homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » London meet 2pm Sunday 13 November - UltraC says goodbye

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: London meet 2pm Sunday 13 November - UltraC says goodbye
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello!

As alluded to on the London Meets thread, I'm about to leave the UK, and it would be nice to catch up with shippies before I go. I know it's short notice, but would this Thursday evening (10 Nov) in a central location work for people? (If that doesn't, Sunday afternoon would also be good for me.)

Victoria is fairly easy for me to get to/from on the bus. Is that a convenient place to meet, and does anyone know a good pub in the area?

[ 10. November 2016, 21:31: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thursday evening's no good for me sadly, but Sunday afternoon is possible (?late lunch) if early enough to get back for an evening service.

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Jugged Hare is where we usually meet in the Victoria area. I couldn't get in until very late afternoon on Sunday, 4:30pm to 5pm at the earliest. (Guides, so therefore me, are taking part in a Remembrance Parade at 2pm)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thursday 10th is completely out for me, sadly.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. How about Sunday 13 Nov then?

I have another friend in London I've been meaning to catch up with; I'll see what he's up to. I could perhaps wander around cnetral London for a bit with my friend and whoever else (Qoheleth?) can't make later in the evening, with the aim of ending up at the Jugged Hare around 5pm or so?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a Paul Nash exhibition at Tate Britain (is the other reason I'd like to be in that area)

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Bee and I are in London next weekend, visiting the V & A in the morning. All being well and Mr Bee not being too tired we might be available too.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

The Paul Nash exhibition looks interesting, although I see that the Tate Britain is only open until 6pm, which might be awkward if Curiosity can only get there fairly late in the afternoon.

Tree Bee - Yay. That'd be fun if you can be around.

Qoheleth - What are your time constraints? I'm trying to work out if I can get to church in Oxford for the morning, and then head into London after that? It'd be a shame to miss you, although I'm starting to think that later in the afternoon might be more feasible for me.

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't try and fit around us - looking at the diary, I doubt very much that Sunday will be feasible either.

Sorry!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not good, this is not right.
There are major engineering works in/out of Waterloo on Sunday [Frown] .
<scurries off to rearrange evening service>

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

<scurries back in>

Yay [Yipee]
I have arranged cover for the evening, so I'm much more flexible from late-lunch onwards. [Smile]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I currently have membership of the Tate - so much less of a problem for only a short visit. There have been a number of exhibitions I wanted to see:
  • Alexander Calder earlier in the summer which I missed,
  • Georgia O'Keeffe, which I saw just before it closed,
  • Paul Nash has just started and
  • there is David Hockney to come.
It was worth me buying membership to see this lot (and the money came out of the funds I'd saved to pay dentist's fees that weren't needed, yay, celebration). I will be saving on the ticket price after three exhibitions.

My problem is how upright I am going to be, as I am struggling now.

Do you want me to text Yangtze?

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't do Thursday evening. I can do Sunday.

Seems like a late lunch might work - with some people joining even later possibly.

Jugged Hare is not the best pub in the world but is perfectly fine (and has decent beer) and has Shipmeet history.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Oh and I'm also a member of the Tate and can take a guest in for free and I'd like to see the Nash, so if you did want to go and do that before a Shipmeet pub lunch then happy to do that too.)

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to go along if I am aware of the date and venue and if I am available.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

Sounds like a plan is forming. How about a late lunch at The Jugged Hare, followed by wandering along to the Tate Britain? Would 2pm work for people? (That gives me a bit of time to get the bus from Oxford.)
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

That looks good for me.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I almost certainly cannot make it - I have a huge backlog of work which I will be spending Sunday frantically trying to catch up on. But if a miracle happens and I do manage to complete it, I might pop along to Tate Britain later in the day and will text someone to find out where you are. But really don't expect me - I really MUST exercise some will power.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I am hoping to come. I'll text Yangtze and find out where you are.

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

Excellent.

Smudgie - no worries. Much as it'd be lovely to see you on the weekend, I'm sure I'll be back from time to time!

2pm at the Jugged Hare it is, then. Looking forward to it! [Big Grin]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Do we need to ask a passing host to change the title to London meet - 2pm Sunday 13 November?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Tis done with a wave of my Hostly Fairy Wand.

WW - AS Host.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
I would like to go along if I am aware of the date and venue and if I am available.

If that is the outcome, I doubt if I can make it; I am on "home ground" in Surrey that time on a Sunday.

Have fun!

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

This is looking good for me; we will make it if we can.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Great. Looking forward to it - see you at 2pm tomorrow.

I assume that due to the Remembrance parade and service there will be various transport issues around Victoria, but shouldn't be too bad.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

I've discovered that I have Network Rail engineering works to contend with [brick wall] , and have swapped phone numbers with UltraC

Looking forward to it.

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

I'm on the bus and we've just got out of Oxford. I'm not 100% sure when I'll get to Victoria, but it will probably be later than 2, sorry. A friend of mine (who I went to school with in Australia) is also going to come along and join us.
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Ok! Will we recognise said friend?

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

He always used to have long hair and wear green, but I haven't caught up with him in years...

The bus is somewhere near Hyde Park now so it shouldn't be too long. Hopefully I'll also get to the pub before my friend!

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

It was so good to meet you both again, and Q and Oz friend for the first time. Mr Bee really enjoys the ship meets I 'drag' him along to!
Had a bracing and enjoyable walk back to our hotel, Big Ben looking spectacular in the setting sun.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

Thanks for coming! It was a lovely outing and I'm glad I headed down to London for a shipmeet before I head off to Ireland. I'll be back in the UK from time to time, so this is definitely something we'll need to do again!
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Nice seeing you again too and pleased I saw the Nash.

Daughter, btw, is Curious kitten on here. Even posts occasionally.

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

It was a great mini-meet. I only regret forgetting to order a mug from CK beforehand.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016