homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vespucciana-- USA 2016 (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vespucciana-- USA 2016
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Although I grew up despising Nebraska football, I am super excited to watch the Husker game with me daughter and in laws tomorrow. It pains me to say it, but Go Big Red!

The other plan for tomorrow is to go to Bass Pro Shop and score discount orange cold weather gear before the Broncos game on Sunday night, to which I have tickets.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Mama, have you ever tried Trader Joe's chevre/ dried cranberry log? Absolutely to die for.

I love that -- I’ve served it at home and taken it to parties.

Yes! It's wonderful and I serve it at Christmas. Yum!

Loth, the baby brocconcini is a new one for me (but apparently not for my phone, which autofilled it right away). I will look for it.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mamacita, I make the same mistake every time I go looking for it. They are called BAMBINI BOCCONCINI. Of course, what else? [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Oh, and tomorrow I turn 48. PAR-TAY!!! (hack cough choke)

Happy birthday! And I hope you're feeling better.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Getting there. Thanks, Ruth. And Happy Birthday in advance. ( or was it yesterday?)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Forgot to say the other day - happy birthday Kelly. Hope you're feeling much better.

Happy birthday Ruth too. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK. Who sent all this cold to us? Hmmm? It is 60 degrees here, and it's after 1:00PM!!!!

I think it might snow.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today's high has not hit 40 degrees. It is to be hoped that next week the cold will moderate.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Today's high has not hit 40 degrees. It is to be hoped that next week the cold will moderate.

Slight tangent, but what do you all think the chances are of the TFO getting the USA converted to Celsius at last? Many of our readers are probably wondering why you think 40 degrees is cold, Brenda.

I understand the story is that we were on the brink of converting during Ronald Reagan's presidency but that Reagan couldn't understand the Celsius system and so the change was abandoned.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
( adjusts thermostat. Thanks for the reminder)

Dear Chicago peeps-- I just discovered a pizza place that does Chicago deep dish. And that delivers! (Blue Line Pizza.)

Not as good as the real thing, but definitely not West Coast deep dish

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does the Celsius system rate for sexual attractiveness? No? Then does it make money? If not, then I think it's fair to say that it will not obtrude upon the TFO's notice.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bring back thermometers with naked ladies on them -- that should do it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... It is 60 degrees here, and it's after 1:00PM!!!!

I think it might snow.

My heart bleeds for you. It's 18°F here. [Devil]

Just as well someone gave me a furry coat* whose owner doesn't need it any more.

* fake - I'd really rather not wear a real one - but nice and warm all the same.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
My heart bleeds for you. It's 18°F here. [Devil]

Yeah, yeah. I'm feeling the love. [Two face]

We do have pseudo snow of a sort! It's Richardia brasiliensis, which looks like light lavender snow. It's a weed, but I love it, and so do honey bees! Bees are some of my favorite creatures!

Purple snow.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snow, snow, and more snow here: the real, non-purple kind. Part of me likes it because it actually looks like December now, but part of me doesn't because I have to drive 25 miles to play in a concert this afternoon.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Concert here too this afternoon, the third and last of the Christmas season for our choral group. No snow -- temperature is predicted to be 70 degrees F. The most serious hazard we'll have to cope with are repairs being done to the main road leading to the concert venue due to a water main break earlier this week.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Environment Canada's offering us another 10cm (about 4 inches) of snow tomorrow, which will be a pain, but still not a huge lot by local standards ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Come down here Piglet. No snow for a change. Rowen's way has had several snowfalls in December, a bit higher than where she lives.

However, Sydney is in for a couple of days of 36° C and a promise or perhaps a threat that the afternoon sea breeze from east will be wiped out by heat from west. That will raise the temperature somewhat and in the west of the city, it will be hotter again. I am just about to water the plants on my balcony and will put the balcony blinds down this afternoon.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Dear Chicago peeps-- I just discovered a pizza place that does Chicago deep dish. And that delivers! (Blue Line Pizza.)

Not as good as the real thing, but definitely not West Coast deep dish

Yay! There are many variations of Chicago Deep Dish, so as long as it's good, who needs to be a purist? Also, Blue Line is a good Chicago name (says the purple line girl).

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
Snow, snow, and more snow here: the real, non-purple kind. Part of me likes it because it actually looks like December now, but part of me doesn't because I have to drive 25 miles to play in a concert this afternoon.

Chicago is about to send you more. (probably 4" here with more coming overnight).

It's one of those flour-sifter snows. Nothing heavy, no bitter wind, just a slow and steady downpour of white stuff, hour after hour.

PS: Safe travels!

[ 12. December 2016, 03:11: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Also, Blue Line is a good Chicago name (says the purple line girl).

I knew you would like that! [Axe murder]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just in case you were wondering there is no snow here is southern India...

...it is cool though, well under 30C [Eek!]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Chicago is about to send you more ...

Oh, is that where it came from? [Paranoid]

Actually the 4-inch forecast was a big, fat lie - we got at least a foot.

[Frown]

--------------------

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This was quite a weekend.

Light Among the Ruins
Every year the State Park that preserves a 17th-century Franciscan ruin lights the ruins with farolitos for one night during the Christmas season. After we got snowed out last year, finally we attended and photographed. We came early to get a good parking place, helped light the candles in the farolitos, photographed while the ruins still had some light, and left before the crowd got so big that all we could photograph was other photographers.

Las Posadas in the Santa Fe Plaza
A Hispanic custom in which Mary and Joseph go from house to house seeking shelter in Bethlehem, rejected and ridiculed by devils (or people personifying social problems one year) until they finally find the appropriate place. In this case the devils used the portal around the plaza as a stage, and the appropriate house was the Palace of the Governors (oldest public building in the US) where Mary and Joseph and the accompanying choir and mariachi band and crowd of the faithful were welcomed with apple juice and cookies.

Both nights we dressed in multiple layers and still felt frozen.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday we got a dusting of snow, no more, just enough to stick in places. It was gone today.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Thanks for sharing your photos, JB!

Winter is over. We've been in the 80s recently. We still have purple pseudo snow!

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was a docent at La Misión de La Purísima Concepción de María Santísima near Lompoc we used to hold candlelight tours for our founding day in early December. For me, appropriate costume involved going barefoot, sometimes in near-freezing weather. It was a beautiful place, even if I didn't get much of a chance to admire it from the outside during the events.
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
La Misión de La Purísima Concepción de María Santísima is in much better repair than San Jose de los Jemez. But then, it was abandoned 148 years before La Purisima was founded and at the time Jemez Pueblo considered it an instrument of Spanish imperialism. Some still do.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Then again, La Purisima was rebuilt at least twice, once on a new site following the 1812 earthquakes, and a second time by CCC crews in the 1930s. Because it had been abandoned / sold to other interests in the meantime, no pueblo grew up around it, which is why it is unique among the California Missions (except for one other still in ruins) that it isn't hemmed in by a modern city.

At least that's what I remember of the story from many years ago.

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I envy those of you in the Southwest right now! Here it's 12 degrees with relentless snow. School's been cancelled, of course, so Mrs. Salicional has to entertain the stir-crazy children while I'm at work.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

The rest of you are celebrating Christmas. I believe we're having the Fourth of July. Yesterday, we shattered the all time forever December high temperature. It was 91°!!! [Eek!] With the humidity, it felt like 95.

Can we possibly send you all some of our extra heat, and you send us some coolness? I'm putting in an order for 75°, if you would be so kind. Maybe 50° in the morning.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's currently -6°C (20°F) here; I'd still rather have Salicional's 12°F than your 91°, JJ!
[Eek!]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

I'm torn...91° is very uncomfortable...but anything below 50° is even more uncomfortable for me. [Frown]

But then, my blood is very thin!! No need for sassafras tea!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I suppose tolerance of heat (and cold) is very much a matter of what you're used to. I found the summers in Newfoundland very oppressive - the combination of temperatures in the mid-20s Centigrade (high 70s/low 80s Fahrenheit) and high humidity was very uncomfortable.

When we moved to Fredericton everyone said the summers would be noticeably hotter and the winters considerably colder, and I was bracing myself for much more discomfort. As it turned out, because the heat was rather drier in the summer, I found I could cope a bit better (with the help of air-conditioning!); and while we've certainly had colder temperatures in the last week or so than I've ever experienced before, it doesn't seem to be bothering me as much as I might have thought.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I remember visiting Iceland in August. It was about 60 degrees and so windy you could lean on the breeze. I put on every garment I owned; the stores were selling thick Icelandic woolens and I was seriously tempted to buy. However the natives were happily hiking around in shorts and tee shirts, enjoying the warmth.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
I remember visiting Iceland in August. It was about 60 degrees and so windy you could lean on the breeze. I put on every garment I owned; the stores were selling thick Icelandic woolens and I was seriously tempted to buy. However the natives were happily hiking around in shorts and tee shirts, enjoying the warmth.

Pity you didn't. Icelandic woolens are simply marvelous! I bought a sweater in Reykjavik that kept me toasty warm through several New York winters . . . until I made the mistake of washing it.

When I was young, it was considered decidedly non-macho for boys or men to wear shorts, even in the most sweltering heat. Now you see them on everybody even in the dead of winter.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
I remember visiting Iceland in August. It was about 60 degrees and ... the natives were happily hiking around in shorts and tee shirts, enjoying the warmth.

You make that sound as if it's somehow strange. 60°F is just over 15°C, which is about the temperature that my cropped jeans and sandals come out.

[Devil]

Re: Icelandic woollies - I knitted one when I was in my late teens and they'd just become fashionable, and it saw me through two winters in Aberdeen, which can be jolly cold.

The second time we went to Reykjavik I bought one, but TBH I rarely found it cold enough to justify it (and I've expanded somewhat since then [Hot and Hormonal] ), so when we moved here it went to the charity shop.

[ 22. December 2016, 21:22: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

An Icelandic woolen sweater can be wonderfully warm. The loose spin tends to make them pill, however (Scottish fair-isle yarn is spun much tighter). Unless you live in a Northern clime you are unlikely to need more than one, and I have one already. It's thick enough almost to stand on its own, and I can wear it only on the most bitter winter days.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's 2 January 2017 so I'm closing this thread and ask whoever wants to do so to start and name a new USA thread when the spirit so moves them.

WW - AS Host.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016