homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vespucciana-- USA 2016 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vespucciana-- USA 2016
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the topic of weddings...I have had both these experiences:

Being invited to a reception only. Not being with the program, I brought my gift in and sat waiting for the wedding to start, wondering why the area had a small amount of people. One gay guy and I hung out after he stopped being afraid of me (I was very evangelical then carrying around a bible). He then got on me to have REALLY BIG HAIR and it was the 1990s. I still don't take his advice but I think he was on to something. I would like better like that.

As it was, I did some crying off in an area, pulled myself together and attended the reception. The couple divorced about 5 years later. The bride just remarried a few years ago.

I went to a wedding a first months ago where I took my gent with me. I expected it would be delightful. It was. Up to the end. Then I found out...I was not invited to the reception. Since I cried over this too, the gent told me to remove both parties from my facebook. A compromise was made that I stealthily unfollowed both of them and made the privacy higher so they are seeing my posts as often.

I now refuse to go to weddings where I am not attending both the wedding and the reception.

I realize people are broke and such but I say have a wedding like my mom and dad did the 1950s. Wedding ceremony in sanctuary, cake and punch in the basement. No frills.

[edited: to have no frills]

[ 12. July 2016, 03:41: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's sad. Here generally, the unwritten rule is (or at least was) that anyone can attend the ceremony. If you get an invitation, it will either say something like 'and after', which means you're invited to the whole shebang, or 'and in the evening', which means you're invited to a bigger party after the formal reception.

The bride at the wedding I've been posting about was apparently very firm that she didn't want two ranks of guests and wanted everyone there all day, which was very sweet of her.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My understanding is that the wedding ceremony (if held in a church) is basically a public act, and so you can't really "un-invite" someone from it--it's God's house, not yours, even if you are the bride or groom. (No doubt there are exceptions for stalkers etc.)

The reception is another matter, and you can choose whom you wish to invite, though it's not at all kind to make it obvious to everyone that there's going to be a party to which you, X and Y and Z, are not invited. Which is why we invited everybody, and made reception arrangements which we could afford for the whole lot of them (400 people!). In other words, the backyard with sandwiches. [Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another way of handling this that I've seen is to have the wedding followed by a simple reception somewhere at the church -- to which everyone is invited. That can be followed a little later on by a sit-down dinner at a restaurant for close friends and family.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The usual practice (and the one we followed) when we got married was for the parents of the bride to invite close friends and relations to the marriage of their daughter at [insert name of church] and afterwards at [insert name of reception venue].

Other guests would be invited to the dance/evening reception; they probably wouldn't come to the church, but nobody would object if they did.

In our case, the people invited to the dance included the Cathedral choir (who had sung at the service) and also the members of a choir from a Cambridge college who happened to be doing a concert tour in Orkney at the time. They'd never been to an Orkney wedding before: I don't think they knew quite what had hit them ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The variations on this are very nearly infinite, depending mainly on how deep the pockets of the happy couple are. I went to a wedding once between a Hindu bride and a Unitarian groom. It took all day. The morning was devoted to an elaborate Hindu ceremony, in which everyone (including the groom and his parents) were dressed in traditional Indian garb imported from Bombay. This concluded with an enormous Indian luncheon, very spicy and in many courses. The guests were then permitted to disperse and lie down in a digestive torpor for a couple hours. At 5 pm there was the church wedding, with a complete set of Western wedding togs for everybody, and this was followed by a full-bore wedding reception dinner, with band and dancing. Followed once more by digestive torpor.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, Piglet, that's what I meant, and is the convention we followed too. Although I think I would expect/hope people invited for the evening would come to the church/register office.

Obviously there's as many variations as people but that's what I would think of as yer basic standard.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
The usual practice (and the one we followed) when we got married was for the parents of the bride to invite close friends and relations to the marriage of their daughter at [insert name of church] and afterwards at [insert name of reception venue].

Other guests would be invited to the dance/evening reception; they probably wouldn't come to the church, but nobody would object if they did.

The problem I have found is when, not being family or close friends, we have been invited to a wedding ceremony and the evening "do", but not the bit in between. That's fine if it's local and you can go home, but it doesn't work if you're in a strange place, there's nothing to do and it's raining.

[ 13. July 2016, 07:56: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
My understanding is that the wedding ceremony (if held in a church) is basically a public act, and so you can't really "un-invite" someone from it.

Doing so in England could in fact be regarded as contravening the law.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
[QUOTE] The problem I have found is when, not being family or close friends, we have been invited to a wedding ceremony and the evening "do", but not the bit in between. That's fine if it's local and you can go home, but it doesn't work if you're in a strange place, there's nothing to do and it's raining.

Ain't that the truth - Miss S, when in a spinal corset, was invited to the ceremony and an evening do for one of her school friends. I was quite happy to drive her both ways, but when she discovered that she was the only one of the gang not to have been invited to the reception (which, as they were so very young, was sausage and mash and ice cream with sprinkles*) she was deeply hurt and never made it back in the evening. I did think they might have said on the day 'oh don't go, just stay on'...

*nothing against any of that - I just wanted to show that it wasn't in an ultra-posh, £100-a-day, book two years in advance place
[Mad]

Mrs. S, not one to bear a grudge [Killing me]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
when she discovered that she was the only one of the gang not to have been invited to the reception (which, as they were so very young, was sausage and mash and ice cream with sprinkles*) she was deeply hurt and never made it back in the evening.

And I hope she returned her gift to the store.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
My understanding is that the wedding ceremony (if held in a church) is basically a public act, and so you can't really "un-invite" someone from it.

Doing so in England could in fact be regarded as contravening the law.
These two grooms involved 2 churches, so they made it easy to not invite me and others to the reception.

One groom went to my church, then went to his then fiance's church. Then they moved out of state to be near yet-to-be-born grandbaby.

They posted pictures of the "very small reception" later on facebook.

I understand they needed to save money. My church though is the kind of place that would have done a potluck if they had wanted. It was 7 miles away from the wedding church and no, it was not an oversight. It was very on purpose.

If lightning strikes, a unicorn comes out the sky and I get married. Marriage in sanctuary, plenty of parking and reception hall with potluck.

[needed to make less wordy. edited.]

[ 14. July 2016, 01:04: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I came home yesterday evening to find wind damage. It was almost dark, so I couldn't look around until this morning. What a mess. [Frown]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found out that I was lucky in the wind storm. A nearby school lost most of the roof, two of my neighbors have trees on the roof, there are huge limbs down all over. My tree guys were able to come Wednesday and cut most of the broken limbs from my trees, and chipped all tree detritus. There are still small branches coming down, so everyday I'm taking leafy sticks out to the street for the yard waste guys. They were very busy in my neighborhood!!!

And, I apologize profusely for spreading our summer weather to y'all up north. We really like for you to keep cool, so we can leave our heat and go visit you and your nice weather. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello USA. Is anyone in New York in September?

Mr C and I will be visiting friends in September. We'll have a week in NY, NY from teh 6th so we intend to jog around Central Park, visit various places of touristy interest and eat street food (unless it's bucketing down with sleet, in which case we might deign to go indoors).

Any advice from people of the other side of the Pond?

Cattyish, getting quite excited to see my friends.

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cattyish, I'm in New York. Would love to meet up at some point. PM me when the time is closer and we can make plans.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not in NY, but I can vouch for it being a Rather Wonderful Place - we really must make an excuse to go back there some time now that we're actually on the same piece of rock ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

We had some rain yesterday. The water was about ten to twelve inches deep in the swales. I'm on a higher lot than most of my neighbors, so normally the swale is drained by the next day, but today, there are still three or four inches of standing water. We don't need mosquitoes here. [Frown]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That does look rather moist, JJ - hope the mozzies decide to stay away! [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It makes me give thanks for the pretty efficient fly screening we have around the place - and if the balcony becomes part of my territory - if we can ever afford the alterations - that shall be screened as well. I know mozzies are an essential part of the food chain but I am irked that they should find it necessary that they should feed on us!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'll second that, WW - I don't think it's mozzies, but something's been eating me, and leaving bites that feel as if they're the size of volcanoes.

[Frown]

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm getting really excited to see our friends in New York State and to visit the big apple itself. My land is to pack lots of Scottish themed items to pass around to everyone as well as Cadbury's chocolate and Tetley tea.

Cattyish, dreaming of jogging in Central Park.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"...if the hoods don't get you
the monoxide will!"

Enjoy your trip, cattyish.

Piglet, a Canadian cousin, long-deceased, used to talk about something he and his wife called no-see-ums which were vicious little swine. I hope the windows in the new [temporary] place are all screened.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

No-see-ums are evil little bugs. I was eaten up by them in April. You can still see the many hundreds of marks on my legs. Thank goodness the itching stopped about six weeks ago.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
THAT LONG???!!!! (never mind, there's nothing personal to my question, no indeed, just asking for academic purposes here, mumblemumble...)

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Yup. Evil, evil, evil. The itching and swelling were so bad that I couldn't sleep for a few nights. Antihistamines didn't have any effect.

Normally, if I'm at the beach about sunset, I may get two or three bites. The worst part was taking a shower, and the bites would sting like fire, then after a few seconds, it was all gone, and nothing else ever happened. I think it was the quantity of bites that caused all the agony.

Lightening bugs are much lovelier!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

There's been a lot of those this year. Lovely things.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I hope the windows in the new [temporary] place are all screened.

They are indeed.

When I went into a chemist's the other day to get more insect-repellent (having forgotten to apply it before leaving the house) I told the bloke in the shop I'd just moved here and seemed to be irresistible to the wee buggers, and he said an English lady in the same situation had been in the previous week and thought the same. Maybe you gradually develop a sort of natural repellent after a while ...

Having said that, although D. has had a few bites, he seems to have got off more lightly than I did.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So... Wow.

My maternal greatgrandparents, the Kneales, came over from the UK ( London and the Isle of Man, respectively) to join the party lead by Brigham Young that eventually landed in and foundec Salt Lake City. I just found a family Bible, which I believe belonged to Grandma Lillian Kneale, published in London. Out of curiosity I converted the Roman date to Arabic numerals.

So, we have had a 118 year old Bible lying around on a jewelry armoire in the hallway. Holy Moses.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very cool, Kelly. Those old family Bibles are treasures.

And they can hold secrets, too. I found a gorgeous old leather-bound Bible hidden in a closet at my grandma's (because I was a nosy child) and that is where I found out that my older sister is really my half-sister, biologically speaking.

Kelly, were your forbears Mormon, then?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
... Kelly, were your forbears Mormon, then?

And if so, does the family Bible contain lots of interesting genealogical information?

As Mamacita said, v. cool. [Cool]

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is cool.

I don't have any family Bibles, but I know enough about my mother's family to know that I have some Mormon forebears. One was headed to Utah, but never made it. She married in Wisconsin, to another migrant, and they stopped there. (I've heard that she divorced him - unusual for the nineteenth century. He outlived her by a couple of decades.)

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
... Kelly, were your forbears Mormon, then?

And if so, does the family Bible contain lots of interesting genealogical information?

As Mamacita said, v. cool. [Cool]

Ok, those were my great great grandparents. Their daughter and my great grandpa were married in the TEMPLE, bygod. And yeah, I have real live Mormon trail forbears. Hard to research, considering how the modern LDS church has cleaned up a lot of records, but it would be nuts for me not to think I have some sister-wife co- grannies in the mix somewhere.

And my sis copped the Bible with genealogical info, unfortunately. Unfortunately because that guarentees it is hiding under mountains of crap in her room. Our Bible says " for service use" in the intro, so I guess Great Great Grandma copped it from an Anglican pew just before she set sail for the Promised Land.

[ 15. August 2016, 04:06: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

jedijudy

# 333

Kelly, I love your story! So, where did you find the Bible? Are you treasure hunting in your home?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

It was part of a bunch of stuff left in my grandparents' house when my grandfather died. The whole family has hoarding issues, so a lot of boxes were moved unpacked into my mom's basement. Since it wasn't the genealogy Bible, it was kind of neglected.

We turned up my Grandpa's gigantic, ancient Masonic ritual hadbook, too. [Eek!] [Devil]

[ 16. August 2016, 02:16: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Remember last year's huge wildfires in Lake County, in Northern Cal?

There's another one burning now. The story from the Murky News has a hair-raising map.

I don't know how these people will bear up.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An owl has recently taken up residence in our courtyard. I saw him two nights ago perching on a neighbor's window ledge. Didn't see him last night. I do hope he's here to stay.

He seemed to be surveying the ground looking for prey. When I stepped out onto my porch, he turned his head to stare at me and didn't divert his gaze once, even for several minutes after I went back in! It was a bit spooky, actually.

The good news is that our courtyard has been white-wing-dove free ever since the owl came to town.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Basso, that sounds frightful. [Votive] for all affected.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
An owl has recently taken up residence in our courtyard. I saw him two nights ago perching on a neighbor's window ledge. Didn't see him last night. I do hope he's here to stay.

He seemed to be surveying the ground looking for prey. When I stepped out onto my porch, he turned his head to stare at me and didn't divert his gaze once, even for several minutes after I went back in! It was a bit spooky, actually.

The good news is that our courtyard has been white-wing-dove free ever since the owl came to town.

Do you know what kind of owl it is? (Obviously not a Hogwarts mail owl!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The students are back! There are almost thirty thousand of them and only twelve thousand townspeople, so their arrival is very conspicuous.

There are long lines of cars on the major roads, and the supermarket parking lots are full. Certain items are sold-out. In a few days everything will settle down, but right now it's chaotic.

Our church, as usual, is having a yard sale Saturday. The new and returning students will want to buy furniture, bedding, pots and pans, dishes, linens, etc.

We raise thousands of dollars this way every year, and all the money goes to outreach.

I've spent the past four days cleaning and polishing donations to make them more attractive.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

OOOOooooohhh! It must be like getting two broods of cicadas at once. A buzzing, screeching chaos, that disappears a few days later.

My son just started high school and is absolutely loving it. What a change from a few years ago. (He's in the marching band, and there was a football game tonight, so we got to see him in uniform. Add a little insignia and we'd be saying, "Beam him up, Scotty."

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Do you know what kind of owl it is? (Obviously not a Hogwarts mail owl!)

No. Sort of brownish-gray with white talons, very large, the size of a large cat. But he hasn't been there the past couple of days. Drat!

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

There is a hawks' nest in the oak tree next door! The parents have been fetching dinner for the little one(s) and making all kinds of loud calls. Interestingly, when the parents flew to the nest this morning, a mockingbird and a bluejay flew into the tree right after. I guess they figured that they were not going to be breakfast for the hawk family.

I do like all the raptors; they are so beautiful. It's sad when I hear a squawk then see a shower of little feathers, but they have to eat, too. They are especially loved for eating the less loved varmints that I don't want in my yard.

We've had a large number of swallow tailed kites this year. Gorgeous birds.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Miss Amanda, is this your owl?

--------------------

Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just returned from a week of camping in Bedford County, Pennsylvania. Our first time exploring that part of the country...very pretty, although a little too hot for my liking!

What intrigued us the most was a certain kind of flying insect. They had black & yellow bands like a wasp, but were much smaller, silent, and darted around quickly like a fly. Do any of you local folks know what these are called? (In hindsight, I really should have asked somebody while I was there...)

Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

I believe so.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

I believe so.
That's what I was assuming as well -- your description sounded like a great horned owl, and we do have them in these parts.

--------------------
~Tortuf

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

Apparently we could go wine tasting or beer tasting the weekend we're going to stay with friends in New York state. I'm tempted to go for beer.

Cattyish, finding tartan things.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Well, the jackasses have been down our street, breaking into cars. They took Mr. L's wallet and 50$--I'm rather glad because he solemnly promises to break the bad habit of leaving it in the car instead of in the house. Other than that we had nothing worth stealing. They did leave us a nice hypodermic syringe, yay. The police took it.

Seriously, anybody who breaks into OUR cars has gotta be desperate.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Thinking of our Shipmates who are experiencing some tropical weather today. MaryFL looks to be getting dumped on with lots of rain. We're very fortunate here, just getting the outer edges of rain bands.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016