homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada's chatting (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada's chatting
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year! = Bonne et heureuse année!

Just how many of us are here?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Six billion or so a the last estimate.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If they were all Canadians, there would be peace on Earth, don't you think? We are all polite and we always say "Sorry".

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unfortunately, Pete, there will usually be someone from these regions to throw a spanner in the works.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm still here. The PS went active with two job processes December, so I might end up in Ottawa at the end of the year, permanently.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year everyone. I am mostly lurking these days, but still here.
Posts: 653 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't resided there for well over a decade, but am still very much Canadian.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Never will be Canadian, but I like living here for now. Since the recent general election the atmosphere has quickly become a lot more agreeable - more like the Canada imagined by the rest of the world.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have no complaints. After 3 days, the city has sent a plough down to clear the sidewalk.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
I have no complaints. After 3 days, the city has sent a plough down to clear the sidewalk.

...of snow? drunks? people in wheelchairs?

[Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:

...of snow? drunks? people in wheelchairs?

[Razz]

all three!!
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hardly any to plow compared to most years.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy new year one and all from over here in the mystic East.

We got about 6 inches of snow between Hogmanay and New Year's Day, and they've been merrily ploughing up and down our road off and on for most of the day.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pop in now and then. Usually don't post anything, though.

I hate Canadian winters, and hope that this one and the next will be the last I have to endure. Our plan is to spend the winters in Phoenix when we retire.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm here from time to time, reading more than I post. When I do post it's usually about the weather here in Newfoundland, but piglet's generally got that covered.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I've only been here 12 years, I feel that I'm still something of a novice when it comes to Newfoundland winters. Although I appreciate getting the odd snow-day, I'm always relieved when we get some rain or fog to clear it away.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Ottawa was nice and mild today, but the wind was up. For tomorrow and Tuesday until further notice, as the weather report says, is frostbite advisory. We'll see. (And we don't need an Indian-based host to giggle and share his balmy temperatures)

--------------------

Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As always, I mostly read, but I too am still here.

Happy New Year to all.

I'm off for 2 weeks in rainy (apparently) Cuba tomorrow, for a much-needed break. At least it will be hot and muggy.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
... we don't need an Indian-based host to giggle and share his balmy temperatures

I'll be honest - I'd rather have your frostbitey temperatures than my dear fellow-host's balmy ones. [Big Grin]

Having said that, on the one occasion I spent any time in Ottawa (which I thoroughly enjoyed) it was February and extremely brrrr ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think the correct term would actually be India-based - I think the "n" changes the meaning somewhat.

Anyway, since you ask, it was a pretty chilly night here - putting the digital thermometer-thingy on the balcony this morning shows a current temperature of 19.7°C so I'm expecting all sorts of moans from the locals about how cold it was - it will, hopefully, warm up when the sun gets a tad higher. I popped to see my friend M at his house the other evening and he had a big thick acrylic blanket on his bed, I just use a thin cotton one.

But we do have the bright, clear blue sky!

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here in western Canada, it was a beautiful day - bright, sunny, and mild. It was so lovely that I didn't even sink into my traditional Sunday afternoon nap, but energized by the epiphanic light, I did some home chores instead.

I have to confess my masochistic enjoyment of WW's posts on this thread. He seems so nice, and yet is actually so evil. Glad you're here [Two face]

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thank you ma'am, I try my best.

[Cool]

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
These days I'm an occasional lurker. Just popped in to wish everyone a wonderful New Year (even Wodders [Big Grin] ).

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hail Mary
Apprentice
# 18531

- Posted      Profile for Hail Mary   Email Hail Mary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Salut from snowy Montreal.

--------------------
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Posts: 35 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Hardly any to plow compared to most years.

Wheelchairs got expensive.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I certainly consider myself Canadian, even if I am in Wales atm! So I'm more or less here too.
Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone know anything about St Mary's university Halifax, Nova Scotia ? A friend of mine from Chennai India is thinking of applying to do an MBA there.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Does anyone know anything about St Mary's university Halifax, Nova Scotia ? A friend of mine from Chennai India is thinking of applying to do an MBA there.

Yep, know lots and have lived nearby. Many friends who have graduated from that program. Feel free to pm.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moonlitdoor, I got your pm but your mailbox is full.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It seems to get earlier every year, but Roll up the Rim is back.

My losing streak has started already ... [Disappointed]

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ha! Ha!

First cup of coffee in the current RUTRTW season and got a free doughnut. Has to be used before next Wednesday, as I give up doughnuts for Lent.

John

[ 04. February 2016, 14:24: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Isn't the whole point of RUTR that you don't give up doughnuts for Lent? [Big Grin]

eta: that was a short losing streak: on my second attempt, I've gagnezed un café. [Yipee]

[ 04. February 2016, 15:17: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Ha! Ha!

First cup of coffee in the current RUTRTW season and got a free doughnut. Has to be used before next Wednesday, as I give up doughnuts for Lent.

John

No problem, just send it over to me.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got "please play again."
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

[Yipee]

I gagnezed a tea! And on the day that I was gasping for another!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

46 cm of snow today... so far. And it's still coming! I can't believe I went out this morning. It was awful then, and at least 3x worse at 18:15

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

52cm in Arborea, in Ottawa's west centre. Five shovellings today, and another scheduled before the evening news.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I thought of you chaps when I saw the forecast on the Weather Channel this morning - stay safe! [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

No comment.

[Big Grin]

[Killing me]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

And today I gagnezed another tea. I could get used to this! [Yipee]

The rim is all tucked away for Friday morning tea at the mall.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I thought this might cheer the Ottawans* up.

Yes, in Britain, an inch of snow (two on higher ground [Eek!] ) constitutes "severe weather" and makes the news.

[Killing me]

* is that the correct term for an inhabitant of the National Capital Region?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I thought this might cheer the Ottawans* up.

[Killing me]

* is that the correct term for an inhabitant of the National Capital Region?

Considering what the rest of the country calls us,
that's pretty good! As for the Brits, I take comfort in the fact that it was the Scots who colonised the world, not those wussy English.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

Ottawans is what the Canadian Press suggests, but Ottawavians is the older form (likely from the Latin adjectival Ottaviensis). The current French is Outouais/e. The porteña pastry chef at my favourite madeleines joint uses Ottouano/a -- I don't know if that's useful information.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I like the idea of Ottaviensis - anything in Latin is OK in my book. [Smile]

In other news, I gagnezed another café today. [Yipee]

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I like the idea of Ottaviensis - anything in Latin is OK in my book. [Smile]

In other news, I gagnezed another café today. [Yipee]

You may enjoy the curial Latin adjective for Whitehorse-- Equialbensis (whose new bishop is Peruvian-- even for Canadians, accustomed to immigrants in leadership roles, this was an interesting one). Montréal as Mariopolis, Kingston as Regiopolis (shouldn't it be Basileopolis??), and Charlottetown as Carolinapolis are nice enough, but it is Trois-Rivières as Trifluviania, Thunder Bay as Sinus Tonitralis, Mont-Laurier as Mons Laurei, and Sault Sainte Marie as Sancta Maria Ormensis that show a creative toponymical slant. Corner Brook and Labrador sounds more Gallic Wars-like as Rivulus Angularis et Terra Laboratoria. The poor Melkites might have the prize for the longest diocesan title in Canada-- Eparchia Sanctissimi Salvatoris Marianopolitansis Graecorum Melkitarum Catholicorum. This might even beat the Anglicans' Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador or even the Portmanteau Prize- winning Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, both of which flame out on the exotic-sounds factor.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

To revert to weather - It is bl**dy dangerous at the moment in this part of Eastern Ontario. After reviewing the forecast for tomorrow, I cancelled my grocery shopping trip. AGAIN It is a good thing I am an inventive cook.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
To revert to weather - It is bl**dy dangerous at the moment in this part of Eastern Ontario. After reviewing the forecast for tomorrow, I cancelled my grocery shopping trip. AGAIN It is a good thing I am an inventive cook.

Indeed, within a 7km walk, I had snow, rain, and freezing rain drop upon me, and the last km put me ankle deep into annoying liquid slush. Dante might have written about the flames of hell, but I think rather it featured salty slush.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I noticed your neck of the woods was getting another Honourable Mention on the Weather Channel.

Take care. [Votive]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Temperature stayed above freezing overnight, so we didn't get the significant freezing rain that was forecast.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016