homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 40)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just took myself off for a lime and soda in the back garden of a nearby pub. Perfect weather for sitting out - a light breeze, so no need to take off the cardigan just yet.

After nearly a week of being deaf in one ear I'm seeing the GP tonight for the instant cure. Quite fed up with people mumbling, and having to ask them to repeat. On the plus side, traffic is less noisy and children are a bit quieter.

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the bit in Ecclesiastes where the Philosopher describes deafness. "When men rise up at the sound of birds, but all ther songs grow faint."

It's been lovely weather and most of my washing dried yesterday. Tomorrow I'm going out in the garden unless there's some sort of natural disaster.

Cattyish, waiting for Mr C to come downstairs and book holiday stuff.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got a call earlier this evening to say the appointment was off, so I guess I'll live with it for a bit longer. Hearing seems to be coming back intermittently. If it doesn't I'll get in touch after the bank holiday.

Meanwhile, I've just invented a roquefort, basil and pine nut omelette. Works very well with sliced tomatoes on the side.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My washing machine was mended this week, which is just as well as I'm doing laundry duties for Nenlet1, who is on holiday and asked if I could do some that she hadn't managed before she went, and also for a friend whose machine is out of action and is just back from holiday.

What amazes me is when people ask me to "do a load" and they bring what is, in my book, at least three loads' worth. They either have machines with massive drums or pack them much fuller than I dare to.

In other news it is Far Too Hot, and still would be if I were not a Woman of a Certain Age given to regular hot flushes.

Nen - hot in bed and not in a good way.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Ouch!

Something bit/stung me!

Join the club. [Frown] I thought it was just the Fredericton bugs who had it in for me, but I have an entire mountain-range of horrid bites on my legs courtesy of your ghastly little English buggers.

You may recall I asked very politely last week that you might postpone your heatwave until after I'd gone back to Canada - fat chance! According to the forecast in the Telegraph it's been hovering around the 29° mark, which is too bleedin' hot.

Having said that, at least it didn't start until after E. & L.'s wedding, which got a breezy but v. pleasant day, and the whole thing went off very nicely.

We're now at D's mum's, and getting ready to head up to London tomorrow, where he's going to leave me to Stansted to go to Edinburgh and then up to Orkney, where I hope the temperatures will be a bit more civilised. [Big Grin]

Ariel - I think I've found the right ambassadors for your new cheap hotel venture.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No sign of it cooling down here.

Inside the apartment we managed to keep the temperature at 24° by closing all the windows and shutters but it gets problematic at bed time. The air outside is hotter than the air inside. However we don’t want to leave it shut all night because at some point (like about 3 a.m.) it will cool down outside. Eventually we decided to open the windows before going to bed.

The other problem with this is that our apartment overlooks the street on one side. Generally we always leave these shut overnight to keep the noise out and just open the courtyard side ones. Not possible last night and today I am distinctly bleary-eyed. I swear tonight I am putting a bucket of water by the window and the first person who careers down the street with their mates yakking loudly at 2 in the morning is going to be getting a refreshing shower. [Snigger]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An unmissable chance to shout 'Gardy loo!'* as you do so.

After a very warm day yesterday we are in the usual seacoast bite-back of cool and misty. But I see the bit of Italy I am going to in a week's time is scraping 30 C - which is several degrees above my comfort zone. I am cobbling up some very loose frocks.

*'s French, innit?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We finally had our washing machine repaired on Tuesday, and tonight, Darllenwr put another load of washing in to empty the wash basket. He went to take out the dry washing to find that the glass of the door had fractured and a large piece of glass was on top of the washing. Cue a call to the repair centre. They will be coming out on the 6th, which isn't as bad as it sounds, as we are away for a week.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy moley, St. Gwladys! Is this a toploader or a frontloader? In case of the latter.... aaargh! Water spillage all over? [Frown]

A ghastly situation (well, it'd be me, frontloader machine here!). I hope they'll keep their word about prompt mending, and clearly this has to be on warranty! [Eek!]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This week's theatre-going (I finally got paid and could go out) has included:
  • Truth, a translation of Florian Zeller's Verité, which was very clever, playing with the audience and concepts of truth and falsehood: one line from the lead "I want to know what kind of play I am in, a farce or a tragedy" emphasised that. I now want to see the partner piece, which will be translated as The Lie when we get it. The setting was definitely France, the characters were French, but pronounced in English (Paul, Alice, Michel and Laurence) and I suspect the attitudes to affairs was Parisian.
  • Brass - a 2014 specially commissioned musical for the National Youth Music Theatre telling the story of the Leeds Pals regiment in WW1 alongside the Barnbow Lasses, munitions workers. The ending was predictable knowing the history of that period, making it an *interesting* subject for a musical, one later song and dance number at the front jarred slightly. But the whole thing was very professional, particularly considering the ages of the cast (16-23). This is where Sheridan Smith, Jude Law and Idris Elba got their training, so I will be looking out for some of those names in the future.

I also saw Alexei Sayle last night, performing some autobiographical stuff. Great when he was ad-libbing, pretty disastrous when he was following the script. I saw him back in the 80s as part of a Young Ones live tour, so don't think I had unrealistic expectations.

Not being paid meant I didn't get to a whole load of things last weekend, which really didn't impress me any. Neither did I get into work to sort out the hub for the deep clean tomorrow until Friday, which means things will be said next week. Oops. (No money for food or bills, let alone fares.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I've succumbed to a pair of strappy summer sandals with heels in the M&S end of season sale. I haven't worn heels in years and had forgotten what it was like - walking is slower than my normal pace and takes a bit of getting used to. However, I'm really pleased with the look of them, and they haven't raised blisters. [Big Grin]

It keeps on raining here. We had a full-sized thunderstorm yesterday which went on for some time with lightning, quite impressive. Just heavy showers today, which means any outdoor venue will be horribly soggy.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have learned that if ever I find a pair of high heels that are comfortable, it is a Heavenly sign and I should buy them immediately. I have a couple pair that fit perfectly, and that I can wear all day.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finding good shoes is certainly an art. My dilemma is finding something that I think looks nice, that will also stand up to a primary school classroom and playground. Clarks is usually a happy hunting ground!

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday's entertainment was a Pokemon Go guided walk, which was good fun. We did the London Bridge version, fairly academically for me as I have a Windows phone, but in a very mixed group: two young boys with their mothers, the boys and the mothers pairing off, a group of students, including I suspect the mature student on the site, and a few others along for the ride with interested participants.

Today, after dropping my daughter at the station, I wandered off along the BFG Dream Jar trail for a couple of hours (and 22,000 steps).

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Today, after dropping my daughter at the station, I wandered off along the BFG Dream Jar trail for a couple of hours (and 22,000 steps).

You probably passed outside my office. If I stand in the corner of the board room, I can see one of the dream jars.

This weekend has not been the best. A couple of weeks ago, I thought the mice were back after a croissant went missing. Then a hole had been nibbled in a bin liner. I set a mouse trap which then had disappeared by the morning.

Yesterday morning, I saw the creature responsible, after its gnawing at an empty milk bottle woke me up at 5am.

It wasn't a mouse. [Eek!]

Mice aren't 6-8 inches long. [Mad]

Only this rat didn't have a tail, so I think the missing mousetrap must've caught the tail and been dragged off, before detatching the tail somewhere behind my skirting boards or in the garden.

I've ascertained that it likes carrot and have covered a bit of carrot in a caramel syrup (normally reserved for coffee) and armed a mousetrap with it. Have blocked off lots of the entrances with glass bottles to try to funnel it towards the trap.

Let's see how this goes.

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unfortunately a mouse trap might not be strong enough. You can get rat traps. I don't think they're nice.

Cattyish, procrastinating rather too successfully.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most personal internet usage over here is via mobile phone and hotspot and a new big player is entering the market and all the other players are scrambling to cut prices or build attractive new packages. It's fun to watch. The new player is offering 90 days unlimited free Internet, free voice calls and free SMS for just buying the SIM!

I must say I'm tempted.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From the dove nest in the garden, one chick has disappeared, possibly taken by a magpie. The survivor, however, is thriving. It's now shuffling further up the branch; a more stable platform for some pre-flight frantic flapping and stretching.

It's all like having my own private hide. Some people have to travel miles for this sort of bird-watching experience. [Smile]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A [Mad] curse upon magpies and their kith and kin. Evil with wings. As my b-i-l who has a shotgun licence for gamekeeping has put it "Oops, I appear to have shot another fuckin' magpie".

He doesn't swear much, not even for foxes.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's not the sort who'd say, "Good morning, Mr. Magpie, how are your wife and children?" then? [Big Grin]

I'm back after my transatlantic peregrinations, which were (mostly) very good indeed. The bit that wasn't was getting the Permanent Residence thingy sorted out in London last Thursday (when it was about 30°, and felt a bl**dy sight hotter). Their inexplicable jobsworthiness meant that we had to pick the blessed things up between 4 and 5 p.m., which was un fat lot de bon considering I was supposed to be on a flight from Stansted at 6 p.m.

In the end, D. (bless him!) drove me to Peterborough, where I had to stay overnight, as I'd missed the last train, and got the train to Edinburgh in the morning (fine and dandy, but it left us out of pocket by over £200). [Mad]

It was an enjoyable enough train journey though, and I had a v. nice weekend (involving some very good eating out) with my sister visiting Dad in Orkney.

Now we have to really get stuck into house-hunting, and at some point one (or maybe both) of us will need to go back to St. John's for a couple of days to sort out the former Château Piglet ready for the movers ...

I'm feeling zonked just thinking about it. [Snore]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Being out of pocket an extra 17,000 rupees would distress me somewhat more than somewhat as well, Piglet. Roll on you getting your permanent papers.

No magpies here and the treepies, a close relative (of magpies, not me) are nowhere near as much of a problem; in fact I'm rather fond of them.

I have decided I'm in love with my Tablet, it is an excellent piece of kit. It is so versatile and I spend a lot of time using it as an e-reader; I've also loaded the Kindle app but haven't used it yet. My one complaint is that the Bluetooth keyboard I have got occasionally goes a bit bananas but a new keyboard is unlikely to break the bank. Current case and keyboard is bright red but I may go for plain black next time - although shocking pink is one of the available options!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I decided that life is too short to waste it having things in dull colours. Also, I can't see things in black cases so easily in my handbag, so my phone case is now a shocking pink [Biased] . This also stops me accidentally leaving it on a dark-coloured seat and not noticing.
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lime green is my signature colour, and i have a lot in that colour, including my kindle case. My phone is in a brown leather cover that makes it look like an old book. A present from another librarian friend.
The weather seems to be getting less hot here, which is good for helping me sleep.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mobile phone is black, and occasionally I forget and leave it on a black piano at school(after using it to time songs.) Black may be elegant, but it does tend to blend in with...black.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I gave up following "Springwatch" this year because there was so much carnage, only to have it happen one sunny morning in my own garden when the blackbirds' nest was raided by a magpie. Heartbreaking to hear the sounds of distress, followed by the magpie flying away hotly pursued by the parent blackbird. [Waterworks]

On a happier note, I major in pink covers for phone and iPad and tend to stick to pink and purple for clothes as well. That way, everything in the wardrobe matches. [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... shocking pink is one of the available options!

Go for it, Wodders - you know you want to! [Devil]

I tend to wear quite a lot of black*, but usually interspersed with brighter colours, especially turquoise, royal blue or bright red. My mobile is plain black, but as it tends to live in a specific pocket in whichever handbag I happen to be using, it doesn't really get lost.

* I once came back to my m-i-l's after a shopping trip, and told her I'd bought two shirts. "What colour was the other one?" was her reply. [Big Grin]

Domestic Goddess Piglet has been in action today - batch of French sticks done, and chicken stock made. This is just as well, as I may be turning into Trailer Park Trash Piglet; there's a "mini/mobile"** on the market well within our price bracket, which actually looks rather nice, if somewhat narrow ... [Paranoid]

** They are "mobile homes" in a way, but they've been blocked in, and have all mod. cons - this particular one has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a rather smart kitchen with all the necessary appliances. We're hoping to get a look at it next week once everyone's back after the Labour Day holiday.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RE: magpies. Eh. Magpies have to feed their chicks too and it's all assumptions anyway. We're just down one dove. Some birds kill their own runt chicks, but I'm pretty sure these were too big by that point and with no shortage on space or food.

In any case, remaining dove chick seems hale and hearty.

I spotted a nest of swallows at the local farm shop and a pair of goldfinches in Sainsbury's car park. It's been that sort of week.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...I may be turning into Trailer Park Trash Piglet; there's a "mini/mobile"** on the market well within our price bracket, which actually looks rather nice, if somewhat narrow ... [Paranoid]

** They are "mobile homes" in a way, but they've been blocked in, and have all mod. cons - this particular one has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a rather smart kitchen with all the necessary appliances. We're hoping to get a look at it next week once everyone's back after the Labour Day holiday.

It's called "Pig Sty" but looks stylish if a trifle bijou.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks cosy Sioni

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... a trifle bijou.

Bijou! That's the word I was looking for! [Big Grin]

We're going to have to go back to Newfoundland for a couple of days, probably late next week, to pack stuff up at the former Château Piglet ready for the movers - the closing date for the sale is 12th September, which is alarmingly imminent.

There may have to be some de-clutterment - it looks as if the next Château Piglet is going to be considerably smaller than the last one. [Eek!]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

Might be a bit dark in there. I'm just guessing, based on it not having any visible windows.

Lovely morning so far, lots of sunlight (hard to believe this is September already). I was thinking of going to the Moreton in Marsh Show today, but they're expecting huge numbers of people and I've previously experienced what it is to be stuck in a traffic jam in Moreton. There is a train but it takes ages...

Decisions, decisions.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

The weather looks glorious outside here too, and I'm hoping that doesn't follow the "sun before seven, rain by eleven" UK weather lore.

My plans include the London Folk Festival at Cecil Sharp House. The programme includes events in the garden, which sounds bliss in this weather. Especially as I've spent the last few days inside, either being trained or leading training.

Yesterday I apologised, in person, for not attending the evening event because I had to go back to one of our bases to finish clearing up for the crew coming in to film it for a virtual tour on Monday. The administrator did not have time to finish before she had to pick up her daughter from the childminder. I was shouted at by the CEO. He did say, as he came to tell the team that he was unhappy that we were not attending, that he'd had an inappropriate go at me. I know it was really aimed at the rest of team who were also making their apologies, for different reasons, but ... It didn't make me at all happy working to 10:45pm and dealing with the cleaner and maintenance guys, who all left hours before I did.

Funnily enough, another plan for the weekend is to update my CV and start applying for jobs properly.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:

Thatched, though. Dust and spiders. [Eek!]

Overcast here. We're out later to a friend's house where a crowd is invited and I've been asked to bring "a dish to share." Any ideas from shipmates are welcome as I'm feeling totally uninspired. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - gastronomically challenged and not good at cooking either.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just bring a big, empty dish? After all, a dish is just a dish. [Big Grin]

Seriously though: may inspiration arrive in due time, and a good time be had by all!

[ 03. September 2016, 10:23: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck with all the hosue stuff Piglet. CK - it sounds like getting your CV updated is a priority. Being shouted at for any reason is not good.
We're off to a wedding. I've changed three times, as I can't decide what to wear. It's a Quaker one, so posh frock and big hat are not the order of the day. I've settled for linen trousers, a nice blouse and a bright green jacket.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The inevitable has happened, as we all knew it would - you all probably knew it, too.

I was holding boy-baby and he was having a squall, then he went quiet and looked up at me...

...and peed all over me!

I've said I'll see him again when he is 12.

All those clothes were about to go in the wash anyway so I suppose it is no big deal...

...but what about the affront to my dignity?!?!

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:

I very nearly did do that with a similar invitation recently where the request was to "bring a plate" as I wasn't clear whether they wanted a contribution to the food or were simply short of crockery. [Smile]

However, "a dish to share" makes it pretty clear that food in the dish is required. I will shortly sally forth in the rain to see if the shops provide inspiration.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
...I've settled for linen trousers, a nice blouse and a bright green jacket.

Mmmmm, Royal Blue Trousers, Bright Orange Blouse and a Bright Green Jacket - sounds fab!

Knowing some of the weird and wacky stuff some Friends wear you could almost go in your birthday suit!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to babyhood Wodders. Surprised he hasn't done it before, actually. Be glad he didn't poop on you.

Are the parents still laughing?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
...I was shouted at by the CEO. He did say, as he came to tell the team that he was unhappy that we were not attending, that he'd had an inappropriate go at me...

If he knew it was inappropriate why did he do it?

Answer: To make himself feel better.

No Excuse!

I hope you told him, in no uncertain terms, that he is never to do it again.

Once upon a time [1971 or 2] my then boss, in a children's home, shouted at me in front of the kids [big, strapping adolescent boys] and I asked to see him in the office and told him he would never do that again.

He didn't.

I was amazed by my own audacity.

[Apologies to my fellow Hosts for multiple posting]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
...Are the parents still laughing?

Himself is at a meeting but Herself and the lady wot comes in and does have had a giggle at my expense - and I have had an unplanned extra shower.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
The inevitable has happened, as we all knew it would - you all probably knew it, too. [...]

And me thinking: WW's now bought the shocking pink tablet case and keyboard he was talking about earlier! I am ever so slightly disappointed. [Two face]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
...but what about the affront to my dignity?!?!

This is the perfect incident to embarrass him with when he is older. Keep it filed for future reference.
[Devil]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
quote:
The inevitable has happened, as we all knew it would - you all probably knew it, too. [...]

And me thinking: WW's now bought the shocking pink tablet case and keyboard he was talking about earlier! I am ever so slightly disappointed. [Two face]
No, but I have ordered the folding Bluetooth Keyboard, which should be delivered in the next week. It's not one of those roll-up rubber ones that are so horrible to use but ABS plastic and properly foldable to fit in a pocket!

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

That's great, Wodders! [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was thinking exactly what you were, Wesley - the baby-peeing episode was a complete curve-ball. [Killing me]

Another lovely day here - the weather seems to be settling down into rather more manageable temperatures*, and it was very enjoyable wandering round the outdoor stalls at the farmers' market. I came back with half-a-dozen corn-cobs, four of which we had for lunch - they were huge, and we really couldn't manage three each - [Hot and Hormonal] , a red pepper, carrots, eggs, Wensleydale and triple-cream Brie and a pot of New Brunswick Chutney, which is made by a lovely English lady at a farm a few miles from Fredericton.

When I asked her what was in it, she reeled off a few ingredients, and I said, "that sounds like the plum chutney I made last year, to a recipe from the old Delia Smith books". "Yup, that's the one" was the reply. Very nice it was too, with some of the cheese and a few chunks of my home-made bread.

* manageable, that is, to the lesser hyperborean piglet [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Talking of food, such a rare occurrence on this thread, Himself and I did a dash to the supermarket this morning and he was saying afterwards that the tomatoes were Rs 9 per kilo - say 10 pence! Is that good or what?

I think the cucumbers were less than that.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

WW said
quote:
Knowing some of the weird and wacky stuff some Friends wear you could almost go in your birthday suit!
Not too much of the wild and wacky though there were some rather lovely hippy style frocks and and an amazing flowery shirt. it took me a while to recognise the F/friend who was wearing it, I was so dazzled by the design. A lovely wedding, people who not been to Quaker weddings before were impressed by the proceedings.
It's part two of the celebrations today, a party in their local village hall, so we're off to that in a bit. I think it will be bright green trousers today....

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

I very nearly did do that with a similar invitation recently where the request was to "bring a plate" as I wasn't clear whether they wanted a contribution to the food or were simply short of crockery. [Smile]

However, "a dish to share" makes it pretty clear that food in the dish is required. I will shortly sally forth in the rain to see if the shops provide inspiration.

If you've got a bag of lentils and some curry spices then some form of dahl is quick and simple to make. I made curried lentil pasties last night and the filling took about 30 minutes, including 25 minutes cooking.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did any of our other London based people see the fire garden which they had outside the tate modern as part of the 350 anniversary of the great fire commemoration ? It was really good, so much so in fact that I was very surprised that they got permission for it in these risk averse days. One of the things was a burning fountain, where the water coming out of the fountain contained a dollop of something inflammable and was burning. I have never seen anything like that before.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016