homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
ION, does anyone know of a collective noun for aunts? Let me tell you four in one place is entirely sufficient.

Well, for ants, you have your choice of colony, army, swarm, or nest, but none of those seems right. Perhaps bevy?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Scouse, the Liverpool dialect, going for a bevy means going to the pub for a drink so to use it of aunts has strange and unfortunate connotations!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my family it would be a loquacity of aunts.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
P G Wodehouse, who writes much on aunts, goes for a gaggle of aunts:
quote:
On the cue 'five aunts' I had given at the knees a trifle, for the thought of being confronted with such a solid gaggle of aunts, even if those of another, was an unnerving one. Reminding myself that in this life it is not aunts that matter, but the courage that one brings to them, I pulled myself together.
(from The Mating Season via wikiquotes

Eta sort out stuffed up coding

[ 14. July 2016, 07:38: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Offspring sounded quite cheery last night when I spoke to her, sent home after general anaesthetic, but called at 6am before heading back to A&E. Apparently she's now a fan of oral morphine, which does not strike me as a good thing™.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Poor Curious Kitten - hope she feels better soon.

I'm really calling in to say au revoir, as we're heading off later today to start our new life in Fredericton.

I'll be off-line for a while, as we don't at the moment know where we'll be staying, but I'll be back as soon as I can.

Be good while I'm away (not you, Wodders ... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm glad you percieve me as the [Angel] that I am!

I hope all goes well.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the suggestions everyone; I think I'll keep looking although all of the above may be applicable at various times. I have plans to be a formidable aunt myself, so I'll have to be careful what I say.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone; I think I'll keep looking although all of the above may be applicable at various times. I have plans to be a formidable aunt myself, so I'll have to be careful what I say.

I'm polishing my skills for being a proper eccentric uncle. Who am I kidding: it's been something of a lifelong labour....

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a rather pleasant public holiday yesterday but the evening ended so horribly in the South I’m feeling a bit depressed about it now…

In more cheerful news, on Wednesday night I had dinner with Eliab and his family, who are on holiday near Paris. Lovely people.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a colleague currently on holiday with her family, who live in France. She's in Normandy, but I imagine everybody will be talking about Nice.

In other news, brace yourselves for possibly the oddest chocolate flavour yet to hit the market. I haven't tried it. I have no plans to. It's...

Irn-Bru and Bacon Chilli Chocolate.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
...Irn-Bru and Bacon Chilli Chocolate.

May I just say:

[Projectile]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
P G Wodehouse, who writes much on aunts, goes for a gaggle of aunts:
quote:
On the cue 'five aunts' I had given at the knees a trifle, for the thought of being confronted with such a solid gaggle of aunts, even if those of another, was an unnerving one. Reminding myself that in this life it is not aunts that matter, but the courage that one brings to them, I pulled myself together.
(from The Mating Season via wikiquotes

Eta sort out stuffed up coding

After another break-in when we lived in Texas, my wife told the policeman she had seen a gaggle of girls hanging around outside some time earlier. He looked thoughtful for a moment and then said,"No, ma'am - you mean a passel". In English, that would be parcel, which sounds oddly right for aunts, too.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I got a phone call from Herself this morning to say the Dr was favouring Monday or Tuesday for delivery then another call 30 minutes later to say she was being prepped for theatre immediately as he had changed his mind. By the time I got there it was all over - a boy and a girl, both doing well. Mother knackered. Names to be announced in due course (8 weeks). New father still shell-shocked but smiling.

Just a few minutes ago he called to ask me his wife's date of birth!

No photos yet but soon.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to Herself and Himself, and welcome to the world little ones!

After we'd been married well over a year, TME had cause to ask me how I spell my first name...

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Uncle Woderwick, Herself, Himself, and the two little ones!

[Axe murder]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news [Axe murder] [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] One of each - perfect! Congratulations!
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to you all and welcome to the little selves!
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulatins of Herself, Himself and WW. One of each at the same time seems like extreme efficiency to me, aka Mrs Thatcher, Not that I think Herself is anything like Mrs T.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just been to the local Tesco to buy some food and as I was on the way out through the shop door with the trolley, a man approached me and said 'excuse me' so I stopped. He was a man of about 40, normally dressed, white but from his accent not British.

He then said to me 'take some money and say thank you'. 'I beg your pardon' I replied. I heard him well enough but was completely taken aback. He repeated the same phrase and held out his hand, gesturing me to do the same. So I did, and he put two pounds into my hand. I said thank you as instructed and he walked off.

??? Admittedly my shopping was mostly from the everyday value range but I don't think I looked in particular need of a handout. I am very curious about what was going on but I guess I will never know.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW - Congratulations and well done by all.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad tidings WW! Hope all progresses well.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hearty congratulations all round.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] Many congratulations to all in the WW household, now slightly bigger.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to the Wodders' household!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful news, WW. Thank you for letting us know. Congratulations all round.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to Himself, Herself and of course Uncle WW - and welcome to the little ones - may they be a great blessing to you all.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Get some sleep while you can [Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Lovely hot summer day. I've been shopping in Stratford on Avon, where they have a gelateria with an indecent amount of different and wonderful flavours. It's the perfect day for hanging out by the riverbank, watching the boats and the wildfowl pass by, or for sitting at a table outside a cafe with coffee and cake.

The countryside is drowsing in the heat, the trees are in full leaf, the birds as vocal as they come, the wheatfields nearly ripe and the poppies in full bloom. Finally, summer has arrived.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I found some amazing elderflower and gooseberry ice cream yesterday at Wivenhoe. We were testing a walk for Guide camp in a few weeks, today I have battle scars from some of the overgrown paths.

Glad all is well in the Welease Woderick household and the babies have arrived safely. How hands on an uncle are you going to be? Extra bodies often being drafted in to support the care of twins and you being on tap and all that ...

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to the WW family.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
How hands on an uncle are you going to be? ...

Well, I have promised to go away a bit more often to allow for the parents to bond with the kids without the inconvenience of a doddery old fool needing care and attention.

[Big Grin]

It has been formally agreed that I shall always talk to the kids in English so they grow up bilingual - as I can't speak Malayalam this can only be a good thing.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Lovely hot summer day. I've been shopping in Stratford on Avon...

I am sooo jealous! (But it was, after all, Stratford on Avon's favorite son who coined the phrase "green-eyed monster.")

--------------------
~Tortuf

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Lovely hot summer day. I've been shopping in Stratford on Avon, where they have a gelateria with an indecent amount of different and wonderful flavours.

It must be something in the air. I was at the Yummy Yorkshire ice cream parlour near Denby Dale yesterday. They were having a 'Tractor Fest', basically an excuse for a field full of food, craft stuff and a tartan and steampunk brass band, plus a tractor parade for those of an engineering/agricultural bent.

I had brisket and chips followed by lemon mascarpone ginger nut ice cream and all was right with the world.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile, we had "Music in the Park" just over the way from us, so when we returned from church could we park? No we could not. Some appalling parking but eventually Mrs S squeezed the car in.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All I did was trimmed the edges of the lawn (takes longer than you might think), then lay back on the grass in the sunshine and went to sleep. It was remarkably quiet even though we live in a built-up area.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
... followed by lemon mascarpone ginger nut ice cream and all was right with the world.

Now I have the green eyed monster sitting on my shoulder! That sounds FAB!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

I am sooo jealous! (But it was, after all, Stratford on Avon's favorite son who coined the phrase "green-eyed monster.")
[Frown] I hope you get a chance, maybe next time you're over.
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I keep forgetting it's really easy for me to get to Stratford from the city here in the middle and that I've enjoyed going there on the few days I've met people there for one reason or another!

I think, having grown up less than 10 miles away, it's in "School Trips" category in my mental filing system and therefore not to be considered along with an "All those tourists!!" attitude which I acquired from six years of living in Chester and several years in London.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

[Frown] I hope you get a chance, maybe next time you're over.
Thanks! I have been there twice and hope to go again. It would be a great place for a Shipmeet.
[Smile]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are many words one could use to describe a hot summer's day. Lovely isn't one of them.

Let's turn the thermostat back down to a nice, warm-but-comfortable 18-21 degrees. Anything above that is just unnecessary.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, someone else with the personal thermostat set to somewhere north of here.
I had to keep windows shut yesterday because of a party next door - smoking. She won't have it in her house.
And my back playing up at the moment means I can't move the fans out from the spare room. The house does have a 'summer air circulation' setting on the warm air system, so there's a bit of movement going on. But all the comfortable part of the house is on the afternoon sun part.
I have experimented over the years with sheets up at the windows, sprayed with water. But the back precludes that.

My best friend really enjoys it like this though, so I must stop whinging.

[ 18. July 2016, 13:46: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My wife said last night (in jest): "Do you want the electric blanket switched on?"

I replied, "Only if you can get it to go in reverse".

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Let's turn the thermostat back down to a nice, warm-but-comfortable 18-21 degrees. Anything above that is just unnecessary.

Let's not. You have the rest of the year cool to chilly. This country hardly ever gets properly warm so I'm going to thoroughly enjoy basking in the three days of summer that we're getting this year.

(Yes, I know I should be living nearer the equator.)

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
31° here, going to be 33° tomorrow. In Paris I don't particularly enjoy that, on account of how we have some of the worst air quality in the developed world. Getting the public transport is not very nice either.

Thus far I've managed to keep the apartment fairly cool by leaving the windows and shutters closed all day and only opening them at night once it cools down. In climates like this, the solution to heat is really, really not to open a window. It always feels a bit odd sitting in the dark though.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LVER, there are a number of things I don't like about Paris, but le Metro has to be well up the list. That and the hazard presented by incontinent dogs.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm enjoying having a breeze through the house with all the windows open, but wish that neighbours would realise that their hedges are not as soundproof as brick walls - a current conversation is one I'd not choose to overhear, so I'm taking myself off for a stroll along the local nature reserve before going to water my thirsty crops.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
My wife said last night (in jest): "Do you want the electric blanket switched on?"

I replied, "Only if you can get it to go in reverse".

Like this?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016