homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 36)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Re: cheese. On returning from holiday, my aunt sent me home with two boxes of tinned (tinned!) Kraft cheese.

Oh dear. Well, perhaps a food bank might take them if you don't want them?

(Just trying to imagine what tinned cheese might be like.)

(That's not a hint that I'd like a sample.)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
However bad tinned cheese is, it probably isn't any worse than Fussell's tinned "cream" ... [Projectile]

At the opposite end of the gastric-enjoyment scale, our culinary adventures are continuing apace here (there are advantages to staying in a grottsville motel and having to eat out all the time).

Last night we sampled the delights of Brewbakers' Pub, where we shared a v. nice flatbread with tomatoes, olives, feta, peppers and artichoke hearts* to start. Then I had smoked duck-breast with a salad of leaves, goat-cheese, mandarin oranges, dried cranberries and almonds (excellent) and D. had ...

... <fanfare> ...

fish and chips that scored 9½ on a scale of 1 to the Harbour Fry (ask Sandemaniac - he knows what I'm talking about!).

Perfectly fried, sweet-as-a-nut haddock and nice crunchy shoe-string chips. It's taken us 13 years of painstaking research, but I think we may have had a Eureka! moment.

[Yipee]

* Neither of us likes artichoke hearts, but this passed the "making us like food we don't like" test with flying colours; it was dressed in a lovely balsamic drizzle, and before we knew it, we'd polished off the lot. [Big Grin]

In other news, in a couple of hours we're going to look at a flat to rent.

[ 23. July 2016, 19:28: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That all sounds lovely, Piglet, especially the duck salad.

Re: processed cheese. Surprisingly, it's not vile, it just doesn't taste of much. Anything I don't want, my Dad will take. It's the stuff of his childhood so he's happy to eat it.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope the flat works out, Piglet! Even eating out every night, a grottsville motel doesn't sound like fun.

The first time we took the kids (8 and 5) to the States, we stayed at an Econolodge [Eek!] in Washington. We were woken at about 3 am by the woman next door, banging on the door and yelling at her partner 'Let me in you sonofabitch, or I'll kill you'. Children - brought up in rural Somerset - with eyes like saucers. Mr S matter-of-factly commented 'well, I wouldn't let her in, that's for sure' defused the situation - but only somewhat [Ultra confused]

Mrs. S, who insisted on no more Econolodges!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...* Neither of us likes artichoke hearts, but this passed the "making us like food we don't like" test with flying colours; it was dressed in a lovely balsamic drizzle, and before we knew it, we'd polished off the lot. [Big Grin]

In other news, in a couple of hours we're going to look at a flat to rent.

I had artichoke hearts, the one and only time, I think, when I was at Clarence House 20+ years ago - on canapes with a rather tasty vinaigrette - they're all cheapskates and only gave us the canapes! It was a lovely day and we were in the rather nice garden.

Aren't they all tiny? Apart from that Danish-Greek guy, whatever his name is.

Best wishes on the flat, Piglet - are they flats or apartments in The Maritimes? Don't you miss being a Domestic Goddess?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They are, in casual speech, called apartments. Those in condominium highrises are usually nominated Units (but they are still apartments in casual speech). Although most Canadians understand what a flat is, they are rarely referred to as such.

What Ontarians call cottages are called cabins or camps in the Atlantic Provinces. (Newfoundland is not, strictly speaking, in the Maritimes, which are NB, NS and PEI.

By the way, why are the only pictures I have seen of the little Themselves been shown to me by a mutual friend? [Frown]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
...By the way, why are the only pictures I have seen of the little Themselves been shown to me by a mutual friend? [Frown]

Because for some reason my PC isn't identifying my phone as somewhere where stuff is stored even though it is happily taking internet from said source. I keep on meaning to take it all apart and put it back together again but never seem to have the time...

Also does your phone have WhatsApp and, if so, please send me the number as my address book is also inaccessible. Then I can send them on WhatsApp. There may be one or two snaps taken over the years.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My phone is a phone. It does not have any of that new-fangled shit. Nor do I want it to.

Mergatroyd and Ermintrude are cute as all get-out. [Axe murder]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Murgatroyd and Ermyntrude - I like the sound of that! [Big Grin]

I think what we looked at would be called a "basement apartment", but in Brit-speak, a basement flat. If they make it look as nice as she said they would, I think it'll do us fine until we can get the old Château Piglet off our hands.

Our second Sunday at the Cathedral went off without too many hitches - although we only had part of the choir, we managed bits of Darke in F, which all church musicians love.

We had supper this evening in a pub called the Snooty Fox, and it was v. good - we shared a steak, leaves, peppers and goat-cheese salad (they even managed a decent compromise between "medium rare" for me and "cremated" for D. with the steak), a bowl of quite spicy creamy veggie soup and some mozzarella sticks with tomato sauce, and very reasonably priced wine.

well-fed piglet [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

What have I done to deserve adverts for fishnet bodystocking nightwear appearing on my ship-feed? I presume it is just me as it is an Indian company and so is not general to us all.

So far I have been offered one set in black fishnet [neck to somewhere down there] and a 3 piece of bra, panties and fishnet thigh-length over-jacket in bright red. Whilst it might be argued that a bra might be desirable these days to control the effects of gravity on my rather voluptuous [podgy?] frame I would never wear one.

How does GoogleAds decide what adverts to send where? It baffles me.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, I'm looking forward to your new picture in the Gallery!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps WW, word has got around about your dancing in the rain on the roof. [Razz]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We had supper this evening in a pub called the Snooty Fox, and it was v. good - we shared a steak, leaves, peppers and goat-cheese salad (they even managed a decent compromise between "medium rare" for me and "cremated" for D. with the steak), a bowl of quite spicy creamy veggie soup and some mozzarella sticks with tomato sauce, and very reasonably priced wine.

well-fed piglet [Smile]

I think we are detecting an emerging theme in your recent posts ... [Cool]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
WW, I'm looking forward to your new picture in the Gallery!

No offence Wodders, but if it's in any of that get-up, I'm not! [Biased]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
What have I done to deserve adverts for fishnet bodystocking nightwear appearing on my ship-feed? I presume it is just me as it is an Indian company and so is not general to us all.

So far I have been offered one set in black fishnet [neck to somewhere down there] and a 3 piece of bra, panties and fishnet thigh-length over-jacket in bright red. Whilst it might be argued that a bra might be desirable these days to control the effects of gravity on my rather voluptuous [podgy?] frame I would never wear one.

How does GoogleAds decide what adverts to send where? It baffles me.

I have heard that the ads that appear are, at least in part, determined by the search criteria you enter. If, for an entirely innocent example, you are a keen angler or enjoy eating fish then the advertisements may reflect an assumption of that nature.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I think we are detecting an emerging theme in your recent posts ... [Cool]

You are indeed, BT, but we do have an excuse; the Motel Grottsville's only domestic facilities are a small microwave and a fridge, so any attempts at culinary greatness are on "hold" for the moment.

Having said that, last night D. said, "what I really would like is a few slices of decent French bread, some cheese and maybe a dollop of pâté". So we toddled off to the nearest supermarket and stocked up with same (including a Brie-type cheese with walnuts in it which was beyond yummy), a bag of delicious cherries and a bottle of Pinot Grigio, borrowed some plates and glasses from the Cathedral hall kitchen* and thoroughly enjoyed it (and there was enough for this evening as well).

We saw another flat yesterday morning, which D. preferred (although it's on the third floor), so we filled in the application and are just waiting for it to be approved. We'll have to do some basic shopping, as we have no furniture here (see below), but it might be quite fun - we haven't done serious furniture shopping in years!

Still no bites on Château Piglet though. [Frown]

* We asked the Dean yesterday if we could borrow some bits of furniture when we move into the flat, and he said we could borrow anything we need - there are folding chairs and tables which will do for eating off, and sundry other bits and pieces.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the last post Wodders.

Got any mind bleach?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't been on here for a while - full on puppy fun. She leaves me on Monday and 8 month old Bruce, Golden Retriever arrives. He's huge!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I haven't been on here for a while

Nor me - Life Stuff. But most of it good. [Smile]

Glad the puppy frenzy continues, Boogie. Are there any pictures available of the new big-little chap?

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hello Nenya (and Boogie) - good to see you! [Smile]

We've been approved for the flat, and paid the damage waiver and the first month's rent, and are hoping to move in on Friday or at the weekend (Monday's a public holiday here, so we're hoping to get sorted before then).

We've never rented before (we regard it as a total waste of money) but needs must, when the Devil spits in your teapot ...

It was v. hot and rather sticky here today - 30°, but feeling like 35. I think we may have to invest in some sort of air-con for the flat, as opening windows when it's as hot as that just lets in more hot air. [Eek!]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck with puppy and flat respectively, Boogie and Piglet.

We went to the Patronal festival of St Peter ad Vincula at the Tower yesterday evening. The Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis were Stanford in G, which probably means something to you lot that know about such things. I just know that it was very, very lovely and very fast! The hymns were good old belters (For all the Saints, Holy, Holy, Holy, O Jesus I have promised and Guide me O thou great Jehovah). The anthem was excerpts from the Messiah - the Hallelujah chorus was similarly fast and very clear.

The address was given by General the Lord Dannatt, Constable of the Tower (until tomorrow), quite an innovation to have a military man speak. But he was very good. Afterwards, wine and canapés on the lawn. And it didn't rain! Very special to be at such a place for such an event.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I haven't been on here for a while

Nor me - Life Stuff. But most of it good. [Smile]

Glad the puppy frenzy continues, Boogie. Are there any pictures available of the new big-little chap?

Thanks Nenya, if you click 'Room' in my sig you will see lots of puppy pictures. She's not 'mine' I'm caring for her for five weeks as her 'proper' puppy walker is new to the job and can't start until August. The minute she goes I've got Big Bad Bruce coming for some re-training. Now that will be a big change from little sweetheart Kara (she's 11 weeks now and has been with me for four weeks). My puppy will arrive in October when Mr Boogs is back. Having Kara has been great practice as it's 12 months since I had a pup and you forget!

Mr Boogs is currently working as staff for Cycle America and he's somewhere in deepest South Dakota. They are cycling coast to coast Seattle to Boston (like one does [Roll Eyes] )

All the very best with the move Piglet, hope it cools down!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Aliens Have Landed!

They slept in the taxi home and have slept since, no doubt they will wake later when everyone else wants to sleep. Cussed little beasts!

Earlier I tried to explain Heisenberg's Principle of Indeterminacy to one of them but she just yawned and went back to sleep. I am actually a qualified Assertiveness Trainer but fear that if I impart such skills to them too early their parents may disapprove.

Anyway, as they were spending the afternoon sleeping I decided to follow their most excellent example.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I am actually a qualified Assertiveness Trainer but fear that if I impart such skills to them too early their parents may disapprove.

Babies don't need assertiveness training. They are already experts.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

If she went to sleep at the mere mention of Heisenberg, she is a girl after my own heart!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... as they were spending the afternoon sleeping I decided to follow their most excellent example.

You are such a wise man, WW. [Smile]

We're getting the keys to the flat tomorrow morning and meeting the agent for a "walk-through" - I think this is the equivalent of when you take a good look at a hire-car before you take it out of the car-park to check for any bumps or blemishes that might later be blamed on you.

We had a trawl around Walmart (sorry about that) to check on prices of futons - we'll need something to sleep on - and found that they were about twice the price the web-site said last night*, but still not horrendously expensive, and D. reckons the box will fit in the Pigletmobile. Also looking for air-con units and finding that they're not scarily expensive either - and we'll probably need one for whatever house we end up buying anyway.

Weather has cooled a little today, and we've had some of the sort of rain that sends Wodders up to the roof-tops, but with a spot of thunder and lightning for added interest.

At least it's not boring weather ... [Big Grin]

* This may be because I might have inadvertently looked at the American web-site, where the dollars are bigger but there aren't so many of them. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 28. July 2016, 19:57: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well that was an unexpected day. My friend and I were supposed to be strawberry picking, but the field was 'shut for ripening', unlikely as it's been persistently precipitating all day, so we went to the ice cream parlour. [Smile]

Reckon the subsequent long walk around the Yorkshire Sculpture Park must have worked off the calories.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Weather has cooled a little today, and we've had some of the sort of rain that sends Wodders up to the roof-tops, but with a spot of thunder and lightning for added interest.

We've just had thunder. Nothing else, just thunder. That's the recession for you, we don't even get full thunderstorms any more, just the economy version.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Well that was an unexpected day. My friend and I were supposed to be strawberry picking, but the field was 'shut for ripening', unlikely as it's been persistently precipitating all day, so we went to the ice cream parlour. [Smile]

Always good to have a Plan B.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
We've just had thunder. Nothing else, just thunder. That's the recession for you, we don't even get full thunderstorms any more, just the economy version.

Perhaps the rain, knowing it's no longer welcome in Britain, stays on the far side of the Channel or the Irish Sea?

(Actually we had about half an hour of continually rumbling thunder the other night. It did rain eventually, but it didn't a couple of miles away).

[ 29. July 2016, 06:42: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We certainly seemed to have more thunder than lightning - I only saw one really big "Thor is Not Pleased" type thunderbolt - but it rumbled on for a fair while.

We got the keys to the flat today, and bought a futon. And yes, you can get a whole futon in the back of a Nissan Micra.

Tomorrow's task: assemblage. [Eek!]

We conducted some further fish and chip research today, and have come to the conclusion that the inability to make same properly may have just been confined to Newfoundland. We had lunch in a very ordinary steak/wings/ribs/fish-n-chips sort of place, and D's F&C was every bit as good as the place we tried last week. My steak was also very decent, and the wine was a sensible price.

Something that's beginning to puzzle us is that while wine in pubs and restaurants generally seems noticeably cheaper here than it is in Newfoundland, the prices in off-licences (a provincial monopoly [Mad] ) seem to be somewhat more.

[Confused]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

We got the keys to the flat today, and bought a futon. And yes, you can get a whole futon in the back of a Nissan Micra.

Tomorrow's task: assemblage. [Eek!]

Piglet, I do hope that as well as the keys to the flat, you have an Allen(?) key for the futon assemblage. And that the futon is comfortable. What kind of mattress came with it? Best of luck.
[Two face]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Six-inch mattress (doesn't sound like much, but we're hoping it won't be for ever!), and it appears to have come with an entire set of Allen keys - I hope they're all we'll need, as we didn't bring any tools with us.

D. reckons he can put it together without input from me (probably right) - I think he's planning to do it later today, although it'll have to be before dark, as we're sans electricity.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from London where we were celebrating our Ruby wedding. Service at St Martin-in-the-Fields, lunch at an Italian restaurant, then mooching around Covent Garden.
Bliss

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
Just back from London where we were celebrating our Ruby wedding. Service at St Martin-in-the-Fields, lunch at an Italian restaurant, then mooching around Covent Garden.
Bliss

Congratulations -- what a lovely way to spend a special day!
[Overused]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations Mrs. (and Mr.) Beaky! [Yipee]

We had Choral Matins this morning (as they do on the last of a five-Sunday month), and although most of the choir is away on holiday, there were enough of us to make a really not bad stab at the Stanford Te Deum in B♭.

As there were considerably fewer sopranos than altos, I was "promoted". [Eek!] I'd forgotten how much of Stanford in B♭ is spent hovering around top Fs and Gs; by the end I was quite knackered. However, the lady in front of me said she enjoyed having me singing behind her, so I must have been doing something right ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...as long as she wasn't giggling uncontrollably the whole time!

Nearly 3pm and my first time on the Ship today - travel all morning then a rather lengthy nap. Sorry H&As but it was bliss!

When I got home I said that although I love travelling with Himself I also love travelling alone as I meet such lovely people - all sort & conditions. Today's prize probably goes to a student of architecture off on a field trip; but there were others, too.

[ 01. August 2016, 09:27: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday was the last day of the choir year - thank goodness because we're all knackered.

So it was Mudd Let thy merciful ears, O Lord, Sumsion in F and Colin Mawby's Ave verum corpus before a friend and I took a trip down memory lane and played the Fugue from SS Wesley's Duet for Organ.

I now have FOUR WEEKENDS without rehearsals or services [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck with the move Piglet. We used to have a futon, which was much more comfortable for sleeping on than using as a sofa. Hope Chateau Piglet sells soon and you find a wonderful new villa soon.
We spent last week walking in Italy. Lovely company, food and towns, but it was hot. Fine for my lizard of a husband, but it was all rather too much for me. I'm spending a few days not doing a lot until we're off for another jaunt to Glasgow on Thursday. At least it is unlikely to be hot there.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You never know, Sarasa - there have been times this summer when central Scotland was warmer than the south of France! [Big Grin]

Futon now partially assembled - as you might expect, we discovered half-way through that you need a Phillips screwdriver (not included) for some of the screws and as today was a bank holiday there was no way of getting one.

However, we're going to have to do a spot of shopping tomorrow (we really can't move in until we get some form of air-conditioner*), so we can get a screwdriver while we're at it.

* It didn't feel too hot when we went in this afternoon, but by the time we left an hour or two later, it was getting decidedly sticky, and the temperature's due to go into silly numbers by the weekend. [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and here's me shivering and looking for a top to wear if the temperature plummets as low as 26 Celsius!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Drizzle and dampness in there air - ah well, this is Manchester!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Don't worry - it's much the same here in Suffolk! "The Great British Summer" my foot!
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We're having an Indian Summer here.

[Two face] [Razz]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's been raining on and off most of the morning, but hasn't stopped me continuing having the clearout I started at the weekend. So far, 3 bags of books to Oxfam, 2 bags of clothes to Age UK. 1 microwave, 1 DVD player, 1 VCR taken to the recycling centre. 1 carrier bag of small, useless electricals dropped off at Tesco's recycling point. Now looking through bedlinen, towels etc for outworn stuff, or things to pass on. A bag of household items, posters, ornaments, etc, being assembled. 1 bin bag of past-it and unfit-to-donate garments and shoes. No regrets, just relief and pleasure at the empty spaces in the flat, and wondering what I can get rid of next. CDs and floppy disks, I think.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Clearing stuff out can be very addictive - have fun with it. Of course you'll soon accumulate more despite your best intentions.

WW - The Voice of Experience.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Oh, I know. I've sent off for another two books, and there's a few boxes of stuff coming up from my mother's house tomorrow. But I'm enjoying the liberation of getting rid of stuff I never use/don't want/look terrible in.

It was also my first visit to the (newish) Waitrose's outside Stratford on Avon. I want to move into their cheese aisle and live there. I've also come home with their sundried tomato and chilli bread mix, which I'm looking forward to trying.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, if you have good quality household items to get rid of, it might be worth checking with social services to see if they know anyone who could use them. We know someone who's volunteering at a Woman's Refuge in our area, and she's started a scheme where people moving on from refuges are provided with basic items like crockery, cutlery and bedding.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

In a posh sort of bakery place in the town with the hospital I found dried tomatoes so am well set up for a few more pasta sauces.

We like food!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We are now moved in, and my Beloved (bless him! [Axe murder] ) has assembled the futon and installed the air-conditioner, and really with very little swearing.

[Angel]

We spent about half an hour and less than $50 in a dollar-store this afternoon and came away with three big carrier bags full of nearly all the little household things that we'll need - dish and hand soap, loo roll, kitchen roll, cloths and sponges, coat-hangers, Phillips screwdrivers ... you name it.

A lady in the choir has lent us bedding, towels and that sort of thing, so we're pretty much set up for our first night in the temporary Château Piglet, assuming that the air-con has had the desired effect ...

Must get some flour tomorrow so that I can make some bread - I've missed having home-made bread (and home-made anything for that matter). [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016