homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Gene Wilder, RIP

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Gene Wilder, RIP
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gene Wilder, beloved star of "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory" (WWATCF), "Young Frankenstein", "The Producers", and many other films, died of Alzheimer's complications at his home in Connecticut. I think the news said he was 83.

WWATCF came out when I was a depressed teen, and did me a lot of good, and much of that was due to Gene's portrayal of WW. YF has so many great lines and sight gags. And TP was basically Mel Brooks flipping off the Nazis. Much silliness and naughtiness. Then there's "The Frisco Kid", where Gene played a rather naive and gentle rabbi, sent from New York (?) to San Francisco in the days of the Old West. And on, and on.

Thanks, Gene. May you find light and peace--and Gilda!*
[Votive]

*(His late wife, comedienne Gilda Radner. Oh, and when she died of too-late-diagnosed ovarian cancer, he started Gilda's Place for women with cancer.)

[ 30. August 2016, 09:01: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A huge talent and I agree he will be hugely missed.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child, I watched 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' times beyond counting. (I suspect that certain of my own mannerisms are feebly copied from Wilder's Willy Wonka.) The second film version of the book simply did not have the magic - it was Wilder who had the magic.

[Votive] May he rest in peace.

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 269 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WWATCF is one of the films I most hate in all the world. I suspect that's because Wilder was so good at playing WW whom I loathed even in the books.

"Young Frankenstein" and "The Producers", on the other hand, are two of the highest ranking films in my personal list of "Absolute Greatest Comedy Films Ever Made Ever So There". Wilder has, through these two films and others, given me many, many hours of laughter; that's a precious gift to have given.

[Votive]

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Producers is terrific. Even when you go to the stage musical, which was a monster hit, the actor playing Leo Bloom has to channel Wilder.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
the actor playing Leo Bloom has to channel Wilder.

Who was, of course, the underrated, why-don't-we-see-more-of-him Matthew Broderick.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP Gene Wilder.

I have a fondness for Blazing Saddles. He was so excellent in that.

[Votive]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tobias:
When I was a child, I watched 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' times beyond counting. (I suspect that certain of my own mannerisms are feebly copied from Wilder's Willy Wonka.) The second film version of the book simply did not have the magic - it was Wilder who had the magic.

[Votive] May he rest in peace.

I idolized Wilder when I was a kid, based on this movie. I just decided all the sneering was an act, and the kindness and joy WW showed at the end was the real thing.

And yeah, I think that was down to Wilder being himself.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
RIP Gene Wilder.

I have a fondness for Blazing Saddles. He was so excellent in that.

[Votive]

Every couple of years we have a "Blazing Saddles Evening" with friends. I think another is due.

RIP indeed, with many thanks.

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, you'll have the good taste not to mention it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Young Frankenstein did for me, there some excellent parodies on the old original with Karloff.

His other effort that had me in stitches was The Woman in Red.
Great talent, great contribution to Cinema
[Votive]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the combination of Wilder and Feldman in Young Frankenstein was magical casting, it rarely gets better than that.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
His other effort that had me in stitches was The Woman in Red.

I'm glad you said that as I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world who remembered that film.

Often forgotten, but a great performance from Wilder and yet another example of his brilliant comic timing.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blazing Saddles never fails to raise a hoot.

RIP Mr. Wilder.

[ 01. September 2016, 00:16: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being sick at the moment, I watched Silver Streak yesterday. Not GW's leading movie by far, but he and Richard Pryor did work as a comedy team. It had quite a few recognisable faces, like Ray Walston (who I remember as "My Favourite Martian" when I was growing up).

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm watching 'Haunted House' right this minute, one of the GW and Gilda Radnor films (also featuring a much younger Jim Carter). Nobody makes this werewolf murder mystery/horror parodies with musical numbers anymore. *sigh*

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Haunted Honeymoon', not 'House'. My apologies.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You do the Eagle Rock with style and grace..."

Other night, a few weeks ago, I woke up from a nightmare and remembering Wilder's monologue about the " filthy figment of my diseased imagination" calmed me down.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Hope this is ok!)

News said that AMC theaters will be running "Wonka" and "Blazing Saddles" this weekend. Don't know if it's *every* AMC; but worth checking if you have an AMC near you.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
"You do the Eagle Rock with style and grace..."

Other night, a few weeks ago, I woke up from a nightmare and remembering Wilder's monologue about the " filthy figment of my diseased imagination" calmed me down.

[Big Grin] That's the one. I'll be humming it all evening now.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Terri Gross reran her 2005 radio interview with Gene Wilder. It's very good.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016