homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I lived in Kidlington some years ago. I could understand it if the tourists had come to see the old part, which is quite pretty, but I guess one can only assume they just don't have anything like the new part back home.

Which raises the question, why Kidlington? If you want a modern suburb with semi-detached houses, flower gardens and nice lawns there are a few thousand of those across England.

Apparently the tourists have now slackened off - possibly because of the huge interest from journalists, who are now hanging round trying to photograph them.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Here's to it, Piglet. I bought a post-WW2 1946 prefab six years ago and it's great. They were put up in the great housing shortage and were only supposed to last 25 years, but you have to shoot them....

A real genuine bona fide prefab? Wow, can't be many left!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A little later than immediate post-war, but I grew up next door to a Dorran pre-fab very much like this, built in the early 1960s and still going strong after an extension and a few other bits of refurbishment (new windows, re-harling and painting the block-built walls).

Piglet, I can't get your link to load at all so did a bit of a search.
Is This place the sort of thing you were looking for?

Edited by Lothlorien as I cannot get Piglet's link to load.

[ 09. July 2016, 11:06: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that was fun. Two days of a sudden high-intensity cold that arrived out of nowhere, one minute I was fine, the next I emphatically wasn't, followed the next day by bouncing back almost as if it hadn't happened.

Ariel's Cold Cure involves returning to bed, jacking the temperature up as hot as you can stand it (the thermometer said at one point it was 110°F) and the fieriest, driest, least sweet ginger drink you can find. Fever Tree Light seems to be particularly efficacious.

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Well, that was fun. Two days of a sudden high-intensity cold that arrived out of nowhere, one minute I was fine, the next I emphatically wasn't, followed the next day by bouncing back almost as if it hadn't happened.

Ariel's Cold Cure involves returning to bed, jacking the temperature up as hot as you can stand it (the thermometer said at one point it was 110°F) and the fieriest, driest, least sweet ginger drink you can find. Fever Tree Light seems to be particularly efficacious.

Yikes, Ariel, the cure sounds nearly as bad as the cold
[Snigger] glad you're better though [Smile]

Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember reading once that the influenza virus can't survive at high temperatures (around 110ºF if I recall correctly). The writer said that if all doctors' offices and emergency rooms were kept at such a high temperature during the 'flu season, the virus would be killed off -- but no one would want to put up with that much heat. I'm wondering if the cold virus you had also was killed off by the high temperature. (I tried finding documentation for this, but Google just led me to a lot of much too technical information for this poor little owl to make sense of.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That does sound nasty, Ariel - glad the ginger treatment worked though. Those sudden colds can be truly horrid - I remember getting one once where I could actually pin the start of it down to one sneeze. I was fine, turning pages for D., who was playing the organ for a choral concert; I turned a page, sneezed and suddenly realised that I was in full-on cold mode - runny nose, blowing hot and cold, you name it. As I recall, like yours it was short-lived, but very intense.

We're not long back from a v. enjoyable evening with friends at a Chinese buffet (the same one that had tomatoes in the fruit salad the first time we were there, but they've put that right since). The puddings were still a bit strange - cubes of very brightly-coloured jelly, tinned peaches, rather alarming pink stuff that looked like Angel Delight - but the hot buffet dishes were on the whole very good indeed, and included some more interesting stuff than the usual run-of-the-mill.

Why does St. John's have to start getting decent restaurants just as we're leaving? [Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I remember reading once that the influenza virus can't survive at high temperatures (around 110ºF if I recall correctly). The writer said that if all doctors' offices and emergency rooms were kept at such a high temperature during the 'flu season, the virus would be killed off -- but no one would want to put up with that much heat. I'm wondering if the cold virus you had also was killed off by the high temperature. (I tried finding documentation for this, but Google just led me to a lot of much too technical information for this poor little owl to make sense of.)

On the other hand, the last time I was in an operating theatre I remarked on how cold it was, and was told that it's all part of the infection control procedure. The idea of the surgeon shivering with the knife in her hand did not reassure me...

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
On the other hand, the last time I was in an operating theatre I remarked on how cold it was, and was told that it's all part of the infection control procedure. The idea of the surgeon shivering with the knife in her hand did not reassure me...

On the other hand (is there a third hand?) operating rooms are always cold. I had heard that it was because the surgeon was wearing several layers of clothing and was operating under very bright, hot lights.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
The idea of the surgeon shivering with the knife in her hand did not reassure me...

Possibly better than her wearing woolly mittens!

Though, I suppose, that could be arguable.

I went to the hospital see Herself yesterday and SHE IS EVEN BIGGER! I know the babies are now viable and are now finishing off in there and just piling on the weight but surely she can't get much bigger than she is now? Her back is giving her quite a bit of trouble, unsurprisingly.

Roll on Delivery Day!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If she's that size, she'll be rolling herself!

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I read your response on the tube home having decided I wasn't going to the last night of Madam Butterfly at the ENO, because I was too tired, too stressed, to full of the stomach bug at work, and it cheered me up no end.

Offspring is panicking they may mot operate on her hand next week as they've found a complication. She is on a lot of Tramadol to manage the pain and really wants the plate sticking back on the end of the bone in her index finger knuckle and to be able to use both hands again, in the long term. In the short term she's wearing a cast for the next few weeks. At least we managed to get things in place enough to unstretch the nerve so she has feeling in the finger.

Poor Kitten, that sounds horrible. I hope she's able to heal as quickly as possible. [Votive]
Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As we're hoping to head off westward on Thursday [Eek!] we were at our last service at St. Michael's this morning, and received lots of good wishes (and hugs). It's been rather enjoyable just being part of the congregation rather than singing in the choir - not that I'm not looking forward to singing again, but it's sometimes nice just to be there, rather than doing things.

The congregation at St. Mike's have been lovely - they're a seriously friendly bunch, and we'll miss them. It's a bit weird realising that this time next week we'll be in another church, another province and on another (rather larger) piece of rock ...

Then, of course, when we got home, there was a tennis match ... [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I overslept this morning, which is no big deal as I am sole occupant at the moment and so have no responsibilities towards others - but the cat does not agree! She may be an outside cat and semi-feral but she wants her breakfast at a regular time and not when I manage to meander my way downstairs!

How the poor creature suffers!

Himself would have fed her ages ago and I think she is longing for his return!

Godspeed on your travels to David and Piglet, enjoy the mainland.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

quote:
the cat does not agree! She may be an outside cat and semi-feral but she wants her breakfast at a regular time and not when I manage to meander my way downstairs!
WW, don't let your life be ruled by a cat! They have an enormous talent for enlisting humans onto their staff and guilt is the main tool they use. It's YOUR house. Be strong. Do not give in to temptation! You can beat it!!

Suffer, smuffer. The cat would go off and catch a mouse if she were REALLY hungry. She's probably being fed by at least two other households.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chamois, has anyone ever managed to rule a cat? We are but humble, unresisting slaves, born to cater to their every whim. If we annoy them, they are sick on the carpet. If we really annoy them, they wee where the smell will be most detectable. If they approve of us, they lay their disembowelled prey on the carpet for us to find. You can't win. [Disappointed]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A most enjoyable weekend in foie gras land. The rest of the family are there for two weeks but I don’t have holidays because I only just started my job.

I went down on the night train, which is definitely my favourite way of getting there. It takes eight hours, but it’s really not that much longer than the day train, and I think it’s much more bearable if one can sleep through it. In the morning we went to the market, which is awesome down there. The farmers bring the stuff straight off their farms. The melons actually taste like melons instead of turnips. We then cooked steaks on our barbecue, after which we settled down for a nap on account of it being 35° outside. In the evening we went to see Francis Cabrel, a legendary French singer who most of you have probably never heard of [Biased] .

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Typo of the Day belongs today to Himself who told me, via an SMS, that the doctor is having a special scan done tomorrow to determine the weight of the babies and that if they exceed 250kgs each he will operate soon...

...well, I told you she was BIG!!

When I queried it he apologised and said that he actually meant 2.50kgs each.

I imagine Herself is mightily relieved!

I can't be bothered cooking tonight so have taken some wholemeal rolls out of the freezer and some Stilton out of the fridge and I am now off to slice some tomatoes and an onion - I may even indulge in a pickled gherkin or two.

[Eek!] [Eek!]

Food is one of my favourite things in the whole wide world!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'd have thought that even 2.50kg each would be quite big for twins; it's more than I was, and there was only one of me.*

It's a filthy day here today - been chucking it down since the morning. Summer - what summer?

* Just as well, I hear you all mutter ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our twins were 3.5Kg each - and born naturally!

[Two face]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2.5kg is still quite a bit less than 6lbs (I know this because The Elf Lass was 6lbs exactly, which in new money was 2.72kg) - generally here they try to cook twins a bit longer if they can, to try to reduce the risk of complications postnatally of them being too little (although also bearing in mind the humungousness of the poor mum, and trying to balance the two things out as best they can). My friend had twins who were both just over 7lbs each, the poor girl looked like an inflated heffalump by the end of her pregnancy. The twins are now 13, and considerably more than 7lbs each now! (how did *that* happen?!).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My single child was a hair over 2 kg, which landed him in NICU but only to make sure he could control his own body temperature--he was one of the bigger babies in there, and got sent home in a couple days.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So I am now trying to get used to living in England again after ten years of only visiting for holidays. Remind me, are there sometimes days when it doesn't rain??!!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
So I am now trying to get used to living in England again after ten years of only visiting for holidays. Remind me, are there sometimes days when it doesn't rain??!!

Allegedly.

If you stand in the right place on the right day, or move between the right places on the right day, you might string 24 dry hors together.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back in the dark ages, and in Imperial measurements, my twin was just a shade over 2 pounds and I was 1.75 pounds. I got stuck with a whole pile of problems that I still struggle with and she had a few minor glitches.

One of my nephews was born just about 3.5 pounds, but since he is now a hulking near middle aged man, I don't think it bothered him too much.

I am a great fan of baking twins as long as they can stand, but I do understand that medical science has moved on a bit inn 68 years. I still get nervous at the thought of underweight babies born prematurely.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
...you might string 24 dry hors together.

Got to be the quote of the day! How do I unsee this mental image, though?

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter weighed only 100 pounds when she became pregnant with twins. Their combined birth weight was 14½ pounds.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:

I think you missed the one day for 2016.

--------------------
~Tortuf

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
...you might string 24 dry hors together.

Got to be the quote of the day! How do I unsee this mental image, though?
[Hot and Hormonal]

Preview post is my friend......

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:

Depends where you are; places west of the middle can have a tendency to moistness ...

Almost 30 years ago a very slightly-built friend of ours had twins (by Caesarean) who were both over 8lb; sadly they had let her wait rather too long and one was still-born. [Tear]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Talking to Herself [and Himself] this morning I learnt that when the twins are at their most active playing music calms them down again. She also reported that they are definitely shifting downwards - the scan will probably happen late afternoon so decisions are held off for a little while.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for all.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Talking to Herself [and Himself] this morning I learnt that when the twins are at their most active playing music calms them down again.

I was told that the time when an unborn baby is most active isn't likely to change much once they're born. Hope they aren't keeping their mum awake late at night. Do you know whether you're in for a pair of girls/boys, or one of each?

Fun day at work with a "guess the weight of the cake" competition for charity, a huge Victoria Sandwich which I guessed was 2.5lb. I was wrong. It weighed over 4lb. The internet said that a Victoria Sponge of that weight (2000 grams) was about 6000 calories.

It was a triple sandwich as well so there were more than the usual sections of cream and jam, so the 6000 calories may be a bit of an underestimate.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Allow us to share your pain, Ariel. Or, since your pain was in not winning 6000+ calories, perhaps you could put us in touch with the (un)lucky winner? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Quite right, Jacobsen - it really wouldn't be fair to expect one person to consume all those calories by themselves, now would it? [Big Grin]

It looks as if the house we wanted in Fredericton isn't going to happen; Château Piglet still hasn't been sold, and we're leaving on Thursday, and the bank were just making things too complicated. [Frown]

Oh well, back to the drawing-board. We'll have to find somewhere to rent for a wee while, and I suppose that looking at actual houses, rather than just pictures on the interweb, will be more productive.

We're going to Pi for a farewell pizza with a few friends this evening; there are a few things that we'll miss about here, and Pi and friends are two of them.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re: twins and ultrasounds.

Ariel: In Kerala State it is an offense for Doctors to reveal a baby's sex. So thankfully, we are back in the days where the gender of the child(ren) is a complete surprise. This is, of course, to stop selective abortions. Other states are not quite as strict.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pain about the house Piglet, but at least it'll give you time to find out more about nice and not so nice areas and find somethign you really, really like. Could you rent Chateau Piglet out for a while, while you sort thing out?
I had a lovely afternoon in Kew Gardens on Sunday, which included consuming a large slice of coffee and walnut cake. I dread to think how many calories were involved, but it was worth it,

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Sarasa. I don't think renting out Château Piglet is really an option: just too much faff.

While renting a place ourselves is a pain (we've never rented: rent = dead money) as you say, it'll give us a chance to see the lie of the land.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, in India all doctors and medical personnel have to sign at the bottom of every scan report that they have neither sought nor disclosed anything of the gender of the baby/babies - this is national rather than state legislation, sorry Pete.

However Herself is a bit of a polyglot and has an idea from overhearing a conversation between a Dr and a nurse so we have some indication but I'm not saying here for obvious reasons.

The scan centre was very busy yesterday so the scan will be done this morning then the gynaecologist can make an informed decision.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hope everything goes well, WW. [Votive]

We had a v. enjoyable evening (although bitter-sweet, as it was a farewell) with our friends.

Now I really have to get my head round getting things packed (and, more to the point, decide exactly what needs to be packed.

We're not emptying the house at this stage, as we haven't anywhere for the stuff to go (and as it's still on the market, it may as well look the way it's supposed to), but deciding what must go (and what'll fit in the Pigletmobile*) is going to be a pain.

* This may be the time for wishing we'd bought a Volvo estate rather than a Nissan Micra ... [Ultra confused]

[ 13. July 2016, 01:59: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Maybe this could help solve the problem, Piglet.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've moved using a Ford Fiesta, from the south west to the north east of the UK. It did need the roof rack I added. The next car was a Nissan Micra (I had my grandmother's cast offs for a while) which was pretty much the same size. In both the back seats do go down so you do get some additional extra space.

I moved offspring at the weekend, just, trying to save her mashed hand, but the last load across, racing so I could make my booked journey home, she ended up carrying the airing rack and opening all the doors for me, rather than one of the backpacks and added to the injury. It would have been quicker if I hadn't had to clear up the kitchen which was left as piles of caked on washing up by her flatmate and had been for the last two months. Offspring usually washes up but it's very difficult to do so one handed when the other can't be used for anything as it is so painful.

Offspring was due to move again on Monday and/or yesterday, but the flat she's due to move into hasn't been cleared out yet, so she goes into surgery today with everything still packed up and ready to move flats, and camping out temporarily. Fortunately it's a fairly easy move between flats with lifts, so quite a bit is in huge storage crates with wheels as easier for her. Not so easy for me moving her: I really didn't enjoy carrying the 80 litre one filled with kitchen equipment down the stairs from the original flat. The other 80l filled with her bedroom equipment wasn't too bad. The 60l crate without wheels filled with her flatmate's kitchen equipment was on the heavy side too, but we're not moving that one again. Flatmate's responsibility to sort that one out.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers and thoughts arising for Curious Kitten's surgery, CK

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And for you having all that to worry about as well, CK!

Having a damaged left hand myself I have every sympathy with the Kitten - I've never (for instance) been able to play the saxophone, something I seem to resent more with each passing year [Mad]

Mrs. S, not having moved for almost 25 years [Eek!]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The babies weigh in at 2.962kg and 2.808kgs* so Herself and Himself can choose a delivery date soon - choices to be made by 4pm today. I have promised to get the money to them in the morning [operation fees to be paid upfront at all hospitals here], so I have told them they will be good to go from lunchtime tomorrow.

*How they can tell the weight so precisely when the babies are still in situ completely baffles me ... but then so does much of life!

Now I must bestir myself to get into town to a money machine to get the first tranche and then get the second on the way to the hospital tomorrow morning - I am very pleased that this is a week with two paydays! I suppose I could go to the bank and cash a cheque but that seems a bit of an extreme measure in these enlightened days. When was the last time any of you actually went into a bank and cashed a cheque?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welease Woderick, they both weigh more than the offspring did when she was born - 38 weeks gestation, avoiding labour because there were other complications.

I suspect that the weights are best guesses / reasonable estimates taking into account size of mother, measurements from the ultrasound scans and experience of the gynae team.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck to the Kitten for her operation. That and a move, and I assume still trying to work all seems a bit much.
Good luck to Herself too over the next couple of days. Hope it all goes smoothly. What happens if you need an operation and can't pay for it WW?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
... What happens if you need an operation and can't pay for it WW?

I think you have a whip-round the family otherwise ...

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Jacobsen, that's exactly what we need! [Big Grin]

Prayers ascending indeed for the Kitten and for Herself and the twins.

Now I must go and do something more productive than messing about on here ... [Help]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back from mostly excellent holiday today after spending my last day eating, then playing on the computer* with 11-year-old cousin, then more eating.

ION, does anyone know of a collective noun for aunts? Let me tell you four in one place is entirely sufficient. I love having close family, occasionally even better at a distance of two continents. Sadly my Dad is the hardest work of all and he lives down the road.

*FYI, Papa Louie 2: Attack of the Burgers. Who knew killing vicious tomatoes with a plunger would be so much fun.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016