homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 44)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I feel for you terribly; it is awful to be burgled because of the "they've been through my stuff" sensation and because the utter fag of having to clear up afterwards.
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
I felt rather judged and found wanting, as most of my favourite bits were left behind.

A friend was burgled some years ago. Amongst other things, they took her stereo and her CDs. Well... some CDs. They had sorted through the collection and left behind the only classical CD she owned and all the "Proclaimers" discs. She said just what you have - "I feel judged!"

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One emerald earring might be good for a nose piercing. Or bellybutton.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
One emerald earring might be good for a nose piercing. Or bellybutton.

Unless it looks like this in which case I suspect it would be pretty impractical for a nose piercing and jolly uncomfortable for a belly button.

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heck, you give me one of those (real, that is) and I will undertake to MAKE it comfortable!

[ 04. October 2016, 17:28: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The fridge/freezer died last night and I spent far too much time worrying about being able to replace it. When I got home from my walk this morning I called V, neighbour boy, who is a fridge and a/c mechanic who came round to have a look. He reckons he can fix it this evening after it has had a chance to completely defrost. We will have lost perhaps a hundred quids worth of food but won't face having to pay out for a new one - and still have to replace the wasted food!

The next problem will be paying him!

Happily I have a cunning plan to deal with him if he is difficult [Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly, not remotely that big, Teekeey Misha! But a pendant is a thought.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't need my cunning plan; Himself took over the paying and just forced the payment into V's shirt pocket - with me he'd have made a fuss but he just (almost) graciously accepted it from Himself, this may have been aided by Herself also insisting he take the money. His family aren't exactly flush with money but they are about the kindest people in the village.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's lovely. It's good to see kindness in the world - there is never enough of it.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm afraid I'm not thinking kind thoughts at all at the moment. The scumbag who was supposed to be buying our house has apparently changed his mind (after giving us the run-around for the last three-and-a-half weeks).

It's just possible that another bidder might still be interested, but the offer they made (before the scumbag made his) was really less than we can afford to take. It's costing us a fortune in (a) rent on the flat we're living in at the moment; and (b) storage for our stuff, which we had moved before the original closing date of the sale (12th September). If we don't get everything sorted out soon, winter is going to set in and our winter clothes (not to mention the winter tyres for the car) are in the stuff that's in storage, so we'll have to get replacements.

I am a monstrously pissed-off piglet. [Mad]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
what a nightmare, Piglet. Is the deal being fostered by a real estate agent?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet - that is such a pain. I hope a reliable buyer comes through pronto.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hang in there Piglet, same thing happened to my daughter a couple of years back. She eventually sold to someone who had seen the ouse before, and came back. There's hope yet!

Its a rotten thing to happen though, I agree. Think some people just do it for their idea of fun! [Mad]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Some people are so ungrateful!

today I got notification that my new bank account is okay so I went in the branch to get the next bit of the process underway. I already knew that the branch is moving soon to a new building just across the road so I offered my services to the Branch to help shift the contents of the Strong Room to their new accommodation.

The receptionist just laughed and declined my offer.

[Devil]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, a lot of businesses have clearance sales and give-aways before they move -- sort of a declutter. Perhaps they'll have some extra cash lying about that they would let you take off their hands. Just in the interest if helping them out, of course.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep. Banks need decluttering too!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'd be delighted to help any banks that needed to de-clutter at the moment. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been in the Scottish church this at 1 and it was very good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent news Daisymay.
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If you're ever contemplating a trip to New Brunswick (and you should - it's seriously gorgeous), come in the autumn. The trees here have been donning their autumn colours for the last couple of weeks, and it seems that they almost get prettier by the minute.

We had a wedding at the Cathedral this morning, and as the bride had sung in the choir when she was a student, we provided a choir, and sang the Magnificat from Stanford in C (as we were a bit low on numbers, I sang soprano, which was rather fun [Big Grin] ). After a foggy start (we couldn't actually see Fredericton as we crossed the bridge into town) the sun split the trees, and they got a beautiful day for it.

We seem to be having a bit of an Indian summer - it reached 22° today, and is forecast to be even warmer tomorrow. Just hoping that Hurricane Matthew will have run out of steam before it gets this far ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It was down to 22C overnight but I was brave and didn't use a blanket.

[Cool]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Piglet - bad news [Frown]

WW 22* is my all time favourite temperature [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
22 degrees is nice daytime maximum temperature.

Anything above that is just superfluous.

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's verging on chilly. It's all right for night but for daytime it needs to be heading towards 80°.

I had the bedroom window open last night (not much, only a couple of inches) as usual plus an extra blanket of the heavier kind and the electric blanket and it was still cold enough for me to wake up a few times. Nearly time to put the heating back on, but I'm resisting this because once it goes on, it stays that way until next summer.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

Preach it, brother! [Smile]

Actually, here at the moment it's 25°, but as there's hardly any humidity, and the sun is splitting the rocks, I can handle it.

We went to get our photographs taken for the Cathedral's new photo-directory today, which was quite a hoot, and the photographer must be a genius, because he made me look very nearly civilised. [Big Grin]

Some hope on the house front: we had an e-mail from our estate agent today with an offer for $2,000 more than the scumbag was offering, which looks promising (although I'm not counting any chickens yet).

Crossing everything crossable ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Brilliant news on the house-front, Piglet - holding you in the Light about the whole situation.

Your comment about the photographer for some reason brought to my mind the Judge's song from Trial by Jury, which will probably remain as an earworm for the next several days - and it is all your fault!

[Two face]

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Will keep everything crossable crossed this offer goes through, Piglet.

I am horribly grouchy at the moment and usual strategies for de-grouching don't seem to be any use. Ah well, I am just about to take myself out for the day to see if a complete break from everything will do the trick. I was heard muttering, in a subtle be-wailing tone, at one point in the week "I'm allergic to alcohol, can't eat potatoes, pasta, rice, chocolate or cake any more, speaking my mind will just go over everyone's head, and this course I've got to do is stressing me because of its tick-box, learning absolutely nothing new (when I've loads to learn) nature " which caused much consternation to those who heard me as this all was kind of contrary to the professional persona most people at work see...

Methinks a 20 mile walk might help put some perspective back in my world!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think a 20 mile walk can help with most situations - it should give you a chance to unfocus so you can refocus more meaningfully when you get back.

I am putting off rearranging one of my bookshelves and I know it has to be done and I know nobody else can do it for me and that if they tried I wouldn't like the way they did it!

Focus, WW! Just get it done!

As Sam Gamgee's dad used to say:

quote:
It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

Preach it, brother! [Smile]

Crossing everything crossable ... [Eek!]

Count the number please, according to my sister only odd numbers work!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Less than 15 minutes later and the shelf has been cleared, cleaned[!] and rearranged.

[Yipee]

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I am putting off rearranging one of my bookshelves and I know it has to be done and I know nobody else can do it for me and that if they tried I wouldn't like the way they did it!

Over the years I've tried arranging books alphabetically by author or by title, I've tried arranging them by subject, I've tried arranging them by colour, I briefly experimented with doing it by publisher, and now I do it deliberately at random so no related books are next to each other (but are in size groups) and shuffle the books on the shelf from time to time so it encourages me to read old favourites I haven't looked at for a while. How do you sort yours?

I haven't actually tried arranging them by oldness of edition or date of publication, but I think those are about the only two methods left (and frankly life's too short).

[ 08. October 2016, 10:01: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

In my case it was lack of available space for my monthly photographic magazines on Shelf A so they had to be moved to Shelf B, after the old CD cases on Shelf B had been cleared to a stool to give space for the magazines - the CD cases were subsequently relocated on to Shelf A.

Fiction, in the other room, is sorted by author and in here the non-fiction is [or should be] sorted vaguely by subject and some bits by author if they are as prolific as William Dalrymple or John Keay.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Your comment about the photographer for some reason brought to my mind the Judge's song from Trial by Jury, which will probably remain as an earworm for the next several days - and it is all your fault! [Two face]

You mean this bit?
quote:
She may very well pass for forty-three
In the dusk with the light behind her

You could have a lot worse ear-worms than that. [Big Grin]

D. and I very nearly got engaged during a performance of Trial by Jury in which he was the Judge and I was the Plaintiff ("Put your briefs upon the shelf, I will marry her myself"), but his nerve failed him, although we did get engaged a couple of months later.
[Axe murder]

I'm beginning to give thought to how the (bazillions of) books will be arranged in the future Château Piglet (assuming we get the house we've offered for, that is). There are three bedrooms, of which one will be ours, one is going to be the dining room and the third will be the study. IIRC it has two built-in wardrobes, which probably won't both be needed for clothes, so I'm contemplating either putting an existing bookshelf into at least one, or maybe having bookshelves built into one. D. will want to have his many work-related books readily to hand in there, so most of the bookshelves that we already have will go there.

As for the fiction library ...

Authors by whom we have multiple books, like Terry Pratchett, Ellis Peters, Phillippa Gregory and Jilly Cooper ( [Hot and Hormonal] ) can be put in groups; for the rest, I'm inclined to match them by size so that the shelves look neat (at least for a while, anyway).

eta: This hasn't yet allowed for the ursularium ... [Smile]

[ 08. October 2016, 17:58: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I think mine are going to just be grouped by size. I've run the gamut of rearrangements over the years, and I don't have equal quantities of different coloured covers to be able to make a proper rainbow on the shelves. (I'm not going to rush out and buy lots of green books etc to make up the deficit, either.)

On another note, banks are beyond belief. I went out this morning to transfer some money from my current account with Bank A to my ISA with Bank B. But because A and B are members of different banking groups they won't talk to each other and I cannot do a card payment. I was told to go away and come back with the sum in cash.

To complicate matters further there is no branch of Bank A in town which means a train journey to X then a train journey back with a sum in cash and I would have to take a half day off work to do this because neither A nor B offer counter service at the weekend.

The online bank branches locator will only give me info on branches available within 5 miles of my postcode so I don't know whether there is a branch with counter service in town Y I could go to on a Saturday.

Interest rates are now so low that it probably isn't worth it anyway and I might as well keep it in my current account. Welcome to 21st century banking. [Roll Eyes]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Come to India where transfers between banks seem remarkably smooth and painless - weird innit? I think it is a Reserve Bank of India [equivalent of the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street] directive that they have to do this but surely it is only common courtesy?

Having dashed to town last night to get baby formula, Herself does not produce enough milk to satisfy two hungry twins, this morning I find that the first time in living memory I have run out of toothpaste! So guess who is going to have to go into town again today?

GRRRRRR! [Mad]

If that is the worst crisis of the week I reckon I can cope.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our twins turned up unexpectedly yesterday afternoon. It was lovely to see them. I usually set up a duplo town in the front room for them with railway, farm, zoo, airport - you name it. This time all was still in the box and the front room full of Mr Boogs drums.

So we fed the fish and played on the garden xylophone then they looked at all my puppy videos on my iPad.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Chickens counted, and all dead - she's changed her mind. [Waterworks]

Our agent says they'd found a couple of leaks in the house (which weren't manifesting themselves in any meaningful way when we left) and the buyer says there's too much needs to be done, which is basically bollocks.

If she'd tell us what needs to be done, we'd consider dropping the price a bit to cover it (or paying to have it done), but that seems unlikely to happen.

Now we're trying to work out some kind of loan arrangement so that we can (a) pay the removal men*; and (b) secure the house we want to buy here.

* If we'd known how much we were going to be buggered about, we wouldn't have arranged for the house to be emptied when we did, in time for the original buyer (the Scumbag). [Mad]

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Piglet [Waterworks] [Mad]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sad to hear this.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm sad to hear that, too. I hope it all gets sorted soon.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry to hear this, Piglet. Buying and selling houses is so very horrible and stressful.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, Piglet, that's so not good news. I have kicked the universe on your behalf whilst out stomping out my grouches!

I feel considerably better for two 12 miles walks over the weekend but am still not looking forwards to this week at all. There are plans and strategies in place, fortunately, and further kicking of the universe will happen, I am sure.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did you have to stop them from playing the drums Boogie ? That sounds like quite an attractive option ( for them, not for you ).

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What bad luck, Piglet! So sorry for you. Buying and selling houses is sheer hell. Buyers look so kind, hopeful and willing to buy, and then turn out to be the sort of people who just go round looking at other peoples houses. For fun.

the right ones WILL turn up. Soon, I hope and pray.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Culinary triumph chez rouge!

I walked past a butcher’s shop on Saturday afternoon and lo! They were selling pheasants for a mere €11, all ready cleaned and prepared. (Probably means someone ordered them and then didn’t come to pick them up.)

Next step: phone the world’s amazingest chef, aka my Dad. “Hello Dad, how does one cook a pheasant?” Answer: since I did not feel confident in my abilities to dissect the bird, keep it whole and roast it. Wrap something round it to stop it drying out (the butcher had already put a bit of fat), stick it in a hot oven and baste it every five minutes. The breast will probably be cooked before the legs, therefore remove the legs once the breast is done and return them to the oven. The giblets came with it, so gravy was made. Serve with a red burgundy. I also cooked roast potatoes which were very nice, though I say so myself, and glazed carrots. In a fit of stunning domesticity I also came over all English and made a jam sponge.

*basks in delicious glory*

(Sorry piglet, that sucks.)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I went to see my Dr today about the ongoing [very minor] problem with the sort of rash/spots on my ankles and he slapped me!

Should I complain to the Indian Medical Association?

What really happened is that, as he was doling out some tablets, I asked him if I would live to see the morning - quite a reasonable question, I thought, but he gave me a little tap on the arm.

The good news is that last week he sent me to have a blood test with a whole raft of tests and they all came back fine, even my cholesterol which is lower than it has been for years. One reading [ESR?] was a bit high but he explained that that is because I have this rash thing on my ankles and my body is trying to fight it.

When we went to the blood test clinic to get the results earlier I was holding my arm and going "Oh, the pain!" from where they took the sample last week and the clinic staff were singularly unimpressed and just laughed at me. I tried to show them the massive bruise in the crook of my elbow but...

...I couldn't find it.

I am actually totally phobic when it comes to needles and Himself has to come with me and hold my hand whilst the dreadful deed is done but afterwards I can never really work out what I was scared about; until the next time.

Yes, I'm a wuzz and proud of it!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I have no idea what [major supermarket] do to their Gorgonzola but this is the second time now that I've had a piece which leaves a horrible burning aftertaste and wrecks the flavour of anything that follows it. It may be labelled Piccante but piquant it is not.

Still, a pleasant day selling some cakes at work for charity. It's been a weekend of baking: pumpkin pie, a plum, hazelnut and chocolate chip cake, and batches of little ginger cakes and chocolate chip muffins. I'd thought people would go for the familiar options but the plum cake was quite popular. I've probably raised about £35 or so which isn't bad. Together with the previous cake sale I hope I've raised £100 for a dementia charity.

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I walked past a butcher’s shop on Saturday afternoon and lo! They were selling pheasants for a mere €11, all ready cleaned and prepared.

Would that be a brace? It's quite expensive for a single bird.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Did you have to stop them from playing the drums Boogie ? That sounds like quite an attractive option ( for them, not for you ).

Haha! Luckily they were not set up, they have now gone back to the band's practice rooms - thankfully. They were only in the house due to a gig with a late night finish on Friday.

[Smile]

Today I had a nightmare journey on the M62, I'm never travelling on it again!

[Mad]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm just dropping in en route to a turkey-and-all-the-trimmings bash at the home of a lady in the Cathedral's praise band*.

We thought we'd escaped the Thanksgiving ritual when we left St. John's (where a couple in the choir used to do a gargantuan feast every year) - we're really not all that wild about turkey, but when it's offered (and cooked) by somebody else, well, it would be rude to refuse, wouldn't it?

La Vie, your pheasant sounds lovely. I did braised pheasants in Madeira (from a Delia Smith recipe) one Christmas and they really were rather good.

* We were a bit worried when we discovered D. was going to have to play the keyboard with a band, but it turns out that they're a really nice bunch of sort-of aged hippies, and not the least bit holy. [Biased]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
One reading (ESR?) was a bit high but he explained that that is because I have this rash thing on my ankles and my body is trying to fight it.

Erythrocyte (red blood cell) Sedimentation Rate - a measure of inflammation.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thanks WK.

One of the tablets I am taking is prednisilone(?) and I have to say that when I don't swallow it properly and it then dissolves on my tongue it tastes absolutely revolting. My doctor's observation on this is to make sure I swallow it properly the first time.

Helpful sort of chap, my doctor.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016