homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vespucciana-- USA 2016 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vespucciana-- USA 2016
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reporting from South Central Pennsylvania, where we're having the Much-Touted Blizzard. Hard to tell whether the snow in the air is new-fall or blown in on the wind. Also hard to tell the depth of snow we officially have; everything is heaped up in drifts, or blown low in between.

It looks like someone has driven up the road, but I doubt this 'back road' has seen a plow yet.

All is well; well, well enough except with my little Jack Russell terrier to whom I am Permanent Adoptive Mother. For him the snow is nasty, and I am wicked for trying to force him out into it. Hey, life is hard sometimes.

Any blizzard stories out there?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My employers have closed for the day, which is a small miracle. Enjoying the snow day. Sadly, I do have to go out in it at some point to try and get some supplies. Fortunately I'm walking, not driving.

The buses are shut down, subways are running but with delays.

They are talking of possibly up to 30 inches.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
30 inches??? [Eek!]

[Votive] that you all stay safe, and when you're finished with it, don't send it to us! [Two face]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile on the West Coast...

I used to live right across the street from that bluff.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know we haven't heard from Comet in quite a while -- just wondering if anyone other Shipmates are affected by the earthquake in Alaska.
Luckily no major damage or injury has been reported, but they're having aftershocks. [Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

In a place that will soon have a nice view. [Big Grin]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah,but only for about ten years or so...

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've heard from Comet via Facebook that she's OK; she's far enough away from things to be safe, but has been watching it with, um ... interest.

[Votive] for those who are closer to it.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I've heard from Comet via Facebook that she's OK; she's far enough away from things to be safe, but has been watching it with, um ... interest.

[Votive] for those who are closer to it.

Thanks for letting us know.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

[Eek!] There were people standing and sightseeing in what was left of the building! What were they thinking???

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
[Eek!] There were people standing and sightseeing in what was left of the building! What were they thinking???

Probably about the youtube videos they were busy recording.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I'm also amazed that the article says that "Some homeowners have evacuated their homes as a precaution."

Some?!?
[Eek!]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

It's a two block or so stretch of homes-- some are out of the slippage zone, but are still close enough for people to nope out of there.

The buildings themselves, the apartments right along that specific section of the cliff, have been vacant for at least a year. More, I think.Those people you see are either workers trying to assess the damage, or local lookie-loos. (To give you an idea how clueless this faction has been during these last few weeks, the first report of the unusually high tides saw a concurrent rise in people practicing for Maverick's (the big NoCal surf competition in spring. One poor fool got swept into the surf last week.)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

By the way, that row of pebbles you see along the bottom of the cliff is the city's idea of a "sea wall." It was put up after the last El Nino, when the same cliff lost several feet. Just to give you an idea what the housing situation is like around here, the "remodeled" apartments in the reddish, southernmost building you see in the video were offered at about $1200/ mo for a one bedroom.

(In writing this, it occurs to me maybe some people were desperate enough to squat in those buildings. [Frown] )

[ 26. January 2016, 03:42: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:

Candidates for a Darwin award?

I was glad to hear from my middle brother in New York city. He and his partner are OK, but their cats are Not Amused.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are supposed to get one to three inches of rain tomorrow. Already, this month is the wettest January ever! My place has had over eight and a half inches so far. This is supposed to be the dry season!

Mind you, I'm not complaining. If the wildfires are prevented, I'll be a happy camper! My folks live in an outlying area with lots of trees. It's beautiful, but could be dangerous as you all understand.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It won't be any consolation but December 2015 was the wettest on record in the UK too. It was also the warmest, which gives a clue about what global warming will mean in the short-medium term.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yeah, people have been wondering if the big ass waves are the harbingers of the New Global Warming Coastline.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That is one v. scary video.

It makes me wonder though - how close to the cliff-edge were the houses when they were built?

You'd have thought that the planners/architects/whatever might have realised that there was a chance of them being swept away.

Wouldn't you?

[ 27. January 2016, 14:28: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Today, the Ibis Bug Exterminators are eliminating pests in my yard! The birds are just beautiful, and are fun to watch. They vacuum the back, then they go to the front to do their work, and off to the back again. I counted 23 of them. Right now they are between me and the western neighbor, wading in the water standing in the swale (the weatherman was right), and browsing for bugs there.

A couple of years ago, D-U had a flock of ibis in her yard as she was getting ready to leave for work. She tried to get into her car, and they started following her and tried to get into the car with her! Her neighbors stood outside and laughed.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps it is a pond difference, Judy, but down here the ibis are pests. Enormous, dirty grey or brown pests which sit on the edge of bins in parks to fish out rubbish. They have a raucous call and spend time here fighting the sea gulls for scrap. Disgusting birds.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Houses built on the shore are inherently risky. There are houses built on Fire Island, a barrier island near New York City. The row of beachfront houses used to be 3 rows back, but the front two rows have been devoured by the ocean.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
These homes aren't just on the shore - they're at the top of a cliff.

The apartments were built in 1961. Chronicle story.

I just dug up the abstract of an American Society of Civil Engineers report here: http: //ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/40512(289)22 (Can't link it because of the parens, but you'll know what to do.) The report says that the cliff has been retreating 1.5 - 2 feet per year for 146 years. It's crazy to build things there, but of course that never stopped humans before.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Can't find nicer folk than the people who live there, though, despite the stupidity of their city planners. If it does not pain you , spare them a prayer.

Judy, I think ibisis- ibisi-- ibisisisis are pretty, too.

[ 28. January 2016, 04:28: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Just to move this along to broader aspects of Americana-- I just got done watching Woodstock for the umpteenth time. I never took the time to appreciate the Port-o-San worker they interviewed doing his daily rounds. Just think about that for a minute. A Port-o-San worker. At Woodstock. Mad respect.

Don't take the brown acid, and you're welcome for the ear worm.

[ 28. January 2016, 07:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Perhaps it is a pond difference, Judy, but down here the ibis are pests. Enormous, dirty grey or brown pests which sit on the edge of bins in parks to fish out rubbish. They have a raucous call and spend time here fighting the sea gulls for scrap. Disgusting birds.

Kelly and I might have different versions of ibis from you, Lothlorien! My (I guess they belong to me!) adults are white, and the juveniles are brown and white. They eat pests! Our sea gulls can be big pains in the tushie. They will even steal a sandwich right out of your mouth if you don't watch out!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm gonna admit the ones I see are at the zoo. They are about two feet tall and are bright pink, due to being fed only shrimp.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have seen American white ibis in the park in St. Louis.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Ibis crew.
Adults and juveniles doing their thing!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have Black-Headed Ibis here, beautiful birds!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm gonna admit the ones I see are at the zoo. They are about two feet tall and are bright pink, due to being fed only shrimp.

Is that like flamingos needing to be fed something (?shrimps?) to retain their pink colour?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No ibises (ibes?) in Brazil. Many great egrets though.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Speaking of flamingos...

That's a big pink bird! I think it proves God has a sense of humor! Maybe I'll take a little ride and see if he's there later today.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was once surrounded by flamingos at Martin Mere just north of Liverpool - they stood about as tall as me and were a bit intimidating - feed them and they're happy.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
No ibises (ibes?) in Brazil. Many great egrets though.

Egrets... I've had a few...

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Groan!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a very funny experience today. I went to a gathering in which I was a new member. Looked at one lady and thought my she looks old. She soon said, "Well I guess I am still the oldest member here unless maybe Graven Image who has just joined us might be older. [Eek!] Here am I thinking I am not so old and that no way do I appear to be my age then come to find out we are just a year apart. The more I thought about it the funner it became. First me thinking I don't look old, second the other women drawing attention to my age and requesting I state it to all, ( what in the world made her do that?) and third the funniest of all was me being happy to be a year younger then her. Oh vanity how sharp thy sting. Graven Image leaves to apply extra layer of night cream.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Quotes file, Kelly! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Graven Image, for you:

(Scene: Kelly at a previous job at an after school care. She is looking over Pokemon cards with a kid who looks like a ten year old version of Chris Rock. He is the last one left.)

Kid: How old are you?
Kel: 33 [at the time]
( enter kid's mom, juggling purse, coat and carkeys. She sets these down and opens her mouth to greet the teachers.)
Kid: (grinning ear to ear) 33? You look like you're NINETY YEARS OLLLDDD.
(Mom gasps in the background. Kelly moves in quickly)

Kelly: THAT'S. 'CAUSE I WORK. WITH YOU.

The mom was apologizing all over herself, but I assured her the insult was worth the opportunity to return that line. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well done Kelly. [Overused]

Anyone in authority (parent, teacher, whatever) is always old to a primary-school age child. After I left school, I went into my old primary school to do "observation" before going to college to do a teaching course. On the last day of term I was with a Primary 7 class (12-year-olds) and we were having one of those end-of-term general discussion sort of things. One bright wee spark said "Miss Piglet, how old are you?", and I asked them how old they thought I was (I was 18).

They started at 40 and worked their way down. [Eek!]

Maybe it's just as well I didn't finish the course ...

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My very intelligent eldest son was about fifteen when Halleys Comet made its appearance after however many years. My mother was most offended when he asked her if it was better this time around than the one before. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, man. [Killing me]

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great come back Kelly. I remember when my mother had her 40th birthday and I was 10 I could not understand how I could have a mother that old. I was worried she might not live long enough to finish raising me. She lived to 93 by the way.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

The LA Times -- doing a better job than the local papers (no surprise there!) -- has an article on the Pacifica cliffs. Some good photos and a bit of history.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear. At the end of a very frazzled day I was stumbling off to bed when my dear, dear son said something snarky. I misheard him, thought he was saying a blessing, and thanked him warmly.

Now feeling guilty, he tried to bless me for real--using the end-of-worship one, "The Lord bless and keep you". And did pretty well until he got to "The Lord lift up his
continence upon you"...

When I burst out laughing, he tried again. This time we got "competence." After we hit "constipation," we gave it up as a bad job.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
The Lord bless and keep you . . . The Lord lift up his continence upon you.

Definitely one for the SOF Quotes File. I should frame it and post it in the dining room at my father's nursing home.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
... I should frame it and post it in the dining room at my father's nursing home.

[Killing me] [Overused] [Killing me]

eta: I've put the whole thing, with Amanda B's response, in the Quotes File - it definitely merits preservation! [Smile]

[ 10. February 2016, 00:54: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

On the "I Remember" thread in Heaven, Chamois wrote about the dawn chorus. Before asthma was such a nuisance in my life, I could hear that chorus through the open windows. Unfortunately in order to keep pollen and various other things out of the house, the windows are almost always closed and I miss hearing the birds and honey bees and such things.

This morning, when I took the recycling out to the street, the sun was shining, and the birds were singing. I just stood and basked in the sound of cardinals, robins, boat-tailed grackles, blue-gray gnatcatchers, woodpeckers, bluejays and the occasional squirrel fussing at a neighborhood cat. The gnatcatchers were flitting around my head in the elm tree, and ibises were flying overhead.

A perfect few minutes!

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

It's lovely to hear the spring and summer birds when it's still winter. Just one or two, not a whole chorus, but still [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] .

Had an embarrassing moment last night at Ash Wednesday service. We had the general confession, and then everyone was supposed to come up for individual absolution and ashes. I wound up kneeling right in the middle of the communion rail lineup, with the two host congregation pastors ashing people to the left and the right. As each came to me, they apparently decided that I was in the other one's territory, so left off ashing and went back to to start their own area all over again!

Once I'd been passed over four times, I gave up and walked down.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Nice job, guys. [Roll Eyes]

At what point is a Lutheran allowed to go "AHEM!"

[ 11. February 2016, 18:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016