homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I'm with Boogie on the decorations - I don't like them hanging about into the new year.

Is it that you feel it's all gone stale, Christmas is over, it's a different month, a new year, let's move on now, etc?

For me it's retaining a little of that holiday feeling into the first days of the new year, the return to work, the warmth, brightness and light. On the first day back at work it feels nice to come back home to see the tree still there, as if it wasn't all just a dream.

[ 03. January 2016, 16:16: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
I'm with Boogie on the decorations - I don't like them hanging about into the new year.

Is it that you feel it's all gone stale, Christmas is over, it's a different month, a new year, let's move on now, etc?

Yes - absolutely!

But I am very lucky as I only work one day a week, so all of life is holiday [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Yes, that's right. [Smile] I am always sad to see them come down and, as you say, the house looks very bleak and empty without them. But Christmas was last year now (only 350-ish days till the next one [Biased] ) and it's time to look forward to the Spring. Which, incidentally, seems to have arrived with snowdrops, primroses and daffodils all blooming around here. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another day at the Test Match at Newlands. Cloudless sky and an excellent days cricket. Now for ( very ) early bed. Thoughts are with the shivering millions in UK. Till tomorrow then.
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our decorations came down today, two weeks after they went up. Don't mind hanging around til Epiphany, but this year's tree was a dropper, and it's nice being able to walk around without prickles everywhere. I'm also extremely knackered at the moment and the thought of having to it one evening doesn't appeal much.

I don't work Mondays, which makes this evening less traumatic than it is for many, but just ordered a takeaway anyway to celebrate The End Of Everything Festive...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The cricket was on at our house all day shamwari - I was 100% *jealous* of that blue sky and sunshine! They kept showing aerial views of the whole ground with mountains and sea in the background - glorious!

No shivering here 'tho - it's too warm. We need some clear, bright skies and a nice frost or two - please! That's 'proper' winter weather.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:
Another day at the Test Match at Newlands. Cloudless sky and an excellent days cricket. Now for ( very ) early bed. Thoughts are with the shivering millions in UK. Till tomorrow then.

You can really go off some people... [Angel]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck for tomorrow Sandemaniac.
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, we've been roped in to take the decorations/tree down in church on Wednesday morning, so I may try and get our trees down on Tuesday. I like having them up as the lights are very cheering on the days when it gets dark early (like, 10 am) but they do block access to the radiators for drying the washing!

Then I can have all the fun of putting away the Dowager's decorations when I go down to see her on Friday [Help] . She insists the lights on the tree no longer work, but as I only bought them this year (from Waitrose, yet!) I don't actually believe her.

Mrs. S, who loves Christmas but hates these soggy wet dark days

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
This year's tree was a dropper, and it's nice being able to walk around without prickles everywhere.

I love the noise the Hoover makes when it sucks them all up ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
She insists the lights on the tree no longer work, but as I only bought them this year (from Waitrose, yet!) I don't actually believe her.

Well, one set of our lights, bought this year, has now stopped working. But they came from a cheaper (but still reputable) source.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... For me it's retaining a little of that holiday feeling into the first days of the new year ...

I think that's part of it for me too; banishing the "bloody January again" feeling! I don't go back to w*rk until Tuesday; despite a generally barbaric attitude to holiday entitlement, my place gives us two days for New Year (and two free days between Christmas and New Year), a luxury I hadn't enjoyed since leaving Scotland.

We've moved our time of Choral Evensong from 6:30 to 4:00 p.m. - the original reasoning was to save heating costs, as the building wouldn't need to be completely heated for so long - and I think it's better all round - it was nice to be back at around 5:30, and it'll really only be a few weeks before we're coming back in something approaching daylight. It also leaves you free to do civilised things like entertaining or going out for dinner ... [Big Grin]

The pea-soup attempt is in progress; I must go down and check to see how it's doing. Should be available for virtual tasting quite soon. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr S and I went to United Communion at 6.30 yesterday - we avoid All-Age Worship so it was our chance to go and give thanks for the safe arrival of the Intrepid grandson [Angel]

Halfway through the final carol, Mr S nudged me - we were at the front and I was closer to the aisle. The Advent crown - on its last outing and by now as dry as toast - was well aflame; the shortest candle had finally burnt down to the socket. [Eek!]

I tucked my hymnbook under my arm, wandered up to the dais, blew out the conflagration and went off to find a mug of water in the vestry. There are always mugs in the vestry in spite of notices telling you not to leave them there, but someone must have had a rush of blood to the paws and decluttered them [Ultra confused] so I had to root through the cupboards till I found a glass to carry a bit of water to dribble over the decoration and make sure it was out.

The vicar, up at the altar and screened by the Christmas tree, had seen nothing of this, but as he came down for the Blessing I could see his nose twitching ...

The Intrepid Fireperson, Mrs S!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just been out in the garden (if you can call a small patio area that) and our neighbours mock orange, that obligingly grows over our fence is in bloom, and my camelia is nearly out too.
We went dancing in St Paul's Cathedral last night, part of the encircling the land with sacred dance project. It was amazing to dance under the dome.
Today is my first day of normality after the holidays, I supose I ought to be doing housework, but surfing the net seems a far more atractive proposition.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
This year's tree was a dropper, and it's nice being able to walk around without prickles everywhere.

So, presumably, does my son-in-law who hoovered up after taking the tree out, but I was the one who had to unclog the Hoover afterwards.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had an odd occurrence yesterday morning.

I was just taking some recycling to the bins in the front when a chap who was just loitering outside said that he was looking at getting some scaffolding on the front of the building (an old, mid-terrace property that's been split into 4 separate flats, one on each floor). Yet I've not heard anything from my landlord about this.

Anyway, just as he left, I went to the back of the property and noticed a lump in my garden. I'm not the best of gardeners (I tend it about 3 times each summer) and it's rather strewn with weeds and bits of dead stuff where I've pulled up the weed. But this was a distinctive new brown lump, right in the middle of the garden. It wasn't until I put the key in the lock that I worked out what it was, as up popped a rather vulpine head.

I know there are foxes in the area, as I often see them if I'm walking around the backstreets after 10pm. But I've never seen one actually in my garden before. In the country, maybe, but you don't really expect them in Zone 2 of London.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I don't know where you live. But between 1994-2005 we lived in West London, near Stamford Brook station (Zone 2), and foxes were a frequent sight.

Five occasions come to mind. One is of our cat disappearing behind the curtains of our patio doors and then racing like a demented bat from hell through the room and into the hall. When we drew back the curtain there was a fox looking in.

Then we had nights where we lay awake and heard foxes "calling" (sounds just like a baby crying).

Foxes occasionally savaged our church's rubbish bin (although sometimes it was vandals).

There was a time when I got off the 94 bus in Bath Road and saw a fox trotting down the middle of the road "bold as brass".

Finally, once we were away on holiday and a neighbour looked in to check the post. She was just leaving when, out of the corner of her eye, she saw a red blur dashing up the stairs - a fox who had slipped in behind her. She managed to chase it out, but just imagine the mayhem if it had been locked in!

By the way, we had foxes at my Hall of Residence in Southampton in the early 70s - although that was on the very edge of town.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I have seen foxes in the parking lot of the flats where I live and when I went to pick up a hire car from the on road site which is right opposite The Diamond one Sunday morning I almost tripped over one. The clocks had moved forward and nobody had told the fox so it was just making its normal trip home before anyone was about. This is all city centre Sheffield.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Landlubber:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

So, presumably, does my son-in-law who hoovered up after taking the tree out, but I was the one who had to unclog the Hoover afterwards.
It would have been a more productive noise had we fixed the dyson *before* hoovering, rather than saying 'it's definitely not as good as the last one was'
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I used to look out of my office window in central Oxford and would regularly see a family of foxes in an overgrown back garden. They've adapted quite well to city centre life: find somewhere to hang out during most of the day then go for the dustbins and discarded takeaways in the evenings. Lots of rich pickings if you're an urban fox.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I lived in south-east London (zone 2 or 3 depending on which bit of God's own side of the river - Forest Hill, Honor Oak, Lee, Brockley) foxes were a regular sight. I think 'babies crying' is a slightly understated description - 'babies being murdered' more like. It frightened the life out of me the first time I heard that (that was when I lived on Lee High Rd) till I realised what it actually was. In my bit of Brockley (Brockley/Nunhead border) I regularly saw them in the street, and also heard them in my garden (which bordered the railway line so had lots of foxes living nearby).

I only saw an urban fox once or twice when I moved to Glasgow, and don't recall having seen one now I'm in Stirling.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rain.

So very sorry for all those in danger of flooding. Keep safe.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our nearest river is currently about a mile wide. Fortunately the flood plain hasn't been built on, but two of the roads out of the village are flooded and the river is now extending beyond the flood plain and into the village. [Frown]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The foxes were deliciously bold when I lived in London (South west). I remember being eyeballed by a very pregnant beautiful fox - either pregnant or as fat as fat as fat can be. She was so pretty and fearless - we stood and looked at each other. It was slightly weird but I sensed her "daring" me to hurt her - if that makes sense. Kind of "you toucha my face and I will chew you to pieces". She wandered off very relaxed.

What I disliked was living by the sea and the seagulls - esp on the mornings in the summer when the rubbish had been put out the night before. They would tear the rubbish bags apart and all sorts would be strewn around the street and oh man it would stench, even as early as 6.30am which was the time I set off for work.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seagulls - at least, the kind you get round here- are vile scavengers. Astonishingly, it seems they are protected by law. We need to cull them.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was still living at home in Orkney and Mum and Dad were away on holiday, I thought I was being very efficient, putting the rubbish out the night before the bin-men came, and in the morning it was all over the place. There was swearing.

Here, despite being a hop, skip and a jump from the harbour, we don't seem to have that problem - I always put the bin-bag out the night before, and it's never come to any harm.

Famous last words ... [Paranoid]

D's mum quite often has foxes visiting her garden in Colchester; I think she would rather they didn't, but I don't know that they've ever done any real harm.

I've had a typically lazy, "last-day-of-the-holidays" sort of day; the pea soup was really rather good (and there was enough to freeze for another time), and I turned the remains of a chicken into a batch of stock.

As Dad would say, back to old clothes and porridge* tomorrow ... [Roll Eyes]

* eta: not literally ... [Projectile]

[ 05. January 2016, 01:00: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
attritional day at the cricket yesterday. SA battling to draw this one and well on the way to doing just that. Have not yet seen a cloud in the sky. Do such things really exist? Out for a meal at restuarent last night with family who are all going their separrate ways in next two days. One grandson doing a gap year job as housemaster at an Oxford school!! Now heading back to Newlands.
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re: rubbish. Please can we not talk about "seagulls" because there is no such thing. There are black-backed (great and lesser), blacked-headed, herring, common, mediterranean gulls, plus kittiwakes.

If you're in an urban area the chances are what you have are black-backed gulls: you'd know if they were herring gulls because they are huge - roughly two foot long and with a wingspan of 4-5 feet.

If you're in a coastal area then you can add terns into the mix.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I once spent a night with a girl in Port Talbot. The only thing I remember is the shrieking and flapping of wings of seagulls against her window.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Re: rubbish. Please can we not talk about "seagulls" because there is no such thing. There are black-backed (great and lesser), blacked-headed, herring, common, mediterranean gulls, plus kittiwakes.

If you're in an urban area the chances are what you have are black-backed gulls: you'd know if they were herring gulls because they are huge - roughly two foot long and with a wingspan of 4-5 feet.

We don't all live in your area and birds differ from area to area. Down here we have seagulls and there are many reports of their harassing those eating outside beside the harbour or in parks. They are pests and filthy scavengers and squawk loudly under my windows through the night.

I don't know what you might call this bird, but here it is
commonly called a seagull.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You may as well tell people not to talk about "fish" because of the variety of that type of creature.

Sailors don't call the flying rats "seagulls" anyway. They are all "shy talks".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
L'organist, is it the adjective "sea" that you object to specifically, or is it an objection to grouping together various species of birds under the term "gulls"?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The Cattle-crossing is about as far from the sea as you can get in the UK, but I've watched terns over the river here for a great many years.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
... about as far from the sea as you can get in the UK ...

I've just finished reading The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson, and he notes that you can never be more than about 70 miles from the nearest coast in the UK. Apparently the actual spot that's officially furthest from the sea is Coton in the Elms in Derbyshire; I think I'd have expected it to be much further south, probably nearer your neck of the woods.

Back to w*rk now - better go and do something constructive, like getting coffee ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
We don't all live in your area and birds differ from area to area. Down here we have seagulls and there are many reports of their harassing those eating outside beside the harbour or in parks. They are pests and filthy scavengers and squawk loudly under my windows through the night.

Those Australian gulls are vicious. Never leave food unattended for more than about 1.235 seconds, or you will find yourself in something out of Hitchcock.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dunno about sea birds, or floods, but I think that Christmas lights look promising and hopeful in the second half of December, and dull and tawdry after New Year.
Our decorations are still up, but I will feel brighter once they are safely packed into their boxes and stashed away in the loft. Plus the tree can go back outside and take its spiders with it...

In other news, it has been much brighter here today, and our new kettle seems to be working as it should, so all is well in St Everild Land - tea, anyone?

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

Doubt if we shall be going to cricket tomorrow. Its taken 4 days forneach sideto complete their 1st inningsnso unlikely they will each get thru their second tomorrow. But its been enthralling stuff and well worth it. So maybe a bit of retail therapy at the shops tomorrow.
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Raining lots here in Oz, where it's not burning. Yes, our seagulls are vicious, and so are the emus. The cockatoos are vandals too, and have managed to pick apart a complete streetlight fitting alongside our driveway. The dish shaped cover is lying on the verge, full of water.

I quite like having small birds around our garden, but native birds the size of hens become problematic in numerous ways. I have, however, discovered that the best way to stop them landing on our verandah railing and pooping everywhere is to leave the green spiky Christmas garland draped along it. It may have to be Advent all year round at Chez Banner!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
MBL, if the railing is wooden there arespikes attached to a flat base which can be screwed to rail. Even attached to circular metal rails here. Screweyes attached at intervals along the rails and threaded though with fishing line about two centimetres above rail is also a deterrent.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I don't wish to puncture the derrieres of visitors who sometimes use the railing as a bumrest, or create a hazard for the grandchildren, I think the spiky Christmas garland is a good and far less ugly alternative to the serious bird deterrent methods available.

The synthetic wiry green bits are vertical enough to fend off any foul, but will give way under human bumbardment. It will be interesting to see how it weathers, although it is slightly protected by the verandah roofing. Probably will fade in the sun eventually...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] - [Big Grin] - [Yipee] - [Big Grin] - [Yipee]

I've got it, I've got it, I'VE GOT IT!

We had to wait a bit as it was lunchtime before we got there and there were three people in front of me but I've got it...

...I just hope it isn't contagious!

[Yipee] - [Big Grin] - [Yipee]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations Wodders! [Yipee]

--------------------

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

abandoned going to the last day of the Test Match. Just as well. No chance of an outcome. Went for some retail therapy instead. Great excitement in the house. Grandson got 7 x A grades in his matric. Whiich is A levels in UK. Its all in the genes!
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations WW. Is that the end to the hoop jumping for the foreseeable future?
Congratulations to the grandson Shamwari. Is he off to university?
This is my first day back at work and I'm easing myself in gently!

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very many congratulations to WW and shamwari's grandson.

Congratulations also to Banner Lady for the use of the word 'bumbardment' in a sentence.

All worthy achievements.

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for sending me photographic proof of the latest addition to your UK passport.

And heartiest congratulations, dear friend.

PS This is a post that did not slag you off. Isn't that miraculous?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I think what we have are herring gulls. Whatever they are, they are huge squawky quarrelsome initmidating scavenging ugly bastards with a cruel-looking red spot on their beaks. Can't be more specific- haven't examined them closely-the only way I'd want to do that would be through a sight.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

It rained hard all last night - but it's fine and dry now. Lots of rain forecast here for tomorrow. We are off to see Gypsy work and meet her for one last time. Thankfully it's in Wetherby, and the forecast is fine there.

Today the puppy and I are doing bus, shopping centre, tram and coffee shop. Yesterday her work was walking to a restaurant and lying patiently by my chair while I had lunch with friends (all very musical people who sing in choirs and play in bands/orchestras. I was very much the odd one out!) I had tandoori chicken with salad and it was super tasty [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last night we had a meeting at church and got in late. There was a tin of baked beans in the cupboard which I had suggested to husband en rouge we could eat because it would be ready in five minutes when we got in. Yes, I have converted to my Frenchman to beans on toast.

Yesterday was also the Epiphany when French people traditionally eat galette (a sort of tart made of puff pastry and frangipane). Husband en rouge is of the view that there’s no point in galette unless you serve it with Champagne. I consequently left the necessary in our fridge.

So: we had beans on toast and Champagne in the same meal. I feel very Bohemian.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

That was truly magnifique!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016