homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016 (Page 52)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather! The British thread 2016
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Strange you should be talking about, shall we say, extraneous noises in church. There were a few tinies at the BCP Choral Eucharist at the Cathedral this morning, and some of them were making their presence felt. After the sermon, the Dean came down from the pulpit and addressed the congregation, saying that it was perfectly fine for kids to make a noise, and their parents shouldn't feel the least bit embarrassed.

Cue for one particularly vocal child to set up a screaming session that lasted until we started singing the Sanctus.

[Two face]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
..at which point, presumably, the choir simply out-screamed the said child...

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
... in a particularly holy way!

The RC church next to ours has a sign in the door saying that the PP likes children and that "boisterous and turbulent" toddlers are welcome at their services. It (the sign)has become quite celebrated around the town.

[ 11. December 2016, 15:53: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was the pageant today - worth a thread of its own. A small sheep went on strike and ran back to her mother, where she proceeded to throw a really fine tantrum. Looking over her mother's shoulder she saw me enjoying her performance, stopped yelling for a while, and gave me a conspiratorial grin, and then started up again. I wish I could have read that little mind.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I decided to leave one church when the parish priest made snippy comments about noisy children. The priest at the parish I currently attend is very laid back about noisy children.
I've made a roast squash salad for dinner. Not at all sure about the dressing, when I tried it a while ago it had a whiff of paint stripper about it. Hopefull it will have mellowed by the time we eat it.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I love TV Heaven in Bradford - watching all the stuff I couldn't watch at home when I was young - some of which is so dreadful that it is good!

Crossroads anyone?

Also slightly crazy local documentaries. There's one about disco dancing in 1970s Doncaster that's reportedly very interesting [Smile]

Re: noisy kids in church. Our old priest always used to say no one was allowed to tut at parents with free range children if they weren't going to help them and that he could always out-yell babies by getting closer to the mic.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
How many pups do you have at church, then Boogie???

Mollie sounds a real darling. Hope she doesn't slurp during the sermon!

Only one - Mollie. I was comparing her to my other three who often had to be taken out when little.

But our minister now looks after four Churches instead of three and the new church has a puppy walker with seven month old Peppi - so no doubt we'll be at a joint service in the near future. That will be interesting!

She slurped during the prayers 🐶🐶

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
How many pups do you have at church, then Boogie???

Mollie sounds a real darling. Hope she doesn't slurp during the sermon!

Only one - Mollie. I was comparing her to my other three who often had to be taken out when little.

But our minister now looks after four Churches instead of three and the new church has a puppy walker with seven month old Peppi - so no doubt we'll be at a joint service in the near future. That will be interesting!

She slurped during the prayers 🐶🐶

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

Re: noisy kids in church. Our old priest always used to say no one was allowed to tut at parents with free range children if they weren't going to help them and that he could always out-yell babies by getting closer to the mic.

The old school ministers were taught to out-yell children without a microphone. It was a problem the first time they worked with a microphone as even the quietly spoken had the volume of the most fervent of hellfire sermons. I think I have sat through this thrice.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do Mollie's slurps during the prayers count as joining in, I wonder?

Aeons ago, I conducted a service of BCP Matins at a church in Tunbridge Wells, and two of the congregation snored gently through my sermon. Their humans stayed awake, though...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All in all, it has been a thoroughly foul weekend. Was out and about on Saturday, finishing the Christmas shopping, taking an age to find the one thing I was looking for.

Decided to pop into the Science Museum where a new maths exhibition has just opened. Only, it was nigh-on a complete misnomer. There was naff all about maths there; it was much more a computing exhibit, with a few interesting bits about weights & measures. But overall, it was a deep disappointment. [Waterworks]

My rat is back, too. Last night, it got through 3 packets of crisps and a pack of 6 crumpets, but avoided 3 glue traps and 2 spring traps baited with jelly babies. [brick wall]

To top it all off, had a thoroughly dispiriting night in the pub where, having recently renewed an old friendship, was regaled with multiple tales of "my-life-is-better-than-yours", all said with an innocent-looking smile. [Tear]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Never mind - there are special circles in Hell reserved for (a) rats, and (b) those egregious 'my-life-is-better-than-yours' so-called friends...

Harry Enfield puts it so well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Kum8OUTuk&nohtml5=False

IJ

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

Decided to pop into the Science Museum where a new maths exhibition has just opened. Only, it was nigh-on a complete misnomer. There was naff all about maths there; it was much more a computing exhibit, with a few interesting bits about weights & measures. But overall, it was a deep disappointment. [Waterworks]

My rat is back, too. Last night, it got through 3 packets of crisps and a pack of 6 crumpets, but avoided 3 glue traps and 2 spring traps baited with jelly babies. [brick wall]

On my last visit to the Science Museum I left the place steaming with rage at the numbskull planning that had gone into reworking some of the galleries - the aircraft gallery was an unspeakably useless abomination and a travesty of the purpose of the museum.

Moving right on to the rats, have you tried peanut butter for bait? It's just about foolproof, and our mice come back again and again for it. Our humane traps function pretty much as a locally popular bed and breakfast establishment for rodents.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

Six crumpets, you have a rat that can eat SIX crumpets, THREE packs of crisps and presumably not only an entire partridge but the tree it came in on top of that!? It must be at least the size of a small pig by now.

Had you thought of baiting the trap with crumpets? It evidently likes them and it's easier than crisps.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Six crumpets, you have a rat that can eat SIX crumpets, THREE packs of crisps and presumably not only an entire partridge but the tree it came in on top of that!? It must be at least the size of a small pig by now.

Had you thought of baiting the trap with crumpets? It evidently likes them and it's easier than crisps.

It's possible that they may have been dragged round the back of the washing machine, as it has done previously with a pair of croissants, though when I then baited the traps with the croissants, nothing happened.

Never tried peanut butter, mainly because it is a monstrous substance. The last time I had it was during a blind taste test I did as a 6 year old, which prompted half an hour of vomiting. And once that had cleared, they then tried me on marmite! [Projectile]

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... It must be at least the size of a small pig ...

[Eek!]

When we had mice in our old house, we used peanut butter in humane (and, in extremis, inhumane) traps, with varying degrees of success. They would catch the odd one, but for the most part I think the mice had got wise to them, and it wasn't unusual to see the wee buggers scuttle along the skirting-board and actually jump over the traps.

[Mad]

Yesterday they were forecasting about 10 cm (4 in.) of sn*w. Well, that was a big, fat lie - we got at least a foot. D. went in to w*rk for a couple of hours (hurrah for snow-tyres!), but until late afternoon I had a very indoor sort of day. I'd made a pot of soup last night for today's lunch (just the right thing for a day like today) and I did some laundry, but I didn't venture out until about 5 in the afternoon, by which time it wasn't coming down with quite such determination.

Oh well, we can't say we weren't warned - everyone told us that New Brunswick gets hotter summers and colder winters than Newfoundland.

And it's not even Christmas yet ... [Waterworks]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... but for the most part I think the mice had got wise to them, and it wasn't unusual to see the wee buggers scuttle along the skirting-board and actually jump over the traps.

That is exactly what happened the last time we were infested with critters. It was like a mouse gymkhana.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday morning we drove to the local airport and collected a [live] body from the Holding Tank, it had arrived from one of the Dominions via Delhi.

It will be with us for a while.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

WW please translate - I don't understand!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He means Uncle Pete has arrived for a visit.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:

Haha - all is now clear, enjoy your stay Uncle Pete!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where's the vote of sympathy for me?

[Waterworks]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Where's the vote of sympathy for me?

[Waterworks]

Hanging chad. [Snigger]

--------------------

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Misha would just like the world to know:
If I never have to pack / lift / carry / see another box of books in my life, it will be too soon.

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's now Tuesday lunchtime and I am still feeling replete after last night's utterly fabulous dinner, a vegetarian feast put on by our veg box suppliers. It really was so good that I am not telling anyone any more about it for fear they get overbooked in the future, but it was truly outstanding.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:

Sings loudly: There is a green land far away!

The pain of the trip is worth the arrival joy! Even the twins came to the airport to meet me, and they are spoilt rotten every time I can get my hands on them. I can tell them apart when they are together, but I fail abysmally when I see one alone. Mr Grumpy old sod sings to them every time he sees them - he even makes trips down from his lair to do so!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Have a good visit, Uncle Pete! Twins are a Joy To The World (we have two sets who visit Our Place for services from time to time).

Meanwhile, back in the UK...

...a most miserable and mirksome day - what is this thing called Sun Shine of which some speak? Praise be to God, I have two large jars of thick, warming, and nourishing vegetable soup. They're from Lithuania, but I'm not proud...

IJ

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Misha, as a former bookseller, and also, until recently, someone who moved house a lot, I deeply feel your pain.

Hope the twins are adjusting to Uncle Pete!

WW, sympathy is all yours.

I'm ruefully contemplating bruising on both knees. Mind you, the first one was well worth the apology from the perpetrator and the look on his face as I spelt out the consequences for me, as an organist, of a broken leg/knee cap. The loss of pay was the one he really understood.. The other bruise on the other knee cap was entirely my own fault!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enjoy the visit and the twins, Uncle Peter - and the warmer weather. I am right in assuming India is warmer than Canada at this time of year?
As a librarian I too knowabout the packing and unpacking of books. It's always worth it in the end though.
I'm just back from a lovely day in Newark. My best friend lives in York and I live in London so Newark is the ideal place for a meet up and mooch. Our favourite wine bar was closed, so I'm making up for the lack of red wine, now I'm back home.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love unpacking book boxes, it's like being reunited with old friends.

When we moved here (5 years ago) we unpacked the books pretty quickly, bought more shelves etc etc, and it really bugged me that there were a handful of books that I just couldn't find. A few months ago I was trying to vaguely declutter the Room of Doom (spare room, general dumping ground) and found a box still to be unpacked. There were my books, it absolutely made my day.

Every time I move I say it's the last time. Which is probably what stops me from decluttering - what's the point if I don't have to pack them up and move them again? But now that I think this house is getting close to Peak Stuff, I think 2017 might be my year of getting ruthless. I'm seriously thinking about digging out some books I know I'm never ever going to read again, and taking them along to our next trip to Barter Books - although I'll get book credits for them, which will possibly dilute the decluttering somewhat.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
... a most miserable and mirksome day - what is this thing called Sun Shine of which some speak?

We had plenty of Sun Shine today, but the temperature still didn't get above -5°C. Love the word "mirksome" - I'll have to find an excuse to use it sometime. [Big Grin]

Uncle Pete - glad to hear you've arrived safely - hope you have a wonderful time and WW looks after you well. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Look after him?

That's an interesting concept, never occurred to me before. Surely at 107 he's learnt to look after himself by now!

Another cold night just gone, so cold I was reduced to wearing socks in bed and I still haven't taken them off - mind you -5C in Fredericton does make me look rather like a wimp.

Okay, I'm a wimp and proud of it.

...and I'm delighted to report that Merseyside Pension Fund managed my change of banks here and I got an SMS last night to say the money has arrived - that means that today's proposed trip to the Hypermarket can go ahead without a qualm.

Bring on the cheese!

--------------------

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
I love unpacking book boxes, it's like being reunited with old friends.

Ah, unpacking books is not, you'll notice, on my list! That will be the enjoyable part of the exercise, although it will make my settling in the new flat take about ten times as long as it ought; naturally, I will be absolutely obliged to sit down and read a good number of the books as they come out. I might possibly have finished unpacking in time for Christmas 2017.

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am still convinced that books breed....

In other news, it is sunny here today (hooray) and I have managed to misplace my Tog 24 rain jacket (sigh). Which means retracing my steps until I find it again. It isn't in church. It isn't in the house...so the only possible place it can be is at the gym...and if it isn't there I will have to buy another, which I don't particularly want to do. Either that or loose 2 stone very quickly so I can do the zip up on my other rain jacket. Fingers crossed...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
I am still convinced that books breed....

I wish they did. But in my home, it's coat hangers that breed. Like books, they're all over the place, though unlike books I don't recall ever having bought one.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Definitely books. I'll do a clean out, or buy a new book case, leaving lots of space for new books. Immediately the book case is crammed full again. They breed like rabbits.

Coat hangers can be taken back to the cleaners for recycling before they have a chance for hanky panky.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Books not only breed, they invite their friends over for orgies.
What multiplies around here is odd socks. I keep all the unmated ones in a pile, and it is huge. Every now and then we have a speed-dating event, in which socks are matched up. The number rarely diminishes.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Washing machines are well-known for eating socks. But only one of the pair.... [Paranoid]

Christmas shopping today in a neighbouring town, and, finding myself in a long queue at the Marks & Spencer checkout, I was pleased to be offered a nice chocolate by one of the nice M & S staff. 'I want to see if I can make you smile', she said. She succeeded. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Plastic storage containers also seem to have spouse-swapping parties and run off with other mates. I always seem to have a quantity of tops without matching bottoms and vice versa. Speed dating events manage to match up a few, but there are always lonely singles left -- I guess that's what human speed dating must be like as well.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is a good task for children. Match up all the pots and lids! and toss the rest.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I usually toss all those non-matched bits of plastic. However, shortly after moving here, I discovered several large containers with no lids. They have come in useful for stacking cleaning supplies etc in the cupboard under sink. Bottles of oils went onto another to catch any drips.

They have been useful, but I know it is time for another clean out. Where are those grandchildren?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It is a good task for children. Match up all the pots and lids! and toss the rest.

No children around here (my dog is no help with such chores), but I seem to be instrumental in turning the British thread into the Decluttering Support Thread. My apologies to the Hosts.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That's all right, Pigwidgeon - it's just a Light Diversion. [Smile]

At the moment we have very little clutter, although we have accumulated quite a bit of stuff since we moved into the flat. Coathangers had to be bought [Eek!] as they weren't something I'd bargained for when packing the essentials last July (although in fairness, they don't appear to have done any breeding), and because we're both fairly avid readers (especially D., who even takes a book into the bath*), we've had to acquire a fair number of books.

Also, today we replaced the cheap, lightweight Dutch oven we got a couple of years ago with one that was almost as cheap, but is a bit more substantial. I used it this afternoon to make kedgeree to take to the Cathedral band's pot-luck party, and it really went down rather well (but there's just enough left for tomorrow's lunch).

* and yesterday dropped it in. Of course, it was one of mine rather than one of his ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Can I offer reassurance - even Hosts [Angelic though they undoubtedly appear most of the time] have their weaknesses and also need to declutter things occasionally - particularly the fairly high quality [and b****y expensive] plastic tubs with the lockable lids - if the lids can be spotted! Sometimes they hide behind the cylinders of cooking gas just to confuse me.

The fact that they live on an open wire shelving system above the cooking gas cylinders is possibly part of the problem here.

Which reminds me that on our trip to the Hypermarket yesterday I failed to buy any new plastic tubs with the lockable lids - silly WW! But I did buy a lot of cheese - far more important than plastic tubs with lockable lids.

Himself was looking to buy a Micro SD card whilst there but I dissuaded him and we bought the same item, and >10% cheaper, in our local village in the evening - massive malls might carry more stock but...

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
..... I have managed to misplace my Tog 24 rain jacket (sigh). Which means retracing my steps until I find it again. It isn't in church. It isn't in the house...so the only possible place it can be is at the gym....

My sympathies - my lovely new raincoat went missing, and after retracing my steps and making many phone calls I resigned myself to getting another. Then I found it in the wardrobe where it lives out of season (although is a raincoat ever out of season in England?) - doh.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, daisydaisy, you are pretty much coastal where you live so it might be a tad damper than some other parts - so realistically a raincoat is probably rarely out of season there, a bit like some folks here carry an umbrella most of the time; sometimes for rain and sometimes for shade, but always for the weather!

I meant to mention earlier that yesterday, when we got back from our trip to The Mall, I thought to lie down for half an hour - and woke up 3 hours later!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Misty and murky here today.

The crimbleweed is up - about time too! 🌲 🌲 🌲

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The answer to the problem of socks - well, men's socks anyway - is to buy several pairs of identical ones at the same time.

This morning was grey and dank - there's another word to match mirksome - but this afternoon it was tamping down, and I got soaked going to my Welsh lesson. I could have said "mae'n bwrw hen rhagydd a ffin" - "it's raining old ladies and sticks" or "it's chucking it down!"

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
The answer to the problem of socks - well, men's socks anyway - is to buy several pairs of identical ones at the same time.

That's true. D. subscribed for a while to something called Brit-socks which sent him three pairs of identical black socks every three months (or something of the sort).

The last time he bought socks in any quantity (in M&S) he got ones with coloured toes and heels, so the post-laundry Pelmanism was made much easier.

In other news, according to Environment Canada, the temperature here's going down to -22° tonight, with a wind-chill of -35.

I might have to turn the heating up a wee bit ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I hope D.'s socks are really thick ...

IJ

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016