homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm actually getting out to the theatre this week, rather than ripping up the tickets after getting stuck in work. (It's the Easter holidays. I'm still working but managing to leave in time to get out, this week. Last week I still missed two shows). I saw an amazing solo show last night, called Labels which is still with me and saw Cymbeline at the Sam Wanamaker on Monday night. Tonight I'm seeing Howard Jacobson talk about Shylock.

(It's not as expensive as it sounds. I have ways of getting cheap tickets, including Globe standing £5 or £10 tickets and offers that mean you can get West End theatre tickets for £15 or £20.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
WW, I think after that length of time you can be forgiven for having worked for the Inland Revenue. [Big Grin]

I didn't know that the statute of limitations applied to Inland Revenue employees.
[Snigger]

I just love the warm friendliness of the Ship...

...or I would if I ever found any!

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And to add to the friendliness, these cheeky tube signs came up on my Twitter feed (procrastination are us - so peed off with never-ending work). The second one down reads:
quote:
Sometimes I question my sanity, occasionally it replies
which somehow reminded me of some of the conversations on the Ship.

(There are a lot more that are worth reading.)

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... [the bears] were mumbling to themselves and then to me the other night about favouritism that some get to live on my bed whilst others live on display here in the study ...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets a reply when talking to one's bears. [Big Grin]

Had a v. nice feed this evening with some of the staff and students of the college where D. teaches - good food (in my case, pasta Alfredo with prawns, scallops and veggies), good wine and good company. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Piglet: WW, I think after that length of time you can be forgiven for having worked for the Inland Revenue. [Big Grin]
Maybe, given the recent news, we could send him to the British Virgin Islands? [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curiosity posted:

quote:
And to add to the friendliness, these cheeky tube signs came up on my Twitter feed (procrastination are us - so peed off with never-ending work). The second one down reads:
quote:
Sometimes I question my sanity, occasionally it replies
which somehow reminded me of some of the conversations on the Ship.

(There are a lot more that are worth reading.)

They cheered my morning up tremendously!! Especially the Tube Mice

(go on, find it for yourselves!)

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Love the Very British Problems, too.

"The quiet horror of watching someone make a sandwich other than the one you ordered".

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a nice day out today, despite still not feeling completely in full health. I went to see the Delacroix exhibition at the National Gallery, which looks at his influence on other painters such as Courbet, Degas, Van Gogh etc. Very interesting - it's always fascinating seeing the real paintings up close and personal, and thinking, wow, those are the brush strokes that this painter really painted!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfruit:
I had a nice day out today, despite still not feeling completely in full health. I went to see the Delacroix exhibition at the National Gallery, which looks at his influence on other painters such as Courbet, Degas, Van Gogh etc. Very interesting - it's always fascinating seeing the real paintings up close and personal, and thinking, wow, those are the brush strokes that this painter really painted!

I once saw Van Gogh's 'Irises' at the Getty Museum outside LA, and was overwhelmed to see it just hanging on a wall at eye level, like any other painting!

Mrs. S, who can still recall that exact feeling [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
I once saw Van Gogh's 'Irises' at the Getty Museum outside LA, and was overwhelmed to see it just hanging on a wall at eye level, like any other painting!

Yes, going to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and being able to walk straight up to a famous painting and eyeball it from a few inches away gave me the same feeling.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Thank you; as a Dutchman, I'm naturally proud of this part of our heritage. I need to go to the Rijksmuseum again the next time I'm in Amsterdam.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The original of this painting is in a rather strange gallery in Mysore - it has its own room and I can just sit with it for hours.

When I was still gainfully[?] employed members of my team and I occasionally had lunch in The Lady Lever Gallery in Port Sunlight, not that far from our office, and then just wander around looking at a lot of really excellent original pre-Raphaelite stuff - and some absolute dross as well.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The original of this painting is in a rather strange gallery in Mysore - it has its own room and I can just sit with it for hours.

Oh, that is beautiful!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was young, single and stupid I got myself into a massive amount of debt which meant that nobody in their right mind would have offered me a mortgage. It took a long time to pay it all off, but as I've been a good boy for a long time Mrs Spike & I have been approved for a mortgage. All being well, we'll be moving into the new place in 6-8 weeks [Yipee]

[ 09. April 2016, 11:08: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

It looks like what Thomas Kinkade would have been like without the cheese. Trust me, that's a compliment!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Congratulations Spike & Mrs!

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Spike!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Brilliant news Spike. Good luck with the move.

That picture is amazing WW

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Waving from deepest Warwickshire, where we have taken refuge from the showers in an old and fine pub. Enjoying a weekend break in what has turned out to be a 17th century Manor House. Wonderful, peaceful, and just what's needed.
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news, Spike!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Spike and Mrs Spike. I hope the move goes well. [Votive]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been out in the garden planting potatoes. Every time I dig in my garden I find old rusted tools and ironmongery left over from when the houses were built (I assume) and sometimes specimens of pre-decimal coinage. Today's bonus was a very corroded copper coin which I think from its size must have been a farthing. Haven't seen one for years. I'm going to soak it in denture-cleaner to see if I can get rid of the corroded bits and see which year it was minted.

It's like a treasure hunt. [Smile]

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My father occasionally used to dig up Roman coins in the back garden. I still have one somewhere, about the size of a 2p piece but three times as thick, and altogether less legible. We never worked out quite what it was.

Tonight's dinner is freshly baked bread with goat's cheese, Serrano ham, black olives and roasted tomatoes. I blame Kate Mosse's "Labyrinth" for this. Unfortunately I don't have the balcony of a villa in the south of France to sit and eat it on, but I can pretend.

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, wow, Roman coins! That certainly trumps my Victorian penny.

Did your father have to notify the coroner that he'd found treasure?

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I don't think so. It wasn't exactly a great shower of them, they just used to turn up very occasionally on an individual basis. I don't think we ever had more than three at the most.

Farthings were around until about 1960 I think. I hope you can manage to see the date on yours. I liked the old coinage and remember the excitement I felt on getting a Victorian penny in my change one day (pre-decimalization). It was very worn and very thin but it was a real one from 1898!

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dug up an Edwardian penny in the garden - which I gave to my SiL as a hansel as she was buying a house of the same period at the time.

As a child I remember getting Victorian pennies - even the occasional Bun Penny. But the attraction of keeping them always lost out to the possibilty of exchanging them for a bag of indeterminate sweeties (a Penny Bag).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Australia is an ancient land but young in terms of white settlers. There are amazing fossil finds happening here but I was excited when I found a George III halfpenny with the help of a good metal detector. It was found at Ophir, a gold mining site between Orange and Bathurst in Central West if NSW. It made a welcome change from musket balls.

Unfortunately, I found no gold, although a decent sized nugget had been found in the vicinity a few months before.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whenever they're digging foundations for new buildings in Colchester, where D. comes from, they're always finding Roman bits and pieces - not just coins but sometimes the foundations of entire villas - there's layers and layers of it.

Ariel - your supper sounds utterly delicious - I'll be right over with a bottle of something white and chilled. [Big Grin]

Congratulations Spike and Mrs. Spike - exciting times! [Yipee]

You're not going to be alone in the joys (!!) of moving - D's been appointed organist of Fredericton Cathedral in New Brunswick, so Château Piglet is in the process of being made sellable.

I took a few days off w*rk last week to make a start; the combination of never thinking we'd have to move again and my being a terrible housewife means the place is a tip. So far about half a dozen bin-bags of clothes have gone to General Booth's Boutique, and the bin-men will probably have a fit on Wednesday when they see the number of bags in front of the house ... [Eek!]

As the sofa in the den was looking extremely sorry for itself, I got a black stretch cover for it which has covered a multitude of sins and made it really look quite decent.

We're hoping to get our friend/handyman Bill in next week to do a few bits and pieces of repairs, painting and whatnot, so it's going to be a busy time.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to the Spikes, and to D. and Piglet.

Exciting times!

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Fredericton, I hope you realise, will be right in the line of fire when the Maine Militias invade Canada! But you will be only about 400 kms from Boston.

Congratulations on the shift - will the climate be much different?

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Fredericton, I hope you realise, will be right in the line of fire when the Maine Militias invade Canada! But you will be only about 400 kms from Boston.

Congratulations on the shift - will the climate be much different?

Ooo, Piglet, you are getting much closer! Fredericton has a lovely cathedral and the climate is much more moderate. I did a stint there for four years and found the summers very hot. It was nice to live in a place without any winds. Hope the move goes well.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to D. on the new appointment, Piglet and my heart-felt wishes that all goes well with the move!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to Spike and Mrs Spike. Will you be in the same area? Piglet, ooh what an exciting move. Good luck with the house sorting and selling and finding somehwere you like in your new place.
We went up to London to visit the Leighton Hosue Museum yesterday. An amazing palce if you like Pre-Raphaelite art. We found a great cafe for lunch that not only had a good range of vegetarian food, but had good tea and posh loos too. We then came home via a trip on one of the 'new' London buses. All together a grand day out.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
[QUOTE]It was nice to live in a place without any winds.

You do realise Orcadians fall over when the wind stops?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good morning all - it's a glorious sunny and frosty morning here today. We have a house full.

Well, it feels full as OH returned from 3 weeks charity work in Mexico yesterday and my son and his wife are staying for the weekend.

All quiet for now 'tho - I'm an early riser and none of them are!

3000 Guide dog owners, trainers, boarders, breeding stock holders and puppy walkers frequent an FB group we call the 'Coffee Lounge'. It's a great place to chat about our dogs so I decided we could fund raise to name a pup "Coffee". We are 28% towards the total already! (£5000) It costs £50,000 to support a Guide Dog from birth to retirement.

I am featuring a different photo of a guide dog or pup on Coffee's page each day to keep the interest going.

For my 60th birthday (summer 2017) I'm going to do a wing walk to raise funds.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to the house movers, Mr. and Mrs. Spike, and Piglet, and especially to the Great Organist!

Will you be near the sea, Piglet?

And Amber, your weekend sounds just lovely, its been really sunny up here, so hope you have enjoyed some too.

Nice weekend has enticed me into the garden to do battle again with the buttercup, and also lots of other little weedy seedlings that seem to think its spring!

Sometimes we think we would like to downsize a bit, especially the garden as we are Getting On in Years now, but then I look at all the stuff in every room, and think how nice it is here!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:
[QUOTE]It was nice to live in a place without any winds.

AG

I finally stopped saying, "How does anyone ever dry a line of clothes around here?" after friends said I was far too aware of the lack of wind. My Island has wind all the time. [Smile]

[ 10. April 2016, 09:33: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Congratulations on the move piglet, that sounds really exciting.

I keep meaning and forgetting to go to the Leighton Museum, Sarasa.

I visited the French Protestant (Hugenot) Church yesterday, to see a production of Twelfth Night by Scena Mundi. It was an entertaining production in a fascinating place, Grade I listed, founded in 1550 with many grateful thanks to Edward VI.

I am now undertaking a massive recalibration of my understanding of Hugenot history. I hadn't really thought about the Hugenots and dates, always thinking they were much later, but I guess they started coming over at the Reformation. The Hugenot site says the migration occurred before the French Revolution in 1789, and the French Hospital dates from 1718, which was more the period I was thinking about.

I also went to see A Winter's Tale yesterday evening at the Sam Wanamaker on my third attempt. It's the late play where someone exits pursued by a bear and a statue comes to life. The play was entertaining, very much of two halves, that didn't really fit together.

The experience could have been improved. The Sam Wanamaker has benches, as does the Globe and a number of seats do not have great sight lines. I was in a cheap seat, described as having a reduced view, sitting next to someone who dangled his arms over the edge of the upper gallery blocking everything I should have been able to see and fidgeting me nearly off the end of the bench. (I could see by twisting round and peering out through the gap next to me, but I am not sure that sort of twist is good for a back and I knew I'd be moved back by the actors at a couple of points)

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I am now undertaking a massive recalibration of my understanding of Hugenot history. I hadn't really thought about the Hugenots and dates, always thinking they were much later, but I guess they started coming over at the Reformation. The Hugenot site says the migration occurred before the French Revolution in 1789, and the French Hospital dates from 1718, which was more the period I was thinking about.

The St. Bartholomew's Day massacre took place in 1572, and that convinced many Huguenots they should leave France. Some of them went to Jersey and stayed there for several generations, before moving on to America.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

Good grief, Boogie. Good luck with that; you'll have earned every penny.

RE: sightlines in theatres. I saw Titus Andronicus at the Swan in Stratford a couple of years ago. The only way to see more than a third of the stage was to lean forward, resting on my hands, for the whole performance. Some people on the same row had decided to stand up to watch from the aisle as that was more comfortable. There's really no excuse for this in recently designed and built theatres.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I went to a matinee of some ancient play in the Swan about 10 years ago. I don't remember what it was, only that while I did have a decent view, as there were only two rows and those not filled, the seats were so uncomfortable and the play so much less exciting than I'd hoped that I left at the interval.

For the while I was there, though, it had given me a feeling of what it had probably been like to watch the original in Shakespeare's time, complete with seats in no way designed for comfort, just proximity to the stage.

(Which would have made throwing oranges at the cast much easier.)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I have had fantastic seats in the Sam Wanamaker, but I have been trying out various restricted view seats to see how bad they are. I've concluded after a couple of attempts that it's better to stand upstairs, because the candelabras, or the other punters, really do get in the way of the action from the seats. Downstairs, I haven't had a bad seat.

If I'm only going to have a partial view I'd prefer not to pay more than £10 for the privilege. I don't have a problem with a partial view for concert tickets or reading and I was really glad I was standing for Show of Hands.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:
It was nice to live in a place without any winds.

Indeed we do; we're used to walking at a 45° angle. [Killing me]

My understanding is that the winters will be snowier ( [Eek!] ) and the summers hotter (even more [Eek!] ), but that it's much less hilly ( [Yipee] ).

Not near the sea, Nicodemia, but on a river.

D. was very taken with the place when he went over for the interview last week, and from the pictures I've seen it does look very pretty, and the cathedral looks lovely. Once I get my head round the practicalities of moving, I think I'll get quite excited (although it's tinged with sadness at leaving my job and all the lovely friends we've made here).

Wodders is right about Boston being close - when D. was over he was talking to a bloke who'd just come back from there and it's only an eight-hour drive. That's like Colchester to Edinburgh - no distance at all really, especially when you consider it takes a lot longer than that to drive across Newfoundland.

nearly excited piglet

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

That river looks nearly big enough to count as sea! [Smile] Looks wonderful place, Piglet. Good luck with the move!
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Nicodemia: That river looks nearly big enough to count as sea! [Smile]
LOL, the main stream of the Amazon is 12 miles wide at places. It is strange sometimes to be at a fresh-water beach and not see the other side.

Fredericton looks lovely, I hope Piglet will enjoy it there.

--------------------

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooo, much good house news. Pleased about that.
And wing walking? Oh my! Bit breezy for my liking, but noble stuff.
Back from the weekend away, though there's a luxury to having the rest of today off to catch up on things before speaking at another international conference later in the week. Not exciting, but hopefully useful (on sexuality and gender...) and with any luck people will stay awake [Big Grin]

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

[Big Grin]

Nice one!

This July my mum is doing a wing walk at Staverton Airfield on her 80th birthday for Wateraid (link in my sig!).

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

quote:
It is strange sometimes to be at a fresh-water beach and not see the other side.
Yeah - got that feeling at Lake Michigan once! Would like to see the Amazon, though
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Wodders is right about Boston being close - when D. was over he was talking to a bloke who'd just come back from there and it's only an eight-hour drive. That's like Colchester to Edinburgh - no distance at all really, especially when you consider it takes a lot longer than that to drive across Newfoundland.

I see you've adjusted to your New World environment [Biased] "Only" an eight-hour drive... that's pretty much an entire working day.

I suppose you get used to it and build up stamina over time but I'd be going by public transport if it took that long in a car.

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

I see you've adjusted to your New World environment [Biased] "Only" an eight-hour drive... that's pretty much an entire working day.

I suppose you get used to it and build up stamina over time but I'd be going by public transport if it took that long in a car.

Public transport Fredericton to Boston:
Fly to Halifax, change planes and fly to Montreal and change planes to Boston. If you're lucky, fly from Fredericton straight to Montreal. Elapsed time, if you're lucky, about 8-9 hours (5-6 if you don't have to go to Halifax).

No train.

Coach -- same as car.

Eight hours is a nice day's drive in Canada. You just live with it.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016