homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Remembering Erin

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Remembering Erin
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Six years ago today, we lost our beloved and fierce and brilliant Erin. But we hadn't known it yet.

There are a lot of Shipmates who never knew her. Hopefully they've read some of her posts and were able to get a taste of what our Blessed Gator was like. I personally lived in terrified fear of displeasing her! Yet, she was always showing her huge heart, gifting us with words of caring and comfort and spreading festive anthrax at Christmas. She also had NO problem with using those gator jaws to bite, chew and generally destroy those who really needed a dose of Come to Jesus.

One of my favorite memories was when the weather was being obnoxious, (we are both Floridians), she would pitch a fit even bigger than mine! [Big Grin]

She was a sister of my heart and I really miss her!

What great (or terrifying) memories do you have?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several of us traveled to attend her memorial service. Here is the link to the MW report we filed.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recollections? Just the fact that Erin was always honestly herself. She took no prisoners, called a spade, an effing shovel. But was more than capable of a very humane compassion, often in the face of others' insincerity or contrived emotions. Some people found her hard to debate with. They couldn't comprehend how, with her sometimes difficult and uncompromising approach to discussion, and her challenging use of vocabulary (ahem), she could also claim to be one of God's little sunbeams! She didn't care. I thought she was fabulous, and I still miss her. [Tear]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Judy for this thread. I was one of those who learnt early of her death because of international time differences. I burst into tears when I read about it, quite surprising myself.

I was never threatened by rusty farm implements or felt her sharp bite, but she kept this place running smoothly.

At Christmas I take the time to read the Christmas play script and also Fields of Gold for Miss Molly, another thread which makes me weep. So many others too, Gambit, Ken, Kenwritez, Genevieve and more.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She overawed me a bit too but my overall impression is what a HUGE star she was in the Ship firmament. I was [one of] the last Hosts she appointed and for some bizarre reason that means a lot to me.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our first visit to Florida was in early December 2010. We promised to wave when the plane passed over Jacksonville, which we did.

On our last day we went to the cinema at Downtown Disney, and I spotted loads of Green & Black's chocolate for sale. I was the one who introduced her to G&B Maya Gold, and when I saw it for sale I remember thinking 'Must tell Erin'. Alas, I never got the chance.

She would probably love the fact that I think of her whenever I smell urinal cakes. You have to be a pretty old Shipmate to get that reference!

[ 31. December 2016, 07:12: Message edited by: Gill H ]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss her and think of her often. All the more as I may find myself in need of a Gator if I can talk the powers-that-be at my new job into a particular community project. She was so awesome for this place.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She was very encouraging when she asked me to host Keryg. I wasn't sure I could manage because I have nerve damage in my hands that makes it difficult to type fast.

Here is the famous thread about the urinal cake.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sold
Apprentice
# 14667

- Posted      Profile for sold   Email sold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a long time lurker who even before registering enjoyed her posts and it seems fitting to unlurk on yet another thread she inspired.

May she rile in peace.

--------------------
What, is it over? Is that ALL?

Posts: 1 | From: Spaced: the final frontier | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just read one of her posts on that thread about the smell in her flat, and, God love her, she didn't like GIN.

How on earth did she rise so far in the Ship's ranks???

I hope* there's a plentiful supply of Cabernet Sauvignon in Heaven.

* well, of course there is. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome aboard, sold!

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I've just read one of her posts on that thread about the smell in her flat, and, God love her, she didn't like GIN.

She was here before there were ranks.

Goes off muttering, "What do they teach them at these schools?" [Biased]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Welcome aboard, sold!

quote:

She was here before there were ranks.

Goes off muttering, "What do they teach them at these schools?" [Biased]

If you want to know Erin's role in the early days of the Ship, read page one of the History of the Ship thread in the Styx.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I just remembered one of Erin's sayings.

"Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think "Jesus Christ on a cracker!" was one of hers too.

To be honest, I was always a little intimidated by Erin. But she was very supportive of me, and when I made a couple of mistakes as a rookie Host she stuck up for me.

I think it not an exaggeration to say that the Ship exists largely because of Erin's hard work and fierce dedication, and that all of us owe her a debt of gratitude.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that link to days gone past. I knew about Joanne - is she Castilian by any chance?

It may not be able to answer this, and I can understand if it is not, but the Gordon Cheng days preceded my joining. Is that his name IRL? If it is, he's still authorised to officiate in Sydney, and most recently was a part-time assistant minister at St Andrew's Cathedral. He used be a prolific writer of letters to the editor of various Sydney daily newspapers. Very much a Sydney Anglican at heart, theology degree from Moore College, although deaconed and priested in Melbourne.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup, same guy.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, thought so but good to have the confirmation. I am very unlikely to meet him.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin is often remembered for her Alligator nickname (for which I was partly responsible) but she could be very funny as well. One of my favourite posts of hers was describing how to administer a pill to a cat, and who could forget the "my apartment smells like a urinal cake" thread?

I still have the PM she sent inviting me to take up the role of Admin on the boards only a few weeks before her untimely death. It was written with her special brand of wit.

I still miss her.

[Votive]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Six years. [Votive]
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shortly after I joined the Ship I lost my job. Erin sent me a kind and helpful PM, which I still have. In public she often was "the ship's alligator" but there was a softer side to her as well.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still have the PM conversation in which she asked/told me to return to Hosting after I'd been on a work-related absence from duty.

She was as wonderful, witty, scary, honest and caring as any other Christian in history. The whole planet, never mind this website, is worse for her loss.

I will always remember her coining the phrase "great googly-moogly, you are crazier than a shithouse rat". And to me, this thread will always be one of her greatest moments. Who else could have turned a throwaway April Fool into a fundraiser that made over a thousand pounds for the Ship?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow I remember that thread. Can't believe it was 12 years ago! All the familiar names.

I loved my early years on the ship community and Erin was a huge part of that. Had so hoped to meet her!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
Had so hoped to meet her!

You and every other person on the Ship. She avoided Meets like the plague.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

I have no idea what I believe any more. But part of me hopes that Ken, Kenwritez, Miss Molly, et al., have finally cornered her...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
quote:

She also avoided posting any pictures of herself.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
She also avoided posting any pictures of herself.

Moo

You mean that's NOT her real picture in the Gallery?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While she was alive no picture of her appeared on the ship, after here death then her memorial page contains one.

I think the difference between the one in the gallery and the one on the memorial page give a good indication of the difference between the public and the private personas.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Jengie, I'd missed that somehow.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember that someone asked Erin if there were any Shipmates she actually liked. She promptly reeled of a list that included yours truly. I felt a bit like Victor Crosby in 'The New Statesman'.

CROSBY: She knows I exist?
ALAN B'STARD: She knows everything, Bing!
CROSBY: (sobs) I love her!
B'STARD: She knows that too!

It's not, ahem, an exact analogy. But she was completely bloody magnificent. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

She always said that she couldn't do what she did if she actually knew people and they knew her ... Not going to meets was one way of maintaining that distance.

When I was a new host, I managed to close the boards whilst tidying some threads. I rang her in floods of tears, she fixed it instantly and was so nice about it. I still miss her.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have kept her PMs, they were lovely too.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So why did this recording appear on the BBC yesterday?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let Shakespeare teach us:

Melania. Donald, I never stood on ceremonies,
Yet now they fright me. There is one within,
Besides the things that we have heard and seen,
Recounts most horrid sights seen by the watch.
A Gatoress hath walked in the streets;
And spies have yawn’d and yielded up their tapes;
Fierce fiery women march on Washington,
In ranks and squadrons and right form of war,
With signs and placards on the Capitol;
The noise of booing hurtled in the air,
Children did fear, and troubled men did groan,
And pussycats did shriek and squeal about the streets.
O Donald! these things are beyond all use,
And I do fear them.

[ 17. January 2017, 13:03: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The people taking that gator's picture were just as unwise as those who crossed our Erin. [Snigger]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I remember that once someone posted a link to what was described as a nude picture of Erin.

When you clicked on the link, you saw a picture of an alligator.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, the BBC being what it is, the video in Jengie's link doesn't work outside the UK.

[Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sadly, the BBC being what it is, the video in Jengie's link doesn't work outside the UK.

[Frown]

Hmmm, it worked here in Arizona, and I don't think we've moved across the Pond.
[Confused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Maybe it's just me they don't like ... [Paranoid]

Actually, now I think about it, it may be to do with this computer - it either doesn't like or doesn't have Adobe, so it might be that.

[ 18. January 2017, 02:49: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Check the CBC website -- they ran the video last night on The National, and I'm reasonably sure it will be available somewhere on the site.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I presume it's that gigantic gator that was in the news yesterday? That ain't no gator--it's a small dinosaur! 13 ft. long, and IIRC estimated at 1000 lbs.! 13 ft. is the length of the room I'm in.
[Ultra confused]

And I miss Erin, too. Currently, I wish she were here to comment on the US election and the inauguration.
[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss Erin too.
She changed my vocabulary, for good or for ill forever.
I have a small scar where she nipped at me once.
She sent me a big box of cookies all the way from the US, which came at an opportune time.

Above all, she was the adult in the room. Now we all have to be the adults.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:

She sent me a big box of cookies all the way from the US, which came at an opportune time.

And Oreos, sent to anyone who asked. All the way from America, that was really generous. And I didn't find teeth marks in a single one...

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And to me, this thread will always be one of her greatest moments. Who else could have turned a throwaway April Fool into a fundraiser that made over a thousand pounds for the Ship?

Was a great thread indeed!

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016