancing a merry jig. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today on my hillock in Oxfordshire, it is sunny, windy and cloudy, with two out of three at any given time. Oh, and some rain. But warm in the sun (and bloody chilly out of it.)

[ 30. March 2016, 11:10: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Piglet: I suppose if you've been in business since 1345 you're entitled to a bit of pretension.
Now I'm imagining a Fawlty Toweresque scene: "What, the soup is too cold?? You realise that this restaurant has been in business since 1345?" [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I ventured to the local supermarket, and did battle with the rain, sun, wind, and shoppers. Not necessarily in that order.
I appear to have two lightbulbs and a packet of chicken. Let us hope that this is what I intended to purchase...

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
amber.: I appear to have two lightbulbs and a packet of chicken.
Just try not to use all of those in a meal [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps she'll have a Lightbulb Moment™ regarding what to do with the chicken.

D, who usually cooks lunch during the week while I'm at w*rk, is away for a couple of days, so when I got home I made a really rather decent (and very easy) risotto with left-over chicken and mushrooms which will feed me generously tomorrow as well.

well-fed and contented piglet

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We chanced to be in one of those small towns where Real Shops survive. Bought a couple of chops from Gloucester Old Spots. Served them in a sauce built from stock, cream, Parmesan and lemon, accompanied with potatoes roasted with mushroom and bacon.

Yes, it was extremely good.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every year at the end of the academic year for schools, so end of March, I buy the local lads a football. I gave them this year's one last week and had a lovely rant at them this morning that I'd spent all this money getting them a football and all they do is kick it! I also managed to keep a straight face throughout, kind of essential when dealing with 12-15 year olds.

They all seem to think that the local foreigner is completely mad but they don't like to say so because kids don't say that sort of thing to venerable adults here.

To be fair it is wonderful to live as an old man in a culture where age is venerated, unlike downtown Merseyside where I used to live and work and have my being.

eta: I am a non-meat eater but that meal sounds delicious Firenze - a sauce made of combination of stock, cream, Parmesan and lemon will enhance just about anything.

[ 31. March 2016, 06:48: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Help! Just lost half a tooth (molar, since you ask) and the dentist is closed until Monday!

Fortunately it doesn't hurt. At the moment. I think crispy crunchy delights are out for the present. [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Help! Just lost half a tooth

That was careless of you. Where did you last have it?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There may be an emergency dental centre you could ring in the interim? Though if you say you aren't in pain they may advise you to leave it until your regular dentist reopens.

Good luck and go very carefully...

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
...I think crispy crunchy delights are out for the present. [Frown]

Oh, I think Deep-fried cat should still be okay.

[Two face]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Help! Just lost half a tooth (molar, since you ask) and the dentist is closed until Monday!

Fortunately it doesn't hurt. At the moment. I think crispy crunchy delights are out for the present. [Frown]

I swore off popcorn last year after I broke a molar chewing some. There was so little tooth left that I had to have a crown. My budget is still reeling.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... They all seem to think that the local foreigner is completely mad ...

Surely not. [Devil]
quote:
I think Deep-fried cat should still be okay.

A Vegetarian Has Spoken. [Big Grin]

D's been away for a couple of days and gets back this evening; I'm thinking we should take advantage of an offer which expires tonight at our new favourite eaterie - three generous glasses of wine (you can pick any three from a selection of three white and three red) for $20 with the purchase of a main course. Seems like an appropriate welcome back, don't you think?

I think it's rather clever, especially for people like me who might want white with a fishy first course and red with a meaty main.

Will report back. [Smile]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Every year at the end of the academic year for schools, so end of March, I buy the local lads a football. I gave them this year's one last week and had a lovely rant at them this morning that I'd spent all this money getting them a football and all they do is kick it! I also managed to keep a straight face throughout, kind of essential when dealing with 12-15 year olds.

They all seem to think that the local foreigner is completely mad but they don't like to say so because kids don't say that sort of thing to venerable adults here.

To be fair it is wonderful to live as an old man in a culture where age is venerated, unlike downtown Merseyside where I used to live and work and have my being.

Would you like to swap? We've got a group of kids round here at the moment perfectly capable of finding their own football who enjoy kicking it at my windows. [Mad]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I spent most of the '70s working in residential child care with some fairly difficult adolescent lads - I reckon I've done my share.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think that's fair enough [Smile]

They're not actually mugging old ladies on street corners, they could just do with a bit more hands on parenting. In the meantime though, I'm developing a tick every time I hear a football bounce.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Meantime it is the beginning of April and, right on cue, summer seems to have arrived. Piglet would not be happy with the temperatures! I love it, providing I don't have to go out in the midday sun. When hanging out the washing on the roof I do little dashes into the sun, hang up an item or two and then back under the aluminium roof to get the next pieces ready.

The weather forecast on my new phone keeps predicting localised thunder storms but they are not here yet, they always start the other side of the river so we probably have a couple of weeks before they bother us.

A couple of months of this and then monsoon will hopefully arrive about the time the schools go back - all the kids sporting their new umbrellas. When the rains arrive the temperatures plummet and the blankets come out for use at night.

Gosh but I love living here!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... providing I don't have to go out in the midday sun ...

Oh but you do! [Big Grin]

In other news, we did go to JAG last night, and the wine deal was v. nice (I had two glasses of Pinot Grigio and one of Malbec). [Biased]

So was the food - D. had a salad with feta, cranberries and all sorts of other nice things, and I had a v. nice pasta and sausage thing.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
In other news, we did go to JAG last night, and the wine deal was v. nice (I had two glasses of Pinot Grigio and one of Malbec). [Biased]

O to be young again. I doubt I could cope with three glasses of wine these days. Especially as glasses are bigger than they used to be.

Last night I reached out to put my reading glasses on the bedside table and managed to knock a vase over. So much for an early night. Some time later I was crawling back into a soggy bed but the tulips were now back in the vase, the table was drying off and so was I, the book had been squeezed free of water, the rug would be all right by morning, and the hairdryer would probably be safe to use in a few days' time.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Flowers? Flowers? The bedside table holds -

• The clock radio with illuminated display so that you can see which small hour of the morning you are awake at
  • Scheduled pills
  • Occasional pills
  • Bottle of water for washing down pills
  • Second bottle because you always wake thirsty
  • Small box containing hearing aid
  • Other small box with ear plugs
  • Ointment for rubbing on bits that are sore
  • Ointment for bits that are merely dry and flaking
  • Bedside light for trying to discover where fumbled pill/waterbottle/earplug/jar of goop has rolled to.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... O to be young again. I doubt I could cope with three glasses of wine these days.

I'm not all that young either! In fairness, D. had a couple of slurps (we'd planned that I'd have two glasses and he'd have one, but the deal didn't work that way). I took a couple of paracetamol and a glass of water before I went to bed, just in case. [Big Grin]

I think I'm probably with Firenze re the contents of one's bedside-table; it wouldn't occur to me to put flowers there, as I'd be bound to knock them over.

Ours contains a giant alarm clock (whose alarm doesn't work) as I'm as blind as a bat without my contact lenses, a little one (whose alarm does work), a knitted Piglet and a couple of teddy-bears. The lamp is on D's side, as he reads in bed and I don't.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

"The bedside table"?

As well as the flowers - which I'd bought for Easter and moved into the coolest room in the house while they lasted - there's also a tiny 2" alarm clock, a lamp, and a pot of face cream which I never remember to use and is there to remind me by its existence.

Books seem to accumulate so rapidly in the bedroom that there always seem to be at least two piles on the other bedside table (which is actually a trunk covered with a William Morris cloth). There's a second lamp and a radio on that and another pile of books on the floor next to it.

I need to move as I am running out of room for books and in rented accommodation can't put up any shelves.

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a bedside chest of drawers on top of which lives the alarm clock, the radio, the bedside lamp, the current bedtime reading book and my glasses when not required. (Very limited vision without my glasses, me.)

The top drawer contains the hand and feet creams, plasters, occasional pills, (regular pills live by the kettle as I need to take those with food and food is banned upstairs) nail cutting devices, and a couple of books ready for when I need a new one, but can't be bothered to get out of bed!

One of my many reasons for moving house last summer was the need for more space for books and when I was getting bookcases I did allow for expansion in the book collection... Well, it would've been a waste of a delivery charge if I'd not made the most of it!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

The tulips are past it so I've now bought a bunch of blue hyacinths to replace them.

I'd forgotten the pleasure of waking up in the morning to a room filled with the scent of fresh flowers, especially when they're daffodils. And I was surprised and pleased to find that some of the tulips actually had a sweet, delicate scent.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You have inspired a heavenly thread [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Waving to all. Just returned from a very nice lunch with the 'old girls' of our school. Temperatures of 18 degrees, too. Must be Spring!
I shall hasten to find the heavenly thread also.

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

This looks as if it's going to be an "eating" week*. We had a very nice brunch today with a couple of old friends who we hadn't seen for ages, then accepted an invitation to another friend's for supper on Tuesday, and the students at the college where D. teaches are having their end-of-term bash at a rather nice restaurant on Wednesday.

Perhaps the rest of the week ought to be "clearing-out-the-freezer" days, or maybe "beans-on-toast" days.

* Yes, Wodders, I know ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I try to use everything but even so, I still need to clean out freezer periodically. Then I have to remember just why I bought certain meat or cut thereof. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Grandchildren from one family used to have dinner here every fortnight and there was always something child friendly in the freezer. They have been here, but not for a meal. If we need something, I will send son up the road to shops. Better than a large pack taking up space.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This looks as if it's going to be an "eating" week*. We had a very nice brunch today with a couple of old friends who we hadn't seen for ages, then accepted an invitation to another friend's for supper on Tuesday, and the students at the college where D. teaches are having their end-of-term bash at a rather nice restaurant on Wednesday.

Perhaps the rest of the week ought to be "clearing-out-the-freezer" days, or maybe "beans-on-toast" days.

* Yes, Wodders, I know ... [Big Grin]

Our Newfie friends are here this week, and I know only too well from them that every week is eating week for them. It will take many hours at the gym to recover.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Very fair point, ST. I'm a considerably larger piglet now than I was when we moved here 13 years ago; they really like their food here. [Smile]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's quite April-ish in term of weather. We had a lovely day out on Saturday, but then last night we had a few flashes of lightning.

Most importantly, though, the bluebells are out!!!! [Yipee]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Sipech: the bluebells are out!!!! [Yipee]
Yes I saw them too in MK.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope they stay out for another couple of weeks. We go away with friends to East Sussex then. One of the joys of the weekend is walking through bluebell woods .

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was trying to find options for bluebells for walking this weekend. I suspect that the East Sussex options are probably some of the best possibilities. Although Sydenham Woods did come up.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Very fair point, ST. I'm a considerably larger piglet now than I was when we moved here 13 years ago; they really like their food here. [Smile]

I'm a rather larger WW as well - when I retired here 19 years ago I was almost sylph-like but today we were in town so as Himself had to visit a Dr, which was conveniently close to an ice cream parlour I waited for him there [Big Grin]

But I did eschew lunch after a three scoop sundae!

And now I have just cooked my own supper of pasta in a Gorgonzola and Mascarpone sauce. I hope to schedule the coronary for a few years time.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eating week sounds like a very civilised idea. I have decided to contribute my bit - I very rarely bake, but giving the freezer a bit of a clearout earlier, amongst other things there I found a few pots of fruit (blackberries picked a couple of years ago, and a tub of stewed apples) so have made a crumble. I must say that my crumble mixture attempts are pretty hit and miss, but today's is definitely a hit, though I say so myself.

In other news, last week the Elf Lass brought home the class toy (a hippo) from nursery, with instructions that they were to do things together and write about them in his diary, preferably with photos. We have done this, but last night trying to print out photos we discovered that not using the colour printer for a couple of years has led to the ink drying out, so the photos are a bit of a disaster. So we will have to keep hold of him a couple of days longer till the new ink arrives and we can catalogue our adventures. I'm aiming to keep it simple - there are quite a few farm kids at the nursery, so previous entries include him in an actual (ie not toy!) tractor and riding a pony. The highlight of his stay with us was probably helping choose the bread in Lidl.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
It's quite April-ish in term of weather ...

It's blowing a hoolie here; we had to make a detour on the way to w*rk as the road leading to my office building was closed because some siding had come off a building. [Eek!]

Love your bluebells! [Smile]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Most importantly, though, the bluebells are out!!!! [Yipee]

If you're so inclined, the Woodland Trust are inviting people to add their sightings to their map. I haven't seen any so far round here but hope springs eternal and all that.

I have, however, seen butterflies: not just the tortoiseshell but also the yellow brimstone, dancing down the path before me in a country village at the weekend. Hopefully this is a good omen.

[ 04. April 2016, 16:34: Message edited by: Ariel ]

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a lovely time last week visiting my sister and her family - I haven't seen her for a while, so hadn't yet been exposed to all three kids running round the house - the baby wasn't walking last time I was there. While it was lovely to see them all, goodness me, small children are exhausting. Plus I seem to have picked up some sort of bug as I've spend the past few days curled up on the sofa feeling sorry for myself. At the moment I seem to be alternately hot and cold, which is not much fun!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moonfruit, as you may have found out from working in schools, young children are not at all perturbed about sharing their germs with all and sundry. Rest on the lounge sounds good.

[ 05. April 2016, 22:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's 6th April so:

Happy New Tax Year to all UK Taxpayers

from an ex-employee of the old Inland Revenue - a VERY long time ago! 1969-1971 to be precise.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

WW, I think after that length of time you can be forgiven for having worked for the Inland Revenue. [Big Grin]

Over here, Spring appears to have buggered off: it's been sn*wing in a half-hearted sort of way all day (the forecast was for about 8 inches, although it hasn't come to that yet). They're still offering a fair bit for tomorrow, possibly enough for a sn*w-day, which is un fat lot de bon as I'm taking the rest of the week off anyway to do some serious de-cluttering.

Murphy's Law strikes again. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Seeing as how That Piglet is talking about teddy bears on the Decluttering Thread [worry not, the bears themselves do not face decluttering] I thought I'd report that I've had to make some changes of where bears & other cuddly critters live over here and have swapped around some of the accused as they were mumbling to themselves and then to me the other night about favouritism that some get to live on my bed whilst others live on display here in the study.

Give it a week or two and they'll all want to move back to where they started!

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
WW, I think after that length of time you can be forgiven for having worked for the Inland Revenue. [Big Grin]

I didn't know that the statute of limitations applied to Inland Revenue employees.
[Snigger]

[ 06. April 2016, 10:13: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016