homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vespucciana-- USA 2016 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vespucciana-- USA 2016
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only if they brought a casserole up to the rail with them?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Invisibility. It's my superpower.

(Seriously, I could have gone AHEM! but was tired and cranky and couldn't be bothered.)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Invisibility. It's my superpower ...

D. and I had a bit of that in a rather upmarket (and extremely up-itself) restaurant once. A group came in some time after we did, and the staff were all over them like a hot rash, while almost completely ignoring us, prompting me to suggest that we take our Invisibility Cloaks off.

We didn't go back, and were mildly gratified when the restaurant didn't last. [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, yes, indeed. When I lived in Los Angeles, I used to dine regularly at a very popular restaurant. I always sat at the counter, and the waiters all recognized me.

One night I ordered my meal plus an iced tea. The waiter brought the meal, but no tea. When I asked about it, he said, "You should have ordered it with the meal; I can't be running back and forth." "I did," I replied, "but you may not have heard me."

In a few minutes, another customer came in and sat at the counter. The waiter took his order and brought it out. "Oh, can I have an iced tea also?" the customer then asked. The waiter brought it without comment.

I left no tip that night and I refused to sit at that waiter's station upon subsequent visits. When another waiter asked me why, I told him.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have never understood why some waitstaff argue with a polite reminder of a missing or alternate item. First of all, even if the customer was totally wrong, it takes longer to have the argument than to fulfil the request, and second, a substitution request is a notorious mystery diner trick.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is like a punch in the stomach.

Bev Bos was one of the loudest voices for child-centered preschool programs that the nation ever had. I owe a huge percentage of everything I believe as a teacher to her. May she rise in glory. [Votive]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ay, i'm sorry. [Frown]

Just finished nightly Bible reading with smart ass son, who is almost ready to board the Ship. I said (of 2 Sam 2) "we'll stop here for tonight and you'll see what happens to Abner tomorrow," to which he replied enthusiastically, "Does he die a horrid death? Everybody in the Bible dies a horrid death! Struck or eaten or killed in battle. Eaten by dogs, stoned, crucified, killed by the presence of the Lord ..."

I'm raising a theological smart ass.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

He'll fit right in.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Hey, that's my job.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Ay, i'm sorry. [Frown]

Just finished nightly Bible reading with smart ass son, who is almost ready to board the Ship. I said (of 2 Sam 2) "we'll stop here for tonight and you'll see what happens to Abner tomorrow," to which he replied enthusiastically, "Does he die a horrid death? Everybody in the Bible dies a horrid death! Struck or eaten or killed in battle. Eaten by dogs, stoned, crucified, killed by the presence of the Lord ..."

This is about deaths in Shakespeare plays (they've left out a few), but maybe your s. a. son could make a similar one for Biblical deaths.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

He just looked at it and burst out laughing. Now he's making plans...

(He's a Shakespeare fan too)

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Really looking forward to seeing it! [Devil] [Snigger] [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The news is too often depressing in the US. But read this. And be proud you are an American!

If you have not seen the shot, follow the link in the story to the image of the little boy rubbing Barack Obama's head.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, man. [Tear]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can think of few politicians who so consistently come over as Jolly Nice People as Mr. and Mrs. Obama - you're right to be proud of them.

[ 21. February 2016, 01:52: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The news is too often depressing in the US. But read this. And be proud you are an American!

If you have not seen the shot, follow the link in the story to the image of the little boy rubbing Barack Obama's head.

Beautiful!
[Axe murder]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Axe murder]
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Regarding stuff that makes you proud to be American.-- I just rewatched " when the levees broke" last night, and every time Ms. Phyllis Montana - LeBlanc tells Barbara Bush to call her directly and tell her in person how displaced Katrina victims are better off, because " my phone works now," I feel lke standing up and putting my hand over my heart. Now, she's an American to be proud of. [Tear]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm sure lots of you will have seen this already, but if ever you need something to make you smile, this lady ought to do the trick.

[Overused]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I knew exactly who that was before I clicked. [Big Grin]

I saw this clip on the news while I was doing the treadmill at the gym. I was beaming like an idiot and blinking back tears.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for that Kelly & Piglet - sometimes clicking on the links to check they are okay is just so wonderful!

That one was just great!

[ 23. February 2016, 05:42: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Magnificent! [Angel]
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't she just amazing? Her picture is under the heading of Joy of Life!

Another joyful person is my friend Florence who will be 97 years old in May. Her daughter had a thing to do last night, so I sat with Florence. Her joy is contagious!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Random thought-- could not decide whether it was a Ship thing or a Facebook thing and ultimately decided it was a Vespucciana thing.

I am currently watching the "John Adams" miniseries. This has to be like the fourth time I have rewatched the entire six hour series in the past year.

John Adams is n interesting character--- by all accounts he was an insufferable, tactless narcissist, but it seems like part of that narcissism was his need to have an impeccable reputation as a man of decency. Even the people who couldn't stand him seemed to respect that.

The opening scene shows Adams responding to a community alarm and stumbling upon the so-called Boston Massacre. Captain Preston of the Royal Army is frantically screaming at his men to hold their fire. Two minutes later, Adams is hauling his cousin Sam back from attempting to strangle Preston. In between the two men's attempts to promote civility, they lock eyes. The sense is that they know each other, if only by reputation, and they exchange this long, despairing look-- holy shit, what now?

So much in that moment explains to me why I keep watching this series-- ISTM that my country is having one of those what-now? moments, on many fronts.

Anyhow, like I said, thought it fit here. Take care, Yankmates.

[ 28. February 2016, 06:54: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you are an Adams fan, you have perhaps seen 1776? The musical theater piece.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Long time ago-- as I recall it was kind of awful. But the music is fun [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Update on the Robin Williams Tunnel It's official! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's a story about a family in trouble with the neighbors for feeding crows.

I can sympathize with the neighbors, but crows that exchange gifts for food win my sympathy.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I agree, Basso - I thought, what a nice story, until I got to the bit about the lawsuit. [Frown]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm coming to California next week for work - Santa Clara (Valencia) to be exact.

I've started a separate thread if anyone is local and wants to meet up on my "day off"- sunday 13th

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A bit far for me to come, but as three members of my family are travelling OS in the next few days for varying times, it would be good to begoing somewhere too. Oh well, who knows.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wet Kipper, your Florida Friends will wave as you pass overhead!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Also Arizona -- you'll know us by that large hole in the ground.
[Biased]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

given the likely route , I'm not sure "overhead" is accurate [Biased]

[ 09. March 2016, 14:30: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It used to be that all transatlantic routes from the UK flew to Gander in Newfoundland and turned left; if that had still been the case I'd have said I'll give you a wave as you fly over us. [Big Grin]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

We will peer to the North. Very North!

Maybe we should use D's telescope. [Biased]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Adventures in Vespucciana: The effects pof American Mass media:

OK, some of you know I have recently gotten into those audio Reddit "true Story" performances -- Be.Busta is my favorite. They are scary good fun, but they really get in your head, and after bingeing on them one week, I was beginning to look askance at every shadow in my house. SO I said to myself, "This is nuts. I gotta take a break and read something lighter. I know-- I just bought the Hyperbole and a Half comic strip compendium, and so far it has been hilarious! I'll just crawl into bed and pick up where I left the bookmark."
The book fell open to this godawful story.

Slept with the damn light on. Freaking geese.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Guard-geese were common in the middle ages and I once had a swan advance towards me menacingly when I was out taking photos of it and its cygnets - I maintained eye contact and backed away as quickly as I could. Both are known to go for the eyes!

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Once when my daughter was just a toddler and still using a pacifier, a goose tried to pull it right from her mouth and take off with it. The only reason it was unsuccessful was that the pacifier was attached to her coat so it couldn't get it away. I guess we're lucky the goose didn't do more than just pull it out of her mouth, like nip her face or something.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've heard that an angry swan can break your arm. Careful!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I ran into a guard goose at an old surfer shack at Pedro Point in Pacifica. It approached me and I made cooey animal lover noises. The owner quickly got off the porch and gave me a brief lesson in guard geese. It kept walking toward me with intent, and I hurried by. Luckily that satisfied it.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of my favorite saints, Hugh of Lincoln, legendarily had a pet swan that followed him, would eat from his hand- and would attack anyone who got too near the saintly bishop.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I have started following a cou0le local history pages oin Facebook, and they have been kicking up some wonderful stuff lately.

I have heard the name Thomas Starr King bandied about in religious circles before, but I really had no idea how important he was to California being a free state during the Civil War era.

History nuts and Ecclesiantics junkies will appreciate.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It must be spring -- the white winged doves are back. They haven't started their obnoxious territorial mating behavior yet -- right now they're just flying about scouting out targets to inundate with their droppings later on.

[Edited to add: OK, I heard one instance this afternoon of the territorial mating call, but the others don't seem to have caught on yet.]

[ 17. March 2016, 20:58: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I think the ravens on the block were trying to start nests last week, but the violent wind storm knocked things askew. They were stomping all over the roof right above my bedroom and cawing back and forth to each other, clearly in distress. You know what four or five full grown ravens marching around on the roof above your head sounds like? Kind of like the Rockettes having a show.

Speaking of which-- it's probably time to check out the Wellesley crow cam...

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

I have heard the name Thomas Starr King bandied about in religious circles before, but I really had no idea how important he was to California being a free state during the Civil War era.

Aside from a couple of cemeteries (most of the others were moved out of town), there are only a couple of graves in San Francisco proper. One of them is Starr King's -- it's outside the Unitarian church on Franklin Street. I try to say a little 'thank you' whenever I pass it.

Starr King was one of the initial two Californians selected for inclusion in the National Statuary Hall in the Capitol in Washington. A few years ago he was replaced there by a former President (let the reader understand) from California.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ick.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
... A few years ago he was replaced there by a former President (let the reader understand) from California.

Let me guess - President during the 1980s, used to be an actor? [Devil]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In Washington DC our local airport was renamed, by Congressional fiat, after the same pol. The local populace was not consulted. Everyone born here stubbornly refers to it as National Airport, except for a rump group which is agitating to name it RBG airport, after the Notorious RBG.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Wow, that is admirable tenacity on the part of DC residents. [Overused]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016