homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 47)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For ArachnidinElmet

Let me just say the chances are the original parkin recipe I knew influenced my take. It is likely to have come from the same part of the world and may still be written on a slip of paper in my mum's white recipe book.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
For ArachnidinElmet

Let me just say the chances are the original parkin recipe I knew influenced my take. It is likely to have come from the same part of the world and may still be written on a slip of paper in my mum's white recipe book.

Jengie

That's good enough for me, I've just not come across it before.

The only thing about parkin I'm an expert in is eating it.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May you all get a parkin fine. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Go away, Wesley. [Two face]

We've got a Harvest Supper coming up at the Cathedral on Sunday evening, and in a fit of possible insanity I've offered to make a fairly industrial quantity of gratin dauphinoise - the recipe I have is for 1lb of potatoes, but what I'm making is going to be closer to 5lb (or as near to that as will fit in my baking dish).

I'm also going to do a batch of French sticks, which seem to be going down very well at the spaghetti suppers they have on Tuesdays, so I'm going to have a busy time.

I suppose it keeps me out of mischief (well, nearly).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We took a wee trip out of town this afternoon, and it started to sn*w. [Waterworks] Not real, proper sn*w, you understand, just that sort of splatty stuff that a friend calls "fat rain", but it was white.

However, we then indulged in some retail therapy - D. got himself two jackets and a shirt in a charity shop (total cost $90, and one of the jackets was leather, practically new and a good make). There was a lovely ladies' raincoat in the shop too, but it was just too small for me. [Frown]

Then we headed to the shopping centre, where I cheered myself up by getting a new pair of jeans and some more books.*

* It's a total pain having all our books in storage, as the longer we're not in our own place, the more books we have to buy, and it's costing us a bl**dy fortune.

eta: I know we really ought to join the library, but we haven't got round to that yet. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 28. October 2016, 23:15: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The vagaries of public transport put paid to my baking anything substantial, as I was an hour and a half late home.

Luckily I'd bought some things at the supermarket, so was still able to contribute. Among the things others had made, there were chocolate sponge spiders with Smarties for eyes and Matchmakers for legs, and Rice Krispies pumpkins with jellybean stalks.

I'm not sure how much was raised but the donations pot looked extremely healthy by the time I left. Our floor have always liked cake. (I originally wrote that as "We've always liked cake on our floor" but that isn't quite what I had in mind.)

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I've had a reasonable "last day of half term day" off, (I don't count Sunday as a day off, what with organist duties) but it most certainly hasn't gone to plan...

Plan A was to do an 8 mile walk I've done bits of, but bailed out of the last section earlier in the week when I realise just how crowded that section of the park got during school holidays.

"Get up early, get the bus to the park and start there bright and early," thinks me. "Avoid the crowds. 9.00 a.m. should be good."

I didn't know about the enormously popular weekly park run which starts at 9.00 a.m...

Plan B was hastily compiled, but I had little enthusiasm for it and bailed out at lunch time.

Plan C turned into Plan D as the weather didn't improve and I confess to being a fair weather walker. Still, my bus ticket got some decent use today and I've travelled on some buses I've not used much recently.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from the Georgia O'Keeffe retrospective at Tate Modern which finishes tomorrow so I needed to get to it if I was going to see it. Lots of visual and actual links to Ansell Adams and other photographers of the period, which I hadn't consciously realised.

(I confess I got to room 6 and was flagging, 13 rooms felt like a lot. Shingles is knackering.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Plan A was to have a thorough clear out of a quarter of my allotment, but I woke up wheezy and coughing, so Plan B kicked into action: a day of working through various projects. I completed a quilt after 8 months of sewing, finished the back of a sweater, cut out 4 bags that will be Christmas pressies and completed sewing one of them. And made bread. And (most importantly!) carved my pumpkin ready for Monday. Still wheezing and coughing though [Frown]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Any plans I may have had kind of disappeared in a very long lie, followed by a delicious lamb-chop casserole made last night (mostly) by D. with a bit of help from me.

We like our food ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Shingles is knackering.)

You're alright as long as they don't meet in the middle!

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If my posts seem more than usually garbled it may be because I have spent various periods yesterday and today actually garbling!

We have had a tray of ungarbled black pepper in the upper hall for months [probably since last harvest, which was February!] so I eventually got sick of nearly tripping over it all the time and took it on to the balcony and have happily garbled away my time. Separating black peppercorns from their stalks is neither the most most awful nor the most pleasant way to spend time but someone has to do it and, as others in the house seem to devote most of their time to the care of The Twins and, as a job, it doesn't require any high degree of skill, I decided that the appropriate someone may as well be me. I have gone through a couple of kilograms of pepper so far and have perhaps another kg to go.

11 year old neighbour boy from across the lane came over last night for a little visit and had never seen a vacuum cleaner before so I graciously allowed him to vacuum half the big upper hall. Aren't I kind?

[Angel]

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
11 year old neighbour boy from across the lane came over last night for a little visit and had never seen a vacuum cleaner before so I graciously allowed him to vacuum half the big upper hall. Aren't I kind?

[Angel]

[Two face]

Do you have a fence that needs to be painted?
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't even have to tell him that he'd be no good at it! I plugged it in and away he went.

Perhaps I can negotiate with his parents for him to pay a weekly visit.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I didn't even have to tell him that he'd be no good at it! I plugged it in and away he went.

"If he does all his homework and behaves well during the week, then as a special treat he can come over and clean our floors..."
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[tangent] Can I remind people that if you wish to take part in Secret Santa, the lists close on November 5th.[\tangent]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
[tangent] Can I remind people that if you wish to take part in Secret Santa, the lists close on November 5th.[\tangent]

Are you saying we need to remember, remember the 5th of November?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

"If he does all his homework and behaves well during the week, then as a special treat he can come over and clean our floors..."
Worked for me - my Grandma got me to behave well AND got the brasses polished.
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, we've just bought some huge rockets from a local garden centre. Our church traditionally has a fireworks party at one of two houses which have large gardens. We all take food and fireworks. We have a large "cake" firework we bought last year but we didn't use as something came up and we weren't able to go. It's been kept flat and dry, so should be ok.
Yes, I know it's burning money, but I do enjoy watching fireworks.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... I have gone through a couple of kilograms of pepper so far ...

I love black pepper (especially on baked potatoes or strawberries), but I can feel a sneeze coming on just thinking about that. [Big Grin]

The Harvest Supper went off very nicely - there was baked ham, home-made baked beans (something I'd never come across until I crossed the Pond) and gratin potatoes (some made by me, although I didn't get any of my own). The organisers seemed very pleased to take them, though, and I had some nice comments about the French bread as well.

I think a spot of lazing about will be in order tomorrow - it's been a busy day. [Snore]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday beautiful Bruce! One year old today. Photo on my 'Room' blog.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice to see you, to see you, nice! [Yipee]

Very happy birthday, Bruce! [Axe murder]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A busy few days. Parents en rouge turned up on Thursday and together we have been busy eating our way around Paris. (It’s game season, so Thursday night = wild boar, cooked with love by husband en rouge, and Friday = pheasant pâté and roast venison at a very nice restaurant around the corner from our house).

Yesterday it was my birthday so on Saturday night we had a Party™. It was an eighties party, and I wore the world’s froofiest, most sequin-bedecked party dress in a charming shade of fuschia pink taffeta with black net underneath. I love that thing. My parents don’t really do fancy dress and looked a bit bemused. I made them into Reagan and Thatcher which I think my Dad at least did find quite funny in the end. He was even spotted wearing a silver glitter wig of his own volition [Big Grin] .

Yesterday we went to the market in the morning and there was More Food. Specifically foie gras, and fillet of St Pierre with scallops, clams and girolles. My Dad the super chef made this and it was very delicious. There was also a somewhat superior bottle of premier cru white Burgundy. Mmmmm.

After that we went to a very interesting exhibition that they have on at the moment at the Philharmonie about Beethoven. I think my favourite bit is a section with some of the great man’s personal effects, including his violin and his ear trumpets (one of which is surprisingly ginormous). More gruesomely, they also have his death mask, which is as close as one gets to beholding his face.

Tomorrow is a public holiday. I think we are going to go for a walk outside Paris and detox from the food.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention: I have new ruby earrings. Real ones. The men in white coats will be coming to take husband en rouge away any time now. [Biased]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday for yesterday! Your dress sounds scrumptious and the ruby earring, well, what a gem of a husband!
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Joyeux anniversaiiiiiiiire (=Happy Birthday), La vie! [Yipee]

And wot Doone sed. [Cool]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Belated Happy Birthday from over here, too.

Erm, hasn't St Pierre been dead for rather a long time?

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was my birthday last Monday. Mr D "bought" me soime tiles for our new bathroom. That is to say, he didn't buy me anything*, but we're having a new bathroom fitted (tiles being slapped on the walls as I type) so all available money (and some that isn't!) is going towards that.

The workmen are costing quite a lot, but there's three of them (electrician, plumber and the rest) and they work together so we don't have to play the well-known French game of "Find the Workman/woman When You Need him/her", which in this area is a really tricky game to play. We thought it worth the extra not to have the hassle of having to coordinate 3 independant workmen.

*The cats clubbed together to buy me a big box of chocklits, which I have to share with Mr D.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday VER, that all sounds lovely.

We've eaten our pumpkin pie and gingerbread bats whilst watching 'Corpse Bride'. There've been a couple of Trick or Treaters. I was served by a zombie cheerleader in Sainsbury's this morning. It must be Halloween.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy birthday to Dormouse and la vie en rouge from downunder.

Rubies sound delightful and Dormouse, anything to make life easier doing renovations is to be much encouraged. And chocolate to top things off. Wonderful.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Many happy returns to La Vie and Dormouse! [Smile]

La Vie, your celebrations sound like just my sort of thing!

The only good thing about not having our own house yet and living in a flat is that we didn't get any guisers, although there were a couple of fully-made-up Goths in the corridor when I went to do the laundry. There were also a few ghostly apparitions walking round the streets when we came out this evening, and because I'm a very nice piglet, I'm pleased that they got a nice evening for it (cool, but dry).

Of course this means that we haven't got a basket filled with sweeties that I don't really like but would have eaten because they were there, which I think on balance is probably a Good Thing.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Himself and I were on the balcony the other day and watched a mongoose and young wander across our forecourt - and then a few minutes later they came back, young 'un first who wanted to explore some bushes and then trailed by mum and then off they trundled into some nearby greenery. Great to see them and great that they keep the snakes at bay - but then the snakes also keep the rats at bay.

The Data-Entry clerk at my new bank has managed to input my mobile number as *******844 instead of *******849! This is causing some consternation and is not as easy to change as you might think, but at least it is in process. This morning I paid in a not insignificant amount of money and then drew more than half of it out and so some poor soul will have received SMS messages from my bank detailing transactions about which they know absolutely nothing.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, many years ago,my husband took out life insurance policies on both of us. When paperwork arrived, I saw that my year of birth had been entered wrongly.

I rang to have it corrected. It was DEFINITELY not their fault. I must have made a mistake telling them and it was out by a year. As if! They refused to correct it or even to check the original paper work I had filled in.

If I wanted a correction, I needed a statutory declaration, certified copies of birth certificate in triplicate and more., including personal references from long standing friends. I left both the problem and the husband not long after. I doubt he did anything and probably let it lapse.

It was their attitude that they could not possibly make a mistake which was the most annoying thing about it.

[ 01. November 2016, 19:38: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

You'd have thought that getting something as basic as your date of birth wrong would have sort of mattered to a life-insurance company, wouldn't you? Anyway, really how hard would it have been for them to correct it?

[Confused]

I'm messing about on here, having delivered the French sticks to a rather bemused lady who was setting up for the spaghetti supper (she's someone who goes to the 8 a.m. service at the Cathedral, which doesn't involve either the choir or D., so she had no idea who we were).

Once D's finished rehearsing with the band, we're going to supper (curry, apparently - hope it's not frighteningly spicy [Eek!] ) with a couple in the choir - we've had their hospitality before, and he's a very good cook, so it should be rather jolly.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, you probably know this already, but plain yoghurt mitigates excessive spiciness. Why not take some? It helps to soothe your diplomatic ulcer, doesn't it?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Did some autumn tree lopping and pruning yesterday; the branches were up against the roof and likely to skim some tiles off in a high wind. Today I've been left with a sore shoulder, achy spine and 'I'm a lumberjack' as an earworm. I thought gardening was supposed to be healthy [Paranoid]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Did some autumn tree lopping and pruning yesterday; the branches were up against the roof and likely to skim some tiles off in a high wind. Today I've been left with a sore shoulder, achy spine and 'I'm a lumberjack' as an earworm. I thought gardening was supposed to be healthy [Paranoid]

Have you put on women's clothing and hung around in bars?

--------------------
~Tortuf

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

Have you put on women's clothing and hung around in bars?
Frequently, though the former more than the latter. [Biased]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Today, after an unexpected lunch invitation, I cam home and half made the bike shed that was delivered flat-pack on Monday before it got too dark to see the nails. This evening I babysat but the child wouldn't let his grown up leave so we sat around drinking prosseco and nattering - quite a pleasant baby-sit [Smile]
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had a v. enjoyable evening (and a v. nice, not-too-spicy curry) with our friends in the choir last night, and today, after a very long lie, I made some chicken stock, and then a batch of French bread for ourselves.*

Then D. suggested we go out for a bite, which was originally going to be a Chinese buffet, but we ended up downtown in an Indian/Pakistani place called Chez Riz, which we hadn't tried before (no matter that we'd eaten curry last night ...). It was very good indeed, although we were the only people in the place, and we'll definitely be going back.

* Baking bread for the Cathedral spaghetti suppers is all very well, but we don't get to eat any of it ... [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

This morning I woke with the alarm at 05:00 but I didn't get out for my morning walk until 05:40 having lain there having a long argument with myself. It was just spitting with rain as I left but it cleared within minutes so I walked an hour but I have just been downstairs and coming back up was not amusing - my left knee thinks I've done too much.

As I have to go into town later left knee will just have to lump it!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a magical day yesterday playing with ten 5 week old puppies - what could be better? My new pup is a little sweetheart. Confident and calm and not demanding at all 💕💕. Her name could be Jacky (which was my Dad's name!) but that could be changed if she's sponsored.

They are in Rugby and the journey down was excellent and relaxing. The journey home not so, what a difference rush hour makes! I intended to get a coffee and sandwich and read my book. No chance - standing room only and nobody could move!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I've put a couple of photos on my 'Garden' blog [Cool] [Big Grin]

She has blue eyes but they will turn to brown in a few months. She's pure Labrador and is going to become a Guide Dog mummy.

[ 03. November 2016, 07:49: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd squee if I weren't in the office....
Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm at home so here I go:

SQUEEEEEEE!!!

Very nice Boogie.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie - she's lovely. How do they diecide which dogs will be guide dogs and which one's mummy? Does that mean different training?
I've just gone and joined my local library, feeling slightly guilty that I haven't done it before, seeing how libraries need all the support they can get and I have librarian written through me like Brighton rock.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Boogie - she's lovely. How do they diecide which dogs will be guide dogs and which one's mummy? Does that mean different training?

The Stud Dogs and Brood Bitches are pure bred Labs, GRs, poodles, flat coats or German Shepherds. Almost all the guide dogs are crosses of these breeds - mainly Lab/GRs. But they have to pass very rigorous health checks to become mummies or daddies so some don't get through and go on to become guide dogs.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

She has blue eyes but they will turn to brown in a few months. She's pure Labrador and is going to become a Guide Dog mummy.

[Axe murder]

Since she'll be a mummy, does that change how long she'll be living with you?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

[Axe murder]

Since she'll be a mummy, does that change how long she'll be living with you?

It will be about the same, 12 to 14 months 🐾🐾🐾

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

What a wee darling! [Axe murder]

I've gone into "don't get excited, Piglet" mode again - we've had another offer on the house, so please cross everything crossable that the conditions can be met, and we can get shot of the place.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016