homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 43)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Timmy's is brewed with saltpetre. It is seriously addictive and much better than the burnt brewed overly expensive coy faux Italian coffee which begins with an S and whose doors I don't darken.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if they'll keep things the same or adapt them to "local tastes".
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Timmy's is brewed with saltpetre.

Really??? [Eek!]
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
It is seriously addictive ...

It certainly is. [Hot and Hormonal]

I understand there's been a branch of Timmy's in Belfast for some time; a friend of ours who lives down the road from it says it's usually inhabited by members of the Belfast Giants ice-hockey team (most of whom are Canadian), clutching their double-doubles with tears in their eyes.

I had really quite a busy day yesterday, which I tried to post about last night but the computer connection was playing silly-b*ggers.

AM: did laundry, baked batch of French sticks, made lunch

PM: Cleared up lunch, then we took a wee jaunt to a village called Gagetown, which was rather pretty and had a couple of restaurants which will need to be investigated. [Smile]

Things I'm looking forward to about the new house:

Having a dishwasher again

Not having to go up and down four flights of stairs (three times) to get the laundry done

Having a dishwasher

Having more than two square feet of counter-space in the kitchen.

Did I mention a dishwasher? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, I envy you the dishwasher, having used one for more years than I care to count.

When I bought here, I was told everything was in place for one. I bought washing machine and fridge and ordered dishwasher , all to arrive on moving day. Dishwasher was out of stock. Then I found there was nothing ready for installation and that I would be losing a cupboard, one of the few I could reach easily. Like Piglet, I am vertically challenged and there are too many cupboards pretty well out of reach.

There is just one person here, but most evenings it is a struggle to clean up after dinner. Not much really but I am so used to a dishwasher.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did you know that saltpetre is sometimes used to inhibit sexual function in men?

I'm not sure how true that is but I read it somewhere and just thought I'd share it with you all.

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Did you know that saltpetre is sometimes used to inhibit sexual function in men?

I'm not sure how true that is but I read it somewhere and just thought I'd share it with you all.

[Two face]

Wasn't it supposedly added to the food in boys' schools, prisons, and army camps?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear God YYEEAAAGGHH!!!

Forgive me. Carry on.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd heard of bromide in the tea, but not saltpetre.

We're multitudinously p*ssed off today, as the sale of the former Château Piglet should have finally gone through but the ******* buyer has asked for a further extension.

Stuff that for a lark. [Mad]

We're just about to go to the Verger's house for dinner; he's originally from Alabama and has the most wonderful southern accent, and I should be very surprised if he isn't a pretty damn good cook too.

Will report back tomorrow. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect that those asterisks do not stand for "blessed" (nor any cognates thereof). How infuriating for you - I hope you enjoyed your meal anyway.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just come back from an 'International' Bring & share at church and can say I've eaten well. We took Belgian prawn-stuffed tomatoes and Mauritian mini sweet potato and coconut pasties. Others had brought Kashmiri rice, Russian honey cake and lots of 'French' bread. The kids enjoyed colouring in flags and beating each other up with breadsticks.

A good time was had by all.

Thought it was worth mentioning even though I know how everyone on this thread hates talking about food [Big Grin]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pain about the buyer who isn't piglet.

That food sounds fun, Arachnidinelmet.

I'm just back from seeing Two Gentlemen from Verona at the Sam Wanamaker Theatre; well, the first half. I abandoned it at the interval, others went earlier. The whole joy of the Sam Wanamaker is that it is a tiny candlelit, acoustic, gilded jewel box of a theatre. Not tonight it wasn't. This touring production had electric guitars and miked up singing which was painfully loud, a sixties vibe and staging consisting of a frame of bright primary colours that clashed with the gilded wood panelling it mostly hid. It would have been fine in the larger outside space of the main Globe stage, but in the Sam Wanamaker it was just unpleasantly loud and brash.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So anyway Himself ended up having an endoscopy the other day and they detected a small hiatus hernia and also took a little biopsy of the liver - all good fun. He said he didn't enjoy the endoscopy at all, no surprises there then. He has been told to avoid spicy food but how do you do that in Kerala?

Biopsy results next Thursday.

Meanwhile boy twin has turned into an eating machine! His two hobbies are eating and sleeping - but they are a pair of sweeties.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got back yesterday evening from a few days in Lavenham. It's over 30 years since I've been there and it's even more lovely than I remember. I know it's had its ups and downs since the bottom fell out of the wool market in the 16th century but it's up at the moment. And the weather was gorgeous too!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Got back yesterday evening from a few days in Lavenham. It's over 30 years since I've been there and it's even more lovely than I remember. I know it's had its ups and downs since the bottom fell out of the wool market in the 16th century but it's up at the moment. And the weather was gorgeous too!

M.

I hope it hasn't been "done up" too much! A lot of the charm was that while vital restoration work was done it wasn't overdone so as to create a pastiche.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

Did you eat - or even stay - at The Great House?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, I don't think so. And it is still a proper livable village (ha! Our room overlooked the high street, and I can confirm that the Co-Op and the butcher's get their deliveries between 4 and 5.30 in the morning).

M.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

It has an excellent butcher's, too! And a good chemist's - with the Post Office tucked into one corner.

The Great House is in the square, close to the Guildhall, rather than on the High Street (and next to the charming "Little Hall" which can also be visited).

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... His two hobbies are eating and sleeping ...

Sounds like a man after mine own heart. [Smile]

Lavenham is lovely - all those beautiful crooked buildings that look as if they're about to tip over!

We had an excellent evening on Friday - good Southern cooking (I think) - it included a lovely puree of sweet potatoes with spices and pecan nuts, which I shouldn't have liked but did.

Yesterday, we took another of our little jaunts (getting to know the surrounding countryside, that sort of thing) and went down to Saint John, which is on the south coast. It's much bigger than Fredericton, and not quite as pretty, but impressive in its own way. If anything, we were even more spoilt for choice for eateries than we are in Fredericton, and we plumped for a place called the East Coast Bistro, which was very excellent indeed. We shared a lovely salad of beetroot, Quebecoise blue cheese, pecans and apples to start with, then D. had a burger (not something he has often, but v. good) and I had lovely duck. We didn't mean to have puddings, but there was a creme brûlée ... [Hot and Hormonal]

At the moment, I'm messing about on here while he plays for the second service (it has the praise band but not the choir), and as there's a couple of our friends from St. John's over, we're all going out for lunch.

More eating out ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, if we're talking about food, in the past eight days I've had a Japanese lunch, a Spanish lunch, a pub lunch al fresco, a lobster and chips lunch, a Chinese duck pancakes dinner, and today for the first time in years I dug out the Indian recipes and made what's described as "cumin-scented chicken curry" in spiced yogurt and tomato sauce, and potato and mushrooms with tomatoes.

I blame Wod for the curries. I think he might have made a passing reference to something edible at some point which set me thinking.

Any good Indian cook would wince at the way I demonstrated quite how out of practice I am, but it's still quite edible and what's left will do nicely for a packed lunch or reheatable dinner.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm currently playing with gluten free recipes - a gluten intolerant friend is coming to stay. Many of these recipes contain cornflour, which she also can't take, any more than she can tolerate rye, maize, or any of the wheat/corn/barley families. It's quite interesting to play with the rice/tapioca/potato flour mix which seems to be the standard basis of baked goods. Managed an edible loaf and some scones. Moving on to - cake.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
...I blame Wod for the curries. I think he might have made a passing reference to something edible at some point which set me thinking...

Throughout my childhood and then when living with a partner or two I came to realise that most things are actually my fault so I gladly accept responsibility but have to say that the potato and mushroom dish sounds particularly lovely.

...but did I ever actually mention food in a post?

[Eek!]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cooking (in a Youth Hostel kitchen) over the weekend for my gluten/dairy/nut & seed/shellfish allergic daughter, which means the ingredients you can carry in and limited equipment, I made an asparagus and ham rice mix (made creamy by adding an egg just before serving) for supper and potato latkes (made without flour) topped with ham and an egg for breakfast. Potato latkes as in a grated potato and some shredded spring onions, wrung out and bound together by an egg.

The nicest gluten free cake I've made is a Nigella Lawson chocolate and chestnut cake. (My daughter can eat some nuts, chestnuts, peanuts and coconut but is allergic to most others and quite a few seeds. She is spectacularly allergic to pistachio nuts, not helped by a former boss who thought it was funny eating them at her desk and watching her start wheezing when she came back to sit down. That's one of the reasons she carries an epipen).

We explored Richmond, Yorkshire until the gusts blowing the smell of the seafood stall in the market started triggering my daughter's allergies (she's now carrying epipens), travelled on the hair-raising Little White Bus from Richmond to Keld and stayed overnight at the hostel at Grinton Lodge. On Sunday we travelled on the last Dalesman Bus of the season from Grinton to Ribblehead and explored the Viaduct before travelling on the Settle and Carlisle railway to Leeds and home.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Throughout my childhood and then when living with a partner or two I came to realise that most things are actually my fault so I gladly accept responsibility but have to say that the potato and mushroom dish sounds particularly lovely.

...but did I ever actually mention food in a post?

[Eek!]

Of course not, I must have been confusing you with someone else as I don't believe you have ever mentioned food.

It's a Madhur Jaffrey recipe which would have been really good had I paid a bit more attention to it. It involves a garlic/ginger paste, the usual spices and a dollop of what in Europe would probably be passata.

This is the one where I realized just too late that I didn't have the cumin seeds, only the ground version, and in the nick of time that I'd just dumped in an entire teaspoon of chilli powder under the impression that I'd picked up the coriander jar, which I didn't actually have any more. Luckily it was possible to scoop most of it out.

If yogurt sauces curdle, by the way, a little cornflour can sometimes help.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Did it take you that long? Having 2 older sisters, they taking jointly the role of Big Sister, I came to that conclusion very early, probably one of the earliest moral decisions I reached. It did not affect the penalty, nor the result of the next attribution of guilt, but at least the trial itself was briefer.

Of course I am still to blame, but I am now able to say that not only that they are my sisters, but are both quite a bit older than I.

Of course, I'm now

[ 26. September 2016, 08:15: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Right. I'm flamin' freezing. Have four layers on, a hood up and am Still cold!

Winter clothes are coming out of their suitcases and the strappy tops, shorts and skimpy dresses are going back in.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last Saturday in Cardiff, it was in the mid 20's and brilliantly sunny. Today, 20 miles up the valley, it's been tamping down and about 10 degrees. Darllenwr has actually put the heating on.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... a former boss who thought it was funny eating [pistachio nuts] at her desk and watching her start wheezing when she came back to sit down ...

Seriously???? [Mad]

I hope your daughter reported him/her - what an utter scumbag.

We still seem to be having really nice weather; it's cooled down a good bit from the scary temperatures we were getting when we arrived here first (it topped at 16° today, and was beautifully sunny).

I'm hoping that it'll stay more-or-less like that, as the clothes I brought with me are definitely in the "summer" category, and my warm clothes are all in storage until we move house.

I don't want to have to buy a coat - I have plenty, just not here. [Eek!]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you have to buy a coat could you look first in the op shops or whatever they ae knonas? Probably fairly cheap and hen your arrives yo coul donate it to the shop

My sister works like that in her trips around Australia. SHe buys second hand paperbacks in one town for 30-50 cents each, reads them, then donates them in next town and makes a new choice. Sometimes the book is a dud, but often it is quite good. For under $2 she gets books for several nights.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Fair point - there's a branch of what we refer to as General Booth's Boutique* just down the road from where we're staying at the moment, and if I need to I'll maybe give them a look.

Having said that, I quite fancy a new raincoat, and if I see one in an ordinary shop that doesn't cost the earth, I might go for it anyway.

Spent the afternoon baking French sticks for the Cathedral's "drop-in" spaghetti supper this evening (it's a freebie they offer for 18-25-year-olds of any religion or none). There was nobody there when we left them in to the kitchen so we left them under a dish-towel with a note saying they were from me, but as I haven't really got to know anyone except the choir, they may be thinking, "who the heck is Piglet?"

* the Salvation Army thrift shop [Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D. dropped in to the hall when they were clearing up after the spaghetti supper last night and said the loaves had gone down a treat, so it looks like I'll be doing a spot of baking every Tuesday from now on.

Maybe I should have forgotten to put the yeast in or something, and then I wouldn't have been asked for any more* ... [Devil]

There's apparently a Harvest Supper in a few weeks - I wonder what my contribution will be? [Big Grin]

* Not that I mind - I find bread-making rather therapeutic.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The babies went for more jabs yesterday, poor little things - the Dr said they may be feverish for a couple of days but no problem. Girl baby was a bit fractious all night [apparently] but boy baby just wanted food and sleep!

Boy baby, who was 0.25 kgs lighter at birth is now 0.5 kgs heavier at 4 kgs - he is a bit of a pudding but very sweet.

Today Himself and Herself have gone off to another hospital to get his biopsy results - if the consultant suggests another endoscopy he intends to decline the kind invitation, if he can.

I have finally got the office/study here set up for wifi, as long as my phone isn't too far away - too little dongles and loading a bit of software and it is all a go. I know the theory but it still staggers me that it all works.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems to be a fine day today! Just a shame the weather forecast is so rubbish for tomorrow.

Strange 24 hours. Responded to a request from a journalist yesterday and ended up in a studio facing John Humphrys and Nick Robinson before 7am this morning.

No sign of the rat in my flat for a fortnight now. Think it may have given up when I tried to stab it with an ice axe.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't seen any moths for a while either. I think the hoover and the Fury Moth Killer have exterminated the little blighters.

DIE INVERTREBRATE SCUM DIE!!

(I'm not usually this murderous, I promise [Biased] )

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went to Bath for the afternoon and had a very nice time. It's a lovely city, but it always seems to be at its best in the autumn, when the leaves swirl around and the sunlight enhances the yellow stone buildings.

The Great Bath Feast starts tomorrow. I wasn't sure initially whether this was the Great Feast of Bath or a Feast in a Great Bath (or even a Feast of Great Baths) but it promises to be a nine-day extravaganza of food stalls, special events, wine tastings, a Jane Austen themed tea, special offers at restaurants and so on.

I may have to go back for research purposes, to clarify what exactly is intended, you understand...

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I fancy a Jane Austen wine tasting entitled Sense and Insensibility.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I fancy a Jane Austen wine tasting entitled Sense and Insensibility.

As opposed to the UKIP beer tasting event: London Pride and Prejudice.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Went to Bath for the afternoon and had a very nice time. It's a lovely city, but it always seems to be at its best in the autumn, when the leaves swirl around and the sunlight enhances the yellow stone buildings.

The Great Bath Feast starts tomorrow. I wasn't sure initially whether this was the Great Feast of Bath or a Feast in a Great Bath (or even a Feast of Great Baths) but it promises to be a nine-day extravaganza of food stalls, special events, wine tastings, a Jane Austen themed tea, special offers at restaurants and so on.

I may have to go back for research purposes, to clarify what exactly is intended, you understand...

Meanwhile in Newport on 1st October is our own food festival. I expect it will a lot less smart than the Great Bath Feast but you will at least be able to park for less than the price of lunch for two.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The Great Bath Feast sounds right up my street (if not exactly my bank account).

Back to the Farmers' Market this morning, and the hydro-cooled corn season is over. [Waterworks] I bought a few corn-cobs from another stall, so we'll see if they're really any less good than the posh ones ...

Even though the stuff at the market isn't the cheapest you can buy, you sort of get a good feeling about it. I can't quite explain it, but you just feel that you're going to be eating well.

After a really nice lunch in a Vietnamese restaurant I went to get my hair cut (we're having our photo taken for a Cathedral directory next week, so I thought I ought to make myself a bit presentable), and got a pair of vastly-reduced boots while I was at it. My excuse is that my warm-weather clothes are still in storage (don't get me started*) but the weather is cooling a bit.

* Buyer of the former Château Piglet still playing silly-buggers - the sale should have closed yet again on Friday, but he still hasn't come up with the goods. We've instructed our solicitor to give him until Monday or the deal's off, so I hope he takes the hint, or we're stuffed. [Mad]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from Germany. Lots of fests! My eldest son's graduation as a nurse in Heidelberg was a lovely, informal ceremony with partying until 4am afterwards. Then we went (Boogielet1 and GF and Boggielet2 with his wife plus me and Mr Boogs) to lake Konnigsee on the Austian border. Lots of trekking in the mountains and rowing on the lake. Very peaceful.

Back home to real life - Tatze has been picked up and I go for Bruce tomorrow. Then we wait until we get news of when he goes to Big School. Then pupppeeeeee!!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are also just back from a week long cruise, round the Atlantic coasts of Spain and France. Weather fair to middling to hot. Had a great time, I really fell in love with La Rochelle, lovely place, old town mooching around, and old ports watersides, with plenty of cafes, Bistros and restaurants for the hungry, thirsty or just plain tired! Also went to La Corunna, Bilbao and St. Nazaire. the last town is still dominated by the huge, and very extensive concrete submarine pens built by the Germans for World War 2. Rather gloomy, and I thought sad. But there is an absolutely splendid Museum in one of the pens, Escal'Atlantique St. Nazaire was the ship building centre for the old liners that used to cross the Atlantic to the New world, and the whole Museum is laid out like a liner of that time. There is loads of information around, video presentations and lots of interactive bits for the children and young at heart! Fascinating!

Now we are back and the washing machine is working overtime, and the oven won't work, and when you try to turn it on it blows all the electrics in the house!

[Eek!]

Home, sweet home!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

The cruise sounds fantastic Nicodemia. It will still have been warm in the Med as well. Lots of nice memories to bring home with you.

Went to a Canal Day today which was nice and colourful as always. This time I got the chance to inspect a glider close up (as one of the attractions in a nearby park). It was much smaller inside than I expected, it had more controls than I thought it would, the wings are much longer and it can fly further and for longer than I ever imagined too. The record is apparently 45 hours. I'd love to have a flying lesson but am not sure I'd feel safe in a glider.

Still, good weather for the day, everybody seemed to be in a good mood, and there were lots of prettily decorated narrowboats, which I always like seeing.

[ 02. October 2016, 16:46: Message edited by: Ariel ]

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Ariel do go for a glider lesson. it's safe and an amazing experience, especially if you loop the loop.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm not sure that I'd fancy the gliding (I rather like the idea, but I suspect the reality might be a tad too far up the "scary" scale), but if you do, then go for it! [Big Grin]

We sang our first Evensong this afternoon with the choir here (it's only done on the first Sunday of the month, from September to June), but I really enjoyed it - Smith responses, Stanford in C and O thou the central orb. Evensong really is IMHO the most wonderful piece of liturgy ever written. [Smile]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

And to change the subject, it's been a bit of an odd weekend. Macarius got home from work on Thursday to find we'd had a break in. A spade had been taken from the shed and one of the patio doors smashed - must have taken some force.

Once we were able to clear up after the forensic people had been in (which wasn't until Saturday), we found that a slightly weird selection of stuff had been taken. The thief was obviously after money and jewellery, and must have found slim pickings - we don't really keep money at home and I'm not the sort of person who bothers with jewellery much. In fact, I felt rather judged and found wanting, as most of my favourite bits were left behind. The thief did grab my lovely emerald earrings but must have dropped one. So now I have one earring and so does the thief. I would have preferred to lose both, as at least that would have meant someone could enjoy them.

Macarius lost some things that were mainly of sentimental rather than financial value.

Some things that I think are essentially valueless were taken (a cheap pair of cuff links of the livery company of which I'm a member, for instance).

Anyway, clearing up has meant we've had a good old clear out as well. Perhaps I should have posted this on the de cluttering thread (I was surprised at the extent of my kirby grip collection!)

M.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
M. what a horrible experience. I've had a few break-ins over the years, though none in the last three places I've lived. Like you i don't really have a lot of expensive jewellery - our video recorder was the item that went every time. Bugger about the earrings though. I'm still annoyed at whoever hiked off with my lovely silver art nouveau ring that was my great-aunts.
On a more cheerful note I went to see Barb Jungr last night. Really recommended if you'd liek to hear a different take on the songs of Dylan and Cohen. I'm not sure all the arrangemnets worked, but her chat between the songs was great and it did give me a new insight into some of the songs. Leonard Cohen's The Future seemed particularly relevant for the times we're in.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

M. - I'm glad that you and Macarius are all right, but it's still a horrid feeling knowing that someone's been through your stuff (we've never had a house break-in, but we've had cars broken into and/or stolen, and you do feel a bit vulnerable).

And, as you say, what's the use of one emerald ear-ring? [Mad]

While we were having things done to the former Château Piglet, a couple of pieces of my jewellery disappeared from the case on the dressing-table. Although I didn't wear either of them very often, they had sentimental value (one was my wedding present from D., and the other had belonged to my granny), and they were probably almost the most valuable individual pieces I had, as they were gold and most of my stuff is silver.

We had no proof of how they disappeared (and we didn't want to accuse the bloke doing the work to the house), so we'll never know.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since you have the remaining earring, you have a fairly powerful weapon. You might wish to hawk it round to all the local pawn shops and jewelers. (Or photograph it and email them the image.) Ask them to keep an eye out for its mate.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Brenda Clough, hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Piglet, I know people say about the horrid feeling of someone going through your stuff, but while it's not very nice, I don't feel that particularly. It's just a fag having to deal with it all, although I have to say insurance company has so far been good.

I imagine it's worse if you think it's workmen you have trusted to come into your home.

M.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Break-ins suck. If the stones are big enough, could you get them turned into another piece of jewellery, like a ring or pendant?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Morning all.

Sorry to hear about the break in M.

[Frown]

This afternoon I'm back to work - must leave this iPad and get ready! Dressing smartly is such an effort!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016