homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
it was a waffer-theen slice

a "shaving" if you will

I like the way the gritty, salty-ness dissolves on the tongue, and yes, the mint added a lighter "top note" to the taste

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the taste of Parmesan but (a) it's expensive and (b) it's fattening.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I love the taste of Parmesan but (a) it's expensive and (b) it's fattening.
Don't dispute the expensive bit but fattening? Not according to the latest disagreement amongst nutritionists and scientists! Its carbs that make you fat, which includes sugar of course, and anyway, carbohydrates are changed into sugar in the body. Fats and proteins are OK things now. Which apparently just leads to the much-acclaimed "Mediterranean diet" of fish, nuts, olive oil and veggies.

This is all very well, but don't the Italians, at least, wolf down pasta by the bucket load, Greeks seem to eat their lovely bread at every meal, and Spaniards are a sort of mixture of both?

Think I'll stick to the Biblical instruction of "moderation in all things"!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll check when we go to the shop next week but I think that Parmesan here isn't too bad at about forty quid a kilo, not that we buy it in that sort of quantity - how much is it in UK now?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll check when we go to the shop next week but I think that Parmesan here isn't too bad at about forty quid a kilo, not that we buy it in that sort of quantity - how much is it in UK now?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Essential Waitrose is £15.40 a kilo.

Mine comes direct from Italy, on her return visits my sister's baggage allowance always contains several kilos of the stuff from her local delicatessen. The owner fulfils every stereotype of 'proud Italian foodie' when wrapping his produce for export...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Parmesan cheese and mint ... [Confused]

Not sure about that at all, but to my palate, Parm is something grated very sparingly over risottos and, occasionally, over Piglet's Pancetta Pasta; it would never occur to me to eat it in chunks.

You're missing something [Biased]

In Florence there is a very nice eatery by the name of the Hostelry of the Holy Spirit. We largely went there because we liked the name (having once been good little penties) but it turns out that the Holy Spirit is running an excellent kitchen [Big Grin] . Rather than grating the parmesan into the risotto, they throw it in big chunks which are only partly melted when it arrives at the table. It is utterly delicious. Since then, we've never prepared risotto with grated parmesan ever again.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:

Certain other retailers have it cheaper. (I've never bought it there, but said store does a splendid Hungarian Tokai wine at a ridiculous price at Christmas-time).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For what it's worth we've just had a very nice risotto with courgettes, leeks and peppers but no cheese.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been a slightly busy piglet today; we had coffee and a catch-up with a couple of friends in the afternoon, and then I made a batch of chicken stock (mostly in order to clear the chicken carcasses out of the freezer) and I've now got a pot of bacon, lentil and tomato soup bubbling merrily on the stove for tomorrow's lunch.

[rant]
I'm also v. pissed off at Bill the Usually Absent Handyman for being, once again, completely absent on a day when he could have got the outside painting finished. If he doesn't turn up tomorrow (for which the forecast is good) I'll be monstrously pissed off, as on Monday the Americans are supposed to be sending us the remains of Colin, their current hurricane, along with several inches of rain. [Mad]
[/rant]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:

Certain other retailers have it cheaper. (I've never bought it there, but said store does a splendid Hungarian Tokai wine at a ridiculous price at Christmas-time).
Indeed... Sadly Certain Other Retailers don't deliver and have an app on my phone.

Whenever I go to Aldi (I try to avoid going into any supermarket) I get distracted by the Aisle Of Pointless Stuff I Don't Need. Craft stuff for Ferijenet this week (when I learned that an A3 pad of paper is awkward to fit into the pram. The chocolate brioche is amazing. Love that stuff...

The elder ferijenet (just turned 4) is camping with his Dad at scout camp this weekend, so it's me and baby ferijenet who has just for the first time given me nearly five hours of sleep in a row. Sadly he now thinks it's time for a party to celebrate,.. Yawn... [Snore]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
In other food related news, last night I cut myself a slice of Parmesan cheese (may have been generic Italian Hard Cheese™) with the same knife my wife had just used to chop fresh mint leaves.
The combined taste effect was most pleasant

is this another one of these "strawberry & balsamic vinegar" combinations that refined palates are already aware of, or have I stumbled across something new ?

I was just browsing the New York Times website. Mark Bittman, Times food columnist and cookbook author, has a recipe posted for " Pasta with Mint and Parmesan." I believe this was just posted today, so he obviously got the idea from this thread.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would like to make clear that my post above concerning Mark Bittman was said as a joke*. Mr. Bittman is a distinguished writer, and his cookbooks are excellent. I was not seriously accusing him of getting his ideas from a thread on British weather on a website I doubt he's ever heard of! It's a fun coincidence, but nothing more.

*Notice the wink.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Parmesan? Yuk. That is all.

[Projectile]

(I suppose it is just as well that people have different tastes, but...MrStEverild has currently got some Brie in, and it is making its presence felt throughout the entire house. And its presence is...unpleasant! He says it tastes wonderful!)

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Okay, today I bought Parmesan at £24 per kilo which, considering how far it has to travel to get here is not too bad.

As for Brie, I love it but last year a UK friend said it was, and I quote, the most disgusting thing he'd ever tasted - before he comes next time I must try to get some Dutch Kernhem or possibly just some Camembert!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

My wife cannot stand Stilton cheese. I, on the other hand, think that a good one is a Thing of Great Delectability.

P.S. My wife likes the Hungarian liqueur called "Unicum". It has no redeeming features whatsoever and turns one's tongue black.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We seem to be getting a slight taste of summer here: the sun's shining, bits of the sky are blue and it's neither raining nor blowing a gale - yet. [Paranoid]

Still no sign of Bill the Absent though. [Mad]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Okay, today I bought Parmesan at £24 per kilo which, considering how far it has to travel to get here is not too bad.

As for Brie, I love it but last year a UK friend said it was, and I quote, the most disgusting thing he'd ever tasted - before he comes next time I must try to get some Dutch Kernhem or possibly just some Camembert!

That's nothing! Try Pont l'eveque, which smells like the lid has been taken off an old dustbin. Livarot is pretty offensive too.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Still no sign of Bill the Absent ...

He finally turned up! [Yipee] He's nearly finished the outside painting (just a couple of windowsills and the top-floor dormers to go) and fitted the skirting-board in the hall, so it now looks properly finished.

With any luck we should be able to get the estate agent round on Tuesday afternoon to take the photographs, and then it'll be in the lap of the gods ...

[Eek!]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad that Bill finally turned up.

Am currently stressing over an absentee too. I haven't had a holiday in 6 years, but booked a week and a half away, flying this Saturday. Tickets were supposed to arrive on Wednesday but as yet, there's been no sign of them. The holiday company I booked with weren't answering their phone on Saturday, when I spent 2 hours trying to get through to them. [Help]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Hopefully all is well - I haven't seen any news reports of travel firms in difficulties. Perhaps they're having IT problems?

Talking of the weather, this morning I took out my wife. Here it was raining hard, 500 yards away it was barely drizzling and the ground was dry.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... this morning I took out my wife ...

Really??? [Eek!]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
... this morning I took out my wife ...

Really??? [Eek!]
That made for the plot of a rather enjoyable film starring Jack Lemmon and Terry-Thomas.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Ho-hum, such as the dangers of not wanting to split infinitives. Call it "collateral damage" (although my wife might disagree).

Alternatively, you might conclude that the rain softened the ground and so helped me to bury her quickly (in, of course, a shallow grave).

[ 13. June 2016, 15:37: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

And you a man of the cloth. What is the world coming to?

[Devil]

In other news, the predicted weather seems to have arrived (thank you JJ [Big Grin] ) and the view from outside my office has gone away. [Frown]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By not using an infinitive in the sentence at all, you were certainly guaranteed not to split one.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Had an exceellent vegetarian dinner last night courtesy of one of those firms that delivers organic food to your door. £15 (plus drinks) for food like that is a steal.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That does sound like good value. What did you have?

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Good(ish) news on the holiday front. Have been told that my tickets are being sent by special delivery and should be with me by tomorrow lunchtime. Downside is that I've now looked at the weather forecast and it looks like my first holiday in 6 years is going to be a complete washout. Heavy rain and thunderstorms is the kind of weather you want to go mountain climbing in.

So any (clean!) ideas for what one can do in a hotel by oneself for a fortnight?

If anything, I'm thinking it might be good if the tickets didn't turn up so I could get a refund and try again next year.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Read "War and Peace" (in the original Russian) or the complete "Harry Potter" series?

Complete a 10,000 piece jigsaw?

Make a matchstick model of the Eiffel Tower (but how would you get it home?)

[Devil]

[ 14. June 2016, 15:51: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
So any (clean!) ideas for what one can do in a hotel by oneself for a fortnight?

Avail oneself of the hotel facilities - check out the indoor pool, gym, bar, whatever?

Practice your language skills with foreign TV, radio, chatting to people, etc?

Take an excursion somewhere else for the day?

Say "stuff it" and go and explore the nearest town, have a meal out, etc, despite the rain?

Wait and see what the weather is actually like in practice? Forecasts can be wrong ("Surely not!" I hear people exclaim).

Give up, succumb to depression and boredom, cut it short and go home feeling miserable?

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My experience of the Alps doesn't amount to a weather forecast of course, but I have found summer storms in the Alps to be quite short lived usually.

Often it's fine in the morning, starts pouring down about 3, and then is fine again by the evening.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Learn to knit, and make clothes for the fish and chip babies.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Had an excellent vegetarian dinner last night courtesy of one of those firms that delivers organic food to your door. £15 (plus drinks) for food like that is a steal.

In response to piglet the bill of fare was:

Sourdough bread
Beetroot pickled eggs with celery salt
Pak choi with garlic & chilli
Baby spinach, asparagus, broad beans and greens with tahini dressing
Watermelon, cucumber and tomato salad with sheep's cheese
Roast radishes with grilled asparagus
Roast red peppers with dukkah on a white bean mash

Not a huge amount of any but there were six courses after all.

For pudding an assortment of strawberries and clotted cream with link peppercorns, candied carrot and (outstanding this) frozen fennel with fennel sherbet.

That lot for £15, drinks extra. Utterly, utterly brilliant.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
[...] So any (clean!) ideas for what one can do in a hotel by oneself for a fortnight? [...]

Museums of all sorts and kinds? - They usually have roofs, except perhaps for the open-air ones. Though you might need to leave the hotel. But just take a brolly for the stroll to the place of your choice, or to the bus or the train thereunto (which have roofs too)! [Smile]

[ 14. June 2016, 22:27: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
My experience of the Alps doesn't amount to a weather forecast of course, but I have found summer storms in the Alps to be quite short lived usually.

Often it's fine in the morning, starts pouring down about 3, and then is fine again by the evening.

From what I gather, this year's been rather a disaster since mid-May - and in part quite literally! Wash-outs in France, Germany, Switzerland and other areas. Landslides, mudslides, flooding. This is quite exceptional.

Moonlitdoor's weather observations don't seem to wholly apply this year, unfortunately!

Sensible advice for any mountains of course is (as has been suggested above): a) check the forecast; b) in case of predicted severe weather, simply don't go up. You risk your life. (You don't want a lightning storm approaching; there's no place for shelter far and wide. I once had a lucky escape, though I'm normally very careful. Aaargh! [Eek!] )

[ 14. June 2016, 22:45: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

SS, that sounds v. delish, especially the watermelon, cucumber and tomato - lovely and cooling if the other dishes were spicy.

Sipech, I think if I were in your shoes, I'd either buy a book of Grauniad crosswords or use whatever interweb facilities were available to download them (they're free, unlike the Times and Telegraph ones).

I'd also agree with Wesley about museum and similar - at least they're indoors (and might even be quite interesting).

Hope you don't have to resort to either though. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sipech - I am shocked [shocked, I tell you] that Piglet didn't mention GIN as as alternative way of spending your time!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Sipech - I am shocked [shocked, I tell you] that Piglet didn't mention GIN as as alternative way of spending your time!

That obviously goes without saying.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

In certain parts of the Alps, GIN might be a very expensive, if enjoyable, way of spending your time. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Tickets finally arrived (72 hours before the plane takes off).

If I am to spend my time in a bar, then if it's a holiday I'll be on the cognac, not gin. Give me some credit... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a relief to have the tickets arrive. Enjoy the holiday.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Bon voyage, Sipech! [Smile]

In non-drink-related news, we've instigated the customary proseed-cake for making an offer on a house in Fredericton. It's on the south side of the river (shorter commute, avoiding the bridge, which is apparently a pain during rush hour), about 10 minutes' drive from the Cathedral and all the downtown amenities* and looks as if it would suit us well.

Our estate agent here is coming on Thursday afternoon to take the photos of Château Piglet for the interweb; nearly all the tidying and titivating has already been done, but there'll be a bit more ...

Piglet, trying not to get too excited [Help]

* Fredericton has some very nice-looking restaurants which will have to be researched. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sipech, why not invest in the excellent Swiss Travel Pass [formerly known as Swiss Pass] if the weather is unwilling to cooperate. Unlimited travel, and free admission to almost 500 venues, and various purchasing options available. This is part of our next planned international vacation - 2017 we hope.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
In non-drink-related news, we've instigated the customary proseed-cake...

Ah, cake-related news. I actually had seed cake recently for the first time in centuries. What a shame it's fallen out of fashion, it's lovely, but I suppose caraway doesn't appeal to everyone and it's hard to find in the shops anyway.

Good luck with the house thing. I hope you find somewhere nice that you feel at home in.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
Sipech, why not invest in the excellent Swiss Travel Pass [formerly known as Swiss Pass] if the weather is unwilling to cooperate. Unlimited travel, and free admission to almost 500 venues, and various purchasing options available. This is part of our next planned international vacation - 2017 we hope.

I had something in my post. I was expecting train tickets for each of the journeys I'd had and a separate card which gives me half price travel on all other transport, but it seems the Swiss rail system isn't based on the same idea as the British (the only rail network I've ever travelled on) and I only had one ticket - and it's not clear what it's for. I spent 2 hours trying to get my head round it last night and am none the wiser.

I think a special ticket would have to wait until a second visit to the country, when I've had some experience. At the moment, it's as comprehensible to me as a drunk Norwegian talking about microbiology.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From this distance it's difficult to tell, but that sounds like one of the varieties of pass. Although it's been a number of years since we visited, the Swiss system is much more unified and efficient than the British, and is renowned for its accurate timekeeping.
A friend of mine visits every couple of years, bases himself in cheap digs at the end of a tramline in Bern, and catches the tram to the main station each day, working out his destination by the likely weather and other factors which are most attractive, jumps on a train and goes.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was wet today as I wore up on my head as I walked it there.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been supremely soggy here too. I thought for a moment there we were going to have to take on two of each animal.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daughter cb's back garden has become a very muddy swimming pool. Her vegetable plot is drowning. [Frown]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016