homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet [Killing me]

One more contact lens story, if you'll allow me.

About twelve years ago we were on a flotilla sailing holiday in Greece. Miss S was with us, as a back injury kept her away from her usual Easter break on the Broads. One night I was last to bed and, as I was washing my lens in the tiny sink, a wave just tipped the boat, the plug tipped in sympathy, and my lens went down the plughole [Help]

I was appalled. I had no spare lenses, no glasses (yes, yes, I know) and I was supposed to be first mate - the females sail and Mr S does brute force and navigation. Miss S was still suffering from her back injury ...

I went to bed and I decided not to pray about it, because I actually thought to myself, what can God do about a contact lens that's in the holding tank by now? (The holding tank is where *all* the boat's waste goes, if you're a responsible sailor - if I got the lens back from there I sure as hell wouldn't have put it in my eye again!)

I didn't sleep much, was up first, went to the heads - and when I lifted the plug, there was my lens, precariously balanced on the grid under the plug [Overused] [Angel] [Overused] [Angel]

I have always kept that as a message from God, that there was nothing I should *not* pray about.

Mrs. S, now travelling with extra lenses, spectacles, you name it...

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Welease Woderwick: *Addresses in Indian villages are horribly confusing.
Two blocks ahead of where a small tree used to be? [Smile]
The police, when visiting, very wisely ask the local postman - he knows where everyone lives!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Your contact-lens story reminded me of the sad tale told by a friend who had been at a very boozy stag-party. When they got back to the place they were staying, one of the group couldn't find his contact-lens case, and partly-filled a couple of tumblers with water and put his lenses in them. One of the other chaps came in a bit later, saw the tumblers and decided to take a precautionary drink of water before bed ...

And that story reminds me of an anecdote a short-sighted colleague once told me about her wedding night. She’d reached out to a glass of water on the bedside table and her new husband said, "Don’t drink that!"

"Why not, I’m thirsty," she said.

"It’s got my teeth in it," he replied.

Apparently he’d had most of them knocked out in a rugby accident in his early 20s and replaced with a set of dentures, which she hadn’t spotted lurking at the bottom of the glass of water...

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
He said her teeth were like the stars
Which shone so clear and bright
He didn't know that like the stars,
Her teeth came out at night.

I'll see myself out ... [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... ask the local postman - he knows where everyone lives!

A retired vicar friend of ours has been looking after the parish of Fogo Island and when we went there to sing, he showed us round the place. He pointed out nearly every other house we passed, saying "that's where the organist lives, that house is the church-warden's, that's the Sunday School teacher's ..."

Admittedly Fogo isn't very big, but he'd made a point of knowing where everyone lived, and with him around you probably wouldn't need a postman.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What did you sing there?

quote:
Fogo, Twillingsgate, Morton's Harbour
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not to be confuse with The Shipping News.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
What did you sing there?
quote:
Fogo, Twillingsgate, Morton's Harbour

... and all around the circle!* [Big Grin]

We sang Evensong (D's responses, Gibbons' Short Service and Mendelssohn's Hear my prayer) on the Saturday evening and Choral Eucharist (View me, Lord by Lloyd, the Byrd Mass for Four Voices and Tantum ergo by Severac) on the Sunday.

And no - I didn't reel that lot off from memory (although I was fairly sure about the Gibbons and Byrd) - I consulted D's "orders of service" folder on another cloud of the interether. [Big Grin]

* The present Curate at the Cathedral comes from Morton's Harbour, and says if he never hears that song again it'll be too soon.

[ 23. April 2016, 03:49: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had a glorious three days, if a bit chilly. Twiglet's brother, Barnaby has been visiting, so lots of chaos here!

I'm helping a blind young man to free run his guide dog today, he likes long walks so we're doing a good stretch of the Pennine Way - it's the first time I've done this and I'm a little nervous, but I have done the My Guide training so all should be fine. I will take Tatze, not Twig as she's older, wiser and steadier [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Sssh! I don't know if I'm allowed to open a Dr Who thread for this, but I'm excited about the new companion.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Shhh, who is it? I promise I won't tell a soul).
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
(Sssh! I don't know if I'm allowed to open a Dr Who thread for this ...)

There used to be one in Heaven, but it's now in Limbo - if you want to start a new thread for a new series, Heaven would be the place for it.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've had a sort-of-productive day - although not necessarily in the areas where productivity is needed. [Hot and Hormonal]

I coloured my hair in the morning, in preparation for having it cut in the afternoon (always a positive thing, as it makes me feel good). I cleaned the bathroom while I was waiting for the dye to work, and bought a couple of bits and pieces for the "staging" of Château Piglet for selling. It was a glorious, sunny day, and when I was waiting for D. to pick me up, it was really nice sitting outside (especially when you consider we had a foot and a half of snow on Wednesday).

When I got home I set the slow-cooker going with a batch of chicken stock, which is merrily bubbling and making the house smell all domesticated, and I've just repainted my nails.

Quite a busy day, for a Saturday. [Smile]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Creative Piglet. [Overused]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice day yesterday in Stratford on Avon at the Bard's 400th anniversary celebrations (it's a long time to be married). I also enjoyed Shakespeare Live last night on television - anyone else see that? I thought Prince Charles delivered his lines very well.

[ 24. April 2016, 08:03: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Due to Recent Events, I have little distinction between day and night, and had RSC live playing during the night.

Bleary eyed, I woke to the sound of HRH 'to be or not to be'. I tell you, sleep deprived and disorientated, this is a strange way to wake up...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Twitter reckoned the RSC thing was good, worth looking for on catch up later.

I got my fix of the Bard on Friday night - final performance of The Tempest and series of the late Shakespeare plays (Pericles, A Winter's Tale and Cymbeline) in the Sam Wanamaker Theatre and last production by Dominic Dromgoole at the Globe as he finishes his 10 year tenure. The experimentation was all about how these plays could have been staged in an indoor playhouse, as the Kings Men's Players owned Blackfriars Theatre when these plays were first performed.

Last night I celebrated St George's Day with English folk songs at the London Palladium (Bellowhead's farewell tour) which was amazing. The ushers gave up trying to get everyone back in their seats and joined in the third time we were all up dancing.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Nice day yesterday in Stratford on Avon at the Bard's 400th anniversary celebrations (it's a long time to be married). I also enjoyed Shakespeare Live last night on television - anyone else see that? I thought Prince Charles delivered his lines very well.

Yes, I saw it. It was mostly very good. I really enjoyed the 'to be or not to be' sketch as well. I'm seeing Hamlet live streamed to a local theatre in June, so it was great to see Paapa Essidue. I'm not sure about Catherine Tate as a presenter, though. I like her work, but not sure about this.
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I have to admit I thought she seemed quite wooden and only started to get into it by the end. But otherwise thoroughly enjoyable, including what we got to see of the fireworks.
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Last night I celebrated St George's Day with English folk songs at the London Palladium (Bellowhead's farewell tour) which was amazing. The ushers gave up trying to get everyone back in their seats and joined in the third time we were all up dancing.

We saw them in Cardiff last Sunday. Unfortunately, I couldn't see a lot as I can't stand, and the volume was a bit too loud to hear all the words. I was jigging as best I could in my seat though. It's such a shame it's their farewell tour.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've had a bit of a non-day today; I could feel myself coming down with a cold yesterday and by the time I woke up this morning I was coughing and spluttering and felt as if I'd been kicked by a medium-sized horse, so I didn't go in to w*rk.

Bill the handyman has now done most of what needed to be done in the basement of Château Piglet, and it's improved things immensely; he's coming in again on Tuesday to do some more bits and pieces, although Heaven knows when we'll get enough of the right sort of weather for him to finish the outside stuff.

Oh well, onwards and (maybe) upwards ...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really must stop spending so much money!

For some time Herself has had a little tablet computer, earlier this month Himself got a posh tab [ostensibly for business, ha ha] for his birthday so, as I'm going away for a few days next weekend and then again a week or so later, etc., yesterday I went mad and bought myself a [not very expensive] tab and a bluetooth keyboard that I shall then pass on to Himself to use with his posh one when the tab cover with built in keyboard arrives next week!

Internet on the go!

Well, probably more like internet on arrival as I doubt I'll be doing much actually on the train or whatever - some of the places in the mountains or in the wilds or the National Parks have little signal coverage.

WW moves into the 21st Century at last?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

At last the old quill pen can go into honourable retirement. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sitting in my office in Westminster watching snow/sleet fall outside.

Can somebody tell the weather than May starts next week. This is not acceptable behaviour! [Disappointed]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

They're talking about snow here tomorrow as well, but they're also saying it's going to be 7°, so I hope the 7° bit wins.

I'm still off w*rk: I seem to be having a backwards cold, which started as a tickly throat and has now migrated upwards so that now my head's full of it and I'm a very snufflous piglet.

I hate colds. [Frown]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had some very heavy hail showers, sleet and periods of beautiful sunshine. It's been very cold, with what my father would have described as a lazy wind - doesn't blow around you, blows straight through you.

On a different note, can I gloat please? I just scored my first 100+word in "words with friends". Ok, it was 101, but 7 letters, and against someone who's a very good player that I've never beaten. (The word was "isotopic"). I was brought down to earth by only being able to score 10 against another friend.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When Sipech was talking about snow showers I was hanging out my washing in fairly warm sunshine just fifteen miles away. I've just had to rush out to bring said washing in as the sky went black and snow started to fall.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We also have cold temps, lovely sunshine and crazy hail showers.

Not a day for gardening!

I was at work teaching children to paint sea scapes, so I escaped the showers and the cold ~ it's a very warm classroom!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, I just saw your post about the backwards cold. Get some rest (ha ha) and stay warm. Hope it goes really quickly.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Loth. [Smile]

I've had a fairly lazy day, my only accomplishments being a laundry load (hardly onerous: put in washing-machine, put in tumble-dryer, take out of tumble-dryer, marvel at full complement of socks) and doing the therapeutic bit of making a batch of bread (D. set it going, then went out, so I did the rolling out and he came back in time to set it to prove and bake).

I may take back what I said about wanting the 7° prediction to win: the way I'm feeling a snow-day would actually be No Bad Thing. [Big Grin]

I must be turning into some kind of weakling in my old age: the last time I was off w*rk for more than one day was in 1998 when I had eye surgery.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another day, another hail storm.

My road is being dug up at the moment to re-lay gas pipes. It's been interesting watching the workmen hop in and out of their holes as the weather changes.

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

If they see their shadows and go back in you get another 40 days of it.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heh, I got out of the UK last Sunday. It looks like I chose the right time [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

posted by piglet

I must be turning into some kind of weakling in my old age: the last time I was off w*rk for more than one day was in 1998 when I had eye surgery.

One minor achievement/piece of good fortune in my undistinguished working life is not having been off ill since joining my employer in July 1987. I have a small ambition to make it to the 30 year mark next year but it's looking increasingly likely that they are going to forestall it by making me redundant along with the rest of what is left of our department.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
If they see their shadows and go back in you get another 40 days of it.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had a few inches of snow last night - enough to get the ploughs out, but not enough for a snow-day - but by mid-morning the sun was splitting the rocks and water was cascading down the road.

Still off w*rk - I can't seem to shift this chuffing cold, which is now hovering between my head and my chest and making both hurt.

**snuffle snuffle**

[Frown]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
poor Piglet! that sounds awful [Waterworks]

My cousin is over from Canada visiting his Aged Parent (the Dowager's sister) and came to spend the day with us yesterday. We took him to a nearby town, where almost 40 years ago he bought a plot of land and built a house.

When we got there, it transpired that the very same lady who had bought it from him before he emigrated (with her husband) was still living there today! And she remembered him [Yipee] even remembered his name.

She obviously loved the house so much that it completely made his day [Overused]

And he was very proud that nearly 40 years later there wasn't a single crack in any of the ceilings!

Mrs. S, glad to have been of service [Smile]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

What a forgiving lady to welcome the man who emigrated with her husband! [Big Grin]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not surprised she remembered his name though.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
What a forgiving lady to welcome the man who emigrated with her husband! [Big Grin]

I was thinking that very thought. [Devil]

Back to w*rk today - the metaphorical horse who's been kicking me all week seems to have gone away, although I still sound as if I've got Darth Vader nesting in my upper respiratory tract ... [Eek!]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Look after yourself, Piglet - these inflictions can be slow to shift. Rest you voice, but not your drinking arm. [Biased]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Respiratory tract infections seem all the rage, I have a mild one that makes me cough a bit but otherwise I feel fine.

Now in Mysore after the journey from Hell yesterday. Got to hotel just before midnight and straight to bed but sadly had forgotten to disable alarm on phone so was woken at 05:45!! I didn't get up but slept again until gone 08:00. Now to brave Tameem's marriage!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

2 hours later:

...and I have forgotten computer specs and the new Bluetooth keyboard; and probably loads of other stuff.

DUH!!!

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

[Hot and Hormonal]

Mrs. S, for whom even Preview Post was not her friend [Frown]

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh well, we're now in some sort of limbo with regards the move. What is it about conveyancing that takes so long?

Initially, everything happened very quickly. The mortgage was approved within a couple of days, the survey was carried out a week later and the surveyor's report returned the following day. Now it's all in the hands of the solicitors and everything has started flowing like treacle.

It's really frustrating. The seller is in a hurry to sell so she can move out (she's moving abroad) and we're in a hurry to buy so we can move in and in the middle somewhere is this big black hole into which both ours and the sellers information disappears and only solicitors have the magic powers to do anything about it.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It is all done with a combination of semaphore and geriatric homing pigeons!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That makes me think irresistibly of Monty Python's "Wuthering Heights in Semaphore" (start at 1 minute into the clip). I suppose it was the latest technology, once!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Oh well, we're now in some sort of limbo with regards the move. What is it about conveyancing that takes so long?

Initially, everything happened very quickly. The mortgage was approved within a couple of days, the survey was carried out a week later and the surveyor's report returned the following day. Now it's all in the hands of the solicitors and everything has started flowing like treacle.

It's really frustrating. The seller is in a hurry to sell so she can move out (she's moving abroad) and we're in a hurry to buy so we can move in and in the middle somewhere is this big black hole into which both ours and the sellers information disappears and only solicitors have the magic powers to do anything about it.

Back when banking was done in coffee houses with quill pens on parchment and the fastest means of transport in the City of London was a small boy, financial deals could be done, start to finish in about four days. Nothing much has changed and banks still want four days to clear cheques.

You're up against the same thing. Generation after generation of conveyancer has been taught to carry out the necessary steps in a certain order and for some reason they need to get a night's sleep between step n and step n+1.

Don't get me on probate [Mad]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

You have my sympathy, I have just completed on a house purchase and it seemed to take for ever. But its a wonderful feeling when they say its all done and you can pick up your keys

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I was also surprised how long it took me to open a bank account in the UK. I've lived in countries that are notorious for their bureaucracy, but where I managed to do it twice as fast.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

When I first tried to open a bank account here there were all sorts of issues and in the end I visited the local office of the Reserve Bank of India and the man said to choose a bank and if they were stroppy to get them to call him, and he passed over his card - since then no problem!

Solicitors I know in UK swear that delays in conveyancing are for the protection of the client, but I have yet to be convinced.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016