homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » George Michael R.I.P.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: George Michael R.I.P.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was never into his music, but he deserves an RIP thread. And some critics are cerrainly suggesting that his music and lyrics were not syrup, but subtle subversion in the Thatcherite, Reaganite days of anti-gay, pure white, dog eat dog days.

May he rest in the peace that I sense his life never provided.

RIP.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" and nothing else of his music. The video resembled a milk commercial, and he looked every bit a clean cut Disney boy. Too young for a heart attack. Tough time of year to go.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He wasn't really on my radar, until his recurring cameos on the TV series "Eli Stone". He'd show up in Eli's visions and perform. [Smile]

Light and peace to him. [Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The CBC National News this evening, in reporting George Michael's death, paid extensive attention to the degree of his philanthropy. I don't remember everything mentioned, but, e.g., ca. £2m to the Terrence Higgins Trust, $8,000 tip to a barmaid who was deeply in debt studying nursing, anonymous volunteering at a woman's shelter, some huge sum to a children's aid line in the UK. A few others escape my memory. It was all quite impressive.

I was never a fan of his music, but he seems to have left the world better than he found it. Or, at least he tried.

[Votive]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
The CBC National News this evening, in reporting George Michael's death, paid extensive attention to the degree of his philanthropy. I don't remember everything mentioned, but, e.g., ca. £2m to the Terrence Higgins Trust, $8,000 tip to a barmaid who was deeply in debt studying nursing, anonymous volunteering at a woman's shelter, some huge sum to a children's aid line in the UK. A few others escape my memory. It was all quite impressive.

I was never a fan of his music, but he seems to have left the world better than he found it. Or, at least he tried.

[Votive]

Nothing for his partner??

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think that they mentioned any partner. But, given how recent George Michael's death, it's not a surprise that the details of the will are not yet public - if ever. The report recounted just what he had done over the years while alive.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freedom 90 is a hell of a good track and what he did with Somebody to Love at the Freddie Mercury memorial concert was breathtakingly powerful.

As a person, he had issues and demons, like many of us.

His music? He's no Prince or Bowie but he did capture a time period. He was also important to many in how he handled having to come out in a time when being out was difficult for any entertainer.

His zenith is to be mourned and by all accounts, his generosity as well.

R.I.P. [Votive]

[ 29. December 2016, 02:59: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, he was probably one of the few people on earth who could go near a Freddie Mercury song.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016