homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Can I get some Anglican help, kinda fast?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Can I get some Anglican help, kinda fast?
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I'm American, an Episcopalian. In two weeks I have to give a presentation on the history of the ECUSA. I'd kinda forgotten about it but getting a 20-30 minute presentation down won't be too much of a problem.

Here's the deal, I wanted to include a list of the other member churches of the Anglican Communion, and when they began officially. If you are a member of a non-American/non-Church of England member church of the AC, can you, pretty please, send me a link about it? I'm not asking anyone to do my "homework" for me, but I do need a little help here. Also, if there's an online link to your Book of Common Prayer, that would be a major help too. I won't really be talking so much about them, but I'm looking for additional material that I can make up into a handout.

I did find a link to the 1662 BCP online. It's really interesting to compare it to the current ECUSA book. You can see how the latter descends from the former, but there's still some major differences.

Thanks for anything you might be able to do.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely the obvious starting point is the Anglican Communion's own website?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee, thanks, I never would have thought of that!

Actually, that was going to be my next step, but I also like to ask for what I'd call "local" help. I've seen a few websites, especially those aboout different versions of the BCP, and it seems that things can change fast.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/index.html

You may find the above link useful. Do note, however, that for at least some provinces their regular public worship is not usually based on their BCP - both the CofE and SEC have more recent official liturgies that are more commonly used.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baker:
Gee, thanks, I never would have thought of that!

Actually, that was going to be my next step, but I also like to ask for what I'd call "local" help. I've seen a few websites, especially those aboout different versions of the BCP, and it seems that things can change fast.

Seems to me to be reasonable to do as much of your own digging as you can before you ask others to do some for you. There are 44 churches in the Communion. I think digging up their websites is, what, an afternoon's work, if that?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In answer to the specific question, the SEC is hard to place a particular date on. You might choose 1637, the date of the first Scottish BCP, or you might say it began with the Scottish Reformation in around 1560. You might also choose the rejection of Bishops by the Kirk in 1582, or the Dutch invasion of 1689 when the Bishops were again removed from the Kirk. Alternatively you can hold that the SEC is the heir of the first Scottish churches, and as such dates from the landing of St. Columba on Iona 563, if not earlier.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The official facts about the Church of England becoming the Anglican Church of Australia are all outlined here.

What it won't tell you is that because Australia was settled by the ruling judiciary and military of England, (many of those convicts sent here were Catholics), the C of E had a murky entanglement with state politics.

A small elite of C of E governors and clergy with great power shaped the white settlement of this land and yet Catholic numbers would always be greater. Therein lies a lot of the tensions still felt today in our society. The Catholic church is far more successful at being socially recognised as a church for and of the people.

The Anglican church and its now 23 diocese is struggling to thrive and survive. Talk of amalgamating diocese has morphed into inter-diocesan agreements to help prop each other up. Not sure how long this will last given the many expensive litigations each diocese face regarding past misconducts.

They are not alone in this of course - every Christian denomination is giving account of past misdoings - and rightly so. Church for Anglicans in the 21st century will necessarily be rather different from what has gone before.

I expect someone will be along soon to provide a link to the prayer book.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An Australian Prayer Book 1977 (AAPB) is available online. It is little used these days outside Sydney. The one normally used is A Prayerbook for Australia 1995 (APBA) which is only available online by payment of a fee to Broughton Publishing. The Second Order of APBA is used much more commonly than either of the others, and in that usage, there is a marked preference for the first form of the Great Thanksgiving. A few parishes will still use the BCP 1662 but for most of them that would be a special event. There is a church near us where it was used monthly; I am not sure if that is still the case.

Otherwise much of what BL said, save that for quite a long time, Anglicanism was by far the largest single denomination here. It was not at first, and its relative position has dropped vis-à-vis the Catholic Church since WW II. Lots of reasons for that but irrelevant for your purposes.

[ 22. January 2017, 20:11: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a link to the Canadian Prayer Book of 1962, if it's of any help.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet, I love the Canadian on-line lectionary and readings and use them regularly when I have to run an inter-denominational morning prayer service. They are so very easy to use and adapt.
God bless the canucks.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

My thanks to all those who have replied to help. I truly appreciate your responses.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At my Australian church we use APBA for most services but the 1662 BCP communion occurs each Wednesday and BCP Choral Evensong once a month. Also a separate service is held each week for young families at which a 'watered down' service of HC occurs. It is interesting that many in the community (who never attend church!)describe themselves when asked as Church of England, but the regular attenders call themselves Anglican. It is certainly confusing for Anglican members throughout the world. For example, I haven't the faintest idea what ECUSA stands for.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
... I haven't the faintest idea what ECUSA stands for.

Episcopal Church of the United States of America.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

The presentation was yesterday and I'm told folks enjoyed it. My thanks again to those here who responded, I did use the links provided.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016