homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I used to work for a firm of solicitors in Scotland, where conveyancing made up a fair chunk of the workload. It seemed to me that every document I produced was required yesterday, if not before, but I imagine that from the clients' point of view the whole process went at a snail's pace.

I hope our upcoming foray into the world of relocation goes reasonably smoothly ... [Help]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Solicitors I know in UK swear that delays in conveyancing are for the protection of the client, but I have yet to be convinced.

With apologies to any solicitors I may know who are reading this, my experience selling my house in London was that the delays were entirely for the enrichment of the solicitors. The firm I went with (who were otherwise excellent, I have to say) trumpeted a reduced price if exchange happened at least 2 weeks before completion. I had a cash buyer, we negotiated 3 or 4 months in advance an exchange date and a completion date which all parties were happy with, and yet we still ended up having to exchange and complete on the same day, for no discernibly obvious reason, and so had to pay a couple of hundred quid more. It was so very frustrating.

The solicitor I have used twice here in Scotland was great - somehow even though it was a stressful experience, I never once had the impression that things were being strung out for the sake of it. Buying our current house was strung out by the fact that one of the vendors (they were twin brothers) was taking a year out to travel round New Zealand, and had gone without signing something vital before he went, so they had to try and contact him to get him to go to find a solicitor in the nearest city to get something signed and witnessed and sent back. I think our solicitor quite enjoyed the chance to lecture his counterpart on their ineptitude in not getting everything signed before he disappeared to the other side of the world.

[ 29. April 2016, 14:17: Message edited by: Jack the Lass ]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If any of you had trouble with the interwebby thing this morning it is probably my fault as my new tab stopped working so I took it to a local shop where a child of about 5 (probably 16 or 17) fixed it then refused the proferred 50 rupees!

Last night's party (night before wedding) was amazing, I'll tell more when home one my desktop.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Last night's party (night before wedding) was amazing, I'll tell more when home one my desktop.

So many of your posts remind me of "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel."
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another gloriously bright day, which, if last week is anything to go by, will probably turn to rain /snow showers by mid-afternoon. And COLD. Time to get the shopping done before things deteriorate.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Possibly showery late in the day, 'tis true. Here, glad to make it to the weekend after some full-on weeks. A garden centre will be visited. And, with any luck, the resulting 'job lot' of bark chippings will be spread in the right places. Or, failing that, tea will be sipped.
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bright here too, but we've definitely got showers forecast. That's not going to make helping all day at the Guide stall at the May Fayre any better.

What I would really like to do is sleep. We had an internal Ofsted, which was much worse than the real thing. We now have a big drive to complete the additional work to meet the outstanding criteria, in the next six weeks before we get another unannounced spot check. The timing sucks as it's the final week of the GCSE coursework and the deadlines for coursework and exams keep coming for those 6 weeks.

We had snow showers twice at least yesterday: when I was out buying lunch I abandoned walking back to the office immediately as the big soft white stuff coming down was a bit too much. Again at 3:30pm, when the rest of the tutors wanted to leave, they were standing clustered in the door not wanting to move.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gloriously sunny and warm in the sun. The shopping was finished by 9 and the rest of the day's my own. In my usual fashion it suddenly occurred to me in the car that what I really wanted for the bank holiday was to get the DVDs of Game of Thrones from the library, as I've only read the books so far. And of course they're all currently out on loan.

Still, there are plenty of other things, including all the rest of Father Ted. [Big Grin]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

So many of your posts remind me of "The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel."
[Big Grin]

I am the best exotic marigold!

Round two tonight.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have a good one, Wodders! [Smile]

I'm still coughing a lot more than I want to be, but at least I slept fairly well (and very late), which I think will have done me some good. I honestly think the last time I felt that ill was when I had mumps, circa 1973.

I really ought to go and do some more decluttering ...

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I honestly think the last time I felt that ill was when I had mumps, circa 1973.

I do hope you're feeling altogether better now. Having a cold is one thing, but the flu-type ones where you feel like death for a while (usually before the symptoms come out), are the worst.

Anyway, Happy May Day one and all. Anyone get up early, or planning on a champagne breakfast, spot of traditional English dancing round the maypole and that sort of thing?

I confess to having got up early but that was to get the Sunday papers. However, if this full-strength Assam tea has the effect I think it might have I'll probably be dancing round the nearest maypole later whether I want to or not.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got my May Fair fix yesterday, sadly without Maypole dancing. The Guides stall, which I was helping on, had a Splat the Rat, Hook a Duck and tombola. (We need a proper tombola drum). Four hours of putting rats down tubes over my head feels like I had a gym work out, and as if it was good for triceps. (I did get relieved for an hour half way through to find lunch and a toilet). We were lucky with weather, the showers didn't really start until 4:30pm, and it cleared the ground very effectively, so we were all packed up earlier than we would be normally.

That fair usually has maypole dancing - a demonstration from the local school that teaches it - and a join in session for anyone who wants to play, ferret racing, Punch and Judy, fun dog show at the end. Originally we had the local Morris Dancers with the Maypole dancing, back when we started it. Sadly, it may be the last one, because the committee needs volunteers. Three of the key members have died, two very young, I got too busy at work and the guy who is now key is moving away. (I was the secretary when we started this and was sounded out to see if I had time to come back.) They were saying 15 years yesterday, but I am sure we didn't start this in 2001, it was nearer 2004 or 2005.

There was a traditional May Fair that died out around WW1: we were quite cross when we set this up, because we were a just too late for the 750th anniversary of its charter in 1253, but it was really a Whitsun Fair.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

04:45 Monday morning on platform 4 of Bangalore Junction railway station waiting for someone to come along and unlock the doors on the train I'll be taking home in an hour and a half. It's very quiet and a smidgen cool but this new tablet thingy really has changed things more than I reckoned. An excellent purchase.

I hope to be home for supper and then sleep!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D. was playing for the local Presbies this morning, and as I still didn't trust myself not to get a coughing fit, I stayed at home and made a chicken casserole, ostensibly for lunch. However, when he got in he decided he wanted to do a fry-up, so he did, and the casserole will do for tomorrow.

Felt well enough to go to Evensong and Benediction at St. M's in the evening (and the cough more-or-less behaved) followed by coffee with some friends, which was v. jolly.

Better go and have an early-ish night now, as w*rk beckons on the morrow ... [Snore]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope you really have kicked that cough into submission, Piglet!

WW - am I right in thinking that you have referred to a Syro-Malabar church on this thread? I only ask because our CofE church and church hall were rented the other week by a Syro-Malabar congregation, who packed them to the rafters and then made a very colourful and decorative picture taking tea and cake on the lawn outside.

I think we need a faculty from the diocese to allow this to become a regular event, but given the rent and the fact that they cleaned up so beautifully afterwards, we are all hoping they can become frequent visitors [Overused]

Mrs. S, coming over all ecumenical

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW - I like tablets, though I don't think I use mine as well as I should.
Our son came home for the evening yesterday, so we got him to cook - mushroom and chestnut ravioli with a cavalo nero pesto - yummy. Standards of cooking in the house have declined since he moved out.
Piglet I hope the cough goes away soon. It souds very much like you've had the virus that laid half my work collegues and my mum low.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
[...] this new tablet thingy really has changed things more than I reckoned. [...]

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
WW - I like tablets, though I don't think I use mine as well as I should. [...]

Take the tablets, Tiger! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I see we're into traditional Bank Holiday weather with grey skies and a forecast of heavy rain for later this morning. Good to know that the old customs are still being kept up. [Roll Eyes]
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's just somewhat grey here, but with patches of pale blue showing through. Enough to make a Dutchman a pair of trousers, as a (sadly now deceased) friend would have said.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone who thought 1st May (or even the 2nd) was a good date to dance round maypoles, cavort in the dew, etc. etc. was not an Englishman! [Ultra confused]

As usual, its perishing cold, very windy and about to rain. [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Oh, I don't know. Cavorting round the maypole might help to keep you warm.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Only if you dress in waterproof layers.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I see we're into traditional Bank Holiday weather with grey skies and a forecast of heavy rain for later this morning. Good to know that the old customs are still being kept up. [Roll Eyes]

But Mr Nen sowed grass seed on our ailing front lawns yesterday and this is watering it in nicely. [Big Grin]

I've done loads this morning, including cook and eat lunch, but am still not dressed. I have plenty more to do before we go out later (and fear not, I intend to shower and dress before then) but having not slept well last night I will have rest before we go. I'm discovering the restorative delights of The Power Nap. If only it were practical at work.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When last we were in Britain we took a cab to our hotel. It was pissing down, absolutely a deluge. Our cabby informed us that it was a tradition for Bank Holidays.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Absolutely right, BC. [Big Grin]

I'm reminded of an episode of Chelmsford 123 when they were having a drought; they try everything, rain-dances, you name it but still nothing. Suddenly it begins to pour, and when they ask the Roman Governor what he did, he says "I declared today to be a Bank Holiday".

eta: it isn't a bank holiday here, and the sun's splitting the rocks ... [Paranoid]

[ 02. May 2016, 14:09: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

They really ought to bring Chelmsford 123 back. It would make a change from, say, Dad's Army which hasn't been off the telly since the 1960s.

I've just been to see the British Life Photography Awards 2016 where the selection of images was really quite stunning. It isn't online anywhere as far as I can make out but if anyone is interested, last year's is here and if you click on the eye you can get a slideshow.

Pouring with rain now. Bank holiday has set in.

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite apart from being a bank holiday, today has been an important annual festival in the Chamois household: Positively The Last Appearance of the Christmas Turkey. The final pack of turkey meat came out of the freezer earlier this week to make a pasta salad, and earlier today we finished the final batch of soup made from turkey stock.

No more until next Christmas. And now I have a nice empty space in the freezer for the summer fruit and vegetables from the garden.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, today's walk was interrupted with an unplanned pub stop. I was soaked through and needed somewhere to put on dry clothing and keep myself warm while waiting for the rain to stop.

It did and I managed to get to a railway station before it started again. Fall back if it did not was to order a taxi but that would have been expensive.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My wife has been unwell, today she was feeling better and she wanted me to take her on a Country Drive with a Pub Lunch - which we did, most enjoyably.

By the time we'd finished lunch, the sun had come out. So she asked me to take her home via a Meandering Route. By the time we had done this (and stopped at a garden centre to buy some compost), the clouds were gathering again.

It was clearly far too risky to think about cutting the lawn. What a shame. [Waterworks]

[ 02. May 2016, 18:12: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We made the pleasing discovery that the National Botanical Gardens of Wales was a lot neater than we had thought - just under 60 miles, or just slightly more than the distance to Hereford, and about 80 minutes, as most of the journey is dual carriageway or motorway.
It was wet and grey until after lunch - we spent the morning in the big glasshouse looking at the plants and listening to a very good duo of piano accordion and fiddle, then after lunch, the sun came out and we had a very pleasant couple of hours wandering around the grounds. We're definitely going back when the weather is a bit warmer.
It's now emptying down.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was at Lotherton Hall for a food festival this morning. The market was a washout (though I came back with strawberries and some black pudding) but had dried up a little in time to walk around their bird conservation park. The flamingos didn't seem overly bothered by the dodgy weather and the kookaburras were laughing away.

Substantial fish & chips were eaten in the Wetherby Whaler, just in time for the weather to turn and the sun come out. It's turning into a beautiful evening here, just as everybody is going home [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We walked down the road to a good pub for a variety of beers and rather nice burgers. It was warm enough top just wear a light jacket, but it's got rather blustery and a bit wet now.
Tomorrow I'm off to the midlands for meet-up with my friend from York. We meet in the middle at Newark. We both have birthdays coming up so have promised ourselves a glass of something fizzy.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... a Country Drive with a Pub Lunch ...

I've had some very good CD&PLs in your part of the country - they know how to do a good feed.

Hope Mrs. BT feels better soon.

edited for grammatical bollocks

[ 02. May 2016, 23:32: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<waves>

From a very hot and sunny Majorca. Mr Boogs has hired a bike (of course!) As for me, sunbathing and reading [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bit more walking at at the weekend. Did 13.5 miles over the clifftops of Sussex on Saturday as I plodded from Seaford to Eastbourne over Seaford Head, the Seven Sisters and Beachy Head.

Earned myself a couple of blisters doing that, one of which popped on Monday as I was going up Box Hill for the 4th time (training for mountain climbing). My toe now looks like something's taken a bite out of it. [Projectile]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, that sounds painful Sipech. You have my sympathies. I'm trying to wear in a new pair of Docs at the moment whilst avoiding something similar, which anyone who's familiar with DMs will know is a feat (feet?) of patience. I'm currently sporting a Frankenstein's Creature-like stiff-ankled walk.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

About two weeks ago I bought a new pair of shoes to replace the ones that split. As expected I'm now breaking my feet in, which this time means three red raw patches and a succession of plasters until the blasted shoes get used to me, and having to leave them at home periodically and revert to the old split pair until the pain subsides. Why new shoes invariably have to be christened in blood I really don't know.

And this pair had better not leak next time it rains. Shoes never used to do this but these days they seem to be made much less well than they used to.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Ooh, that sounds painful Sipech. You have my sympathies. I'm trying to wear in a new pair of Docs at the moment whilst avoiding something similar, which anyone who's familiar with DMs will know is a feat (feet?) of patience. I'm currently sporting a Frankenstein's Creature-like stiff-ankled walk.

Me too! I thought I was the only one having that problem with Docs.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

Me too! I thought I was the only one having that problem with Docs.
Nope, I think it's pretty common.

I usually attack new boots with some Vaseline and 'work' the leather a bit, but the recent crappy weather necessitated waterproof footwear.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I find with new shoes that they're one extreme or the other - either they're so comfortable so immediately that I never want to take them off, or they cut my feet to ribbons and I never want to put them back on. The latter option usually occurs if I've had a brain-fart and elected to wear them for something that lasts all day, like a trip to London or the flight back home.

As my old boss used to say, "by the time I've got a pair of shoes broken in, they're worn out".

[ 04. May 2016, 00:03: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My two feet are not exactly the same size or shape. Before I wear new shoes, I treat them with shoe stretch. I spray the stuff in the shoes, put them on, and walk around for at least fifteen minutes. Then I take them off to let them dry.

This works very well for me.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Wedding:

Well, it was amazing and just a little bit OTT - okay, quite a lot really.

Putting it in context the groom’s father paid for the lot, but then he is a rather wealthy guy so could afford to. The estimate is that it cost 25 lakh rupees - Rs 25,00,000 which is roughly UKP25,000 in exchange value terms or UKP250,000 in living standard terms. It used a huge and very posh venue which had been extensively decorated - the hall sat several thousand guests and off to the side was the dining area that fed us all in shifts. There was a live band each night that also included an exotic dancer - it was fun to watch the younger teen boys’ reaction to this as they went up to throw money at her feet.

What I found the most startling was the women. Most of the guests were Muslim so most women arrived burqa-clad and veiled but once inside the venue the burqa and veil were soon discarded and the array of expensive sarees was just mind-boggling - many were in the 1,00,000 rupees/1,000 quid category - and then there was the jewellery! This was an [if not the] important social event of the year and so all the finery was on display. I couldn’t begin to guess the value in gold that was there but it would have been enough to pay off the national debts of several small- to medium-sized countries!

The most touching moment was when it was my turn to be photographed next to the groom, who I have known since he was a lad, and he called for his dad to come in the photo as well so he was stood between his dad and me. I must remember to ask for a print of it.

The travel there and back on day trains [night trains all booked out] was a pain especially because of the heat of the Tamil plain at the time of year but it was all worth it to see T married.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by Ariel
quote:
And this pair had better not leak next time it rains. Shoes never used to do this but these days they seem to be made much less well than they used to.
The problem may not be the construction but that you're not using the right stuff, which is dubbin: you can find it on t'internet if your local shoe shop or grocer can't supply.

Another reason for leaks may be that modern shoe manufacturers seem averse to using waxed thread to sew up stout shoes, and the best solution for this is to use a cotton bud and apply dubbin along the seams when the shoes are new (my grandmother used to drip candlewax along shoe seams).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I have learnt my lesson on walking boots. I have narrow feet and even narrower ankles. I blame my mother who even in her eighties has very narrow straight feet. The result has been endless blisters from walking boots.

I have learnt two things
  • get your boots properly fitted. Yes, it will cost more but the correct boots should not rub a blister ever.
  • Learn appropriate lacing and not just the simple stuff. I use a different version of the heel lock to that shown in this video

It means I had a new pair of walking boots in January and I have not had a single blister since with over 100 miles on the clock.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The Wedding: [...] The travel there and back on day trains [night trains all booked out] was a pain especially because of the heat of the Tamil plain at the time of year but it was all worth it to see T married.

Well, that wedding sounds bollywoodian and a fabulous do, WW! Glad you cold go!

About the day trains: aren't there any a/c coaches? I think they're ought to be with that stifling heat!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yup and normally I would have gone AC but the seats were all booked up - never again! I am going away next week for two nights and it will be AC all the way.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Having discovered the joys of having A/C in the Pigletmobile, the thought of being as far south as WW without it fills me with horror!

Talking of heatwaves, it's 11°C here today! [Yipee]

Time to break out the sandals methinks ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, how did you place of worship mark Ascension Day?

Although we're usually get some congregation (and at least three-quarters of the choir) we were mystified this evening to find an almost full nave. Afterwards we discovered that the 2 clergy who cover 4 neighbouring parishes had decided that a Friday day-off meant no celebration for Ascension (yes, it puzzles me too): this was being discussed at one of the local OAP keep fit sessions and our place was recommended. The result is that we didn't have to cut Hail the day the sees him rise.

Meanwhile in the parish where I live the only service was a "Tiddlers Play 'n' Praise" with no communion but 3 action songs [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Son and his wife are honeymooning in France. They are now driving around for three weeks before a final week in Paris. Think they were somewhere near Nantes and went to Mass. I don't know where. Both are good little evangelicals, unlike me, so they were surprised to find the church absolutely packed. Ascension Day was my offered reason.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

When I ran the Toddler Service, I used to ascend Jesus (paper cut out) on a helium balloon into the roof, carefully tethered to the table leg so I didn't lose it. One year, I got distracted as I was untying it. I'd removed the picture of Jesus, and was unknotting the string prior to bundling the balloon away or handing to a deserving child to take away. While I was called elsewhere, one of the toddlers found the loosely tied string and released the balloon into the roof, where it remained for the next few months, which gave me the giggles every time I saw it.

There would have been a service here, but I only got to hear the broadcast of the service at St Martins-in-the-Fields while still working (I could have gone, had a ticket). I walked past the poll station at 22:02 on my way home, so failed to vote too.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016