homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Thanks for the music - RIPLenoard Cohen

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Thanks for the music - RIPLenoard Cohen
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's always bad news when Radio New Zealand starts the bulletin with a snatch of a song before the newsreader has even said a word.

I was at High School when a daring student teacher played Suzanne for us to analyse - that was the first time I heard Cohen's music and I was hooked. I listened a lot while still living with my family and one of my brothers called it Music to jump off bridges by

I didn't listen to much music for a while- then, when I came back he was still there and I had a lot to catch up on.

This week has gone from bad to worse.

Huia

[ 11. November 2016, 02:20: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Disappointed] [Votive]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tears all over the keyboard again.

RIP Leonard Cohen.

[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such a loss. There was an amazing radio documentary about him, Leonard and Marianne broadcast over the summer, sadly not available now.

I fell in love with Leonard Cohen's music after seeing Arthur Smith's show. The show was built around the songs and told a personal story.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] So many wonderful songs.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Tear]

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I too gave up Cohen when I felt the cold breath of the black dog on the back of my neck [Ultra confused]

Now the lyrics don't have the same depressant effect any more and I love the poetry [Overused]

My favourite (I think!) is 'If it be your will'. Any one else here have a favourite?

Mrs. S, mourning again

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Listening to 'Songs from a Room' at this very moment... [Tear]

RIP, Leonard [Votive]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sing long and prosper! (Adapted from another Leonard)

[Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The top story on the news has changed. Thankfully.

I heard Suzanne sung the first time sitting on the roof of the crafthouse overlooking a lake at Camp Easter Seal*, my last summer of 5 working there, on a still August evening, having just finisher final clean-up and knowing I wouldn't be back. I went back visiting in the 1990s. It wasn't the same. Things won't be the same without the master of song. I wil try, in my way, to be free.

There's a very worthwhile album 'Famous Blue Raincoat' of Jennifer Warnes singing with Leonard.
"I'm glad you stood in my way."

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always one of my inner sanctum of muses, I survived my teenage angst by listening to Songs of Love and Hate ... "Avalanche", "Joan of Arc", "Last Year's Man", "Diamonds in the Mine", "Famous Blue Raincoat" ...

Later he reemerged for me with Jennifer Warnes' covers, and I was back on board, finding the originals as they emerged, buying, listening, reading ... and the unforgettable poem For Anne which as it happened came to have some strange resonances in my life, but which I loved and have remembered (not hard) since long before I knew that.

But dear God he has survived so much.

Thanks for shining a light, Mr Cohen. May your G-d be with you on the journey. Namaste. Shalom. [Votive]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a book of his poems and For Anne was my favourite too, something about its understated simplicity.

I went searching on You Tube last night and found many delights that had simply bypassed me completely, so while there will be no more new songs, there will be songs that are new to me.

Leonard Cohen will always occupy a unique place
for me because his first 2 albums were the soundtrack of my first serious relationship, though he has outlived my then partner by some 40 years or so. [Tear]

It's often a source of wonder to me how the grief of today's loss resonates with and illuminates previous losses.

Peace Alan, Shalom Leonard.

[ 11. November 2016, 17:39: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best concert I ever went to was Leonard Cohen on my 17th birthday in 1970. He seemed to play London often about that time, I saw him around my birthday a couple of years later and then on my fortieth. I then saw him twice in 2008, the first time witht he friend I saw him with in 1970.
I've been playing his songs on and off all day, and realising what an impact he's had on my spiritual life all these years.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw UKian Arthur Smith do a few of his songs a while back, live at one of his own standup gigs. Impressive and moving.

[ 12. November 2016, 07:10: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An amazing Saturday Night Live "cold open" -- first one I've ever seen that wasn't meant to be funny (I've seen plenty that weren't funny, but they presumably were intended to be funny).

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy shit. [Waterworks]

Couldn't have been more perfect.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Mousethief, thanks for posting that - it was brilliant.

Huia

[ 13. November 2016, 07:02: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid Mousethief's link is telling me that it's "not available in your country".

Stuff that for a lark - I thought it was only the BBC that did that.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same here, Piglet. It looked as if it was loading, then up popped the message.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Try googling " Saturday night live hallelujah cold open" in a UK friendly browser, and see what comes up.

--------------------

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the Light gets in.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016