homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » From the Mull of Galloway to Muckle Flugga - Scotland 2016 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: From the Mull of Galloway to Muckle Flugga - Scotland 2016
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In other news, did any of you see the Jutland commemorations from Orkney on TV on Tuesday? Being in Foreign Parts™, the BBC wouldn't even let me watch the links in the Daily Telegraph, but one or two bits were You-Tubed and posted to Facebook (notably the bagpiper in the Cathedral, whose late father married us, and the bloke singing Lonely Scapa Flow).

Lots of photographs were posted as well, and videos of the parades and other outside bits; the whole thing really made me rather proud to be an Orcadian (and even made my mother-in-law, who's English, proud to be an Orcadian-by-association).

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ive been at the Scottish church today and it is very good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's great Daisymay
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I visited Aberdeenshire's latest tourist attraction; Peterhead prison museum. It was very good and apparently will get better as they are still working on some displays.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Serendipity meant we wandered down to Kirkwall Harbour yesterday evening, nosily went over to see what the crowd were doing and stayed to watch the dolphin for half an hour. Really close views of it both above and below the surface. I'm only on line to check that I was identifying it correctly. The people arriving said they'd heard about it on the book of the face, but there are also photos on Twitter.

Another joy was finding out that a monthly service is held in the Italian Chapel in the summer on the first Sunday of the month, so we didn't only visit it, we attended a service (and also St Magnus Cathedral for the morning service). Stupid question, if the Church of Scotland does not have cathedrals, how come St Magnus and the cathedral in Glasgow?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Stupid question, if the Church of Scotland does not have cathedrals, how come St Magnus and the cathedral in Glasgow?

AIUI it's historical. The Church of Scotland had bishops and therefore cathedrals until the Glorious Revolution (with time out for the Civil War). At the Glorious Revolution the bishops all refused to swear allegiance to William of Orange and left to found the Scottish Episcopal Church (as they didn't call it). The cathedrals, however, were still called by their old names even though they were now no longer episcopal seats.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St. Magnus is also in an interesting position in that it doesn't belong to the Church - King James III gave it to the "burghers of Kirkwall" in a charter in 1486 (apparently the bishop at the time was getting a bit uppity). This means that it was looked after by Kirkwall Town Council (now Orkney Islands Council), who pay for the (considerable) costs of upkeep - mediaeval buildings don't just look after themselves ...

The Church of Scotland has the use of the building for Sundays and other services, but the only costs the congregation has to pay are the salaries of the clergy and organist* and a portion of the heat and light.

* When D. held the position about 30 years ago, the organist's salary didn't even get into four figures.

[ 08. August 2016, 02:51: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is also St Machar's Cathedral in Aberdeen and Dornoch Cathedral. The names are historic. Similarly Aberdeen Grammar School and various other Grammar schools are state comprehensives.

Seeing a dolphin close up must have been amazing. I've seen them at a distance and would love a better view.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We got the boat out of Stornoway on Thursday afternoon. We'd been told in the morning that there was a pod of dolphins playing with the ferries just outside the harbour. But, by the time we sailed 3h later they had obviously moved on.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do always to the church on thunday from London to Scottish one. It is very good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Seeing a dolphin close up must have been amazing. I've seen them at a distance and would love a better view.

Dolphins are beautiful creatures. There are many places along the coasts here where you can get onto a Dolphin Cruise - a largish launch takes you offshore a bit, and you watch a pod. Boats have to keep a decent distance from them. Morning or afternoon tea is usually nothing much, but that's not the point of it.

Even better is to watch them surf from a breakwater or a jetty. They clearly enjoy coming in on a wave, then heading back to catch another. But the best of all is to be surfing yourself, turn and see a dolphin next to you. That's happened twice to me down the coast, but locals speak of it as a regular event.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been on a boat trip in Greece where we encountered a pod. Most were a little distance away doing the synchronised acrobatics but from time to time one would flash up alongside the boat as if racing it.

A long time ago I lived in a flat overlooking Cardigan Bay. Summer evenings as the sun westered over the sea, you could see porpoises beaking the shimmering water.

My other dolphin- related memory is of Vancouver Aquarium where one was introduced as the little friend of the orca. I have a photograph which shows the pool, and the tiered seating round it and, if you carefully, in the sky above, the dolphin. (Needless to say, when the orca jumped, what you mainly saw was a lot of displaced water coming your way).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This dolphin looked as if it was enjoying the audience. Several times it swam towards the group on the harbour wall, head up briefly, then a couple of waggles of the tail over the surface before the head came up again. It also turned next to the harbour wall a few times, one time it was close enough and shallow enough to see its full length under water. (You will be able to identify me correctly, I'll make sure you all get a good enough view.)

It circled the harbour quite a few times, but also headed as if leaving the harbour entrance but not quite.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've seen Harbour Dolphins a couple of times over the years, I think once when moonlitdoor was here, and they are splendid creatures.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Similarly Aberdeen Grammar School and various other Grammar schools are state comprehensives ...

Including Kirkwall Grammar, my alma mater, which evolved from the Cathedral "Sang School" and, as D. used to say, has been comprehensive since the 12th century* ... [Big Grin]

There have been a few photographs of the Kirkwall harbour dolphin (apparently called Donald) on the "Orkney Past and Present" Facebook page.

* Probably not quite, but it's a nice thought.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

We went to the Scottish church this evening in Londan and it was very good !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We once had a holiday crewing on a schooner (Trinovante), sailing from Mallaig round to Dingle. As we came down the Irish coast, under power rather than sail because there was no wind, there suddenly seemed to be dolphins everywhere - under the hull it was wall-to-wall dolphins, and all their friends were appearing on the horizon, ticking through the water in little groups, until the sea seemed to be full of them [Overused]

That will be one of my deathbed memories; that and seeing them through binoculars, tail-walking I swear, in the harbour. We've seen them in the Ionian, but never in such numbers [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, who won 'Dolphin's Friend' award on one sailing holiday [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am in Scotland. Argyll is not a part I know well but I am thoroughly enjoying it!

I am, however, deeply confused by the clear blue skies, the sun and the heat... (I am reminded that the schools are returning this week, and this could be the cause.)

[ 16. August 2016, 17:00: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That sounds about right, Japes - the traditional mid-August heatwavelet applied even in Orkney, where I went to school. [Big Grin]

I hope they're still having nice weather the weekend after next, when I'm going to be there.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I.e been at the Scottish kirk church this at one and it was very good.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm tempted to skip church on Sunday

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I'm tempted to skip church on Sunday

Wow, looks great!
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the historical re-enactment events my viking friends do. On Sundays they include spiritual (including Christian) matters. One of my friends makes books using calligraphy and binds them in traditional ways. They introduce people to ancient monastic traditions. When they did the Viking Village in Thurso near where I grew up I visited and joined in.

Cattyish, happily remembering.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I can't envisage me ever getting a tattoo, but if I did, it would be the Pictish crescent and V rod. I love it; I've had it as a henna tattoo.

Anyway, today I passed a man at a bus stop who had his head shaved and that very tattoo on the side of his head! He also had multiple piercings. So I stopped and chatted to him about the tattoo - why that design etc?- and said that it was my favourite tattoo design.

Then he said he had another Pictish tattoo and pulled his shirt open to reveal the Pictish beast! So I said "Wow!! That's my avatar! I use that online!"

He was very nice, but now I wonder if a young pierced, tattooed, head shaved young man really wants a frumpy middle aged fat woman telling him that they share the same taste in designs?

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you want tattoos, get them done in Scotland. That's what the infectious diseases consultant told me.

I suspect that yer young, pierced and tattooed gent. was fair delighted to show off his beastie tattoo.

Cattyish, I've seen many tattoos.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I understand they have them in Edinburgh at this time of year ...

I'll see myself out. [Big Grin]

I'm heading northwards tomorrow (I'm currently at D's mum's in Essex) and flying up to Edinburgh tomorrow evening, and then going up to Orkney with my sister for a brief visit to my dad over the weekend before heading back to Canada on Monday.

You will try and not have the weather too hot, won't you? I'm absolutely frazzled down here - 29° is not within the comfort-zone of the lesser-spotted Orcadian piglet.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ive been in the Scottish church in London to this evening and it is very good. I love it.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is good to hear,daisymay. It is great to find somewhere where you feel a good fit for you. (Actually meaning a generic you, not just daisymay.)

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have had the most lovely holiday in Scotland and am readjusting to daily life back in the middle of England with maybe not the best grace...

I won't leave it as long next time. Seven years away is too much.

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

Japes, seven years sounds like a very long time. Haste ye back!

It's rather warm around here today and I nearly melted running, then nearly melted again when Mr C decided we could go for a nice walk before tea.

The washing is largely dry, with just a couple of things to air out properly and about six items on the line. That should be everything ready to pack for New Yoik on Saturday. [Yipee] I have bought some tartan pencils and small wooden heilan' coos to take along as small gifts, and I have Tetley's tea and Cadbury's chocolate as ordered for our friends.

Cattyish, still procratinating with skill and effect.

--------------------
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
... Seven years away is too much.

Certainly would be! [Eek!]

I had a lovely couple of days in Orkney - the weather was pleasantly warm (for Orkney) but cool enough to be a blessed relief from what we'd had in the south.

When we visited my dad in the old people's home, there were people doing a doggy agility show in the garden, and it was lovely sitting outside watching them; they were pretty-much beginners, and consequently very entertaining! [Smile]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I am being encouraged to tweet, and am posting this in the hope that the casual observer might think that I am tweeting. I'm at a lunchtime concert of C 18th music composed by, or dedicated to, women at the ever-wonderful Glasgow Women's Library.
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Sorry, Cattyish and Piglet, I've only just seen your kind responses. I definitely won't leave it as long again.

I do admit, it is not outside the realms of probability that moving to Scotland in my older age would be on the cards. Work, for now, is most easily found in England for me, though, (as it was for my Scottish parents, and their Scottish parents and other relations) and unless that changes I will stay here.

I loved the years I lived in Scotland in the early 2000s, and it took a very long time to readjust when I was moved South again.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Off to Inverness. The museum is commemorating my axe murderer great uncle!
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Why did he murder an axe?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Because he couldn't find a hatchet?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps the hatched was buried!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bollocks, cannae spell. A hatchet was meant, a hatchet it is.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think if any of my great-uncles were a murderer (axe or otherwise) I'd probably rather that people just forget about it ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I think if any of my great-uncles were a murderer (axe or otherwise) I'd probably rather that people just forget about it ... [Eek!]

Some of us don't have any heroic or even good ancestors, so we have to make do with our villains. According to my Dear Old Mother, one of ours on my father's side was strung up in Edinburgh, which led to the Porteous riot. I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back it up, apart from tradition and an intriguing similarity to some continuing family names. Virtue may be its own reward, but villainy makes better stories.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think someone once said:

quote:
The evil that men do lives after them,
the good is oft interred with their bones

[It's a good line, that - perhaps someone should put it in a play.]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I think someone once said:

quote:
The evil that men do lives after them,
the good is oft interred with their bones

[It's a good line, that - perhaps someone should put it in a play.]
I don't think anyone would ever come to see it, or any other plays by someone who would write a line like that.
[Disappointed]

(But if anyone is that desperate, the RSC will be doing it this coming season.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I had a great evening at the launch of the Next of Kin exhibition.

The BBC website fails to mention that "defending himself" with an axe actually meant killing people. He was mentioned in dispatches as having killed three, the regimental history claims he killed five, but the Inverness Courier claimed that he killed ten men single handedly. When I was a girl, the museum displayed the press cuttings, full of gory detail. Now he is just described as "fending off" the attacking Germans with his axe.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My only connection to the First World War was a great-uncle, Tom, who was killed shortly after arriving in France. I don't even know if he actually saw any action; my understanding is that he was killed accidentally by a mis-fire from his own gun.

At least it wasn't a mis-fire from NEQ's Great-Uncle George's axe ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I had a great evening at the launch of the Next of Kin exhibition.

The BBC website fails to mention that "defending himself" with an axe actually meant killing people. He was mentioned in dispatches as having killed three, the regimental history claims he killed five, but the Inverness Courier claimed that he killed ten men single handedly. When I was a girl, the museum displayed the press cuttings, full of gory detail. Now he is just described as "fending off" the attacking Germans with his axe.

A brave man indeed, unlike any of my known ancestors, but how did he happen to have a forester's axe with him on the front line? A pocket knife I could understand, but a dirty great two handed axe as well as the usual personal artillery?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

His machine gun had jammed, and he was supposed to either bring it back or disable it to prevent it being used by the Germans. I assume he had the axe for the specific purpose of disabling the gun.

The citation in the London Gazette described it as an "axe" but the local newspaper reports called it a "trench hatchet" Each description varies considerably in detail. It may well have been something much smaller than a forester's axe.

What baffles me is why he was awarded the Russian Order of St George.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

quote:
His machine gun had jammed, and he was supposed to either bring it back or disable it to prevent it being used by the Germans. I assume he had the axe for the specific purpose of disabling the gun.

The citation in the London Gazette described it as an "axe" but the local newspaper reports called it a "trench hatchet" Each description varies considerably in detail. It may well have been something much smaller than a forester's axe.

What baffles me is why he was awarded the Russian Order of St George.

That makes perfectly good sense, and it's also a cautionary lesson in how history is written and passed on. Take David and Goliath for example. Goliath may just have been a wee Glaswegian with a really filthy temper, but it made a much more memorable story if he was written up as a giant.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
[...] What baffles me is why he was awarded the Russian Order of St George.

The Revolution was young, and they were happy to support anyone who showed bravery against the Germans, I suppose.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
[...] What baffles me is why he was awarded the Russian Order of St George.

The Revolution was young, and they were happy to support anyone who showed bravery against the Germans, I suppose.
If the Order of St George was awarded in 1915, the Revolution would have been so young it was premature. Besides, the "Order of St George" would be an unusual title for an award given by an Atheist, Communist Revolutionary government.

It would seem much more likely it was awarded by Tsarist Russia, before the Revolution. Which, of course, adds nothing to why it was awarded to a Scotsman for actions in Flanders.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I just knew my post was premature, not having looked up the date. [Roll Eyes] Though, as long as the Russians could get one over the Germans, I guess that part still counts. Except that we may not know the exact circumstances.

The Wiki link to the Order is here; not sure if this will help to elucidate the mystery. But it seems that at least two more Brits got it bestowed on them in WW1. Hmm.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016