homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 48)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fingers and toes x-ed for you, Piglet. I hope that this is the right purchaser.

I have managed to break my favourite china mug - it was a SoF Secret Santa pressie a few years ago, and was from the National Gallery of Scotland. I have plenty of mugs, so I am not at a loss when it comes to receptacles from which to drink tea, but it was a particular favourite and I miss it. (I don't like breaking things.)

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's always the favourite one that gets broken, isn't it? [Frown]

I had one with my initial on it - it wasn't a proper posh china mug, but it had been a present and I had a keeping on it, and it got dropped in a porcelain sink at w*rk many years later, and I was, shall we say, rather miffed.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We recently came across a jotter once kept by a certain 6 year old daughter at a primary school in Fife, noting that the 5th of November is Gay Fox day. Have to confess that it took a couple of seconds to decode that one.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

Love it, ST, just love it!

Mrs. S, snickering

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks like I am unlosing things - first a lost hat turned up in a bag of knitting [Confused] then a lost coat turned up tidied up in the cupboard where it lives in the winter [Hot and Hormonal] now all that needs to be unlost is a bangle. Can I blame the cat for any of this?

Today I am carrying on building a bike shed - the instructions recommend 2 people, but that isn't going to happen. They also require the shed to be laid on its back for the doors to be fixed but it's bigger than any available space, so all in all it's an interesting exercise. I've almost fixed one door to it, I might even get the roof on today.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Strewth daisydaisy I am well impressed [Eek!]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went for a Spanish lunch yesterday and a wander round Oxford. There's a new cheese shop I'd heard good things about, and it's a friendly kind of place so I'll pop back again at some point. I must stop collecting cheese, though: since Friday, I now have an award-winning Roquefort, a prize Gruyere, and a rather good Irish cheese from Cork, like Gouda, only nicer.

This morning I was up early enough to go out to the countryside and visit a tiny village that only has three shops, one of which is a genuine French artisan baker's. The drive out was glorious, lots of deserted country lanes swirling with coloured leaves, like great handfuls of golden confetti being flung everywhere. It really is a beautiful time of year.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have you tasted the Barkham Blue yet Ariel?

I am looking forward to other opinions on it.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I may possibly have had that at the last cheese tasting. I remember a rather good blue cheese, and Barkham is certainly one of the blues on their list, but whether they'll bring it along this time, I don't know. I shall report back.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daisydaisy - [Overused] !!

We got some interesting-looking cheese in Costco last week - I think it was a special offer, as it was four little 100g rounds of Camembert-type cheese for about $5, which is very reasonable - by Portneuf of Quebec. I'd need to check the labels - they weren't all exactly the same - but I think the one we tried last night was the La Sauvagine, and it was very nice indeed. Slightly runny, and just a tad whiffy, but the taste wasn't nearly as fierce as the aroma, if you get my meaning, and lovely with home-made bread and an apple.

We took a wee jaunt out of town this afternoon - it was a lovely, crisp autumn day - and the trees here are definitely heading towards the "winter" end of the spectrum. There are a few brave, coloured leaves still clinging on, but many of the trees are bare. There's still something rather beautiful about their silver starkness though.

I love it here (and we get an extra hour's sleep tonight). [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
[...] I love it here (and we get an extra hour's sleep tonight). [Yipee]

Yay for land, love and lying in! And cheese. [Yipee]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Starting Sunday morning with flashing lights at breakfast that threaten a migraine is NOT my idea of fun - God kindly take note! Anyway three hours in bed [mostly asleep] and a large intake of fluid seems to have dealt with it.

Thanks be to God.

I am now, of course, exhausted which always seems silly to non-migraine sufferers but is understood well by most who have ever had one.

Previous lady who helped with the twins had to leave as her hubby had an accident and ended up in hospital - new lady arrived yesterday and seem okay but not quite as bouncy as the previous one, doubtless she'll settle in well to the madhouse that this house can be.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor WW - although I don't get actual, proper migraines, I get the occasional flurry of headaches, and they can be bad enough. I think I can understand why you feel knackered after they've gone, as presumably your body's using up energy to fight them off (or something like that - IANAD etc., etc.).
quote:
... and we get an extra hour's sleep tonight ...

So much for that - I woke at 3 in the morning and tossed and turned for at least an hour, then when I did fall asleep again I had a bad dream (which is rare for me - when I dream it's usually just silly). [Frown]

I took my first turn today at reading a lesson since we moved here (one of the other readers had asked me if I'd volunteer, so I did). The way you sign up for reading here is via a web-site, where there's a schedule of services and you sign up for a particular lesson, on a particular date, and there's a link to the text of the lesson.

I duly clicked on the link, printed out the text in big print (I prefer not to wear my specs when I have to walk about) and read it over a few times (as you do). Imagine my horror when I got into the choir-stalls, looked in the bulletin and discovered that the lesson wasn't the one from the web-site - it had been changed because we were marking All Saints' Day. Was this some evil cyber-conspiracy designed to wrong-foot me on my first day? Probably not, but it felt like it. Fortunately, the lessons are printed in slightly bigger type at the lectern, and I got through it, but was a less than happy piglet. [Eek!]

And a few people were kind enough to say I'd done well. [Smile]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Starting Sunday morning with flashing lights at breakfast that threaten a migraine is NOT my idea of fun

Oh dear - hope you feel better now. I can't imagine it's easy with two tiny children around, either.

Today has been cold, bleak, rainy and very November. I finally caved in and put the heating on, which will probably be on from now until the next heatwave.

Since it was the sort of weather when you don't want to go anywhere, I've also had another cooking binge: prawns pil pil, patatas bravas, garlic mushrooms, Catalan-style spinach and Spanish baked eggs with peas, chorizo and Serrano ham. Worked well - if and when I move somewhere bigger, I'll be inviting friends round for tapas. There will, obviously, need to be a few trial runs yet of various recipes to make sure everything works, and lots of sampling, you understand.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That all sounds delicious. Definitely the weather for warm food.

I'm in the middle of making an ox cheek stew with some purple carrots. It turns out they have a similar effect to beetroot in cooking; I now have a completely purple stew bubbling away. Should taste ok though.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It certainly is a good time for cooking - today I used up some of my Halloween lantern pumpkin by making a delicious (well, I had to be sure!) cake. The rest of the pumpkin is beginning to turn, but I hope to steam it tomorrow ready to freeze.

Roof is now on bike shed and it's in position, so bike is now safe & dry in it. The doors need a bit of adjustment as they don't exactly meet, but that's fine detail [Cool] as I've personalised the shed so I can lock the bike to the fence post behind through a couple of cunning holes, so no need for locking doors that could be broken into.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

I've now had this. It was one of five cheeses - we tried Yarg, Pendragon (which is made from buffalo milk) a Welsh Brie, a goat's cheese and the Barkham Blue. The Barkham and Yarg were particularly good, and I came away with a decent size hunk of them to take home.

The Barkham has all the qualities a good blue cheese should have: creamy, tangy, salty, aromatic: it was my favourite out of the five. I still like Roquefort the best, though.

There was one person there who'd never had blue cheese before, so this seemed like a pretty good introduction. The only one I didn't like was the buffalo cheese.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lost out on the pub quiz again last night. There were a team of pros in who ran away with it, so everyone was vying for 2nd place. Got pipped by the Anglicans who knew how big the UK was to the nearest thousand square miles. [Waterworks]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

I've now had this. It was one of five cheeses - we tried Yarg, Pendragon (which is made from buffalo milk) a Welsh Brie, a goat's cheese and the Barkham Blue. The Barkham and Yarg were particularly good, and I came away with a decent size hunk of them to take home.

The Barkham has all the qualities a good blue cheese should have: creamy, tangy, salty, aromatic: it was my favourite out of the five. I still like Roquefort the best, though.

There was one person there who'd never had blue cheese before, so this seemed like a pretty good introduction. The only one I didn't like was the buffalo cheese.

On the subject of blue cheese, what do people think of Blue Vinney? Best of the lot, but that's my opinion.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like Blue Vinney, but it's not that easy to find. Living in the area the rumour would go around that the village store that stocked it was due some in and we'd make the pilgrimage there buy our fix. Goes well with Dorset knobs, and Moore's factory is worth visiting too.

The Milk Marketing board dairy made good cheeses too, cheddar in mild, medium and tasty, plus cooking, and Stilton. They had a market stall near the livestock market and gave the children sticks of cheese to chew on, or dribble down my neck, as my daughter was in a carrier.

[ 07. November 2016, 18:03: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
... [purple carrots] have a similar effect to beetroot in cooking; I now have a completely purple stew ...

That sort of surprises me; blue potatoes don't. The first time I made a red-white-and-blue potato salad, I was worried that the mayonnaise was going to end up looking like blueberry yoghurt, but it was fine, even though the potatoes are blue all the way through.

I've had a cooking day today too: as well as baking a batch of French sticks, I cooked a small, boneless leg of lamb that we got for about $18 (which seemed very reasonable). I studded it with rosemary and garlic and roasted it on a bed of sliced onions, with some baby potatoes and chopped carrots round it and a slosh of red wine and it was really rather good. And there are left-overs for nibblation ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Purple beans turn green when cooked so no problems there.

I have to feed eldest grandson for a while. Nearly 18 and just finished school, he has pivcked up a few days of work not far from my place. As he starts at 6:30 am, this is a good thing. He lives much further away.

From memories of my three boys, I can still see the mountains of food they could put away. Often helped by their friends who managed to ring doorbell just as dinner was being served.

I have just unpacked an enormous grocery order, the biggest by far of any I have had here. Some washing up detergent, some bottles of tonic water and some wine were the only pantry type goods. Everything else was fresh or things like cheese.

I do have the other accompaniment for the tonic. Several bottles of Bombay Sapphire are just waiting for it in pantry.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
...Several bottles of Bombay Sapphire are just waiting for it in pantry.

So you're okay until the morning?

[Two face]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I went back to the dermatologist yesterday, a week early but the rash was obviously spreading. A new regime of tablets and a change to good old Calamine lotion, all over, twice a day.

All good fun!

Then last night I didn't sleep all night so I ended up reading much of the night then slept after my morning walk - 06:30 until 10:00. I had also had some sleep yesterday afternoon so I was not exactly sleep-deprived - or only in comparison to the twins who seem to sleep for India! I think the boy is a future captain of the All India Olympic Sleeping Team!

It's getting on for lunchtime but I am thinking that another little lie down after food might be on the cards.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have bad psoriasis which is usually at its worst in October and November. This year it is calm and quiet I put it down to my no-sugar diet [Smile]

Weather wise we have cold, 3 degrees and frost. Which is fine by me, but sn*w is forecast so I'm taking my small snow boots to work this afternoon. I have three pairs, small, smart and warm for flurries and slush. Large and warm for brrrrrrrrrr snow and ice. Big and furry and tough with good tread for dog walking on the moors and hills.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lucky you, Boogie. Mine has been much worse this year. I Have never eaten much sugar, I do not like sweet things, but flour etc was always eaten.

My psoriasis flares in autumn and spring and is bad now. Am about to slather cream on before going to bed

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
... [purple carrots] have a similar effect to beetroot in cooking; I now have a completely purple stew ...

That sort of surprises me; blue potatoes don't. The first time I made a red-white-and-blue potato salad, I was worried that the mayonnaise was going to end up looking like blueberry yoghurt, but it was fine, even though the potatoes are blue all the way through.

It surprised me too, but they did dye my hands slightly when chopped. Luckily, cooked with beef, they came out a nice dark stew-y colour, but if it had been chicken I suspect it would have come out grey. Blaech.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

When I grew blue potatoes I had fun serving them up to unsuspecting diners!

Today I beat the frost with some baking - 2 tray bakes for WI tonight. I hope 24 slices of each of Victoria sandwich (well, it's WI so I couldn't help it) and lemon drizzle is enough.

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, can I join your WI, we only have biscuits!
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Biscuits at my WI too...and I can't eat them as I am wheat-intolerant. Boo.

It has been cold and miserable here - dark by 4.15 this afternoon. Miserable.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

We're new (this was our 3rd meeting) so it's an opportunity to set some standards early! Only 11 pieces came home (already safely stashed in the freezer) so I think they were acceptable. Let's see what the next baker comes up with.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
... Weather wise we have cold, 3 degrees and frost ...

It's been a glorious day here - up to 15°, and there was the remains of a lovely sunset when we came down to deliver the French sticks for the spaghetti supper people.

Sadly we didn't take advantage of the weather - D. was at a meeting at w*rk and I was baking the French sticks and making potato salad and by the time we'd had a late lunch we were both feeling a bit dozy. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Biscuits at my WI too...and I can't eat them as I am wheat-intolerant. Boo.

It has been cold and miserable here - dark by 4.15 this afternoon. Miserable.

Can they not buy some gluten-free counterparts? At least some? You can eat them with no health worries, they can eat them with no health worries. Maybe a few cents more to buy.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gluten free biscuits are a bit hit and miss over here, and significantly more expensive - often triple the cost.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's a huge impost. Perhaps wheat is vastly cheaper than the alternatives. Friends here say that there are few problems with bought packets, and that cakes and biscuits bought from patisseries/cake shops are good quality.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Ages ago I ordered something online but it was lost in transit so the item never arrived - the company told me all this when it was mislaid and returned the money, the very same day I was told it was lost, into my account.

Excellent service, I'm happy with that, even though I would really have liked the item in question.

Fast forward to one day last week when I got an SMS to say that the item had been dispatched from their supplier - Strange, I thought, I don't remember re-ordering it. I went to the website and I hadn't reordered it, though I still want it. A few days later another SMS saying it would be delivered today or tomorrow so I went back to the website to try to contact somebody to discuss me owing them money but found there is no provision for doing this! There is a Contact Us box but it only takes set questions, it doesn't have a space for open questions at all.

The item is now sitting in the local courier office waiting for me to collect it but I don't know how to pay for it!

I have decided that it is their problem and I will wait for them to contact me and ask for payment, which I am very happy to make.

It seems a very strange way to run a business!

--------------------

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
5th of November is Gay Fox day.

I once marked a GCSE essay that featured a page long sentence about that noted figure from English history, Ovile Crumble. Once I had figured out who the hell he was talking about, I was able to turn my attention to wondering why the hell he was writing about the English Civil War in a philosophy paper.

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderick:
It seems a very strange way to run a business!

But a felicitous one if it means sending you things for which you can't pay and for which they seem to require no payment! As youths of my acquaintance would declaim, "Result!"

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you really do want the item, I'd fetch it from the post office. Otherwise they may send it back.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's collected, it's assembled and it's ready to roll!

Still no idea how to pay for it but the money is there for when they ask.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Did anybody else have snow overnight? It was the first hot water bottle of the year, so there must have been something in the air, but it was still a bit of a surprise.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

No snow Deep South, just cold drizzle.

I had a pleasant afternoon communing with a frog: I decided to do a bit of sorting out of my pond and there he (she?) was, complaining that I'd disturbed a good nap before hopping off into the undergrowth.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D's parents used to have a sort of quasi-pond (I think it was actually a submerged kitchen sink) with a froglet in it, and we always made a point of going down the garden to say hello to him/her whenever we were over.

We seem to be having the last hurrah of autumn here - it was 12° when we came down the road today, and it really doesn't feel the least bit cold yet. Socks are still just an occasional accessory. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<imagines WW on the coolest, well, only Segway in town, effortlessly gliding along, waving left and right to bystanders, and followed by a horde of cheering, excited children> [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A drying rack for nappies, etc. seems to excite some people unduly [Razz]

There is a big cash transition thing going on here that is looking to be both tiresome and time consuming with all the high value currency notes being withdrawn and replaced so the cash I withdrew from the ATM earlier this week has to be paid back into my account and then new cash withdrawn - the current incumbent PM always wanted cashless transactions and it seems to be a step in that direction - Big Brother is watching 1.2 Billion people at once! Major inconvenience today is that the ATM machines will not be up and running until tomorrow and then on restricted amounts for at least a week - this will not be helping the travel industry!

Add to that that I seem to have acquired a permanent air of Calamine Lotion as I walk about, hardly the sexiest men's cologne fragrance!

Ah well, these things shall pass.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

I prefer Wesley J's image of WW gliding along on a Segway, rather than the less romantic reality offered by the man himself!
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Now I've looked up what a Segway is I have to agree that they look rather cool - and I used to love travelling on two wheels, but they were one in front of the other with a rather non-environmentally friendly Japanese twin-cylinder slung between them and powering the back one.

As I was in the shower washing the body beautiful earlier [yes, I was alone!] I suddenly thought that at least Calamine smells better than Brut! And similarly I have to splash it all over for a few more days.

The Great Smell of Brut?

YUK!!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There was a time, many, many moons ago when we all thought that The Great Smell Of Brut™ was the ultimate in attractive pongs. Showing my age a bit there ... [Hot and Hormonal]

In other news, we had a delightful Small World moment last weekend. We were at a concert in the Cathedral given by the Fredericton Symphony Orchestra and we were introduced to a gentleman whose best friend lives in Orkney, taught me English back in the 1970s and sang in the choir of St. Magnus Cathedral when we were there.

Before we moved over the Pond, she was the only Canadian* we knew (she's originally from Montreal) - what were the chances that we'd meet her best friend?

* apart from a few assorted expat cousins of mine that I've never met, who presumably don't count.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Small World moments are magical.

Today I have my first Christmas-related event: helping to make lanterns that will be paraded at the town's late night shopping evening (we're usually all snug at home by then). It still feel afar too early! Even Celteic Advent doesn't begin until next week.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
There was a time, many, many moons ago when we all thought that The Great Smell Of Brut™ was the ultimate in attractive pongs.

Ugh no. There was a student across the hall from me in my college days who used to pretty much bathe in the stuff, mainly to disguise the fact he hadn't had a wash. I'd never liked Brut anyway and liked it even less after that.

Fun day yesterday out with some old friends for tapas and wine, a look around town, then coffee and cake. We're going for Dutch pancakes in the new year.

Meanwhile, the Christmas Market season kicks off at the end of next week so I'll have a think about which, if any, I'm going to this year. Bath is one of the nicest (and prettiest, in the shade of the old Abbey), but I've been a few times already.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Another Brut hater here - and Lynx, the current poison of choice of teenage boys is just as bad.

I was hoping to get out for a walk and take pictures of autumn colour after seeing the trees in the sunshine yesterday (when I wasn't carrying a camera and was stuck inside working), but of course, it's grey, dull and raining today.

So fed up of being tired. I have had to work through shingles because I'm on a temp contract and no work means no pay and no bills paid. I missed another concert I really wanted to see last night, the only London date this year (like the last two I missed over half term). I got there for the published start time of 7pm but the main act wasn't on until 8:10pm. With a 90 minute journey home and already just wanting to sleep, I gave up and went home.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016