homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 37)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I want to move into their cheese aisle and live there. I've also come home with their sundried tomato and chilli bread mix, which I'm looking forward to trying.

Go and live in the cheese section of Larner's in Holt (Norfolk). The whole store is a delight. And you can get there (well, nearly) by steam train, as I did on Saturday.

[ 03. August 2016, 06:44: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
And you can get there (well, nearly) by steam train, as I did on Saturday.

We currently have no trains here for the entire week, which knocks out a chunk of a major cross-country route and is basically Berkshire to south Warwickshire. It's rail replacement buses instead.

Earlier this week, I was reminded that my great-grandmother and her best friend used to walk up to Hampstead Heath on a Sunday morning to watch the stagecoaches come and go (no television in those days). It was sort of like that on arriving in a coach at Oxford station where a small group of very happy bus spotters with cameras were delighted to see a coach coming into the car park, which is probably the modern equivalent.

Travel horizons have expanded so much in the last decades that we mostly forget that it would have been quite exciting in the old days to see coaches setting off for far-distant places like Coventry or Oxford, which you'd probably never normally get to see and could only guess about or look at sepia postcards of.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry Ariel but I just had a lovely vision of your great-grandmother on horseback with six guns in their holsters choosing which Wells Fargo stage to rob!

Sorry, sorry, sorry!

I am a bad WW.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She worked, I believe, as a bookbinder. You can never trust these quiet literary types.
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
fish and chips that scored 9½ on a scale of 1 to the Harbour Fry (ask Sandemaniac - he knows what I'm talking about!).

Perfectly fried, sweet-as-a-nut haddock and nice crunchy shoe-string chips. It's taken us 13 years of painstaking research, but I think we may have had a Eureka! moment.

Right, if we ever have enough money to wander Canada-wards, at least there's one good place to eat planned!

Sandemaniac is currently enduring the rail replacement buses - I believe he was looking at the normal bus route too, but it doesn't get to w*rk early enough. At least there's only 5 more working days, then we're off to Cropredy to enjoy some random music. [Big Grin]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
Sandemaniac is currently enduring the rail replacement buses - I believe he was looking at the normal bus route too, but it doesn't get to w*rk early enough.

Yes, I've taken the week off. It seemed simplest. There's a replacement bus running directly between here and there but it takes nearly 2h and is awkwardly timed; the only way I could make it work would be to take half a lunch hour. When more of the line is fixed next week (ha!) I'll try the shorter bus journeys. Enjoy Cropredy!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That must be a total pain for people who rely on the trains but aren't able to take the week off.

We were invited to lunch with a couple in the choir today, and had a very pleasant afternoon sitting in their garden*, shaded by the trees, eating wonderful food (he's a Francophile and a foodie), drinking wine and watching squirrels eating the nuts that had fallen from their bird-feeder.

We've discovered an advantage of living in rented accommodation: when the hot tap on the bath decides it isn't going to let you turn it off (as happened to D. this morning**), you can phone the rental company and a nice gentleman will come and put it right the same day, even though you're out, and replace the non-functioning fan in the bedroom while he's at it.

[Yipee]

* They're having things done to their kitchen, most of the contents of which were currently in their dining room, so eating al fresco was a necessity.

** Fortunately I'd already had my shower ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are indeed a number of advantages to being a tenant. Even if we could afford it (we can’t) we wouldn’t buy an apartment in Paris.

Like many Parisians on moderate incomes, we rent in Paris and own a house in the provinces. (A four bedroom house with a garden in foie gras land costs approximately the same as a 15m² bedsit in Paris. No, I’m not exaggerating [Eek!] .) There are lots of advantages to this, like getting stuff fixed at the landlord’s expense.

The other main upside is that you don’t have to deal with the “co-ownership” i.e. the charges that relate to the whole building and which have to be agreed on by the owners of the all the different units. For example, in our building, the heating is totally on its last legs. AFAICT it’s got to the point where they’ve decided it’s not worth trying to fix it anymore and they’re basically waiting for it to die a death. When it does, all the different owners are going to be called upon to contribute their share to getting it replaced, and it’s going to cost them a LOT of money. We consider ourselves far better off out of this kind of headache.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think so much depends both on legislation and the quality of the landlord. Here in Britain I've heard stories of landlords either refusing to fix the most basic things; or else fixing them and then ending the tenancy agreement at the next break point because the tenants are being "too demanding". Things like this give renting a bad name, as do rocketing uncontrolled rents.

Of course, renting was the norm for most folk in Britain until the 1920s/30s, it was then that the law changed offering cheap mortgages to all and there was a house-building boom. Thatcher's "right to buy" in the 80s encouraged the idea that the only people to rent were no-hopers. And now we have the idea that a property isn't just a place to live in but also an investment.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where, oh where, is Summer? We are already into August, and I bought my first plums today, which I think of as a very Autumn fruit, and I haven't even considered salad as a family meal this year yet!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Where, oh where, is Summer? We are already into August, and I bought my first plums today, which I think of as a very Autumn fruit, and I haven't even considered salad as a family meal this year yet!

I know!

We have a lovely spot on the decking for sitting out enjoying a coffee/tea/Prosecc/red wine/sol beer. It's been used twice this 'summer'!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
We have a lovely spot on the decking for sitting out enjoying a coffee/tea/Prosecc/red wine/sol beer.

I presume that's not a mixture? If it is, it sounds disgusting!

We have a sun-bed that's been out just once this summer. But we are eating lettuces from the garden, and the tomatoes are nearly ready.

[ 04. August 2016, 16:23: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
We have a lovely spot on the decking for sitting out enjoying a coffee/tea/Prosecc/red wine/sol beer.

I presume that's not a mixture? If it is, it sounds disgusting
Blooook!

No, it's the drinks list here at boogieville mansions. Or a cocktail of your choice. (Scroll down).

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was pointed out to me today that the date is made up of consecutive powers of 2, which is quite pleasing.

2^2 / 2^3 / 2^4

The Americans just wouldn't get it.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
It was pointed out to me today that the date is made up of consecutive powers of 2, which is quite pleasing.

2^2 / 2^3 / 2^4

The Americans just wouldn't get it.

I'm an American, and I got it. (I often write dates day/month rather than month/day.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here in Canada they seem unable to decide what order to put the date: I've seen dates expressed or requested in dd/mm/yy and mm/dd/yy on the same official form.

I cooked for the first time in the flat today (D. picked up a table and a couple of chairs from the Cathedral hall this afternoon, so we hadn't actually had anywhere we could eat until then).

I baked a batch of French sticks (it's bliss having home-made bread again - so much nicer than what you can get in the supermarket) and we had cold chicken with tomatoes and home-made potato salad.

We've also discovered that they sell a small selection of wines in the supermarket (as opposed to the Government-owned provincial liquor stores), and in general they're quite a bit cheaper, but (apart from the local ones made from odd things like blueberries or rhubarb) they look rather good - we got a bottle of Californian Pinot Grigio for under $10. I'll report back on quality once we've tried it.

It's a start - there are still lots of bits and pieces we'll need to buy, like something to put the butter on, serving bowls, a teapot ...

We'll get there. [Smile]

[ 05. August 2016, 01:17: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...I baked a batch of French sticks (it's bliss having home-made bread again)

...there are still lots of bits and pieces we'll need to buy, like something to put the butter on, ...

Surely, just put it on the bread!

In all the recent excitement and busy-ness here I forgot to mention that one day when Themselves and Offspring were still in the hospital I visited a shop near there and found they stocked Salad Cream - sadly it's not Heinz but something made in The Netherlands but it tastes almost the same but not quite as vinegary.

Today for lunch I am having mildly spicy baked fish with saute potatoes - with a dash of Salad Cream on the side, dipping for the use of.

No Malt Vinegar here but do you think a splash of cider vinegar would sharpen it up enough?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Cider vinegar ought to work, I should think. I have a bottle of this and use it in preference to malt vinegar which I find too harsh. Wine vinegar would be better if you can get it, though. Would you consider making your own salad cream or is that not something you'd want to try your hand at (I probably wouldn't myself).
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too have fish tonight. I have take from fridge my pomegranite molasses which has a bit of bite to it. Will use alongside my usual lemon. I have lots of bits and pieces in the fridge to choose from.

[ 05. August 2016, 07:26: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Drat! Pomegranate! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the flavour of pomegranate molasses. I have a recipe somewhere for a middle eastern lamb stew that uses it, but it's just as nice over ice cream.

Went raspberry picking today. Had to fight a few wasps for the booty, but a very calming occupation. Should have enough for jam.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
... something to put the butter on ...

Surely, just put it on the bread!

Even I couldn't eat that much butter in one go. [Eek!]

There's a recipe in the old Delia Smith books for "English Salad Sauce" which I imagine might be a bit like salad cream, but for the more discerning ... [Big Grin]

Lunch chez Piglet today was bacon sarnies - the supermarket here stocks Proper Bacon™ [Yipee] - and I added sliced tomatoes and half a chopped avocado to mine, which was utterly heavenly. Before we left St. John's we'd been having difficulty getting nicely ripe avogadroes (and the one in the salad at our friends' house on Wednesday was a bit on the crunchy side), but this one was absolute buttery perfection.

Tomorrow we've arranged to meet a friend at the famous Fredericton Farmers' Market, which we're hoping will be worth getting up early* for.

* well, early for us night-owls anyway. [Snore]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
...There's a recipe in the old Delia Smith books for "English Salad Sauce" which I imagine might be a bit like salad cream, but for the more discerning ...

That sounds scrumptious though no fromage frais over here but I may think up an alternative.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, your great-grandmother watching the coaches on Hampstead Heath - presumably this was the coaching revival at the turn of the 19th/20th centuries?

Otherwise, when was she born? I think coaches lasted until the 1850s in some remote areas but not Hampstead to Oxford, I don't think.

The demise of coaching really was very swift. I know that (going from memory, haven't checked), in the 1830s, there were something like 36 coaches daily from London to Brighton. The railway opened in 1841 and by 1842, there was one coach left.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Good point. I wonder if it was an even earlier relative, maybe my father's great-grandmother? Mine would have been born around 1860 so as you say would probably have missed it, but my father's great-grandmother was born in 1820, so that could have been a possibility.

As you say the railway killed a lot of the stagecoaches off pretty quickly. In fact there's been a TV programme recently on the massive effect trains have had on our lives - I've only watched a small part of it but it was interesting to discover that it changed people's diets as well. Produce from different parts of the country was suddenly much easier to distribute and fish from the coast could actually be brought inland.

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've seen the programme is on but haven't got round to watching it yet. I did my dissertation for my archaeology masters on the changes brought by coaches and rail on Surrey and Sussex, really interesting.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

That must have been fascinating. There are some inventions that you take for granted and never quite realize how incredibly influential and life-changing they can be in unexpected ways. My tutor once gave a talk on how the invention of glass had radicalized the world. It was quite eye-opening.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I had a perfect avocado last night, Piglet. If anything perhaps half a day beyond. I only added a little lemon juice.

Have I ever mentioned that I like food?

Chaos in town today - tomorrow the filling station are all closed for the day and there were huge queues everywhere, some places already out of stock. Crazy stuff, they'll be open again on Monday!

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why are they closed, WW?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The retailers are all having a day out and a bit of a party.

Or

The refineries are all owned & run by the government and the prices are all set by, you've guessed it, the government and the margins allowed to the retailers have not increased since time out of mind, so the retailers have decided to make their mild sense of grievance felt.

Or

The retailers are all greedy communist sympathisers, the government are working pure & simply for the benefit of the people and are, quite rightly, refusing to be browbeaten by the mob.

It really depends on which paper you read.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ta muchly. Interesting how we rarely read any such news about your part of the world in good ole Europe (or anywhere else, I reckon!), except if there's utter moider and mayhem. Thanks for clarifying, Wodders!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, we are only a little, inconsequential place with about 20% of the global population! It is predicted that within a decade or two China & India will have the biggest economies on the planet.

Nothing to report here folks, just move along.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The Economic Tiger still growling then? [Smile]

The Farmers' Market was lovely - Wodders, you'd have been in ecstasy at the cheese counter! We got a nice piece of Wensleydale for D. and some triple-cream Brie for me - that'll be tomorrow's supper sorted out. Over in the veggie stalls, we got some fresh peas in the pod (something we never saw in Newfoundland), a bunch of carrots and lovely fresh corn-cobs (which were supper this evening).

The prices weren't horrendous: the cheese came to about $12, but both pieces were a decent size, and considerably better value than the plastic-wrapped (and plastic-tasting) attempts at British cheese in the supermarket.

I think we'll go again - I wonder if any of the fruit-growers will have damsons when their season comes round? I could feel the manufacture of some damson GIN coming on if they do ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Wensleydale is the traditional cheese to go with Christmas Cake - well, it is if you listen to my Yorkshire friends. I think a nice ripe Stilton goes better but then what do I know, I don't come from Yorkshire.

The Brie sounds fabulous!

I think I'd be there whenever it opened, queueing at the door before the market doors were unlocked!

Went back to Kizhakumpuram for mass for the first time for ages today and even the bishop turned up! How swish is that? He didn't speak [to me, anyway - well, not directly] but he was there. Nice man, makes that Charles Windsor bloke look enormously tall.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went out for lunch yesterday to a Dutch restaurant and had the Indonesian chicken satay, which comes with chips (which come with a little pot of mayonnaise for you to dip them into) and a bit of salad. I can only say it was truly excellent.

The day before I'd been trying a new Japanese place. The tempura prawns were pretty good, and the largest I've seen in a while - about 6" long. The people next to me were having the bento lunchboxes which looked quite substantial. I'll go back again another time and see what the chicken katsu is like.

Travel has been a bit of a nightmare this week what with no trains and then Countryfile doing a four-day show at Blenheim. Three-hour tailbacks and traffic congestion all the way from Blenheim right into Oxford itself. I'd like to have seen the show, but admission price is £28.50 which I could find better uses for.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Wensleydale is the traditional cheese to go with Christmas Cake - well, it is if you listen to my Yorkshire friends. I think a nice ripe Stilton goes better but then what do I know, I don't come from Yorkshire.

Why not compromise and have Blue Wensleydale? Oh I know why, there will be less for me.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Ooh yes, indeed another excellent cheese, but then I find most proper cheese to be worthy of the term, things like tinned processed cheese rather less so.

I am hoping to convince Himself to take me to the Hypermarket tomorrow as I feel a craving coming on; the trouble is that my pensions don't arrive until Tuesday and Wednesday at the earliest.

One wonderful blessing of the ex-pat life is my inability to go into debt - I can't borrow money in UK as I am an ex-pat and I can't borrow money in India as I'm a foreign national. This sometimes causes momentary annoyance but generally I'm very happy with it.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How right you are, WW. It took me years to heave out of a constant overdraft situation, but the relief. As Mr. Micawber said.... about annual income

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Definitely second those feelings. When I bought here after divorce I promised myself that all bills would be paid on time. Such a good feeling. I am not wealthy at all but have sufficient to live and to also have planned charity giving.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... I think I'd be there whenever it opened, queueing at the door before the market doors were unlocked!

Not bleedin' likely - it opens at six in the morning. Fortunately it stays open till one in the afternoon. [Big Grin]

I love the idea of not being able to get into debt, but I can't see it ever happening. In a general way, they're chucking money at you over here in the form of loans and whatnot, except when you actually want it for something sensible (like the bridging loan for a new Château Piglet), and then "the computer says no".

Hmph. [Frown]

We had an e-mail from the St. John's estate agent to say that there have been a few more viewings, but still no bites.

Further hmph. [Frown]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had my first taste of walking in The Fens on Saturday. Set off from Cambridge at 9:30 in the morning and arrived in Ely just after 4pm.

It is as flat as you can imagine, which was in stark contrast to a recent trip the Alps. But there were some nice/unusual animals about. Saw a mouse, a lizard, loads of butterflies, some egrets and a tern.

Then had a tourist fall asleep on my shoulder on the train on the way back. I was very British, by not saying a thing and reading my P.G. Wodehouse book.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Reminded by the above and as aside P G Wodehouse is hugely popular over here. He was a great writer but here it is almost adulation.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Had my first taste of walking in The Fens on Saturday. Set off from Cambridge at 9:30 in the morning and arrived in Ely just after 4pm.

Goodness! Did you go via Brighton? [Eek!]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
quote:

Goodness! Did you go via Brighton? [Eek!]
Sounds to me like he took time to smell the flowers -- and to enjoy the wildlife and scenery. Hopefully he also had a break (or two) for lunch. It sounds absolutely lovely.
[Smile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If he could walk at the speed Tree Bee has in mind, he'd be doing so in Rio de Janeiro rather than Cambridgeshire.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It sounds as if Sipech had a nice, leisurely walk.

We decided to take a little jaunt out of town this afternoon: the intention was to go down to Saint John, which is on the south coast of New Brunswick, and we'd be able to get a fix of the sea.

Unfortunately, D's sense of direction rather let him down, and it suddenly occurred to me that if we carried on indefinitely the way we were going, we'd have (eventually [Big Grin] ) ended up in Vancouver ... [Eek!]

It's strange being on such a large piece of rock.

Oh well, another time.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

It was rather a nice walk. Bit overgrown in places and some ominous signs warning me of the bulls. Thought I did quite well to keep up a pace of over 2.5 miles per hour cross-country for over 6 hours. Take out the stops for drinks and it was probably over 3mph.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Hopefully he also had a break (or two) for lunch.

Blimey, how many lunches do you normally have when you go for a walk?
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello all [Smile]

I'm currently enjoying the summer hols, and have somehow become motivated to give my flat a really good clear out and tidy - I had everything out of the kitchen cupboards today, for example, and did under the sofa/chair yesterday, including mopping the relevant bits of floor. It's a satisfying feeling - it's sort of nice to know that even the bits I can't see are clean!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, Sipech walked (face palm) I thought I must have missed something. As you were....
I've only done that trip by train.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016