homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
When I was in the process of buying a house a number of years ago one place had scented candles burning -- I was sniffing and sneezing so bad I had to leave. Another man had been told by friends to have a radio in every room tuned to the same station -- only it was the station my boss at the time listened to and drove me crazy. Others may react the same way to the smell of coffee -- or assume that it's too cover up some less desirable odor.

The place we're buying had icons of saints and statues of Our Lady all around the place. I don't remember any candles burning though.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Spike: The place we're buying had icons of saints and statues of Our Lady all around the place.
Don't blink!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the places I looked at on the web in Fredericton seemed to have crosses on the wall in nearly every room. Presumably the owners would take them away ...

It's been a busy day chez Piglet; we gave church a miss and got stuck in with tidying, chucking out, rearranging and (in my case) quite a lot of swearing. [Hot and Hormonal]

The study is now almost as we want it and I think it'll look quite civilised. If we can persuade Bill the handyman to actually do all the stuff he's said he would (and has been saying he would for the last four years [Roll Eyes] ), it should be ready for its photo-shoot soon.

Famous last words ... [Paranoid]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Twiglet goes to Big School a week on Wednesday, so we are on the countdown now [Tear]

Where did that year go??

I've got an older pup arriving soon after, name of Deacon ~ maybe he's into religion? He'll be attending Church either way.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see our esteemed spies have joined Twitter, with an account @GCHQ. What I wonder, though, is of the first 59 accounts they have chosen to follow, most seem obvious; but why Katherine Jenkins? [Confused]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sipech: I see our esteemed spies have joined Twitter, with an account @GCHQ. What I wonder, though, is of the first 59 accounts they have chosen to follow, most seem obvious; but why Katherine Jenkins? [Confused]
Blasted, I should have been more careful about with whom I tried to find out more information about the UK.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Twiglet goes to Big School a week on Wednesday, so we are on the countdown now [Tear]

Where did that year go??

I've got an older pup arriving soon after, name of Deacon ~ maybe he's into religion? He'll be attending Church either way.

Good grief that's gone quick. Condolences and congratulations, Boogie.

[ 16. May 2016, 14:00: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was thinking exactly what A-in-E said - I can't believe she's ready for the off.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed the time has gone quickly! Best wishes with Deacon.

So there I was, last Saturday morning standing on a crowded train as it gently sauntered upstate when the woman standing next to me says:

I want to talk to you about the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Yikes, thought I.

I informed her that I am a Quaker - this confuses her as Quakers are not widely known here, me being the only extant one in the entire state, so I divert her by giving a quick breakdown of the history of Quakers in Kerala and that the nearest Quaker community is 2+ days train ride and several states away.

We then talk about her kids and family and so on but then later:

I want to talk to you about the second coming of Jesus Christ.

So I was rather naughty and resumed my little talk about the history of Quakers in Kerala.

Anyway, it worked - and then we got to Irinjalakuda and she and her family disembarked and I managed to find a seat!

So I got peace and quiet and she knows more about the diversity of the Christian Community - WIN-WIN!

[ 17. May 2016, 03:53: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Clever WW - I doubt that I'd have handled it as well as that.

I've just had a thought re: Boogie's new dog. If he's a Deacon at the moment, does he become a Priest when he graduates from puppy training?

And get to wear a dog-collar? [Big Grin]

I'll get my coat ...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GROAN!!

But very clever, I like it.

We are preparing for a feast thingy tomorrow for extended family and a few select neighbours, something to do with Herself's stage in her pregnancy - she would normally be moving then to live with her mum until a few months after the kids have hatched but she is staying here to be much nearer the hospital. This morning she was moving heavy furniture about and got a bit of a mild reprimand from me but...

Her diabetologist called her yesterday and told her in no uncertain terms to get a grip so hopefully she will listen - bingeing on ice cream when pregnant and with gestational diabetes is NOT a good idea!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As (I hope) the titivations continue apace chez Piglet, I've just seen on the estate agents' web-site an utterly to die for house about 15 minutes outside Fredericton listed at $20,000 (about £10,000). [Eek!]

Sadly, I suspect there may be a nought missing in the price. [Waterworks]

PS WW, could you persuade Herself to binge on something like carrots instead? [Big Grin]

[ 17. May 2016, 16:13: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

She'd have to fight me for them! I love carrots.

She has a very sweet tooth, it's tough on her but worse for the unborn.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I sense a meet Deacon northern meet on the horizon. Anyone fancy hosting it?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... Sadly, I suspect there may be a nought missing in the price. [Waterworks]

Sadly, I was right. [Frown]

Wodders, you can't go around fighting with pregnant ladies, even if there are carrots at stake.

I sympathise with Herself though; although I'd infinitely prefer to end a meal with cheese, grapes and port, I also have quite a strong weakness for CHOCK-LIT ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The weather: monsoon seems to have set in about 10 days early. Fine by me as I love the rain, I just hope it doesn't decide to then go AWOL for a while like it did last year. Night temperatures have dropped enough to warrant a light blanket but have not yet descended to the nightshirt stage, that comes at about 20°C.

In other news preparations for today's feast move on apace and the kitchen has been declared a no-go area for people of the male-from-UK variety. I am happy to be up here on call if required.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hope your feast goes well, WW (with or without input from yourself).

I've just taken what will probably be my penultimate set of minutes for the Anglican Cemetery Committee, and (apparently due to an archdiaconal brainfart) had the opposite of a feast, and what may have been the worst tea-break catering in Anglican history. Plain, slightly salty crackers of the sort that you might serve with cheese (if you didn't have very good taste), but without the cheese, instant coffee, tea-bags and a couple of kettles and that was it.
[Disappointed]

St. A********'s, sponsored by Weight Watchers ... [Devil]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds like a bit of a disaster.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Indeed, especially compared to the veritable feast put on by the wife of one of the Cathedral reps last month.

I sometimes feel that the different churches (there are eight represented on the committee) vie with each other for the title of Top Caterer, but St. A's didn't even try.

He could have brought a big box of Timbits™. [Big Grin]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In a moment of madness I volunteered to do the nibbles for an AGM. Thin sliced French sticks with ham/egg/cheese topping. Easy peasy. Then I thought about all that hand slicing....

However, my local branch of Sainsburys had a lovely lad on the bread counter who put the smaller batons through their bread slicer for me. Buttering the results and the laying on of fillings will be much easier on the hands. I can see it all happening (tomorrow.)

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Feast over, people all departed, the usual somnolent hush settles over the house - the cat is much relieved, she doesn't cope well with crowds.

What I found odd was that on one occasion Herself was expected to sit on the floor - easy enough to get down but at 6 months pregnant and carrying twins getting up needed some assistance! For the next bit they found a stool for her, much kinder.

I was chatting to lovely neighbour, who is from another caste/community, and she said they don't do anything like that at all; she was most impressed.

[And I've just realised that I've been so busy that I haven't taken my morning tablets today so is it surprising that my back is playing up a bit? I'll take them now and then my evening ones just before bed.]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

I sense a meet Deacon northern meet on the horizon. Anyone fancy hosting it?
Good idea - also, anyone is welcome to my GD coffee and cakes morning at our house on the 28th May 10:30 - 2pm. I am fundraising to name a guide dog puppy "Coffee". (Pm me for our address) [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
In a moment of madness I volunteered to do the nibbles for an AGM. Thin sliced French sticks with ham/egg/cheese topping. Easy peasy. Then I thought about all that hand slicing....

I used to help in the kitchen at a holiday for disabled people once a year. Sometimes we would do a "simple" lunch of sandwiches. Cooking a meal for 30 people is damn sight easier than preparing sandwiches for 30 people.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Absolutely, Spike - sandwiches are such a faff. I'm sure I'm not alone in being completely incapable of resisting sandwiches made by other people. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We had a state-wide election on Monday and the votes were counted and results declared today [all but one where a voting machine is being difficult about giving up its totals] and the left of centre parties have trounced not only the sitting [centrist] government of the state but also the threat from the extreme-right communalists, who only got one seat - still one seat too many but far, far better than it could have been; they were prophesying 20-30 seats for themselves; in most places they came in third!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Something weird is happening in our house. We live in a village, M - 3 kilometres east is town P and 4 kilometres west is smaller town K. We sit almost upon the constituency boundary line but I have no idea about ley lines here in India, though there is a very ancient Hindu temple just 150 metres ESE of the house.

If I am in my bedroom, which is a few metres west of this office/study my phone registers me as in K, to the east of us; if I am in this study/office, a few metres east of the bedroom, my phone registers me as in P, to the west of us.

Do you think the house is possessed of a demon? Or many of them?

I have tried spinning my head on my neck with a conspicuous lack of success so I don't think I am the one possessed.

[Confused]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RE the AGM catering - it was interesting to see what was eaten and what not. Egg, cheese and pate all evaporated, but the ham not so much (although there was more ham than anything else.) I'll know for next time. Also, even though the French sticks were thin sliced, toping on small crisp biscuits (a response to an email telling my that numbers were going to be double the original estimate) had a pleasant variety of texture, a mixture of crisp biscuit and soft topping. Worth remembering.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

WW, is it possible that the strength/direction of the phone signals varies from one place to another, and that your device (phone, I-pad or whatever) is picking them up from different places?

Not that I understand the first thing about phone signals, you understand - it's just a thought.

It seems that the gods of Newfoundland weather have caught on to the idea of public holidays (of which we have one on Monday). The forecast for today, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday is glorious, with rain on Monday ... [Paranoid]

However, it should leave enough decent days to get the exterior painting and whatnot done chez Piglet so that it looks nice for its photo-shoot. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think I've worked it out - Uncle Pete is possessed, as we all know, so it is all quite clearly HIS FAULT!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Absolutely, Spike - sandwiches are such a faff. I'm sure I'm not alone in being completely incapable of resisting sandwiches made by other people. [Big Grin]

I don't know. Sandwiches made the day before, especially egg sandwiches made the day before, are very easily resisted.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I think I've worked it out - Uncle Pete is possessed, as we all know, so it is all quite clearly HIS FAULT!

Or possibly not. They've changed their minds again and moved the rain to next Thursday.

In other news, D. and I have, through the miracle of the interweb, seen details of a house in Fredericton that we think would suit us in the way that tonic suits GIN.

If we can just persuade the sellers to hold on to it until Château Piglet is sold ... [Help]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

[Votive] - For the house sale, Piglet.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Up early this morning and completed the shopping by 8 am, and got a sundried tomato and parmesan loaf baked. Why is freshly baked bread so irresistible? I'm going to have to bake something else tomorrow as this one won't last the weekend [Big Grin]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's addictive, isn't it? [Smile] I really didn't eat an awful lot of bread before we started making our own; D. would always have a slice or two with his lunch or supper, but I rarely bothered unless we were having soup, or if it was integral to the dish, like eggs or beans on toast. Now he has to fight me for it. [Big Grin]

Mind you, it would take a lot more than a fresh sun-dried-tomato loaf to have me up early enough to have the shopping (or anything else for that matter) done by 8 on a Saturday morning ... [Snore]

It's a glorious day here, and we're going down to the Irish Loop Coffee House this afternoon to have coffee with a friend, which should be jolly.

There may also be outbreaks of painting. [Eek!]

[ 21. May 2016, 14:46: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

I don't know. Sandwiches made the day before, especially egg sandwiches made the day before, are very easily resisted.
Egg sandwiches, whether newly made or not, are always easily resisted. I can't stand the smell.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Absolutely, Spike - sandwiches are such a faff. I'm sure I'm not alone in being completely incapable of resisting sandwiches made by other people.

Which is why M&S, Sainsbury's etc. sell millions of highly profitable sandwiches every day.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Coffee (well it was actually a late lunch) with our friend was indeed jolly (and v. flavoursome - D. had a lamb curry, I had a lentil-burger with salad and our friend had a roast lamb sandwich, then we both had different sorts of cheesecake, all of which was yummy).

On the way home we picked up some paint, which D. has applied to the front steps, and I commandeered some left over from touch-ups done in my bathroom and started on D's, until I ran out of paint (and reached a point that I couldn't reach). [Hot and Hormonal]

Must go now and take the sheets out of the tumble-dryer and put them back on the bed.

moderately accomplished piglet

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Today, waking up at 5.00 AM and 20 minutes ahead of the alarm, I changed the bed linen and sorted out the washing - one load into the machine - before leaving for work at 6.30. virtue triumphant. [Angel]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I managed my washing, washing-up, bins out, bill paying, booking train tickets and packing before leaving at 10am on Saturday morning. Tickets were for going away in August as they are put on the site.

We spent the weekend in Beverley, which was beautiful, a wealthy town in mediaeval times, still thriving. It looks as if the industry moved to Hull, leaving Beverley with much of its old town centre. There are a couple of tourist / educational trails, which are very discreet and subtle, one based on the mediaeval tradesmen's guilds, which is listed as four different walks, and another on their most famous artist(s), Fred and Mary Elwood. We got asked couple of times if we were lost as we were trying to spot the symbols marking the trades, to be told that one of the locals couldn't help with that, as wasn't aware they were there.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

People often don't notice things like that when they're right on their doorstep or they pass them every day on the way to w*rk.

Considering today's a holiday (happy birthday, Queen Victoria!), the weather here is really rather good - blue skies with a few fluffy clouds.

The handyman's busy making the banister-rails look civilised, and once he's finished with the paint, I'll apply what's left to D's bathroom.

We're getting there ... [Help]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Considering today's a holiday (happy birthday, Queen Victoria!), the weather here is really rather good - blue skies with a few fluffy clouds.

It used be called Empire Day here - a half-day holiday at school after singing such songs as Land of Hope and Glory etc. In the afternoon, we built bonfires to be lit at night while we set off fireworks. All very jolly and imperial. Then it became ultra-modern, and was called Commonwealth Day, then abolished and became a full public holiday on the first Monday in June, called the Queen's Birthday. Finally the sale of fireworks to the general public was banned on safety grounds. We still keep the holiday, though fewer and fewer of us each year remain with the happy memories of double bungers, roman candles and so forth.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I especially remember the catherine wheel which spun so fast on a nail on a post that it spun off and landed in my box of crackers.

Empire Day was celebrated after the bonfire with mum's traditional superb sausage rolls and her amazing pea and ham soup.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I read somewhere that the way to stave off dementia is not doing crosswords, if you have always done crosswords - so yesterday I completed my very first Sudoku [Yipee]

Yay me!

What I should point out is that this was the Telegraph's Gentle one, which you should be able to complete in ten minutes - it took me all day and I had to rub it all out and start again at least twice! Even then, when I finally submitted it, there were errors [Eek!]

Who knew anything so easy could be so difficult!

Mrs. S, who can even do the Toughie crossword on a good day ...

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I have loaded Sudoku on both my smartphone and my tab and it is all a terrible, but rather fun, waste of time. I probably do 6 a day at least and on a long train journey do many more.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the fact that puzzling can keep the mind active and stave off the onset of dementia. I look at my beloved Weasel and realise that doing Sudoku alone is maybe not sufficient, but there are such a fabulous variety of challenges to keep the grey matter busy. I'm currently hooked on Riddle Stones on Facebook - it's rather nice to say "I'm doing my brain exercises" rather than "I'm frittering my time away on internet games" [Smile]

Meanwhile, I'm benefiting from a bit of unaccustomed free time which is really making me feel old. Whilst running a school residential trip two weeks ago I managed to sustain some ligament damage to my foot, so I'm currently signed off and doing meaningful foot-strengthening exercises like standing on one leg. I feel quite a fraud as it doesn't hurt much as long as I'm not wearing shoes and not wakling on it much...... Rather nice that the weather's taking a turn for the better and I can recouperate out in the garden for some of the time.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the knack is to vary the puzzles so your mind doesn't get set in a groove. I have a book of Sudoku puzzles – when I was going through the menopause brain-fog the only ones I could cope with were the simplest, but they helped a lot to get my brain working again. Now I can do the Times Fiendish. I'm also having a go at the cryptic crosswords in whatever paper comes first to hand. My record so far is 13 clues in the Metro, which felt like a real achievement.

They also say learning languages is also a help, but that's something I've always enjoyed anyway. Duolinguo is a fun app for that: some of the sentences it throws up are so nonsensical that they’re quite memorable. "The elephants are reading the newspaper." Well, get it off them quick before they start on the cryptic crossword.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tried a language course (actually a refresher) but, for various reasons, that didn't work out. I may try again.

I enjoy crossword puzzles and jigsaw puzzles, but they're solitary pursuits.

A friend has talked me into Mah Jongg. It takes a lot of thought and skill (as well as luck), but more importantly the three women with whom I play are intelligent, they read A LOT, take classes, etc. (and are a lot of fun).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I tried a language course (actually a refresher) but, for various reasons, that didn't work out. I may try again.

I enjoy crossword puzzles and jigsaw puzzles, but they're solitary pursuits.

Crosswords can be attempted on the early morning commute, though, or they fill in those unanticipated "sorry your journey has just been royally screwed" moments.

I recently went through a phase of "Spot the Difference" puzzles which was good fun. There's a site that does this with famous paintings, and a Sherlock Holmes one which insults you a la Cumberbatch when you get your scores.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
I read somewhere that the way to stave off dementia is not doing crosswords, if you have always done crosswords ...

Noooooo! [Waterworks]

I've been doing cryptic crosswords since I was in my teens; my mum started doing the Glasgow Herald ones, and I discovered that I'm good at solving anagrams*, which helps no end**.

Then D. and I started doing the Times and Daily Telegraph crosswords and became completely hooked. When we moved here and couldn't get Proper Newspapers™ we subscribed to them on the web, and then discovered that the Grauniad one is free (and usually a bit more challenging). The death a year or two ago of "Araucaria" was a sad loss.

I enjoy Sudoku, but anything beyond what the Telegraph calls "moderate" is likely to be beyond me.

* My old German teacher said that people whose left eye was dominant (which mine is) were naturally better at doing anagrams. I don't remember her offering a reason.

** A trick from another former teacher: if you're solving an anagram, write the letters out in a circle, with an "E" (if there is one) in the middle.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's interesting: my wife (who is dyslexic) is very good at those circular word-search-thingies, much better than I am. She's quite good at simple crosswords but gets stuck because she spells words wrongly.

I'm better at crosswords (but can't usually do cryptic ones although I feel I should be able to), however I'm a whizz at Sudoku which my wife can't do at all because it involves numbers (even though there's no maths involved).

Our favourite Proper Newspaper just closed and it's not the same on the Web. But we buy "i" each day which we think is pretty good.

[ 24. May 2016, 15:00: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016