homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Mr Clingford: I'm seriously dischuffed with the weather. Ok, we've had a couple of warm (15 Celsius!) and sunny days recently, but, come on, it's Spring and I want to be warm. Enough of the cold and the gloom - meant to be a max of 7 today. 7. Boo.
I'm rather happy that the leaves have come out though.

quote:
Curiosity killed ...: I am also trying to keep next Saturday clear enough to see Bellowhead.
Me loves Bellowhead! Enjoy. I'll be flying to Africa that weekend.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I'm rather happy that the leaves have come out though.

Leaves nothing to be desired, then.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not warm here, and overcast, but no sign of snow (yellow or otherwise) in this particular bit of Scotland. TME is out the back building me some raised beds - having given up our allotment last year, I have missed home grown veg, so this way we can get a bit of grow-our-own, show the Elf Lass where food comes from, and tidy up our scruffy bit of the back court at the same time. All without the stress of having to maintain the beds to someone else's standards.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had sleety snow here today. Bloody cold, and wetter than wet. Then the skies cleared, the sun came out. Still intermittent rain, however. I cleared the dead stuff out of the garden. Tidy is nice.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
... we've had a couple of warm (15 Celsius!) and sunny days recently, but, come on, it's Spring ...

Over here, 15°C is late Spring, verging on early Summer. [Smile]

If it's any comfort, it's currently mid-afternoon and 4°C here. And there's sn*w forecast for next week.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
... I cleared the dead stuff out of the garden...

Corpses? Skeletons? Severed limbs?

They do make a mess, don't they?

Alas poor Yorick.

[Two face]

I woke up this morning, realised the time, got up and dressed and out in a rush to get to a volleyball tournament I had promised to attend - only to find it is at 7.30 p.m., not a.m.!!

Silly WW.

It is summer time here, and the possibly the warmest I have ever known, and we are finally coming to the conclusion that we may really need some air-conditioning particularly as Herself is carrying the twins [about 3 months to go]. Friend V in the village works with an a/c servicing company and I have been getting his advice, sadly his firm doesn't do sales or he'd have the job. It appears that like most things in life the best quality costs quite a bit more but lasts ages longer - but at least I now know what brands NOT to buy!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
It is summer time here, and the possibly the warmest I have ever known...

Yes, some colleagues in our branch overseas in India were planning a sponsored run in May, but decided to bring the date forward on account of the summer being forecast to be unseasonably hot. You may be in for one of those difficult heatwaves again. Good luck with finding suitable air conditioning - it really does help during the night. Do you have mosquitos where you are?

It's a beautiful morning here with cloudless blue skies. I went out early to the convenience store and the cars were all swirls of frost leaves. A blackbird shot past me with a huge chunk of bread roll and a twig in its beak, which is quite a feat.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're very lucky as we are on top of a small hill - friends at the bottom of the hill are plagued with mozzies whereas here, less than 500 metres away, we have almost none. Living in the city was Hell as it was all built on reclaimed land - in other words a swamp! Clouds like Scottish midges!

V has given me a few makes to look at for the A/C but he said the important thing is to get one with copper rather than aluminium insides - costs more but will last far, far longer.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My house in Brazil is on the slope of a hill by the sea; very few mosquitoes also.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, the dead stuff was all last year's withered annuals, last year's fennel sticks, blown down twigs and branches from the park - not a corpse in sight. My cats are very orderly and tidy-minded.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our cat is less orderly. One small rat presented to us as a gift. Generous, but not necessarily appreciated.
I have ventured forth into the garden and noted how much needs to be done. Then retreated indoors with a large mug of tea. This may count as 'gardening'.

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our cat used to line up the mouse tails on the lawn!

[Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was a period when my cat would bring home a vole every night. She would lay it neatly on the front step, just where your foot was most likely to come down. Her tithe was the front right leg, what if the vole were a chicken would be the drumette. She would always eat this, but no other part of the animal. The rest was, I assume, for us.

Lately she has quit doing this -- it is a foolish vole indeed, who hangs around our yard. She has taken to crossing the street and patrolling under the bird feeders of the people over there. They are appreciative, since the rodents are doing too well on the fallen bird seed.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've probably mentioned before that there are several cats round our way (our next-door neighbours have three) but as we have none, the local mice see our house as a cat-free zone, and in they come.

Having not seen one in ages, now that we're decluttering the house for selling it, we've seen two in the last couple of weeks. One managed to climb into the waste-paper basket in the den, and D. was able to empty it into a rubbish-sack, take it away and dump it in a skip*, but then we saw the other one.

Anyone got a cat we can borrow? [Help]

* He untied the top so the mouse could get away - he's very kind-hearted.

[ 17. April 2016, 23:59: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
There was a period when my cat would bring home a vole every night. She would lay it neatly on the front step, just where your foot was most likely to come down. Her tithe was the front right leg, what if the vole were a chicken would be the drumette. She would always eat this, but no other part of the animal. The rest was, I assume, for us.

How priestly of her!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Either that or she was a leftist.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I got a letter this morning from the lovely people at DWP asking me if I'm still alive and giving me a form to complete, have it witnessed by somebody responsible and return to them just to prove that I really am still alive so either this afternoon or tomorrow we are off to see a tame Notary in town here and get her to do the witnessing and so forth then I can bung it in the post tomorrow [Registered] and hopefully all shall be well until they decide to do it again.

Yes, I have checked my pulse and my breathing and they both seem to indicate my continued existence.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All this sounds very encouraging, WW, especially the continued existence part! Please keep up the good work, mozzie-less and with duly encoppered a/c. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
There was a period when my cat would bring home a vole every night.

I don't have a cat, but there are several cats that consider my yard their property. Unfortunately they take no interest in the voles, which are a major problem.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, they say that the smell of a cat in a house will keep mice away. My Dad had a problem with mice but he looked after our cat for a week whilst we were on holidays, and never saw a mouse afterwards. (And no, it wasn't that Garfield had killed them all)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Someone ought to patent Essence of Cat, which could be sprayed around the place by non-cat-people like us.

Actually I've just Googled "mouse repellent" and the consensus seems to be a mixture of water or baby-shampoo and peppermint oil. That shouldn't be too hard to come by (and shouldn't smell too horrid either, except to the mice).

eta: The more, um, interesting suggestions that came up included putting a tray of used cat-litter outside your house (ugh!) or asking your local reptile centre for snake-poo. [Eek!]

[ 18. April 2016, 13:48: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I have checked my pulse and my breathing and they both seem to indicate my continued existence.

The word "seem" appears to indicate a slight note of doubt here. Are you absolutely sure you are not merely experiencing a victory of existential self-delusion?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Schroedinger's Woderwick? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Himself and Herself now saying they don't need A/C - can I just say:

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

[Roll Eyes]

In fact the last couple of days have been a degree or so cooler but...

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I wonder if it's a matter of acclimatisation? On a smaller scale, D. and his family seem to have a far greater tolerance of heat that I do, which I put down to having grown up somewhere several degrees warmer than where I did.

Maybe it's just that Himself and Herself are used to it.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Himself and Herself now saying they don't need A/C ...

You could try telling them that the babies will benefit from it. And it doesn't always have to have to be on but it will be very handy to have in heatwaves.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If you are subject to allergies AC is essential.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Wodders once told me that he was allergic to babies. Alas. Perhaps he has built up his tolerance.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I got a letter this morning from the lovely people at DWP asking me if I'm still alive and giving me a form to complete, have it witnessed by somebody responsible and return to them just to prove that I really am still alive so either this afternoon or tomorrow we are off to see a tame Notary in town here and get her to do the witnessing and so forth then I can bung it in the post tomorrow [Registered] and hopefully all shall be well until they decide to do it again.

Yes, I have checked my pulse and my breathing and they both seem to indicate my continued existence.

Some people can be hard to convince. I was accosted at an event on Saturday by someone I don't see very often, and was greeted with, "I heard you were ill - in fact, I thought you were dead!" He still didn't look convinced when I protested that the evidence was quite against him. He's not even a government employee.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A [very] rare night of insomnia so I'm heading back to bed in a minute.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I have exported stuff from Brazil sometimes, for which the bureaucracy is ridiculous. At one point I was talking to the notary again, having gone through various hoops for weeks in a row already, when he said to me while I was literally standing in front of him: "and now we need proof that you're alive".

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
D. and his family seem to have a far greater tolerance of heat that I do, which I put down to having grown up somewhere several degrees warmer than where I did.

Not "warmer", just "somewhat less chilly". Don't allow yourself to get carried away!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Lovely warm spring day - at last, though it's set to shatter over the weekend into Arctic again.

Has anybody been watching "The Durrells"? As a child I loved Gerald Durrell's books so I was interested to see what a televised version would be like. I should have known. Interesting, but well and truly embellished, sigh.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Has anybody been watching "The Durrells"? As a child I loved Gerald Durrell's books so I was interested to see what a televised version would be like. I should have known. Interesting, but well and truly embellished, sigh.

I've watched this one and this one (and enjoyed them both!), but I doubt that "The Durrells" is available in the U.S. yet. I've read all of his books -- I was delighted to read once that Princess Anne wouldn't read Gerald Durrell's books in public because she couldn't help laughing out loud. I had the same problem!
[Big Grin]

After reading his biography I was disappointed to learn how much of the Corfu books was fiction, and to learn what a troubled person he was.
[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, I don't remember whether it was that biography that I read but I never felt the same about him again. A pity because the books were lovely. I read them over and over as a child.

Beautiful warm day here, blossom and butterflies everywhere - proper spring at last!

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Victoria Wood has died.

//wailing, gnashing of teeth, general '2016 is a crap year for deaths' feeling//

So sharing this for our enjoyment...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Beautiful warm day here ...

We had a snow-day here. [Waterworks]

Yes, friends, on the twentieth of April, the schools and university in St. John's were closed because we got nearly a foot of snow. They'd been forecasting about 6", and when I looked out at about 7 this morning, although it was snowing and blowing about a bit, it looked as if it would just be enough to be a bloody nuisance, but not enough for a snow-day. However, by 8:30 when I was getting ready to go to w*rk it was really beginning in earnest (it eventually lasted all day), so I checked the University web-site and sure enough, we were closed for the morning, which is the only bit that affects me.

If I'd been a good little piglet, I'd have used the time to get a whole load of tidying and whatnot done, but as it was I had a nice lazy day interspersed with short bursts of decluttering.

Back to the grind tomorrow ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Back in the 80s I seem to remember a dramatised version of the Gerald Durrell books on TV with Brian Blessed playing Spiro.

As for the current series, I've seen a couple of them. It's OK, but I think a lot of the humour has been lost.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I haven't seen it. Brian Blessed in the 1987 was ridiculously OTT (as always).
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The AC saga continues.

It turns out that they didn't not want AC, they [or rather Herself] just wanted to wait until the weather was cooler when the price might come down a bit.

[Roll Eyes]

It's true in a sense that in a few months the price might come down a fiver or so but really, is it worth suffering now on the off chance? My verdict on that is a big NO!! I know from my late sister in law that being pregnant in hot weather is uncomfortable now! An extra fiver when paying this sort of amount is really neither here nor there and, happily, we have the extra fiver available.

Today we went and ordered an appropriate size, all-copper, good quality Mitsubishi unit which has already been delivered[!!], they ran us home in their vehicle to find where we live*, dropped off the unit and the mechanics will be back in the morning to fit it. We pay after the fitting.

*Addresses in Indian villages are horribly confusing.

If we were after a cheap unit I'd have been tempted to get one for my room as well but I think that will have to wait a while - festina lente and all that.

The next hurdle will be that when it is installed and switched on Herself will have to keep her bedroom door closed - she has been told to rest quite a bit during her pregnancy as she is now just over 40 and she might find it a bit isolating as currently she lies in bed with the door open and directs operations from there.

[Snigger]

Sorry Pete, but it will [probably] be moved upstairs before you arrive next time.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I haven't seen it. Brian Blessed in the 1987 was ridiculously OTT (as always).

And that's what makes him one of the greatest people left alive!

Actually, given the spate of British treasures dying lately, has anyone checked up on him lately?

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While I am quite enjoying "The Durrells" I can't help feeling that all the siblings are extremely unpleasant and thoughtless and uncaring. I detest all of them, while in the books they were more feckless than thoughtless. And Gerry doesn't seem that interested in animals - no more than any smallish boy, whereas I felt in the books he had a real passion. Still, it fills a Sunday evening gap on TV.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been a fairly disastrous morning here at Chateau Intrepid. Before 8.30 I had managed to spill coffee over a white sofa cover (mercifully washable, but I hadn't planned on washing it today) and dropped a contact lens into a cup of coffee which was standing on the worksurface by my sink [Eek!]

Luckily I deduced that that was where it had to be, and so was able to retrieve it [Overused]

I went to work in the church office fully expecting to throw a cafetiere of hot coffee over a visiting bishop, or something similar, but that was averted. I rushed home to cut the grass, found we were out of petrol for the mower, dashed off to get petrol - and now the $%&£ thing won't run [Mad] It did one swoosh across the lawn before it decided it needed petrol and now it's turned its little Japanese paws up and refuses, utterly, to play.

Mr S has gone out to his meeting and I'm off to mine in a few minutes - it's bound to rain again before we get the wretched thing sorted [Mad]

Mrs. S, thoroughly disgruntled [Mad]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, Mrs S [Waterworks] [Axe murder]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor Mrs. S. - that does sound like the sort of day at the end of which the best thing you can say about it is that it's over.

Back to w*rk, with over a foot of snow getting in the way. I shouldn't really complain: this is actually the biggest single snowfall we've had all winter (even if it shouldn't actually be winter any more).

I ought to take some of the blame: I put my winter boots away the other day ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To be fair, it didn't end too badly even though we spent over two hours at the APCM tonight [Ultra confused] By the time I got home from my meeting the sofa cover was dry and Mr S had not only taken the mower to pieces and given it a good talking-to, he'd got it started AND cut both lawns [Overused]

Thank you all for your sympathy [Angel]

Mrs. S, who now knows to put the coffee on the windowsill rather than by the sink [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Your contact-lens story reminded me of the sad tale told by a friend who had been at a very boozy stag-party. When they got back to the place they were staying, one of the group couldn't find his contact-lens case, and partly-filled a couple of tumblers with water and put his lenses in them. One of the other chaps came in a bit later, saw the tumblers and decided to take a precautionary drink of water before bed ...

In the morning the first bloke woke feeling decidedly iffy, and finding the now-empty tumblers, said, "Not only have I got the worst hangover in recorded history, but that b*****d's drunk my contact lenses!"

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

What a busy morning!

A friend of a friend told me yesterday that our mutual friend is getting married - about time too - and then said the marriage is a week on Saturday! That is fine except they live in Mysore, which is a fair step away from here - if you look on a map it might seem close but there are inconvenient things like mountains in the way, trains aren't good with 8,000 foot mountains!

Much internet usage, and much frustration with internet until I realised that it is no wonder the ticketing service doesn't recognise me as I kept inputting Welease Woderwick instead of Welease_Woderwick! Anyway train tickets there and back now booked and e-mail sent to my favourite hotel there begging them to find me a bed.

Isn't internet booking amazing? I can sit here at my desk and tap away at my keyboard and then the tickets arrive in my mobile phone, complete with seat number and everything - mind you my debit card has had a part to play as well but I'm not going to think about that!

Now I just have to search out a sympathy card to give to the bride on the day -

[Two face]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Welease Woderwick: *Addresses in Indian villages are horribly confusing.
Two blocks ahead of where a small tree used to be? [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016