homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ringing In the New

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ringing In the New
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, all being the good anal-retentive Shipmates that you are, what are your traditions for New Year's Day?

It is one of the two times each year that I thoroughly clean out and defrost* the refrigerator -- the other being the Fourth of July.

I also shred all of last year's papers that I have been saving but no longer need, as well as tax returns and supporting documentation from three years ago.

I spent New Year's Eve in Times Square once many years ago. It was an interesting experience but I don't think I'd do it again.

* I know, I know, it's frost-free, but old memories die hard -- days of putting pots of boiling water in the freezer and scraping off the ice as it loosened.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We always go to a party New Year's Eve and nurse a hangover on New Year's Day, but my appetite for this is waning.

My New Years resolutions are usually many and varied, few of which last the year.

Maybe my resolution this year will be to choose two and stick to them [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What an organized person you are, Amanda. My freezer may call itself lucky if it is defrosted biannually!
My resolution for the new year is to turn my energies away from writing. Instead, I shall shove stuff out onto the world. This is the same resolution I made last year, a shattering failure, but I have to keep it this year.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In recent years I have been going to a very small, quiet party at a friends house. Then I stay overnight because my friend doesn't want anyone on the streets after 8:00 on New Years Eve. So New Years Day I've been sleeping late and then hanging out with the same friend.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had various traditions on Hogmanay and New Year's Day.

When I lived in Orkney, there would be a crowd gathered in front of the Cathedral waiting for the clock to chime midnight, at which point there would be exchanging of hip-flasks (or half-bottles of Famous Grouse™); the secret to remaining upright was to put each bottle to your lips, wish the other person a happy new year, but not actually drink anything. Then a few of us would head up the road towards my home (or the next-door neighbours, depending on which house everyone was in), and the partying would go on until about 4 in the morning.

In Kirkwall, there's a tradition on Christmas and New Year's Day called the Ba, which is a sort of 500-a-side rugby match with no rules played through the streets of the town. If it's a nice day, it may be worth taking a stroll down to watch, but there's not really anything to see, so it's more a chance to meet people you haven't seen for a while.

These days we're much more restrained; when we were in St. John's we'd invite a few friends round for supper (or be invited to friends') and once the new year had been rung in, we went pretty much straight home (or straight to bed).

As this is our first New Year in a new place, I don't know what we'll be doing; we'll be house-sitting by then, and New Year's Day is a Sunday, so wild partying won't be on the cards, but we may invite a couple of friends over for supper on New Year's Day.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm usually in bed by 10 p.m. but am then woken by the firecrackers at midnight but soon drift back to sleep again.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Planning to sit outdoors with friends in the drought-stricken garden (summer here in the Cape) and raise a glass to a better year with my homemade watermelon granita which is essentially cubes of de-pipped ripe water melon smooshed in a blender with freshly squeezed lime juice. Then forked into granita as it freezes and spooned into glasses, a sprig of mint on top. 2016, be gone.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do have a bit of a cleaning frenzy in the day on New Year's Eve. I do like to start the New Year with a clean house as instilled into me by my Scottish granny and great-aunts. Unlikely to be any other such Scottish traditions, though. I return to work on the 3rd, so it will be my pre-start of term clean as well.

Whether or not I stay up for "the bells" at midnight depends on my ability to do so but, given the propensity for fireworks around here, it's likely I'll be woken up.

Actually considering New Year's Day is a Sunday and therefore I need to be in church for organ playing duties (possibly reading or intercessions duty given I'm one of the reliable few at this time of year), I'm more likely NOT to want to stay up.

[ 18. December 2016, 07:38: Message edited by: Japes ]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the Scots and those of Scottish descent will of course be opening all the doors and windows just before midnight to let the old year out and the new one in, never mind the sub-zero temperature and snow forecast for these parts.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like WW, I'm usually in bed well before midnight. Having moved to a small country town in July, and having discovered that one of our 9 next-door-neighbours is an expert fireworks creator, I'm guessing it may be less stressful to stay awake and enjoy the fun (we ended up getting up and watching on Guy Fawkes night).

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like others here, I am usually in bed at accustomed time. Hear a commotion and vaguely rouse myself and go back to sleep. We have roof garden here from which I can see the harbour bridge and other vantage points, although not the actual water. The first year here, I took drink and went upstairs. There were about a dozen residents there. Since then I have watched once from my balcony where I get the general effect without specific fireworks. Frankly I prefer to be asleep.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be spending January 1 on an airplane. I have to be at work on January 2, alas.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once "saw in the New Year" sitting on an aircraft, snowbound, on the apron of Luton Airport, waiting for the runway to be cleared. As a special concession we were given our sandwiches early.

Mind you, full marks for the men who were out in the freezing cold, in the middle of the night, getting the airport ready to re-open.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sit on my doorstep, watching and listening
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You and Madame Jeanette.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll probably stay up until midnight, just to make sure that bl**dy 2016 does indeed end, but nevertheless giving thanks to God that I've lived through it.

New Year's Day, of course, is The Lord's Day, so I shall duly (DV) attend The Lord's Supper.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Like others here, I am usually in bed at accustomed time.

One of the benefits of being a Brit in the US is that we get to do "British New Year" with the kids before packing them off to bed.

One of the features of having the kids is that I'm ready for my own bed shortly after them.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our rather Canadian tradition started with having a block party on New Years Eve when the children were small 25 years ago. My wife and I decided we didn't like any of the usual drink-fest things that seem to dominate NYE.

Hopefully the temps are above about -20°C (~0°F), but we've done it at -35 (about the same in C and F). Bring out the portable fireplace, park it in front of the house. Neighbours from our street and the one behind form teams and we play for The Cup (which is old tin cup I nailed to a piece of 2x4 and it has been repainted by the winners so many times I cannot count. We play shinny*. We don't play rough, just for love and glory and laughing. On the street, using garbage cans for goal posts. The youngest playing has been preschool, the eldest over 70. It's a lot of fun. Fireworks at about 10 or 10:30. Then inside for refreshments, which includes hotdogs and hamburgers cooked on the fire. There's usually a wee bit of beer and wine, but the point is togetherness and having a good time. It has pulled the neighbours together really well such that we have friends we mightn't have met otherwise. The most we've had is about 60. Which is okay, because the neighbours' houses are also available.

*hockey with a ball without skates on your feet

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I'll probably stay up until midnight, just to make sure that bl**dy 2016 does indeed end ...

Preach it, brother! [Overused]

Apart from having moved to Fredericton (which is wonderful), the best thing about 2016 is that it's nearly finished.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Apart from having moved to Fredericton (which is wonderful), the best thing about 2016 is that it's nearly finished.

No, no! Here in this country to the south of you many of us would be quite happy staying in 2016 and not having to face 2017 (and most likely the following three years)!
[Help]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been wondering about this.... Beyond certain celebrity deaths (e.g., Bowie, Prince, Leonard Cohen), and public disasters (Trump, Bastille Day massacre, today's assassination of the Russian ambassador to Turkey, etc, etc), on a purely personal level, 2016 has been really unpleasant. Not a damned thing has had a lasting good effect, except a favourable LTB ruling on Friday. I cannot see the arse end of 2016 adequately quickly.

Most of my friends shall be out of the city. It'll be I and a bottle of champers in a prayer circle for 2017.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
... many of us would be quite happy staying in 2016 and not having to face 2017 (and most likely the following three years)!
[Help]

Fair play. That was part of what I meant about 2016 - it began with D. unfairly losing his job and ended with the Drumpf unfairly becoming the Leader Of The Free* World™

* well, free until some time in January I suppose.

[ 20. December 2016, 20:23: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
/tangent alert/

I normally keep clear of politics on-line, but this seems to me to be a thoughtful reflection on the year that is passing, with a dash of hope for the future, which no one person (or country) owns....

https://www.facebook.com/thegreenparty/videos/10154065070775785/

/normal service may now be resumed/

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016