homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » From the Mull of Galloway to Muckle Flugga - Scotland 2016 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: From the Mull of Galloway to Muckle Flugga - Scotland 2016
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Although I've been an Anglican for nearly 30 years, I always enjoy going to St. Magnus Cathedral, which is Church of Scotland, when I'm home on holiday. IMHO a nicely-done traditional C. of S. service with plenty of proper metrical psalms is a Very Good Thing. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been today to 1pm the Scottish church in London. It is really great! There are butiful in it and nice people.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds a real blessing Daisymay [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just bought the CD Songs of Separation from the Isle of Eigg . Wow, that's beautiful.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love that CD, Le Roc. I'd really like to go to Eigg one day (most of those singers aren't from Eigg, but it's definitely the place to be for creative types. King Creosote's label moved there a few years ago too).

I really recommend you read Alastair McIntosh's "Soil and Soul", which tells the story (amongst other things) of the Eigg community buy-out. It's Quakerly eco-feminist activism of the most inspiring-and-slightly-bonkers type, I loved it.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know if any of you are planning to be in Orkney between now and the middle of June, but if you do, you'll get the chance to see this magnificent display of some of the ceramic poppies that were at the Tower of London in 2014, now in Kirkwall to mark the centenary of the Battle of Jutland.

I'm sad that we'll not be able to get there to see them in the flesh*, but any web-sites with Orkney connections will have pictures (there's a Facebook group called Orkney Past and Present which has some excellent ones).

* It's of particular significance to D., as his grandfather was on a ship which was sunk at the Battle of Jutland. Apparently he never spoke of his experiences except to say that the water was bloody cold.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and finally the names of the crew of HMS Hampshire lost with Lord Kitchener are being added to his memorial as well (well, to a wall round it). About time!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good - proper thing. [Smile]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I will be in the Scottish church tomorrow in London. It is also very good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enjoy it Daisymay!
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

It was lusly and really great. I do enjoy going to it.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Excellent [Yipee]
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

My sister is now in my home to visit and we are going to the Scottish church at this day, She was it a long time as me parent came down to work. She was little then.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Have a lovely time Daisymay [Smile]
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from a few weeks in Scotland, arriving there just in time to travel to Oban in blizzard, followed by a crawl through the snow across Mull in the bus. Iona was even more beautiful than usual after the snow. It was almost summer when I left Glasgow on Monday.

The elections were so much fun of course, but they had overshadowed the shockhorror news that the last bakery to make butteries in Stonehaven had closed, so they are now hauled overland from Inverurie. They are not the same and are by no means as satisfactory. A dreadful state of affairs. But it was good to be back there, and I miss it badly (despite being born in England!)

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

How could anyone manage not to be able to sell butteries in Stonehaven? [Big Grin]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ive been today at 1 to the Crown Chart Scotland. It is really excellent there. I love it - it is very far away from me !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One Inverurie bakery is aiming for north east rowie domination. The church Young* Wives visited the factory last year. It's an impressive set up, but they have expanded by taking over small local bakeries.

*Young in the Presbyterian sense of being under 65, mostly. One of the Young Wives is still under 40, just.

North East Quine, one of the church youngsters.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... North East Quine, one of the church youngsters.

That makes me feel better, as we're about the same age (give or take). [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The General Assembly starts tomorrow, so I'm up in the Burgh for a week. Those of a praying disposition, we could do with your efforts tomorrow, when the Big Issue Of Our Time is being discussed once again. *sigh*

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Climate change? Mass migration? Recrudescence of fascism? Global injustice?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If only ...

Although we will be talking the EU at some point, and we actually have an official position on this! A number of years ago we affirmed that the EU was a Good Thing, and are being asked to reaffirm that this year.

What's that you say? The Kirk, relevant? Ahead of the game, even? Shurely shome mishtake ...

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good luck with that, Cottontail - if the Kirk is anything like our lot, they'll argue about it for a while, then put it on the back burner again until next time ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Good luck with that, Cottontail - if the Kirk is anything like our lot, they'll argue about it for a while, then put it on the back burner again until next time ... [Roll Eyes]

I was all ready to laud you as prophetic, Piglet. But as it happens, the vote did carry. So that's something. Thanks to all pray-ers and well-wishers in general.

[ 21. May 2016, 22:47: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've been called a lot of things in my time, but I don't think "prophetic" was ever one of them! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Okay, so. Does anyone else feel that it's time for a Scottish Shipmeet? A wee Saturday outing sometime towards the end of June/beginning of July?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Sounds lovely, but we'll not be over the Pond until mid-August. [Frown]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by Cottontail:
Okay, so. Does anyone else feel that it's time for a Scottish Shipmeet? A wee Saturday outing sometime towards the end of June/beginning of July?

Now there's a thought. I'd be up for that [Big Grin]

[ 24. May 2016, 08:41: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We will be in the Central Belt the first weekend in July *cough* the Loon's graduation *cough* but also willing to travel at any other time.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's hard enough to plan for this evening, let alone July. But, if it's something the children might like I'm in (but, I also don't know what the mum has planned holiday wise, so I may be child-free in which case I can also be in). Or, I could be in Japan, in which case I'm out.

IOW, plan something. I'll make it if I can. But, don't plan around me.

Is that clear?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Very clear, thank you, Alan. [Smile] I hope it works so that you can come. And I am sure we can work out something child-friendly.

And poor Piglet - but perhaps we can do a mini Edinburgh meet for you in August, like we did last time.

First weekend in July, as in NEQ's suggestion, means Saturday 2nd July. How does that work for others?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glasgow meet on Friday 12 August? Or Inverness on Friday 5 August?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry CK, can't do your Glasgow date.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

August is a bit tricky for me too. I've got holidays and things around then.

Re. a family friendly venue - rather than an evening meal, we did an afternoon outing before to Almond Vale. It might be nice to do something similar. How would people feel about somewhere like Stirling for a change?

I should probably open a separate thread.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just reading the mutterings about potential for a meet in August sometime - I am contemplating the possibility of a trip up to see my brother West of Glasgow and would rather like the chance to combine it with a meet if there is one. He doesn't know I'm planning to visit yet [Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Saturday 2nd July is good for me.

I've no axe to grind over location as have car or access to train and will travel.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stirling would work for us [Big Grin] There are a few family-friendly options not too far away - eg the safari park (although I don't think that's particularly cheap), or next to the safari park is Briarlands Farm (not as good as Almondvale, to be honest, but good enough!). Or if the weather's nice, a wander round the university campus might be nice too. All of those are probably best reached by car though, although the uni is on bus routes from Stirling and Bridge of Allan stations.

I think 2nd July would be OK for us.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

What's the castle like to visit, JtL? I've never been up there. Is it family friendly at all? And is it a small fortune to enter like Edinburgh Castle?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stirling Castle isn't quite as expensive as Edinburgh. Though since I've a Historic Scotland card I've not really noticed the prices.

I tend to prefer Stirling to Edinburgh. For a start, at least when I've been, it isn't as madly packed with tourists.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Stirling Castle is a little bit cheaper than Edinburgh Castle (free for HS members), but not loads (about £2 a ticket cheaper for adults). There's plenty to do and see there - I personally prefer it to Edinburgh Castle (although it doesn't have anything as lovely as St Margaret's Chapel). We go there several times a year (it's the ideal place to take out-of-town visitors). I think there'd be plenty for kids of various ages, and the guided tour is pretty good too. It has a cafe which does hot food and sandwiches etc. And some great views, as you can imagine for a castle on a giant rock.

Cottontail, one of these days I will manage to persuade you to join Historic Scotland (or whatever it is it's calling itself these days). [Smile]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could do a shipmeet in July. If suitable for the Daflings (ages four and one) I should be able to bring them along barring illnesses, friend's birthday parties, etc.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Cottontail, one of these days I will manage to persuade you to join Historic Scotland (or whatever it is it's calling itself these days). [Smile]

Acksherly, I, who live so near Hadrian's Wall country, am currently a member of English Heritage. [Razz]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

English Heritage membership gets you a discount for Historic Scotland properties (and, vice versa). Life membership gets you free admission.

[ 27. May 2016, 22:47: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Full of Chips and I would both like to visit Stirling Castle; it's been years since we were there last.
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Okay, then shall we try to make a decision? The proposal with the most traction seems to be:

Day: Saturday 2nd July
Time: 11am??
Place: Stirling Castle

The castle's website reports a nice cafe suitable for families, and also lists some family-friendly activities here.

Prices are here. As we said, not cheap, but those with Historic Scotland membership will be able to wander in.

It seems that there is also a desire for a shipmeet in August, when Curiosity and Piglet are around. We could always have a meal in Glasgow, or somewhere.

And of course, all of this is easily adjusted if it doesn't suit many people. THe Briarlands Farm suggestion is still there.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I love the idea of another meet, but our time is so tied up with travelling from one end of the country to the other that I'm wary of suggesting anything, especially this time, as we've got a wedding in the south of England to factor into our timetable, and as D. will have only just started his new job, I don't even know how much time we'll have - it may be a slightly shorter holiday than we're used to.

I think my best bet is to say, if you want to arrange a meet, absolutely do, and if I can, I'll try and fit it in, but don't try and fit it round me.

For those of you meeting on 2nd July*, perhaps it would be an idea to start a new thread to make your arrangements.

* feel free to raise a glass - 2nd July will be our 28th wedding anniversary (and Thomas Cranmer's 527th birthday [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It wasn't an entirely serious comment. I would love to see people if you're around, but I'm wandering around a bit, which was why the two dates I gave are in different places.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

I'm up for Stirling - I have Hysteric Scotland membership and I'd like to see the tapestries and the apartments which were being restored last time I was there.
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

No worries, Piglet. New thread has been started.

Re. August: if you and Curiosity let us know nearer the time when and where you might be around and available, then it might be possible for a few folks to get together in one of the big cities. We've certainly done that before. It would be very nice to see you both again if that works out, but understood if your itineraries are too tightly packed.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Cottontail - I'll let you know once I know more myself. Meanwhile have a great time in Stirling - it does sound like an enjoyable place for a day out.

Hope the sun shines on you! [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016