homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » London Meets

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: London Meets
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because we started this hare on the Truth Universally Acknowledged thread, and I don't want to derail it any further, who's up for a London meet? When and Where? Do we want a walk meet?

The other hare was Folk by the Oak, which is a one day Folk Festival at Hatfield House on 24 July this year. The headline act is Lau. Sorry, no useful links to anything because I'm on my phone. I've already bought a ticket if we want to turn that into a meet too.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You beat me to it CK - I was going to start a thread about a London meet too. It sounds like a walk or a visit to a museum, followed by a pub would allow people to pick and choose the bits they like. I can't do the May bank holiday Sunday, or the weekend of the 11/12 June or the last Saturday in June but other times are free at the moment.
Folk by the Oak sounds great but I'll be in Italy then.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did someone say pub? Sounds good to me..

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm around the bank holiday weekend, but busy the weekend after, then around until the end of June.

If anyone else wants to play I'm going to A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Globe on Saturday 28 May - £5 standing ticket. Emma Rice, the new producer at the Globe, is apparently producing gender-bending versions of the plays, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy this season, although this particular version sounds interesting from the reviews - a very different take on Hippolyta.

On a completely different tack, I'm going to Barking Folk Festival on Saturday 11 June because I want to see Seth Lakeman. Badly Drawn Boy is headlining on the Sunday.

If we do anything on 18 June can we be near Greenwich please? Greenwich being the home of the National Maritime Museum, Royal Observatory, Painted Hall and Chapel, all of which are lovely. (I'm seeing Fay Hield at the Blackheath Halls that evening.)

Also at the Globe, on Saturday 9th July I'm seeing The Taming of the Shrew - again £5 standing tickets if anyone wants to see that.

Folk by the Oak if anyone else wants to play - is Sunday 24 July. I really enjoyed it last year and there are a few acts I want to see on the line up.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm visiting the parents for bank holiday weekend so might be able to join an evening meet, location dependent. Pregnancy making me flaky though so can't guarantee attendance...

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
If anyone else wants to play I'm going to A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Globe on Saturday 28 May - £5 standing ticket. Emma Rice, the new producer at the Globe, is apparently producing gender-bending versions of the plays, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy this season, although this particular version sounds interesting from the reviews - a very different take on Hippolyta...

Also at the Globe, on Saturday 9th July I'm seeing The Taming of the Shrew - again £5 standing tickets if anyone wants to see that.

I'm looking forward to The Taming of the Shrew on Saturday, 25 June, and A Midsummer Night's Dream on Sunday, 26 June! I'm too old to stand, so I have seats and even pre-ordered cushions.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

That's a shame Pigwidgeon, I missed you last time as I wasn't around and I'm away this time again. I'm off to York to see my daughter, the National Rail Museum and the York Mystery Play at York Minster (possibly not in that order).

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't do the bank holiday weekend as I'm out doing the South Downs Way. Encouragingly, the early forecast from the Met Office reads:
quote:
more unsettled and breezy conditions will develop from the south as bands of showery rain, perhaps thundery, push northwards across central and southern areas. These unsettled conditions are then likely to extend across all parts, with the wettest weather most likely in the south
[Waterworks] [brick wall] [Tear]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would be up for something, at some time, especially if the pub is involved!
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pigwidgeon, Macarius and I can't make that weekend, but would love to meet you again.

So depending on dates, would be up for a pub met.

M.,

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
M., I'm away from home for a few days, but I'll send you a p.m. when I get home. I remember meeting the two of you three years ago, and it would be nice if we could get together again. I have a pretty tight schedule, and I know you do as well.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Pigwidgeon!

M.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

How about a meet on Saturday 18 June? Walk or a museum or summat, with pub in the evening?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds a possibility, enough flexiblity that I should manage at least one bit of it!

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm interested, and I'm pretty flexible on when.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
How about a meet on Saturday 18 June? Walk or a museum or summat, with pub in the evening?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends when we're moving.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it look like a meet might happen?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Sorry, we're busy on 18th.

M.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I can do the day of 18th June, but I am going to a concert on the Saturday evening. I would be up for a day time meeting and Greenwich would be lovely for me, but anywhere along the Thames / Southbank.

(I've also managed to double book myself on the evening of 18th June, so have a reasonable ticket to give away. I've rebooked the spare ticket for another date).

I'm away the following weekend 25/26 June but am around the following weekend.

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may join you at some point in the day! I will keep an eye on what the plans are!
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is very lastminute.com, but I've been at a conference in Westminster today and it's finished early. If anyone wants to meet between now and about 7 let me know quick!

(In full realisation that it's very unlikely anyone will be around at this short notice)

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Bugger. If I'd seen that an hour ago I'd have definitely been up for it. Next time maybe.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it goes. All the best guys.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sorry, I've only just seen this too. I would have abandoned work earlier had I been reading the Ship (not trying to deal with the pile of stuff on my desk).

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Me too! I just arrived in London this afternoon and would have loved a mini-Shipmeet.
[Frown]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
**bump**

Just bumping this thread in anticipation of a hostly Hoover, in case the London meets are an ongoing thing.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can hear the humming of the vacuum in the distance too.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Just because there was a suggestion of a meet on either 8 or 15 October to replace the comet meet that isn't happening. Is anyone interested?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Could be - I know 8th is already booked, but the 15th ought to be OK

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello!

Having not been very involved in Ship stuff for the last few, um, years, I'm now preparing to depart England's green and pleasant land for a sojourn in the land down under, followed by taking up a new job in the Emerald Isle.

Since I've been really bad at keeping in touch with people, it'd be nice to have a shipmeet (either in London or in Oxford if people are able to come up) before I disappear.

It's a bit restricted because I've already been filling my diary with things, but good days for me would include:

Thursday evening 20 Oct
Sunday lunch/afternoon 6 Nov
Thursday afternoon/evening 10 Nov
Friday afternoon/evening 11 Nov
Sunday lunch/afternoon 13 Nov

Would any of those possibilities work for people?

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could do ...

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Damn, I wish I'd looked at this thread before starting booking tickets earlier! However of that list, I can do all but the evening of Friday 11 (booked months ago) or the lunchtime of Sunday 13 November (Remembrance Parade with Guides)

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Oh, and the 20th October I'm at a lecture in the early evening (7pm to 8pm) so wouldn't arrive until around 8:30pm/9pm (but if I was coming straight from work I'd struggle to get in much earlier), again booked months ago.

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't feel guilty! I could probably have started arranging things months ago...

Who else might be interested in a London Shipmeet?

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally on the computer that I'm logged into the Ship on.

I'm up for an UltraC is leaving us Meet. Wonder if having it as its own thread might get some more traction?

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds a great idea to me - UltraC, pick a date and start a new thread and I'm sure you'll get a better response.

WW

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016