homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada's chatting (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada's chatting
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only part of an island, surely? An insignificant part. Not even original colonisers. The Irish and Scots here will band to keep them out.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
In case it hasn't already occurred to the collective Canadian consciousness, I would recommend standing by to receive a number of refugees from a small island in the north Atlantic.

I was wondering in an idle moment whether Scotland should seek independence from the UK and apply to become a province of Canada.

Shared history, shared Queen, shared love of throwing rocks on frozen lakes and calling it a sport. Both have ambivalent relations with a larger southern neighbour...

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
In case it hasn't already occurred to the collective Canadian consciousness, I would recommend standing by to receive a number of refugees from a small island in the north Atlantic.

I was wondering in an idle moment whether Scotland should seek independence from the UK and apply to become a province of Canada.

Shared history, shared Queen, shared love of throwing rocks on frozen lakes and calling it a sport. Both have ambivalent relations with a larger southern neighbour...

Political asylum in the newly independent Scotland is the alternative.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also: needing little excuse to fire up the bagpipes.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Mail deliverers may be locked out by Management at Midnight on July 2d. 72 hours notice must be given. Statutory Holidays not counted. Of course, the big mailers were warned some days ago, .....

I guess I'm a really big mailer cause I first heard about this possibility back in early March.

Shame cause UPS and the other companies have all gone to a 1 try to a residence and then they have to hoof it to a depot thing, with most of their depots being way out on the outskirts of town, if not in another county. This is really bad in Montreal where so many people live in Apartments and the item can't be left while the depot's are all out near the airport.

Canada Post, although I have issues with its bureaucracy, at least has a local option - if ur not at home, go down to the local Shopper's Drug Mart and get your package. That and their business customer service is actually available on weekends, answers promptly and is diligent. After years of being told Canada Post's customer service is poor, I have been shocked to experience quite the opposite.

If I had a choice as to which of our courier companies I would not want to go on strike, it would be Canada Post.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

That might make our applications for Canadian citizenship go a bit more smoothly ... [Big Grin]

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the postmen's strike, folks - we've got Permanent Residence renewal forms to send off.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the many advantages of being pretty ancient is that when I was granted permanent residence over here I was told that it never has to be renewed; I've got it until I shuffle off my mortal coil...

...and I am still nowhere near as old as Pete!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

The easiest thing would be to join Scotland on to our newest province, with a few tweakings of the Constitution Act, and rename it Newfoundland and Labrador and Scotland. Or we could just name it Vetera Scotia.

I have to get my last items in the mail tomorrow for a possible Thursday delivery (feasible within Ottawa) as Friday is Dominion Day. The overseas material can be mailed on Wednesday to make it out of the country. If it goes on for a while, I will be deprived of my TLS...

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surely Nova Scotia would object on principle.

The problem is that Scotland has a different legal system that's actually a better fit for Quebec. The Scots criminal law system would have to go, though.

But I come back to annexation to Nova Scotia, surely Cape Breton would be beside itself, in more ways than one.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
... Or we could just name it Vetera Scotia ...

Scotia Occidentis? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Trouble is, is it the Scots who want to stay in Europe who'll be leaving the UK in disgust, or the ones who'll want to leave an independent Scotland because it's staying in. Can't see that Canada would help either lot, myself.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Especially after President Trump abrogates NAFTA.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Dominion Day tomorrow!

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Anglican Dioceses of Ottawa and Montreal are going to move ahead with same-sex marriages.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/anglican-diocese-ottawa-same-sex-marriage-1.3673521

[ 12. July 2016, 18:39: Message edited by: Caissa ]

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Caissa --

As a host in Dead Horses, I would welcome seeing this link where it belongs.

As I'm not a host here is All Saints, I can merely point out that discussion of Dead Horse topics belongs...in Dead Horses!

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've taken the liberty of copying Caissa's post as the start of a new thread in Dead Horses; there are other threads dealing with SSM in other branches of the church, so I've started a new one for the Anglican Church of Canada.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it a Dead Horse topic to talk about it now that the whole issue has been reversed and allowed based on the Anglican version of a hanging chad?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Probably. [Smile]

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Can I get an explanation as to the limitation of Canadian topics to be discussed in this thread? I had no intent to cross some line.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It wasn't so much a limitation on "Canadian topics" as the topic of same-sex marriage (wherever it happens) being very specifically a Dead Horses topic.

As I said above, because there are threads in DH dealing with the subject in other parts of the Church (specifically the US and Scottish Episcopal churches), it seemed appropriate that any discussion of the topic as it applies in Canada would get a thread there as well.

I hope this answers your question.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Thanks, Piglet. It answers my question.
# 3200

This makes me wonder:

What would be a "Dead Horses" discussion for most Canadians (non Ship types)?

What do we discuss to death to the point of it getting in the way of having conversations about anything else?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
This makes me wonder:

What do we discuss to death to the point of it getting in the way of having conversations about anything else?

The weather and hockey. Hot day, eh?

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
This makes me wonder:

"Why isn't Quebec ever satisfied?"

"Canadians really love their Tim Hortons."

[^ As distinct from talking about how much you, yourself, actually love Tim Hortons, which strangely enough doesn't get nearly as much chin time.]

"Lemme tell ya, we'd be a bloody military superpower by now if that miserable SOB hadn't scrapped the Greatest Plane Ever Developed."

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
quote:
This makes me wonder:

The weather and hockey. Hot day, eh?
Good point, Pete. [Big Grin]

We're heading off tomorrow for our move to Fredericton (D. starts his new job on Sunday) and, like a good would-be Canadian, I checked the Environment Canada weather web-site for the next few days there ...

29° but feeling like 35 with the Humidex.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Toronto Maple Leafs are a dead horse in several omnipresent funereal ways.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

As a CFA, I couldn't possibly comment. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

Good luck in Fredericton, Piglet. Remember I am only 100 kms down the road.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Caissa - hope to catch up sometime, and if you're in Fredericton of a Sunday, do pop in to the Cathedral and say hello. [Smile]

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All the best with the move, Piglet! Herringchokers are generally a friendly bunch - I'm sure they will be welcoming.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

On Sundays we are usually worshipping in the Parish of Portland in Saint John. We do sometimes come up to Freddy Beach on a Saturday to go to the market. When I was a student in F'ton, I worshipped at Christ Church Parish Church.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

On the weekend at our cabin, we had pillow clouds like these, followed by torrential rain of about 2" in 45 minutes and hail about the size of cherries. South and west of us, Yorkton, Saskatchewan got tennis ball sized hail and 2 tornados: Link. Rain again today, and report of additional tornados, though we are back from the area.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had some pretty good thunder and lightning this afternoon, along with a spot of fairly heavy rain, which felt as if it had cleared the air a bit, but they're still forecasting for it to go up to 30°C with a Humidex of 37 tomorrow.

[Frown]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Join in singing Happy Birthday to Pete on the birthday thread!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Absolutely. [Smile]

--------------------

# 3200

Half way through August?!?!

Where'd it go?

But, as I say at work, I'm still wondering where the 90's went. [Biased]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I know what you mean, Og - D's niece is getting married next weekend - how on earth did she get to be old enough for that???

--------------------

# 3200

Didn't know where else to put this.

If all of Canada tuned into the Tragically Hip concert last night, and neither me nor anybody I know did, am I still Canadian?

(Actually my wife and I tried to listen at one point last night but after about 5 songs my wife and I remembered why we don't really like that band - certain lyrics are great but other things, in particular his singing, just do not engage us musically)

Like I think its sad when anybody has cancer. And I think its sad when any artist stops doing what they do. And I think its great that the CBC could play that last concert for so many people so they could deal with their grief.

And in theory I'm the demographic that should be right into that thing - small city raised, white, college or university educated, same age as Downie actually, was into indie music back in the late 80's and still is interested in indie music today.

But not only wasn't I ever really interested in the Tragically Hip, I also recognise that my country isn't completely like the people who were celebrating last night. Self awareness I suppose. And yet...I heard a lot of lack of self awareness about that concert. There were memes running around about this being a good time for somebody to invade, or sneak over, or sorry we are busy and will get back to you tomorrow. And there was also a lot of "So proud to be Canadian" stuff being said.

I understand the whole grieving of what will no longer be thing. What we are seeing is a longer version of what happens when an artist dies unexpectedly - the art stops - no more art will come. And part of that is wanting to be together with a group and recognise the communal grief. Its why people drop off flowers at a shrine for a dead artist, its why people watch and read and listen at those times. The need to deal with the loss is easier when others acknowledge that loss. And I know that in times of personal grief, we wonder why the rest of the world isn't grieving with us. When my Dad died, I wondered for a bit how people could not know that somebody around them was grieving.

So I get the need to do a communal grief thing.

But when people start assuming the whole of the country is like them, I get worried that maybe we are not as far along on the acceptance of others spectrum as we think we are. From what I was seeing and hearing a lot of people were assuming that everybody wanted to be there, that everybody knows who that band is, that everybody will miss the music. In fact, a certain demographic within Canada tends to like their music. And what I struggle with is that demographic is largely white, overwhelmingly university educated, and largely suburban or small town. It doesn't represent a whole chunk of the country (just as I know I and my lack of interest in the Tragically Hip does not represent a whole chunk of the country). So, what people were proud of last night was not something quintessentially Canadian but something quintesentially who they are.

Admittedly, the view expressed were not as [Projectile] as the ads on Rogers channels suggesting hockey has defined Canada and therefore watch these hockey games coming up because they have spent billions on it and their shareholders might get cross.

I guess I saw a lot of lack of self awareness last night. I saw a lot of people very proud of their country and very proud to like this band that other countries do not know of. But the Tragically Hip did not, does not and will not define what the whole of this country is - it can't because this country is more diverse then the group of people that I saw celebrating last night. And I'm not saying the Hip think they represent everything about Canada.

I just think sometimes we havn't come that far in cultural awareness when a large chunk of the country, a chunk which frankly has a lot of privilege, thinks what it is doing communally is what everybody is doing.

[ 21. August 2016, 13:07: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I tried to listen as well. I think it's maybe a younger crowd. I don't actually know any of their songs, and to my, it all sounds the same.

And now I'm channelling 1972 and my parents. My wife pointed out the April Wine, Lighthouse and Sass Jordan played at the Saskatoon Exibition a week ago. Could sing one song to her only, don't recall any others. , in the morning before her coffee: One Fine Morning Girl I Wake Up.... to have it remain a fine morning, I had to stop.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Underlying all the recent nationalist canonization of the Tragically Hip is the claim that they somehow represent the spirit of Canada unlike any other band. But it's not clear to me why the same thing couldn't be said about, for example, The Guess Who or Rush.

It always seems to come around to someone pointing out that they never made it big in the US. Which is kind of an odd way to judge their Canadian-ness. Was Elvis any less American because he was popular in other countries as well? The Beatles any less British?

Basically, people seem to be using the Tragically Hip as a case study to say "See? There are some things that Canadians like that Americans don't, therefore, we're a different culture". Which I suppose is true, as far as it goes, but it seems like the wrong way to judge a band, or for that matter, that band's connection to the larger culture.

[ 21. August 2016, 16:33: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Admittedly, the view expressed were not as [Projectile] as the ads on Rogers channels suggesting hockey has defined Canada and therefore watch these hockey games coming up because they have spent billions on it and their shareholders might get cross.

I think the pukiest example I've seen of that sorta thing was an advertising flier circulated by one of the Big 5 banks, advising people to save money(through using the bank's services, of course). The gist of the pitch was that Candians used to be thrifty, but are now not so much so. It opened(roughly)...

"There are some things that are really Canadian. Hockey, touques, Double Doubles..."

(emphasis mine)

I think it was the only time in my life that I've seen one corporation advertise another corporation's product(*), without it being part of a formal tie-in campaign.

(*) To the extent that a coffee with two servings of sugar and two servings of milk even counts as a distinct product.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
But when people start assuming the whole of the country is like them, I get worried that maybe we are not as far along on the acceptance of others spectrum as we think we are. From what I was seeing and hearing a lot of people were assuming that everybody wanted to be there, that everybody knows who that band is, that everybody will miss the music. In fact, a certain demographic within Canada tends to like their music. And what I struggle with is that demographic is largely white, overwhelmingly university educated, and largely suburban or small town. It doesn't represent a whole chunk of the country (just as I know I and my lack of interest in the Tragically Hip does not represent a whole chunk of the country). So, what people were proud of last night was not something quintessentially Canadian but something quintesentially who they are.

Colby Cosh respectfully argues that the Tragically Hip were largely reflective of southern Ontario culture.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Sorry, just to avoid confusion, the bit I quoted above is from Og, not Cosh. I thought Og's quote made a good segue into Cosh's observations.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Until whoever it was who got brain cancer, I didn't even know that there was such a group. Given that you can survive brain cancer after surgical intervention for a few more good years, as my neighbour did, what will happen when the 2016 Farewell tour segues into the 2017 or possibly even the 2018 one?

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Until whoever it was who got brain cancer, I didn't even know that there was such a group. Given that you can survive brain cancer after surgical intervention for a few more good years, as my neighbour did, what will happen when the 2016 Farewell tour segues into the 2017 or possibly even the 2018 one?

Probably the same thing that happened when The Who did their "farewell tour" in '82(CBC made a big deal about their last show being in Toronto, though I doubt that was anything more than a scheduling decision), and then got back together for Live Aid in '85, some awards show in '87, another tour of the UK and North America in '89, and, well, the rest is history.

In other words, the fans will just say "Cool, the band is touring again", and forget how weepy they all got during the farewell.

--------------------

# 3200

Yeah I did notice a correlation between liking this band and discussion about going to the cottage.

I like the one line in that article

quote:
The Hip are a sweaty, churning bar band, crankily averse to technical virtuosity, fronted by a freaky, funky beatnik who dances like even God could not possibly be watching. They are grinding, industrial urbanity trying to escape itself, consoling itself with talk of the sea and the stars.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An enthusiastic and appreciative professor friend, currently exiled in The Asylum of South Carolina, called me to express her enthusiasm for someone who spoke for all of Canada, and I had to gently mention that il n'a pas chanté en français-- pas un mot.

While I am in the Hip's demographic, I never warmed to their music and, when I watched the broadcast, I cannot say that I knew or much liked any of the songs. However I was able to catch the strong emotion in the crowd and, much like Oliver Schroer's Farewell to Earth tour before he died, I appreciated that the artist was going full blast with his talent as long as he could.

Some years ago, I heard him play as the one-man accompaniment to a dance friend's performance, and I looked for a repeat of that, but it was clearly a one-off event, and suited an even smaller demographic; but I'll still keep it in my memory.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

First hard frost last night. Long sleeves for my outing with the dog at first light.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it snowing in Ottawa yet, Pete?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Augustine wrote:

quote:
While I am in the Hip's demographic
I've been thinking about their music, and how, despite claims about it representing some sort of Deep Canada, it really was pretty typical of the alternative sound that was popular in the late 80s and early 90s, ultimately seguing into grunge.

And then it occured to me that the band they really resembled was REM. The tone and mood of the respective bands are almost identical. Though I'll admit that the Hip had more coherent lyrics.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016