homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada's chatting (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada's chatting
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Instead the city is posting "No Skinny dipping" signs in all the potholes. : [Paranoid]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Instead the city is posting "No Skinny dipping" signs in all the potholes. : [Paranoid]

Surely it is still a bit cold for that still?

We can send you some heat if you like. Over 40 deg C in outer suburbs and just under that at my place, much closer to the city. With high humidity. Summer's last hurrah, I hope.

[ 25. February 2016, 21:03: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you're sending that lot over, Loth, make sure it bypasses me and goes straight to Pete.

40°? With humidity??? [Eek!]

**shudder**

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is still muggy but cooler, a bit under 30. February is always humid but this seems worse than usual, although someone seems to say that every year.

I set the aircon to 25 and it was still more pleasant in my room last night with the humidity removed than outside in my hall. The temperature was supposedly the same. I even pulled the sheet over my back this morning.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
It is still muggy but cooler, a bit under 30. February is always humid but this seems worse than usual, although someone seems to say that every year.

I set the aircon to 25 and it was still more pleasant in my room last night with the humidity removed than outside in my hall. The temperature was supposedly the same. I even pulled the sheet over my back this morning.

Are you taking lessons from your very annoying co-host??

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Are you taking lessons from your very annoying co-host?? [Roll Eyes]

You talkin' 'bout me?? [Two face]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

You are as pure as the driven snow, o honoured one. I was referring to the other, very annoying, host.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

At least I can hope autumn rolls in soon. Autumn where he is is not much.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
You are as pure as the driven snow, o honoured one ...

You haven't seen the snow around these parts after a few weeks ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Meg:

I'm coming to Edmonton on April 8th and would like to have a Shipmeet. If you would be so kind as to check your PM's.

SPK.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
You are as pure as the driven snow, o honoured one. I was referring to the other, very annoying, host.

Who can he mean?

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Until the Annex and Christie Pits sees snow, the local CBC radio doesn't think its been winter yet.

So winter finally got here yesterday, we've now been told.

Mind you, not like we up in the inner suburbs have gotten that much. People were complaining about ankle deep snow and I just had to laugh.

On a side note, when it takes the average low wage earner over an hour to get to work in good weather, I'm happy we have had a mild winter. A lot of people were seeing parents they wouldn't normally see for most of winter.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would congratulate a certain NCR-based shipmate on an, as yet undisclosable, honour to be received -- but that person's post box is full so I cannot.

You know who you are.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what is this honour? It appears it was not a Senatorship, but surely the Order of Canada is still open?

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure the recipient will let it be known in the fullness of time, but it's not related to the Order of Canada at all. And, as you say, not a senate seat.

I'd love to tell you, really, but it's not my news.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Another friggin' "winter storm"! My housekeeper has just cancelled her visit tomorrow. Who wants to bet that if I go to my phone there will be a text cancelling our meeting tonight, for the second time in a row?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Well, I got an email cancelling tonight. Although since the govmint has been sent home at noon, supposedly, it must be worse out there than it seems.

Still [Mad]

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With respect to the John Holding/SPK exchange, I am able now to note that I have just received permission to accept a Spanish decoration although sadly I may not use the title in Canada (although an unkind friend of mine, an aficionada of Trailer Park, says that I would be confused with Don the demented cousin of Bubbles). One of my Spanish friends assures me that the rosette on my hoody will get me a good table in a restaurant, but that I will have to address the waiter with egalitarian Trotskyite bonhomie.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

A Hidalgo then, I take it.

If the order is of a chivalric nature, are we to be treated to the spectacle of you practising your jousting technique on Parliament Hill?

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

If the order is of a chivalric nature, are we to be treated to the spectacle of you practising your jousting technique on Parliament Hill?

Lancing practice on senior officials is likely to do more good for Canada at this stage.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, Don A-the-A! [Smile]

eta: do I have to curtsey while replying to your posts now? [Big Grin]

[ 29. March 2016, 14:45: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Congratulations, Don A-the-A! [Smile]

eta: do I have to curtsey while replying to your posts now? [Big Grin]

Depends on your gender identification/assignment.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

Lancing practice on senior officials is likely to do more good for Canada at this stage.
You can start with a certain Departmental HR Office of my acquaintance.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

You can start with a certain Departmental HR Office of my acquaintance.
I have a special lance, named Petard, which is tipped with a potion from the Amazon basin. We'll see what we can do.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Depending on what the potion's supposed to do, I might join the queue for borrowing it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Speed things up would be nice. That office wouldn't voom if you put 50,000 volts through it.

A kick in the can for its various oversights would be nice.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

By the waters of Babylon I sat down and wept.

There shall be weeping and wailing in the Outer darkness.

Is this the straw the broke the camel's back?

Not only is Rona sold to Lowe's, but most importantly, St. Hubert, a plucky little chicken chain, has been swallowed up by the Cara Conglomerate and Swiss Chalet. Is this the final resolution of the daggers-drawn fight between the two dipping sauces?

Only time will tell. If you see on-line petitions abounding, this will be the reason.

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The business reporter (I think that's who it was) on CBC this morning quipped that she hoped the outcome would be Swiss Chalet fries with St. Hubert dipping sauce. [Smile]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

BLASPHEMER

St Hubert fanatics claim that Swiss Chalet dipping sauce is the devil's urine. (Personally, it is one of the things that keep me firmly on the Swiss Chalet side). The Quebeckers and the Ottavians who have been brainwashed differ vociferously. One even claimed that there would be rioting in the streets if they mucked with it.

[ 02. April 2016, 12:39: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've yet to discover the delights of St. Hubert (I'm fairly sure they don't extend this far to the mystic East), but I'm not a great fan of dipping sauces anyway. On the rare occasions when we go to a Swiss Chalet, I'm more likely to have a steak or pasta, and if I do have chicken I tend to ignore the sauce.

IMHO the only sauce needed for chips is either tomato ketchup or (when in Belgium) mayonnaise.

--------------------

Hail Mary
Apprentice
# 18531

- Posted      Profile for Hail Mary   Email Hail Mary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here in la belle province, St. Hubert is seen as being ours, and that's a big deal here.

--------------------
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Posts: 35 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hail Mary:
Here in la belle province, St. Hubert is seen as being ours, and that's a big deal here.

That comment reminds me of when Rona bought out Revelstoke, but in reverse. Quebec company buying B.C. But then Rona is getting sold to American chain Lowes.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hail Mary
Apprentice
# 18531

- Posted      Profile for Hail Mary   Email Hail Mary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's a good comparison. In the meantime, I'm going to stock up on a few cans of St. Hubert poutine gravy, for sentimental value.

--------------------
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I seem to be a couple days late in making my escape to the desert.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, anybody east of BC seen spring yet?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Hail Mary
Apprentice
# 18531

It snowed here in Montreal yesterday and today. Something about April being the cruelest month.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had spring all winter on the prairies. It snowed 2 days ago and today I was out in shorts. Spring looks like a continuation.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
So, anybody east of BC seen spring yet?

We saw it last week, but it buggered off. [Frown]

Either that or, like in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, it gave summer and autumn a miss and went straight back into winter.

--------------------

# 3200

So I hear there's a job opening in Ottawa going?

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We woke up to winter then the sun came out this afternoon and almost all of the snow has melted. Crazy weather!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That pretty much happened here on Wednesday, Lilypad - they were forecasting loads of snow, but it never really came to much, and disappeared pretty damn quick.

I may not be saying the same this time next year; D. and I are heading west*. He's been appointed organist of Fredericton Cathedral, so we'll have to get used to quite a bit more snow than we get here. No time frame as yet - we've got a house to sell - but any advice you folks can offer will be gratefully appreciated. [Smile]

* well, from here, everywhere is west ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish Mulcair had done the honourable thing and resigned after the election. Yesterday was embarassing for both him and the Party.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

There's a lot of denial going on in the federal NDP and Conservative ranks. I keep hearing variations on "The Libs duped the people."

This reminds me so much of what has gone on in Ontario since 2003. And what seems to go on in the States. The idea that people might disagree politically seems to be beyond the understanding of some.

Sad

Donald Trump stole that particular rhetorical flourish. I'd like to steal it back.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I was on the floor. There will be more fallout from this than just Mulcair's sacking. This will not be pretty.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The next two years of examining the leap manifesto should be interesting. I think it will be quite modified if it ever gets adopted and reaches the level of the Regina Manifesto.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Classic Hegelian dialectic. By the time the CCF were in power in Sask they'd put the Regina Manifesto to practical tesr. They chose a few points which were politically sale-able to the province, and formed most of the provincial gov'ts for the next 50 years.

Their recent loss in Sask represents a failure to present anything other than 'against Brad Wall'.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
The next two years of examining the leap manifesto should be interesting. I think it will be quite modified if it ever gets adopted and reaches the level of the Regina Manifesto.

[Killing me]

That thing is DOA. The NDP is the provincial government in Alberta, and Alberta needs a pipeline. It has significant opposition, and if you think riding associations are actually going to study the manifesto, I have a bridge to sell you.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Maybe study should have been put in quotation marks. I think cooler heads will prevail over the next 2 years.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I'd like to see a comparison of the Stephan Dion "Green Shift" pre-Ignatieff with the Leap Manifesto.

For what it's worth, I enjoy it when they call these things "manifesto", reminds me of communists partying.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Supreme Court extends rights to Métis and non-status Indians. Link. This is big news.

quote:
your vision lies hanging
From a rope, in a jail, in an English town....But you can hear Gabriel and Riel even yet-
They are whispering “You can win what once was lost”**.

- they did today.

(Connie Kaldor, Maria's Place - Batoche)

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016