homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Don't shoot the messenger

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Don't shoot the messenger
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just in case it has escaped your notice, [Yipee] Christmas [Yipee] is a month from today!!!

On this Black Friday, I am maintaining the tradition of many years of meeting Daughter-Unit to go to one store (which is usually almost empty) and eat lunch together and maybe see a movie.

I am thinking of the church musicians who are preparing for Advent and Christmas Eve and Christmas on Sunday this year.

Is this a joyful time for y'all, or is it full of stress and too much w*rk?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BAH! HUMBUG!

This year, with the advent of the twins as much as anything else, I am almost completely unprepared. So far I have managed to buy four sort of stocking fillers for hirsuit men - but then I don't think I need to buy much anyway, it seems to clash with a religious festival here [again!] and that takes most of the effort.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
On this Black Friday...

In my home, it is called "Multicolored Christmas Light Friday"--the first official day to put up Christmas decorations!! [Yipee]

When I first moved here, 20-some-odd years ago, virtually nobody put up Christmas decorations. I was even able to give directions to my house by simply saying "Look for the house with the Christmas lights." But slowly it has changed and more and more are getting into the festive spirit.

I would write more, but those lights aren't going to hang themselves!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am working hard on getting well ahead of myself.

Last Christmas there was just the two of us and we had a take away curry on the day.

This year we have lots of people coming Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

So, all presents are bought, I have begun to wrap them and have made half of my cards.

[Angel] [Angel] [Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mincemeat and Christmas Pudding made, Christmas cake will be made tomorrow (fruit has been marinating in a cocktail of spirits), and most gifts sorted, not that I have many to get. Not sure who will be here on Christmas Day, but whoever it is should be well fed.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm starting to address my cards today (my shoulder will only allow me to do a limited number of them at one sitting). They won't be mailed for another couple of weeks. Since I have no biological family I do very little gift shopping, and it's almost finished.

My tree and other decorations go up on December 24, but I usually haul out the artificial tree on December 23 since it's a hassle to set it up.

On Sunday I'll start playing my Advent CDs.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took advantage of Black Friday discounts to get a few more gifts for friends and even got genuine discounts! There's 1 more family present to get, for my "adopted" nephew and his wife, and a few small things for friends, I've started writing cards, and I've got to sort out grocery orders, and then I'm ready for Christmas.
Oh b****er, forgot about present wrapping!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just did an e-transfer to complete the only present I buy in Canada. India can wait til I get there. No decorations.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a work day here. But last evening I needed to order something online, and it came up with a "Black Friday free shipping" thing. Which is very nice. (I must admit that Black Friday initially sounded like a sensitivity day for a minority group.)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sort of ignoring Black Friday - the only shopping I've done today was to the dollar-store to get a colander and a pack of little tupperware containers for keeping chicken stock in the freezer.

I'm going to the mall tomorrow to get my hair cut, so a modicum of shopping may ensue. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about presents this year, as I usually make foodie presents, but most of my equipment for making them is still in storage.

So are the Advent candle-bridges [Waterworks] but if I see some that don't cost the earth I might get a couple for the windows in the flat.

As for what JJ said about Advent and church musicians ... YES!!!! Really looking forward to our first Advent procession in our new cathedral - it really is my favourite service of the whole year. [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The multicolored Christmas lights are up (and on!). My back is aching (bending backwards out of upstairs windows is not conducive to a quiet back--sadly, I realize there will come a time when I will have to find another means of decorating). I plan to do more decorating tomorrow, after a good night's sleep.

As for gifts...well, some are bought, some remain merely in my mind. But that's okay. Gifts are the least part of Christmas. For now, I am enjoying my Christmas lights. They are beautiful.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daughter-Unit and I had a most marvelous time! [Big Grin]

We went to our one store and saved enough money to make it worthwhile. Then we had a nice lunch together and went to a $4.00 movie. The best part, of course, is spending time with my lovely daughter!

It's time to get my Nativity scene set up, and maybe put a few other decorations up. I think the Christmas music books need to be on the piano music rack, too!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
The multicolored Christmas lights are up ...

I'm sort of ambivalent about coloured lights - I don't mind them outdoors, on other people's houses, but chez Piglet will never display a light that isn't white - I just prefer them.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Advent I. Here we go!!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Advent I. Here we go!!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

I'm sort of ambivalent about coloured lights - I don't mind them outdoors, on other people's houses, but chez Piglet will never display a light that isn't white - I just prefer them.
We'll be putting up the lights in church soon - a couple of years ago, The Carnival Band did one of their "Carols and Capers" concerts in our church, and as part of that, they put fairy lights on our rood screen. It looked fabulous, and our vicar thought so too.
We now have a very long string of fairy lights which gets twined all over the screen in time for Christmas. Last year, Darllenwr and Lord Pontevillian had a go at the windows at the back of the church and rigged up coloured spotlights. The effect was amazing, particularly on Christmas Eve when the nave was otherwise lit by candle lanterns on the windowsills.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The tree was decorated and lit up this morning. It was such a gloomy morning that it needed a touch of brightness. I also have some of the decorations my mother used to have so the tree looks extra nice this year. The fairy lights are up - plain on the tree and coloured round the bookcase. Some cheery tinsel round the photo of my mother, so she can at least be included in some way. There's a small stack of mini plum puddings in and that's as far as I've got so far.

I love all the glitter and sparkle but it does at times feel a bit hollow with this being the first Christmas since my mother died. I'm not sure I feel like celebrating and I don't have any enthusiasm for the office Christmas lunch. But life has to go on.

Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No decorations up before the first day of Advent at our house.

It takes about 15 minutes to decorate:

--Put battery-operated candles in the windows

--Unpack creche and put on table

--Unpack little pre-decorated fake Christmas tree and put on table

--Unpack a few ornaments to hang on the mantle

--Put up Advent calendar (our Advent calendar is set in Munich, my favorite city)

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
No decorations up before the first day of Advent at our house.

It takes about 15 minutes to decorate:

--Put battery-operated candles in the windows

So glad you mention this. I have been wanting to ask somebody for years. What is the significance of candles in the windows?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm not sure it has any significance beyond the journey from darkness into light, which is how I perceive the whole of Advent.

We first came across the candle-bridges when we were on holiday in Iceland shortly before Christmas about 20 years ago, where they seemed to be in practically every window. We thought they looked lovely, and we've been adding to our collection ever since.

[ 27. November 2016, 15:30: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas? What's that? Oh.... [Roll Eyes]

We had the Mayor's Christmas Fair yesterday, and a Magic Lantern Show in the evening, which morphed into local carols.

But my personal Christmas won't really take off till I finish school on the 9th December. Then I can think about it. Cards for children and staff are just a minor run-up.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We first came across the candle-bridges when we were on holiday in Iceland shortly before Christmas about 20 years ago, where they seemed to be in practically every window. We thought they looked lovely, and we've been adding to our collection ever since.

The candle bridges remind me of Hanukkah lights, although the number of candles is different.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
quote:

Admittedly I prefer multicolored lights because I find them prettier, but I became more assertive about it since I moved to my current house. This town is about as historical as you can get in the U.S., founded in 1651, and with many of the buildings preserved from 100s of years ago. As part of the historical culture, many people (myself included) have white candle lights in the windows all year round. So, in my mind, putting up more white lights doesn't really convey that this season is different.

As I mentioned above, people around here didn't use to decorate outside for Christmas because it didn't seem appropriately "colonial." Many still don't. So, yeah, multicolored lights is something of a statement for me--we do colonial in this town the other 11 months of the year. It seems to me that, for one month, we should go for a fairytale Christmas Village look.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
...and I don't have any enthusiasm for the office Christmas lunch...

Do you mean that annual dose of Purgatory that seems to last a millennium or two, all packed into one tiresomely long afternoon?

No Christmassy mood here at all so far although the Hypermarket at the local Mall had some grotto-like displays up when we visited last Friday. Today and tomorrow are national hartals [strikes] about the monetary situation here - presumably, with Advent Sunday having been and gone, things will brighten up a bit come Wednesday.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Santa Fe, there are some interesting Christmas traditions.
One of them are farolitos or luminarios, which are lights in paper bags to decorate. JB and I will be volunteering to set out lights at the Jemez ruins for Light Up night.
There is also something called Las Posadas, which is the commemoration of the Holy Family not finding room at the Inn which is recreated in the Santa Fe Plaza. We'll be there taking photos of it this year. And then there is the Christmas lights at the Zoo and other places to enjoy. The Christmas concerts are wonderful here and then there is the food.
I make sure all the Christmas cards and presents are gone by December 1st, so I can enjoy the season. Most of the presents were bought online, so I don't run around like a crazy person from store to store. I ask my daughters what the grandchildren want, and we get what they can use.
I have lots of singing to do in December, so I can't let anything take away my strength for it. I just sit back and rest, knowing everything but the cooking and baking is done. ....... or else, I'm just a bit OCD.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Advent II has come and gone. [Eek!]

My granddaughter spent the weekend with me. She is such a patient little person. MiMi jedijudy had lots of commitments and she accompanied me with not one complaint. When I asked her what she would like for Christmas, she said a Chia Pet! [Big Grin] So, she'll have a troll one under the tree.

We rang five octaves of bells with organ and tympani Sunday. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the music. (I got sucked into another church's handbell choir, so this is not at my church!) We have a smaller group ringing on Christmas Day. It will be a lot of fun, but I'll miss being with my parents at our own church that morning.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Advent II has come and gone. [Eek!]

Scary, isn't it? I'm just realising that we've only got two more rehearsals before the Nine Lessons and Carols.

Mind you, it's worth it to have the service before Christmas - I never got used to the 9L&C in St. John's being after Christmas. After 13 years of us trying (in the nicest way possible) to persuade them to join the Civilised World™, my spies tell me that this year their service is on - wait for it - 18th December.

[Two face]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016