homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 41)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I knew the Great Fire stuff was on, but I'd already booked and paid to go somewhere else in north London. I didn't get to hear about it early enough - there was lots on my Twitter feed a few days before, but too little too late as far as I was concerned.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... the weather seems to be settling down into rather more manageable temperatures ...

... or, perhaps, not. (scroll down a bit for the next few days' forecast)

30°? [Eek!] We all know about Back-to-school Heatwave Syndrome, but this is ridiculous.

Maybe Wednesday would be a good day to go back to the Rock and sort our stuff chez Piglet ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I knew the Great Fire stuff was on...

I wasn't able to nip to London either but foolishly thought to myself, "Woohoo! It's being streamed online so I can watch it live from the comfort of my own armchair."
Pffft!
Cue clear and exciting image of large, interesting artistic representation of a mediaeval city of London burning, a stirring and imaginative way to mark the anniversary of the Great Fire. Not.

[Reality Check] Cue vague image of large, interesting artistic representation of a mediaeval city of London burning, viewed through a couple of gaps in the set on which sat a presenter and some historian. The set and the people almost totally obscured the view of the fire when there was a view of the fire; for well over half the programme, though, the camera focused on full-screen shots of the presenter's face or the guest's face, or broader higher shots that showed both their faces and some sky.

Had I gone there in person and had such a poor view of proceedings, I'd have been disappointed but understanding. Watching the live stream left me just disappointed. Producing and streaming the programme must have cost the Corporation a great deal of money; it was a dead waste of a shilling.
[Frown]

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I knew the Great Fire stuff was on, but I'd already booked and paid to go somewhere else in north London. I didn't get to hear about it early enough - there was lots on my Twitter feed a few days before, but too little too late as far as I was concerned.

I read about it for the first time in the Metro on its last day, when there was no chance of being there. I'd have liked to see the fire garden at the Tate and am sorry I missed that.

(Not sure why they want to celebrate a disaster really but there you go.)

They did show the burning replica of London on a boat on television, but it wasn't half as interesting as I'd hoped. The model at the Museum of London that they've had for donkey's years is much more atmospheric.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We took a wee jaunt out of town this afternoon (it was yet another lovely day) and en route drove through the neighbourhood where there are a few mini-mobile houses for sale that would be, we think, ideal candidates for the next Château Piglet.

They're on the south side of the river, which would be good, as most of the places I'm likely to be looking for work are as well, and the main bridge is apparently a pain during rush-hour.

I've sent a message to the estate agent asking her to arrange for some viewing in the next day or two. Crossing fingers, toes, eyes, etc. that the one we really like the look of hasn't been sold already ... [Help]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An interesting price war now developing over bandwidth with the state owned player* wading in with 300 GB of 3G data for under 3 quid - okay, it is only 3G so is not as instant but 1p per GB is a great price! But then 300 GB would last me quite a while - years probably!

Well, at current usage of about 1 GB per week that is nearly 6 years.

I think now is the time to sit back to watch companies compete, fold and consolidate.

*State owned and highly successful - has so far steered clear of 4G but their 3G service is both efficient and has full national coverage.

Apart from my early morning walk and a little shopping later, combined with some house to house visitation to invite neighbours to the twins naming event on Thursday I didn't do much other than read yesterday, I finally closed the tab down at the end of the story at nearly midnight!

Very late for me.

In the visitations it was interesting to watch local practice - invitations are generally issued sitting down, unless we knew the people very well. Entry to houses, however well we knew people, has to be through the front door even if the back door is closer and more convenient - meet someone in their garden and near the back door and they go through the house to the front door whilst we walk all the way around the house to the front door, now open, go in and sit down to issue verbal invite then stand up and head off.

We also managed to surprise and embarrass the early teenage son of a friend who was showering al fresco, poor lad! Sorry Ashik, we didn't do it on purpose. The boy's grandmother thought it hilarious.

Today I must do more with my time but first - breakfast!

[ 06. September 2016, 03:33: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Today I must do more with my time but first - breakfast!

First things first! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bright, sunny and cool today.

My new pup arrives tomorrow - not a baby, but lovely 10 month old Bruce, a huge Golden Retriever, who will be with me for a couple of months.

I still teach art one afternoon a week - today's the first day of term. Not looking forward to it much tbh.

I am now also coaching adults with ADHD for the NHS once a week on Fridays. We are a small team of two psychiatrists, two nurses and three coaches. Very enjoyable, fulfilling work.

But I'm trying to be retired!!

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've had a completely lazy day today (apart from doing a load of laundry, which doesn't really count).

It's become very hot and sticky (it was 27° but feeling like 36 this afternoon [Eek!] ), so the more time I spend in places with air-con, the better.

I'm currently waiting for the bread-machine to do its thing for a batch of French sticks, and hoping that something will come of the viewings our nice estate agent is arranging for us for tomorrow (nothing happened today, possibly because of people just being back after the long weekend).

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're far away in New York and it's marvellous. Two issues; the food portions are bigger than I realised and it's all too tempting to eat the whole lot every time, and it's feeling pretty hot so I'm swelling up and had to remove my wedding ring. Other than that everything is very straightforward. I think I'm getting the hang of tipping.

Cattyish, if I can <jazz hands> make it here I'll hae an <jazz hands> other beer...

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... hoping that something will come of the viewings our nice estate agent is arranging for us ...

Eureka!!! [Yipee]

We saw several mini/mobile houses today, and all of them were nice in their way, but the last one (which was really the one that I'd set my heart on) was Just Right, with a view to die for, and so cleverly designed that you really don't notice that it's rather "compact and bijou". There should even be room for all the bears - we're thinking of making one of the bedrooms into an "ursularium", which is presumably the name for a place where you keep small bears. [Smile]

We went straight back to the estate agent's, put in an offer and ...

Hallelujah!

... it's been accepted. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

D's heading over to St. John's tomorrow to pack up the stuff in the former Château Piglet; the sale of that closes on Monday, and then we've got a few weeks before the closing date for the new one.

Did I mention [Yipee] ?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Piglet. Hope the bears settle in easily.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been following your trials in the real Estate world, Piglet, even though I haven't posted, but I must say I am so pleased you have found somewhere nice. You will post photos, won't you?

Will a bijou Chateau be a "Chateaulette"?

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news Piglet - great to get settled (or nearly) in your new location.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Piglet!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Marvellous news Piglet. A room for the Bears!! A photo will be required!

[Yipee] [Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Piglet. Here's to your new residence.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent news, Piglet! I hope you and D (and the bears) are very happy in your new pad!

It's a soggy day here in the Central Belt, however the forecast is for sun here on Saturday. I am going to a colleague's wedding, so I hope they've got that right.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our babies have names!

Today they are 54 days old but the swami decided this was the day so we did it; it was wonderfully chaotic but it happened. I was chatting to a young Muslim neighbour (he is 23) and he'd never been to a Hindu naming ceremony before and was quite impressed.

Anyway the first-born, the boy, was named Manu and the girl is Mritula, which is pronounced closer to Mridula, but you get the idea.

Much merriment ensued and vast amounts of food were consumed.

Yum yum.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Manu and Mritula. Uncle can't wait to give you a snuggle. [Yipee]

[ 08. September 2016, 18:24: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks like [Axe murder] all over [Big Grin]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Piglet, if your new abode is too small for a château it could be a gentilhommičre !

We used to see them in the Loire when we holidayed there - like a château's younger brother - and the word may be translated as a residence for gentlefolk. I rest my case.

Mrs. S, happy to help! [Angel]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is excellent news, Piglet. I like the idea of an ursularium.

Also excellent is the naming of the babies. Welcome, officially, to Manu and Mritula.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Names for the babies after 54 days passing! How can it be that long. Congratulations to them and their parents and all others celebrating their arrival.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome aboard to Manu and Mritula! [Yipee]

Thanks for all your good wishes. [Smile]

I suspect that the term "château" is pushing it for the new house (mind you, it was pushing it for the old one as well). [Big Grin]

I'm getting quite excited: beginning to plan where things are going to go, and what things are going to be consigned to the dustbin of history. There will have to be some de-clutterment, but with any luck we should find somewhere for everything that we want to keep.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely names for the twins WW. I can't believe they are that old already. I found it difficult enough to find a name for one baby let alone two at the same time.

Hope the downsizing goes OK Piglet. My main trouble wasn't bears it was books. Still probably got too many for the size of our house, but get rid of the other half was hard enough.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I have a pup - Bruce is back till he goes to school in about two months time. These days I feel lost without a pup to train!

(see my 'Room' blog for photos of him, he's gorgeous!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Piglet, you and your hubby have surname beginning with D you could just call it:

Chez D

and rejoice in being Shady characters!

I quite like the new names for the twins though when written formally as initials, in the Roman alphabet, they both become MMM as Himself's name begins with M as does the place - names within their community are expressed as Name-Place-Patronym.

We just trust that 3M won't sue!

I got a new keyboard today to use with this Tablet - it is a folding Bluetooth keyboard and is very nice, now I have to learn to keep my hands on the right keys! I am self taught as a keyboardist using my mum's old Royal portable when I was ill as a child and my style is not quite conventional.

[Roll Eyes]

I did consider one of those roll-up rubber keyboards but I saw one in a shop and it just felt horrible.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I have a pup

That's excellent news, Boogie. He already seems to be good friends with Tatze.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I suspect that the term "château" is pushing it for the new house (mind you, it was pushing it for the old one as well). [Big Grin]

I have always referred to my flat in Glasgow (1 bedroom tenement flat) as The Stately Pile.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And don't forget our dear Smudgie (PBUH) has always had delusions of grandeur about her residences. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
I have a pup - Bruce is back till he goes to school in about two months time. These days I feel lost without a pup to train!

He seems to have accepted the fact that rugs are not for the likes of him.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
quote:

He seems to have accepted the fact that rugs are not for the likes of him.
Haha, well spotted!

(he'll survive, he carries his own furry rug!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Our babies have names!

Today they are 54 days old but the swami decided this was the day so we did it; it was wonderfully chaotic but it happened. I was chatting to a young Muslim neighbour (he is 23) and he'd never been to a Hindu naming ceremony before and was quite impressed.

Anyway the first-born, the boy, was named Manu and the girl is Mritula, which is pronounced closer to Mridula, but you get the idea.

Much merriment ensued and vast amounts of food were consumed.

Yum yum.

Such lovely names - and fitting initials for such a foodie home - mmm mmm.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Am in Birmingham for a couple of days for a work thing, but also to have a mooch around. I decided to go to the Art Gallery & Museum. There was a small group outside: one, a body builder, stripped to the waist and posing, muscle man style, another taking pictures. I'm guessing (and hoping) it was for a magazine and not a Facebook profile picture or some such.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D's back after packing up the former Château Piglet - he said it was really rather sad seeing it emptied out. [Frown]

A bit of drama as he missed the flight coming back - there had been an accident on the road out to the airport and he got stuck in the ensuing traffic jam; of course, he hadn't made arrangements for his absence on Sunday (the whole point of going when he did was not to miss a Sunday), so there was mild panic, but it all got sorted in the end, and he got back safely this afternoon.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I have always had a fondness for September, probably ever since it ceased to signal the return to school,* which for me is getting on half a century ago! September weather and September days were always a delight and this has continued here in Kerala. September is a time of cooler and mostly dry weather between the two monsoons - blue skies, fluffy clouds, temperatures in the mid-twenties; it is all delightful.

*I was probably typical of my generation as I quietly welcomed the new school year but rarely said so out loud as that wasn't quite the done thing.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside…

My former colleagues gave me a smartbox for a leaving present which paid for hotel and dinner somewhere of my choice. This weekend we headed to La Baule, a resort on the Atlantic coast (Brittany, but the underneath side where the sea is the ocean).

It is a muchly nice place, and we are very excited about the fact that there is a direct train from Paris which arrives less than a kilometre from the beach. It has sand, but also lots of pine trees and greenery on account of it being Brittany where it rains all the time. It is definitely being added to our list of places to go to get out of Paris. On Sunday morning I sat on the balcony of my room and watched a woodpecker a couple of metres away tapping away at a pine tree.

We discovered that there was also a brass band festival this weekend, so there was even an actual proper seaside brass band going tiddly om pom pom [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Waves to Archnidinelmet.

Welcome to Brum! Hope you enjoy the mooching between the work stuff.

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
Waves to Archnidinelmet.

Welcome to Brum! Hope you enjoy the mooching between the work stuff.

Hi Japes,

yes mooching was done. Tomorrow is all work, so today was all leisure. I'd hoped to go to the Botanical Gardens, but when I got out the sky looked grey and horrible. I passed many and varying old buildings and sculptures, sat and read by the canal and ended up in the secret garden at the central library.

Before going back to the hotel and meeting my colleagues for food, I sat in Centenary Square doing the crossword, listening to a busker. He'd clearly written his own songs, including one about organic beans and another about the sculpture known locally as 'Sharon in the shrubs', formally the 'Floozy in the Jacuzzi'. The folk version of 'Old MacDonald' was a little unexpected.

A big thumbs up for Brum [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Has Birmingham got a Floozy in the Jacuzzi too?

There's a celebrated sculpture in O'Connell Street in Dublin that's usually referred to as either the Floozy in the Jacuzzi or the Whore* in the Sewer. Then of course there's the statue of Molly Malone in Grafton Street, known as the Tart with the Cart, and a rather, um, interesting abstract creation by the river known as the Stiffy by the Liffey.
[Killing me]

The weather here seems to have moderated somewhat: it was actually cold last night (it was 7° overnight). So, as our stuff is still in transit, we went and bought a quilt today.

Tomorrow's forecast: 27°. That'll be Murphy's Law at work ... [Roll Eyes]

* they tend to pronounce it "who-er", so it rhymes.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

LVER, I recently read a book that alludes to the Breton movement for independence from France - the story is based in 1939/40 so I don't know if it is still going on but it quite intrigued me - is Breton still widely spoken over there?

On the few occasions I have been in Birmingham over the years I have been pleasantly surprised by the city centre; nice city.

Up early this morning for a dawn walk and now heading back to bed! It is school holidays this week, tomorrow is a major state feast and yesterday was a major Muslim feast, so I'm hoping the kids will all be quiet for the next couple of hours so this poor, elderly ex-pat can doze uninterrupted.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Glad you had a nice day.

Birmingham had a Floozie in the Jacuzzi... but, this explains why she's currently (and, as far as I can gather, likely to remain) Sharon in the Shrubs.

I do still meet local friends "at the Floozie" if we're meeting up in the city centre, because we know what and where we're talking about! I didn't quite intend to settle in Birmingham when I had a bit of a major life change, but I do like it here and it's a great place to be for me in many ways.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Birmingham is one of my favourite cities - got a lot going for it. The centre seems to be full of water features of one kind or another - lots of canals and fountains and even a sealife centre. I think my favourite is the Brindley Place water jets. You think they've died then they suddenly rise up and splash you.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

A bloomin' wasp stung me yesterday, our house has been full of them.

I took antihistamines but the red patch spread to my wrist, neck and and cheek, it felt like the wasp was still stinging me all day! I took myself to the hospital and they gave me an injection and antibiotics to prevent cellulitis, all is subsiding and I will go to work as usual this afternoon - I still can't bend my arm properly!

I didn't used to be scared of wasps - I will be in future!!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Birmingham is one of my favourite cities - got a lot going for it. The centre seems to be full of water features of one kind or another - lots of canals and fountains and even a sealife centre. I think my favourite is the Brindley Place water jets. You think they've died then they suddenly rise up and splash you.

Yes it is. I lived there for eight years, visitors were always surprised how full of trees it is.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, this is one of the things I like about Oxford as well – you’re never far from a green space or a river, and there’s even a field with antique cattle in the city centre. This sort of thing was what swung it for me in deciding to turn down a job in one part of the City of London: nothing but grey, gritty streets, nothing natural anywhere, no way of even telling what season it was apart from temperature.

Sorry about the wasps, they are really a pain (literally). Hope it abates quickly and you find some relief.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We don't know how lucky we are in Britain. So many towns and cities have parks, nay arboretums, close to the centre. Even in somewhat down-at-heel Newport we have Bellevue Park by the hospital and Beechwood Park (about 200 yards walk from home. both have cafes and a fine collection of trees. It's a surprisingly green city. Tredegar Park is a couple of miles out of town (by my office) and is massive, with a huge 17th century house at its heart.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The last time I was stung by a wasp, on my right ankle, a few weeks later my left leg started giving problems, which I didn't connect with the previous event and was surprised when the doctor asked me if I'd been stung recently - anyway whatever he gave me cured it. Wasps are a nuisance but, happily, are rare here.

On other medical matters:

When I had a potential ulcer scare 30+ years ago it was a Barium meal and X-rays - nowadays it was all done by ultrasound when Himself went this morning - luckily is it is only a slightly enlarged fatty liver and some minor incipient renal calculus. We had the renal calculus bit back in 1998 and we don't want it again. Change of diet and some enormous tablets should see it all off, with luck.

The 2 year old son of some neighbours comes often to see the twins and today he wanted to take one of them home with him. Happily his dad managed to dissuade him.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016