homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This weekend we went to Orléans which turns out to be a very nice place, with a lovely cathedral and charming views over the Loire river.

It also has a restaurant with a famous wine cellar which was patronised for research purposes.

Weather in the whole of the Northern half of France is currently rubbish and rainy. Being out of town on Saturday we apparently missed the truly apocalyptic storm which happened in Paris.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, I've only (!) been teaching nine years, so have always had the benefit of computers for reports. I feel rather lucky - I think my hand would fall off if they all had to be written out.

I've also been busy in the garden, though rather more with tearing up than planting. I've got a patch at the back under an over-large tree which grows nothing but weeds, so I'm going to put bark chippings down instead. At least then it might look vaguely attractive.

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I notice the French Open has been rained off at intervals, and all of today. And given the forecast, it's difficult to see how they will finish this week.

Meanwhile, in a novel inversion, the weather has improved dramatically here - and looks promising for the rest of the week. Yes folks, come to sunny Scotland.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
That's so that if you run out of socks, you can fill them with soup. [Big Grin]

I have nearly 9 litres of socks, apparently*. No need for the soup. There isn't mushroom for anything else, anyway.

* Whether they match is another matter entirely.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had fabulous weather for the Bank Holiday. The Steam Rally at Abergavenny was good fun. It was the first day this year I've gone without a cardigan, and I've caught the sun a bit.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Despite this morning's cloudy sky looking like it would prove the rainy forecast, it's turned out to be pretty nice here. Ended up in the garden: it's the first time mowing the lawn has brought out the sun!

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
[...] There isn't mushroom for anything else [...]

Nice one. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If we ask the Admins nicely, do you think they'd let us have a "groan" smiley?

It's been a moderately busy day chez Piglet: after w*rk and lunch I made a pot of soup for tomorrow's lunch* and finished up the painting in D's bathroom.

Then, after a very long phone conversation with a friend in Belfast, I looked out the music D's going to need for the rest of the week (his extensive collection of organ music is currently in many supermarket bags underneath our bed, as that's where there's a bit of space.

* I'm going to be chief cook for the rest of the week as D's playing the organ** for the graduation ceremonies at the local university.

** I use the term in its loosest sense: he says it's a horrid little appliance and half the pedal-board doesn't work.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday I bought a rhubarb crown. Looking forward to eating lots.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ębleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

* I'm going to be chief cook for the rest of the week as D's playing the organ** for the graduation ceremonies at the local university.

** I use the term in its loosest sense: he says it's a horrid little appliance and half the pedal-board doesn't work.

We have two former organ scholars at our little shack and they are perfectly civilised men until you get them on the subject of "Bad organs I have had to play". It's quite entertaining the first first few times you hear it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know anything about organs but with some instruments I think most listeners can't tell the difference.

I joined a clarinet group a few years ago, and the teacher was called Ian Haysted, former principal clarinet of the Coldstream guards. One week someone asked a question about how much difference the instrument made.

So he gave her his £2000 clarinet to use while he played her £200 instrument. To us he sounded just as good as he had before.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
We have two former organ scholars at our little shack and they are perfectly civilised men until you get them on the subject of "Bad organs I have had to play". It's quite entertaining the first first few times you hear it.

Many years ago I knew an organ which was totally unplayable. It had the old-fashioned pneumatic action which was so leaky that there was perhaps half-a-second's delay between depressing a key and hearing the sound. I don't play, but I would have imagined that instrument would have been highly problematic! It wasn't actually in use, though.

I knew another instrument in which one manual had electric action and the other had trackers. Consequently the two keyboards felt very different. The regular organist was well used to it, but visitors found it difficult.

[ 31. May 2016, 12:42: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems to me that a really good player will make the duffest of instruments sound well, but if you were to give a mediocre player like me a really good flute, I'd probably sound better than I deserved.

D. is usually very good at making duff organs "sing", but that skill isn't quite infinite. Having said that, the average punter in the audience probably won't notice.

eta: D. reckons there are very few organs which are truly unplayable - in some cases, give him an afternoon with a tuning stick (and possibly some duck-tape [Big Grin] ) and they'd be at least usable.

We seem to have gone back to winter here again - it's cold, wet and miserable. [Frown]

(edited for cross-post with BT)

[ 31. May 2016, 12:47: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You'd feel at home in Suffolk, then: the weather here is terrible, and it's the Show tomorrow!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lots of wonderful rain here - I went to The Big City this morning and it was dry when I left, rained on the bus journey, didn't rain in town at all, rained on the way back and I only used my umbrella walking up from the village to the house.

Brilliant!

I've just has a WhatsApp chat with a mate in Birkenhead, where the sun is reportedly cracking the flags, and it was clearer than a proper telephone call and it cost just a little bit of internetty stuff - no lag either! In the early days of VOIP the lag used to dry me bananas.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It’s still hosing it down here and forecast to continue doing so for some time.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I suspect the announcement of an indefinite transport strike starting on Thursday, a week earlier than planned, has something to do with the weather forecast.

So far we have a blockade of the oil refineries and threatened strikes by nuclear workers, along with a walk-out of the trains and Parisian transport authority. They also stopped the bin lorries from getting out last night.

I’ll take you up on that trip to sunny Scotland. Here we are looking at no petrol, no electricity, no rubbish collections and walking or cycling for miles in a monsoon. On the upside, this might improve our notorious Parisian air quality a bit, I suppose…

Behind this there is exactly ONE trades union which clears hates us all and wants us to be miserable.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

For the uninitiated, can you explain the relationship between the organ (nasty appliance or otherwise) and a graduation ceremony?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

For the uninitiated, can you explain the relationship between the organ (nasty appliance or otherwise) and a graduation ceremony?
To play Pomp and Circumstance and the hymns (not to mention O Canada and the school song?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
It’s still hosing it down here and forecast to continue doing so for some time.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I suspect the announcement of an indefinite transport strike starting on Thursday, a week earlier than planned, has something to do with the weather forecast.

So far we have a blockade of the oil refineries and threatened strikes by nuclear workers, along with a walk-out of the trains and Parisian transport authority. They also stopped the bin lorries from getting out last night.

I’ll take you up on that trip to sunny Scotland. Here we are looking at no petrol, no electricity, no rubbish collections and walking or cycling for miles in a monsoon. On the upside, this might improve our notorious Parisian air quality a bit, I suppose…

Behind this there is exactly ONE trades union which clears hates us all and wants us to be miserable.

Only one union, but it is the CGT, which is France's second-largest. Personally I reckon they are using the forthcoming European* Football Championships as one colossal bargaining chip.

*Before you ask, Australia aren't in it.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

No, no, this is France wanting Britain to EU. Just imagine, if we left we would no longer have to put up with this lousy European weather, we'd be free to make our own lousy weather instead!
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And what's more, we could set our own price for exporting the lousy weather. There'll be countries queueing up for a few days of cold or rain. I foresee some lucrative trade deals here.
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
I don't know anything about organs but with some instruments I think most listeners can't tell the difference.

I joined a clarinet group a few years ago, and the teacher was called Ian Haysted, former principal clarinet of the Coldstream guards. One week someone asked a question about how much difference the instrument made.

So he gave her his £2000 clarinet to use while he played her £200 instrument. To us he sounded just as good as he had before.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:

Oops, pressed wrong button.
Some years ago, Darllenwr was left a sum of money and decided to buy a Fylde guitar, which is why we stayed near Penrith on holiday.(they are made in Penrith) He tried various guitars and eventually settled on a custom built one. He was using two Takamine guitars prior to this - a 6 string and a 12 string, and had thought both were pretty good to play and had good tone. After playing the Fylde, the Taks just didn't compare, and he ordered a Fylde 12 string and passed the Taks to a friend who had loved them for a long time.
Roger Bucknal, who builds the Fyldes, has conducted an experiment where he has built identical guitars but in different woods to see how that affects the tone. The results should be interesting.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back in the UK after five days in the Netheralnds playing cricket and you know what? The weather here is shite!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

To play Pomp and Circumstance and the hymns (not to mention O Canada and the school song?
Not actually Pomp and Circumstance, but something suitably impressive* for the Faculty members and assorted VIPs to come in and go out to (he's given them a programme with two different pieces for each ceremony), O Canada and the Ode to Newfoundland at appropriate points, and the Vice-Regal Salute for when the Lieutenant-Governor is there.

* things like Susato's La Mourisque and Battle Pavane (think The Six Wives of Henry VIII), bits from Handel's Water Music, sundry bits of Bach ...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had to use a blanket last night! Admittedly only a thinnish cotton one but it was cold! When I eventually got out of bed this morning my digital temperature and humidity thingy read 27.2C - no wonder I needed that blanket. It always takes a while to get used to the cooler temperatures in monsoon. In a week or two the nightshirts will be sought out from wherever I put them.

Yup, I'm a nesh so-and-so.

Today is the first day back to school after the long summer holiday and the village is punctuated by the sounds of mothers shouting at their kids to hurry up and get themselves ready before the bus goes on without them. This will be being repeated in every village, town and city across the land - by next Monday it will have faded somewhat as kids relearn the routine. Lots of kids [and their mums] also heading to the temple this morning - the kids to pray for whatever kids pray for and the mums to give thanks that they [and their kids] have survived the last two months!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
[...] 27.2C - no wonder I needed that blanket. [...]

[Killing me]

An exciting and fascinating life, for glimpses into I for one am extremely grateful. [Big Grin]

Carry on, Wodders!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Summer in England, Flaming June . . . and I had to use my electric blanket last night!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back from my walking. Covered 45 miles in 3 days across the South Downs Way. My, was the underfoot terrain tough! Was expecting grassy downland, but instead got peach-sized rocks for most of the way, which rather tore my feet to shreds.

Some beautiful sights, though.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Summer in England, Flaming June . . . and I had to use my electric blanket last night!

Flaming June doesn't mean the month is flaming hot. It's an exclamation of discontent.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been the wind for the last year or so that's been bugging me. I don't mind so much when it's a northerly; I can fight that on the way to work and then get a tailwind home, but when it's from the south I have to fight it when I'm tired at the end of the day.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
... Carry on, Wodders!

Can anyone else feel a film coming on? [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
It's been the wind for the last year or so that's been bugging me ...

I'm sure you can get tablets for that. [Snigger]

Over here, "flaming June" has started off cool-ish (currently 5°C) and grey.

Oh well, I expect I'll get more than enough heat in the summer when we move - yesterday it was 7° here and 27° in Fredericton. [Eek!]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just started doing (very easy) sudoku. On a whole separate issue, I'm currently not allowed to drive. And I lead a reasonably busy life; so this morning it dawned on me that my life is exactly like sudoku - 'that can't fit in any of those boxes so it has to go there! [Eek!] subtext: whether I want it to or not!

Mr S drove my car yesterday so she doesn't feel completely abandoned, and I put her back in the garage. You could have seen me sitting there in the garage, going 'vroom-vroom' sadly to myself [Waterworks]

Mrs. S, indulging in a quick wallow of self-pity

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, the weather is not exactly what one would expect for June. I have some mystery flowers in the garden that are ready to flower any minute, as soon as they get some sun, and waiting for them is driving me mad!

On the plus side, I have acquired the bark chippings I need to cover the area at the back of my garden - at least, I hope I bought enough. I guess we'll find out soon.

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

This morning the Weather Channel said we had a wind-chill of minus 4°. [Waterworks]

Mrs. S. - hope things sort themselves out and you can get back behind the wheel v. soon. [Votive]

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Over here in Carmarthenshire the weather has been amazing all week, but embarrassingly I managed to get one arm sunburned while driving

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

It's a good thing I live in Scotland, where sunshine is rare, because I do not cope with heat. For the last three nights I've been putting ice packs in my bed to make it cool enough to sleep in. I have one under my pillow - ah, the bliss of knowing that when I flip my pillow over it will be truly cool. The other goes at the very bottom, where I can jab it with my toe.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

They seem to be getting some serious flooding in Paris, with the Seine bursting its banks and still rising, the Louvre being closed, parts of the Metro being shut and power cuts which have apparently knocked out 25,000 people. La Vie, if you're reading this, let us know you're all right?
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The sun! I can see the sun!

Had a trip out to Haworth today. They were fitting out the shop fronts for whichever BBC drama about the Brontės is about to be filmed there.

Much mooching was done, followed by some strolling and then a bit of browsing.

The clouds just started to break as we arrived back at the car.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
The sun! I can see the sun!

Had a trip out to Haworth today. They were fitting out the shop fronts for whichever BBC drama about the Brontės is about to be filmed there.

Much mooching was done, followed by some strolling and then a bit of browsing.

The clouds just started to break as we arrived back at the car.

It has given up on the centre of the known universe (TM). It has moved out.

I refer, of course, to the orb formerly known as the sun.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Certainly true at today's Suffolk Show - well, nearly, as we saw two brief and faint glimmers.

Really cold, with a biting northerly wind all day. But still the crowds came ...

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Typically gloomy start to the day here in South-East Wales but it improved no end, such that it was too warm for a cardigan by the time I left work.

England will probably get the benefit overnight.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sioni, I suspect this bitterly cold weather is coming your way. I think it's heading west.

I really wanted the heating on at work today, kept making mugs of tea do I could cuddle something warm. Yes, it's half term, no, it's not off, the damn piles of work keep huddling in corners and multiplying.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Sioni, I suspect this bitterly cold weather is coming your way. I think it's heading west ...

Please, not too far west ... [Big Grin]

I know I'm a warm-blooded piglet who, like NEQ, doesn't cope well with heat, but having wind-chill in minus numbers in June is pushing it. We've been putting on the heater in the den, socks have been re-applied and I'm even wearing a warm sweater. [Eek!]

I have, however, made some potato salad to have with cold chicken and tomato-and-avocado salad for tomorrow's lunch, and a pot of smoked salmon pâté to give to my boss for her birthday as she likes it and it'll be the last one when I'll be working for her. I'm currently waiting for a batch of French sticks to rise, but rather more in hope than expectation, as I discovered too late that I didn't really have enough yeast, and the dough felt like shoe-leather so I think we may have to find some deserving ducks ...

Ho hum.

[ 03. June 2016, 01:26: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Bonjour

The weather is crap here but it sounds like your news is making the situation in Paris sound worse than it really is. The flooding is mostly right next to the river and the main inconvenience is that the roads are impassable along the quais. Like many Parisians, I don't have a car, so I'm not particularly affected.

Today is my last day with idiot boss!!!! [Yipee] I have spent the last couple of days training my successor (poor thing) and have had to work hard to keep my mouth shut... especially after a glass of Champagne or three at last night's leaving drinks [Hot and Hormonal] They gave my nice presents because lawyers are rich [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I got told a lawyer story at the weekend: a friend (legal professional type) was ill earlier in the year and had to be taken to hospital and when being prepped for the journey was asked cognitive test questions including "Who is the Prime Minister?"

The reply given, through a fog of painkillers, was "David Cameron, the bastard!" - immediate approval from the ambulance crew!

[ 03. June 2016, 06:45: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I got told a lawyer story at the weekend: a friend (legal professional type) was ill earlier in the year and had to be taken to hospital and when being prepped for the journey was asked cognitive test questions including "Who is the Prime Minister?"

The reply given, through a fog of painkillers, was "David Cameron, the bastard!" - immediate approval from the ambulance crew!

[Big Grin]

La Vie [Yipee]

Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Bonjour

The weather is crap here but it sounds like your news is making the situation in Paris sound worse than it really is. The flooding is mostly right next to the river and the main inconvenience is that the roads are impassable along the quais. Like many Parisians, I don't have a car, so I'm not particularly affected.

The problem is that quite a bit of France is close to substantial rivers. We've stayed on a dozen campsites and apart from two beachside sites, only one of the others wasn't beside a river, stream or standing water.

Is le Metro flooding? Does that affect you? Here's hoping L'Isle de France doesn't become just that.
quote:

Today is my last day with idiot boss!!!! [Yipee] I have spent the last couple of days training my successor (poor thing) and have had to work hard to keep my mouth shut... especially after a glass of Champagne or three at last night's leaving drinks [Hot and Hormonal] They gave my nice presents because lawyers are rich [Big Grin]

They can therefore afford to be nasty! You're well out of there.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad things aren't as dire as the news is making it sound LVER, and congratualtions on getting out of job with idiot boss. Hoep you manage to keep mouth shut about his shortcoming till the end of the day - I know I'd fail!
I've just been for a swim in our lovely local open air pool. The weather might have meant I needed a warm coat to get there, but the pool is very well heated which makes swimming a joy.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sorry Sarasa - I'm imagining people swimming about in the pool in parkas and bobble-hats ... [Big Grin]

Actually it might be quite invigorating - the first time we swam in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, we were getting hailstones in our hair, and it was the best feeling ever. [Smile]

La Vie - glad to hear you haven't been too badly affected by the floods and are making your escape from Idiot Boss. Good luck with your new job - are you starting straight away or having a wee break first?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016