homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vespucciana-- USA 2016 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vespucciana-- USA 2016
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was suggested that I explain that Amerigo Vespucci is the 15th century cartographer from whom the word "America" comes, and if someone were in a different frame of mind we might be living in Vespucciland today. [Big Grin]

Anyhow, what's new?

[Spelled name wrong! KA]

[ 01. January 2016, 18:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great title.

The year is new - of course! [Roll Eyes] [Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well Gee Howdy Shucks, Boogie, thanks for the update! [Yipee]

[Biased]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did anyone see the Northern Lights last night? They were supposed to be visible as far south as Northern California due to a solar storm, but I didn't find out until this morning.

We had clear skies, but with the house behind us setting off full-sized fireworks, and the cold wind, it wouldn't have been the ideal night for watching. But they don't get even as far south as 45 degrees very often.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I did see the moonrise last night-- gorgeous-- and noticed then that, for our area, the sky was crystal clear and the stars unusually visible. But didn't catch the Northern lights. Ah, well.

The last sunset of the year in Pacifica, CA was spectacular, and given the consistancy of beautiful sunsets in Pacifica, that is a statement to be noted. The cloud formation made it look like there was an incoming iceberg on the horizon, all jagged and linear.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy new year and new thread to all my chums to the south!

Love the thread title - absolutely inspired! [Overused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello all, great title for the coming year. Rain rain rain in my neck of the map. Much needed as we are way low on the water table. Now they are speaking of floods, pumps and sandbags before the season is over. Thankfully we are high on a hill. In case I can not get to town I am prepared. I have dog food, water, gin and toilet paper. That should cover it.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
... I have dog food, water, gin and toilet paper. That should cover it.

Now there's someone who's got their priorities right! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree but don't waste the GIN on the dog!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here in SoCal the first real El Nino storm is supposed to move in Sunday evening, with two more following hard on its heels. I'm kind of excited! Real rain!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And already the year is off to an interesting start...

Oregon doesn't make the news all that often compared to many other states, but now a militia group has taken over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. These appear to be from outside the area, some of whom were involved in a previous standoff with authorities in Nevada. Other reports have said these are part of a Mormon splinter group and the leader is referred to as "Captain Moroni".

An interesting sidelight is the choice of terms used: why are whites occupying a federal building called a "militia", while in other circumstances (especially for non-white participants) they might be called "terrorists"?

(And the best alternative term for such groups: "Y'all-qaeda".)

So far, a lot of restraint, a bit of humor, and no particular rush to do anything. And, of course, "Malheur" means "bad luck" in French...

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:

(And the best alternative term for such groups: "Y'all-qaeda".)

Nice. Very nice.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It has been pouring here in Southern California yesterday and on into the night. Thunder and lightening as we'll. haven't had this much rain in years.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lots of rain here over the past few days and temperatures at D Towers have not got above 16C. Better forecast though.

It may be a whole week into the new year and this new thread, but every time I see the title, I read a combination of Vespa and Pucci. Probably treasonous to you.

Deleted identical second post for you.

Lothorien AS Host

[ 07. January 2016, 10:39: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There were very moist-looking pictures of southern California and LA on the Weather Channel here this morning - partially-submerged cars and the whole bit. Not the sort of weather I'd really associate with your part of the world.

Hope you're all safe. [Votive]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

It's kinda one of those things where you keep gritting your teeth and muttering, "we need the rain..."

You know what's fun? Reminding a school of 30 preschoolers that " we need the rain" when they are stuck inside for a solid week. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know we need it here in Arizona as well, but I'm getting really tired of the torrential downpours that California has sent over to us. A few minutes ago I discovered that I have a roof leak and ceiling damage.
[Mad]

I keep telling myself that the flower seeds I scattered this fall will be enjoying this -- January showers bring March flowers?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

California sent? Honey, our mountain ranges are probably thinning it out a little for you.

( Boy am I glad I live on a hill. At least until it slides.)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

RE: damage-- one of the kids at the school yesterday was organizing this ferocious dramatic play involving everyone in her " family" ( she was the "mom") going to bed and then being roused by police cars. There was also a lot of jettisoning of clothing and furniture from the "bedroom." When I asked her about it, it turned out cops had come to help out when her lower level HUD apartment had gotten swamped. (This housing development is at the bottom of a valley.)

(Unfortunately in this neighborhood there are too many reasons to panic when the cops come around.)

[ 07. January 2016, 17:55: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(When I came over to ask what she was playing, she turned her Mom voice on me: "Teacher, you need to shut up, we're sleeping!"

It was an honest mistake, she was trying to directly translate from Spanish. I gently gave her a more appropriate way to phrase her request. [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I sometimes wish we could sort of tilt the world, so that the water and the drought get a bit more evened out; it seems that no sooner have some places got over the winter floods than they're coping with dust storms and forest fires.

[Votive] for all who have the wrong sort of weather.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I sometimes wish we could sort of tilt the world, so that the water and the drought get a bit more evened out

I had much the same thought last summer when I took the train from San Francisco to Chicago. California was in the middle of a terrible drought, so my trip started out with parched landscapes. When we got to the Midwest, going through Nebraska and Iowa, there was flooded field after flooded field. Sad.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why can't they build a gigantic network of pipelines between flood-prone and drought-prone sections of the country?

Answer: Because there's no money in moving water -- just oil.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From Saturday evening until yesterday evening, I had two inches of rain here. Saturday, there was also a tornado near Daughter-Unit's home. Lots of damage, but fortunately no serious injuries. This is not our typical January weather.

As I was traveling a local rural road this morning, it looked more July-ish in the landscape. Fields and forests with standing water everywhere, some quite deep.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

POWERBALL!!!! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Anybody else not win it last night? [Big Grin]

I just bought a car today, opting to trade in the Little Dodge Neon that Could. I am now the owner of a Hyundai Accent.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought of you Kelly when I saw how much it was. Better luck next time.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Big Grin] I certainly am rich in friends.

Anyway, I figure I would be one of those people who would drop dead of a heart attack once I found out I'd won.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dropping dead on the spot might be an improvement on the fate of some of the earlier winners.

I bought a couple of tickets, and had the thought that a lot of local people know me.

Anyway, I didn't win.

Congrats on the car, Kel!

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It seems to me that with that kind of money, you could go off and start your own new country.

Health to drive your new car, Kelly! [Smile]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Anyway, I figure I would be one of those people who would drop dead of a heart attack once I found out I'd won.

Like Ned Devine?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did not buy a ticket. I could honestly say I would not want to win. It would be to much trouble at this stage of life. Happy getting by on my retirement check. On second thought a full time house keeper would be nice.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

In other news, have the rest of you been following the popular ascencion of Miss Edith Childs? Facebook and Twitter is blowing up over her.

I can provide a link later, right now I am on iPad.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me! I'm joining the rest of the non-winners!! I only bought a ticket because D-U asked me to. I am not lucky.

However, D-U is lucky in the important things. We've had two tornadoes this week, one was close to her home and the one yesterday was very, very close to where she works. They lost power at home and work, but were unharmed.

This is much, much better than winning a lottery, IMHO.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
In other news, have the rest of you been following the popular ascencion of Miss Edith Childs? Facebook and Twitter is blowing up over her.

I can provide a link later, right now I am on iPad.

I'd love to see some, Kelly. I caught one blog essay about this grand old woman's very elegant attire for the State of the Union address. It was hilarious, especially because of the contrast with Kim Davis, who arrived looking like she just got off a fundamentalist Mormon compound in the Nevada desert.

(That's probably a little mean-spirited for AS. Mea culpa.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ooh, you should have seen how they flamed that poor women on Awesomely Luvvie's blog. They didn't just do the dozens on her, they did a dozen dozens.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly Alves wrote:
quote:
I just bought a car today, opting to trade in the Little Dodge Neon that Could. I am now the owner of a Hyundai Accent.
Kelly, Mrs BA has owned three Hyundais, being two Elantras and now an Accent, which is currently on loan to our son after his car's engine blew up. I also owned an Elantra LaVita MPV. All of them were great value, and did not miss a beat in thousands of miles of travel.

What colour did you choose? Mrs BA has sunflower yellow, as she says she can then find it in the mall parking lot.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dorrie
Apprentice
# 16062

- Posted      Profile for Dorrie   Email Dorrie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place--I'm new to this. My mom, Moo, asked me to let her fellow US Ship of Fools friends know that she has been in the hospital but is now out (in a rehabilitation facility) and hopes to make a full recovery. She had pneumonia and severe sepsis that landed her in the hospital; she's now working to regain the strength she lost in her illness so she can get back to her normal routine. I know she would appreciate your prayers, although she won't be online here until she gets home in a few weeks.
Posts: 1 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Thank you for letting us know! Get better, Moo! [Votive]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes indeed - holding you in the Light, Moo.

[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for healing for Moo. [Votive]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Amen! [Votive]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Healing for Moo and comfort for Dorrie and Moo's family and friends.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Welcome, Dorrie! Thank you for letting us know about your mother. Be assured of my prayers for Moo, and for her family as well.

[Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Dorrie. Take care, Moo, and recover quickly.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Prayers of a speedy recovery for Moo.
jedijudy

# 333

[Votive] For Moo, healing and strength!

--------------------

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's hoping all the shipmates on the East Coast are managing to stay warm and dry -- looks like quite the doozy of a storm blowing your way today!
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is blizzing here hard, the wind blowing the snow around so that it drifts. About 2 feet deep in the front yard. I took the tray from the bird feeder in last night, to keep it from filling up with snow. This morning the birds were tapping on the glass -- where's breakfast, Mom? So I put it out again and they're steadily coming.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
Here's hoping all the shipmates on the East Coast are managing to stay warm and dry

Agreed

Motherboard and I escaped from Washington on Thursday, after experiencing the Wednesday night flurry that had us driving at 5mph. We have a bet for $5 on 12" - she was believing the forecasts.

While we were there Motherboard set up a mini-meet, contacting four shipmates met on previous visits. Suddenly I notice more DC names; we should have announced the plan and tried for a crowd. Maybe next trip, whenever that is.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This morning the birds were tapping on the glass -- where's breakfast, Mom? So I put it out again and they're steadily coming.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016