homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
... I'm a whizz at Sudoku which my wife can't do at all because it involves numbers (even though there's no maths involved).

D. says he can't do Sudoku for the same reason; there's a Sudoku puzzle in the Organists' Review which uses lengths of organ pipes instead of the usual 1-9 numbers, and he still avoids it (which is fine as he leaves it for me).

Living Orkney, a monthly glossy magazine published in God's Own County™ has a Sudoku which uses the letters O R K N E Y P I G, which for obvious reasons I think is rather cool.

[Cool]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You see, Wodders, nothing you enjoy doing can be construed as a waste of time (which is why so many of us hang around the Ship like a Bad Smell!)

BT, my friends and I swap those word wheels depending on who's bought a paper that day - we love them! I have to remind myself that even if I think it isn't a 'good' word, it's still a valid word (I do tend to lose at Scrabble because I put down interesting, or good, words, rather than the highest-scoring [Hot and Hormonal] )

Mrs. S, puzzle devotee

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After a hot, v. sticky day (high of 22°C, humidex 28), it rained fairly copiously this evening and the temperature has dropped to a more manageable 17°. Further plummets are in the offing. [Big Grin]

Titivations continue apace chez Piglet: I've done nearly all the painting I'm going to do in D's bathroom, and the handyman should have finished fixing up the cupboard door in mine by the end of tomorrow (did I mention he has two speeds - "dead slow" and "absent"?).

With a bit of meteorological good fortune (i.e. a long enough spell without rain for the outside stuff to get done) it should be ready to go on the market next week. As we'd ideally be away by the last week of June, this is cutting it a bit fine, but if we have to leave it empty, then so be it.

At least if it's empty it won't be cluttered ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I'm better at crosswords (but can't usually do cryptic ones although I feel I should be able to), however I'm a whizz at Sudoku which my wife can't do at all because it involves numbers (even though there's no maths involved).

Sorry to disillusion you, but there is tons of maths involved for as this article from Cornell Maths Department says "When one hears that no math is required to solve Sudoku, what is really meant is that no arithmetic is required."

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sudoku started to become popular when I was a maths undergraduate and often despaired at people who claimed there was no maths involved. It's about logic and deduction, proof by contradiction, etc. The bread and butter of a maths student.

Looking at the weather, I'm a bit nervous about the prospect of thundery showers this weekend. Am out hiking in the remotest parts of Hampshire and West Sussex this weekend, and the idea of a lightning strike when I'm on top of a hill with metal walking poles is um.... [Frown] [Help]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree with Sudoku needing mathematical thinking, the thing that annoyed me when it first became popular was the thought that the numbers had anything to do with it being maths. So I witnessed class after class being given Sudoku to do as homework - driving insane those poor kids and parents who didn't have the knack for it and putting loads of children off maths and puzzles simultaneously. The logic and deduction is excellent but the numbers are irrelevant. Easy option for lazy maths teachers setting homework, in my not-so-very-humble opinion.

Isn't it a lovely day today? No sign of impending thunderstorms here, Sipech! Being off work with a sprained ankle means I get to make the most of it, sitting out in the garden (well, that's the plan, once I actually get out of bed!) and writing my reports at my leisure. I need to make some cakes too, though that involves tidying the kitchen first so I'm going to put that off until after lunch.

[ 26. May 2016, 10:15: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting. I'd never thought of su doku needing mathematical thinking, and have regarded logic as a legal skill.

I am addicted to killer su doku, which most definitely needs arithmetic.

What I don't understand is why, so often, I can think, for instance, '3' and simultaneously carefully write '7'. Makes me wonder sometimes what my legal advice is like...

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Drizzle all day here so far!

Twiglet left for Big School yesterday [Tear]

All is too quiet here. That won't last as her brother, Rossi, arrives this evening for the weekend while his puppy walkers have a break.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Twiglet left for Big School yesterday [Tear]

[Waterworks]

quote:
All is too quiet here. That won't last as her brother, Rossi, arrives this evening for the weekend while his puppy walkers have a break.
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Although I'm not a complete disaster at maths, the article in Jengie's link made my brain hurt. [Hot and Hormonal]

To me Sudoku is a matter of logic and deduction, and I wonder if it would make any difference to true numerophobes (is that an actual word?) if the numbers were substituted with letters.

[ 26. May 2016, 14:12: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can get Sudoku with letters rather than numbers 'cos I've done them. Try here for some online ones.

After the initial strangeness wore off (I was used to being able to spot the missing number but had to think a bit harder about which letters weren't in place) I got on fine with them.

It didn't make a huge difference to me whether they were numbers or letters as far as being able to solve them was concerned.

[ 26. May 2016, 14:18: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the term you're looking for, Piglet, is dyscalculia.

And no, it shouldn't make a difference if you use letters. It's only a psychological difference if you are using a set of symbols that you are less familiar with or are convinced that they are hard.

So you could make a substitution of the kind:
1 -> A
2 -> B
9 -> I

and the logic is completely unchanged.

If you changed them to symbols written in Japanese, again the logic would be unchanged, but your lack of familiarity (and hence naming them) might prove an obstacle.

But it raises a question about what we might mean by "mathematical". It was a running joke when I did my degree that one saw what are traditionally thought of as numbers (2,5,7,42, 101, etc) less and less as you progressed. Particularly in number theory. Mathematics is a far richer subject than mere arithmetic, but you tend to need have reached a fairly advanced level of education to fully appreciate it.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Advanced Education in Maths? That lets me out.

But I enjoy Sudoku.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I once saw a giant suduko in a newspaper at Christmas time. Instead of numbers or letters the symbols were pictures. I remember a Christmas tree, a Christmas pudding, a snowflake, a snowman and so on. The logic of the puzzle was of course just the same.

It's a shame so many people are put off maths at school by inadequate teaching. I was very lucky. Maths didn't come easily to me but I had a superb teacher in secondary school who was wonderfully patient. It took me a whole term to get the hang of simultaneous equations but she never got cross, even when I ended up with x=x for the umpteenth time.

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
even when I ended up with x=x for the umpteenth time.

Seems a completely sensible conclusion to me.

I've had a long hard day at work but a glass of red and an evening to myself are starting to make life seem brighter. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Sigh) I stopped off at [supermarket] at their pizza counter tonight where they will assemble a pizza to your own specifications for you. What I had in mind was a deep pan margherita with onions, mushrooms and extra tomatoes. What I emerged with after extra waiting time was a thin base chicken and extra mozzarella pizza, find your own mushrooms and tomatoes and sorry we didn't hear you say onion.

On the plus side, I organized a cream tea at work for charity today and people fell on it as if they hadn't eaten for a month and it made twice as much money as I expected, which is very pleasing indeed.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Ariel. [Overused]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Absolutely - good on you, Ariel! [Overused]

The temperature plummet of which I spoke yesterday seems to have arrived; D. was even looking for his winter coat when he went out this evening ... [Waterworks]

It's currently about 3°C and not planning on going much above about 6° for the next few days.

Summer next year is (provisionally*) scheduled for 21st July at about 2:30 in the afternoon.

* if wet, in vicarage [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, Himself tends these days to write orders down on a napkin or scrap of paper and hand that over and it has improved the chances of actually receiving what you want.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, that is why the BEST pizzerias do very few varieties. Our favourite one in Malta did the Margherita, a Marinara, a meaty one and a kind of Four Seasons. Thin crust, one size only, never got the wrong one (or a bad one for that matter).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We're just back from a Seriously Good Eat with a friend at JAG - we've never had a duff one there, and they really excelled themselves tonight.

We started by sharing the two salads among the three of us (we couldn't decide which one to have ...) and then our friend had the pasta of the day, which he said was excellent; D. had the chicken, which he reckoned was one of the nicest chicken dishes he's ever had; and I had one of the "specials" - halibut with couscous, lemon and capers and it was absolutely to die for.

We finished up with a chocolate torte (again shared, which was just as well, as it was very rich, but v. good).

Good food, good wine (Pinot Grigio) and good company. [Smile]

well-fed piglet

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I'm feeling bloated just reading that, Piglet. Evenings like that are to cherish.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A few days from Hell!

Now it is over I can begin to relax a bit.

A couple of nights ago a thunderstorm managed to blow MiL's TV - it was elderly and way beyond repair. Also the same storm blew the lid off the water tank on our roof. The lid was replaced and pegged down so not to recur.

Yesterday morning we went and bought MiL a new TV and with a 3 year warranty.

When we got home there was a funny smell coming from the water taps [faucets?] - on investigation we found that there was a dead crow merrily [and stinkily!] decomposing in the water tank on the roof, no wonder the water ponged a bit! The bird was removed and given a decent burial but then we had to drain down the whole system, clean out the tank, etc. then, just as we were about to refill the tank the power went! Happily it returned within the hour and we were able to do a refill.

We may drain down again tomorrow and give the tank another clean in daylight as yesterday's effort was at the back end of twilight.

Happy Days!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

But you survived, WW, which is more than can be said for the crow.

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
But you survived, WW, which is more than can be said for the crow.

[Killing me]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That does sound more than a tad hellish, WW. [Eek!]

I'm procrastinating at the moment; I wonder if any universities offer degrees in it - I'd get a First no trouble at all. Although I made the lunch (well, prepped the potatoes for baking and grated the cheese) and did a spot of light clearing-up while they were baking, I really should be cleaning, hoovering or painting, and I'm messing about on here.

Come on, Piglet, get your finger out ...

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've done four bags of shredding, the shopping for the weekend, some essential laundry, read two books and baked a loaf of soda bread. I've also wasted 3 hours in Photoshop, drunk too much tea*, and spent too much time on the internet, but it's Saturday and I'm not exerting myself any more than I have to.

* I've rediscovered the joys of real tea made in a real teapot. O the flavour.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Come on, Piglet, get your finger out.

I think that, properly done, procrastination is an art form but, sadly, there is no Turner Prize for it.

We have drained down the water system again and neighbour boy/young man* V is in there cleaning it for us - when he has finished Himself and I will have to hold him down and bully him until he accepts some money for doing this for us - he can be very stubborn about these things.

*In this culture a boy is a boy until he marries but I have real trouble referring to a 17 year old [and up] as a boy. Even worse when they are late 20s!

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having spent a lovely but exhausting Friday at the Chelsea Flower Show (I'd never been before) I was just struggling into my dressing gown yesterday at about 8 am when Mr S came upstairs.

'I don't know what you think you're doing this morning' he said 'but the plumber's coming to fix the heating at half past' [Eek!]

Cue panic.

However the plumber was both cheerful and efficient and sorted both the boiler service and the sticking valve in less than two hours - if only he lived closer to the Dowager, he could work the same magic on hers [Roll Eyes]

Then some gentle gardening, but it rather reminded me of my late MiL - we took her to some lovely garden once, and she remarked as we got back into the car 'I'm going to go home and kick my garden!'

[Killing me]

Mrs. S, content with her own patch of mud

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a lovely day yesterday. Nordic walking in the morning, then husband and I went to a National Trust garden for lunch and a walk. In the evening son came home for the night and cooked us a lovely dinner that we eat in the garden for the first time this year. To finish it off The Muskateers is back.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
*In this culture a boy is a boy until he marries but I have real trouble referring to a 17 year old [and up] as a boy. Even worse when they are late 20s!

Most of the English-speaking world seems to differentiate between seeing 18 year old males as "men" but 18 year old women as "girls". To me they are both still teenagers. But women still get referred to as "girls" for far longer than they actually are, well into their 30s.

This used to bug the hell out of me during my feminist days. Now, well, whatever.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Most of the English-speaking world seems to differentiate between seeing 18 year old males as "men" but 18 year old women as "girls". To me they are both still teenagers. But women still get referred to as "girls" for far longer than they actually are, well into their 30s.

This used to bug the hell out of me during my feminist days. Now, well, whatever.

What used to bug me, but seems to have died out, is male executives referring to their secretaries or assistants as "their girls." At a church where a worked many years ago, a parishioner (Mr. Macho Executive) would tell me to "Call my girl" or "Send that to my girl." The "girl in question was in her 60s.

[Mad]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I feel the same way but my mum used to refer to herself and her group of female friends as girls and defended her right to do so right up until she died in her early 70s!

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My uncle, who is a real countryman, refers to most of his female friends as "girls". He is in his late 70s and most of his female friends are his contemporaries!
It's absolutely beautiful here in South Wales. Church was followed by a light lunch and then a pootle around Bryn Bach park, one of the country parks near us. There is a substantial lake with ducks and geese, and we saw quite a lot of goslings. We. Also saw a Newfoundland dog group training their dogs, including dragging a boat to shore.
The forecast is fine again tomorrow, highly unusual for a Bank Holiday - so we'll be going to the steam rally in Abergavenny.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello [Smile] Long time, no post. I have missed the ship, but sometimes life has other plans. Still, now it is half term, which is undeniably a good thing. I do have 30 reports to write, but I can at least get up when I please and work at my own pace. I also have the lure of a trip to B and Q and then some work in the garden next weekend to encourage me to get the work done.

WW, your crow story reminds me of the time we detected an odd smell in church which, to cut a long story short, ended up being a decomposing squirrel on top of the screen. Fortunately it was the vicar who removed it, maggots and all, and not me. [Projectile]

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey hey moonfruit [Smile]

I remember the days of report writing. Do you remember the days when we had to write them out in pen ~ and press on hard because they made three copies using carbon paper!

Glorious sunny day here. I've been very lazy as yesterday was busy busy. We had a coffee and cakes morning for Guide dogs. £150 raised.

The place which makes M&S cakes is near here and we can buy the rejects (where the icing went wrong) for next to nothing - 50p for five cakes. So, apart from a bit of coffee and milk, all was - profit.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... my mum used to refer to herself and her group of female friends as girls and defended her right to do so right up until she died in her early 70s!

Proper thing. [Smile]

There's a group of ladies who stayed at the Bishop Jones Hostel in St. John's when they were students, and once a year they attend the early Sunday service in the Cathedral to commemorate their late room-mates and staff (the hostel is long gone). Most of them are in their 70s and upwards, but in their welcome in the Cathedral bulletin they're always referred to as "the Bishop Jones Girls".

As for your neighbour, would the words chap or bloke fit the bill?

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We came back yesterday from a few days in Leamington Spa. Never been there before, it's a delightful town, gardens, river, architecture, museum and gallery, shops and cafes and people. I thought of you, Boogie, as we saw lots of trainee guide dogs being walked around the town. This was explained when we walked into Warwick, past the Guide Dog Training School!

We had a really lovely couple of days, no doubt helped by the warm sunny weather.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Today is less sunny and rather windy on my Oxfordshire hilltop.

My beans have come up! Confidently expecting a giant's castle when they have passed their present 4" mark to reach for the skies. [Biased]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm very envious about your beans! I got some special ones from Sarah Raven, but they entirely disappeared - not a sign of them! Dug up a couple gently, but no! - gone for ever, rotted away I wouldn't wonder!

So sowed some old ones I had left from another year. If they don't come up I'll buy some plants!

However, courgettes are OK, if a little slow. I don't want to plant them out until they have another pair of leaves, but they are rather shy in showing.

Gardening is not a simple science!!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Cold and cloudy and the rooftops are gleaming in a way that suggests we had some light rain.

I was going to Stratford on Avon with the thought of an ice cream on the river bank, but this is fast turning into traditional bank holiday weather so I won't.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is not a Bank Holiday in the NHS in Scotland. It is therefore gloriously sunny & warm.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Sunny and pleasant here [Smile] I've been watering the pots in the garden.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cold, windy and grey in East Anglia!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's not a bank holiday here either, which probably explains why the sun's shining and the temperature's forecast to go up to 15° this afternoon.

Does this mean that the handyman (now known as Bill the Usually Absent) will turn up? Anybody's guess.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Cold and grey it may be here but I've still managed to buy some storage boxes and attend a couple of Artweek art exhibitions in the countryside (one was mostly portraits of livestock and chickens, the other was local scenes). The storage boxes are for some bizarre reason measured in litres so it'll be interesting to see how many litres of socks I have.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's so that if you run out of socks, you can fill them with soup. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good thinking, but I think that a loaf of bread is better for that.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel's mention of Artweeks reminded me that my friend was exhibiting this year, although I think she was exhibiting earlier in May only. She's always been very artistic, and I have one of her very early necklaces which always gets lots of positive comments when I wear it.

Up here after a grey start it's now sunny and warm, although with a decent breeze so no chance of overheating. It is a bank holiday technically (so TME is off work today, and I noticed the Post Office round the corner is shut), although schools are in today, as well as the NHS as kingsfold mentioned upthread, and our local library is still open as I took the Elf Lass to a storytime session there this afternoon.

We are hoping to get a 1000kg bag of compost delivered at some point this week - having given up the allotment last year, we* have constructed a raised bed for the back court, so whilst we won't be able to grow very much at least we will be able to grow something. I planted some courgette seeds in pots (a bit late, but it did say they could be sown up to and including May, so hopefully we'll get something from them) and bought a couple of tomato plants, and we have some seeds for various fancy salad leaves too. And then I'm looking forward to doing onion and garlic over winter. We've never had any luck with beans here - the second they go outside they are devoured by slugs.

* the royal 'we'.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

The Oxfordshire Artweeks are always in May. They start in Oxford, then the focus shifts to the southern half of the county before moving up to the northern half for the final week. I just managed to catch the tail end of it this year. They are worth going to, although you can feel a bit obliged to buy something (not that I ever have so far).

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016