homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Being Gay (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Being Gay
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:
I've been following this thread in the hope of finding out what the current scientific evidence is on the subject of the origin of a homosexual orientation (inborn or acquired)and I was pleased to find this article in a link from a link from a link in a previous post, which might make a contribution to the debate.

Angus

Isn't that what this thread is all about? I have only given it a cursory reading though, so I may have missed something.
Ah yes. Whoops! Sorry, I missed it. [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Solly
Shipmate
# 11919

- Posted      Profile for Solly     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the parent of a much loved gay son, I can assure you he has always been gay - no question of choice. Looking back, I can trace his journey from the age of seven or eight and was well aware of his orientation before he came out. He had years of lonliness before he gave in - and it is so good to see him happy and fulfilled. I have no interest in what he and his partner get up to in bed any more than I have any interest in what my heterosexual children get up to. The churches' attitude to homosexuality disgusts me: one cannot help but think people who take such a close and unnecessary interest in homosexual sexual activity must have doubts about their own sexuality.
Posts: 70 | From: Sussex UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Solly:
As the parent of a much loved gay son, I can assure you he has always been gay - no question of choice. Looking back, I can trace his journey from the age of seven or eight and was well aware of his orientation before he came out. He had years of lonliness before he gave in - and it is so good to see him happy and fulfilled. I have no interest in what he and his partner get up to in bed any more than I have any interest in what my heterosexual children get up to. The churches' attitude to homosexuality disgusts me: one cannot help but think people who take such a close and unnecessary interest in homosexual sexual activity must have doubts about their own sexuality.

What a moving testimony to love.

Very encouraging.

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great post, Solly.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Solly, one of the great blessings in my life is a mother who has an attitude like yours. Would that every gay - heck, every human - had such loving parents!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Solly, one of the great blessings in my life is a mother who has an attitude like yours. Would that every gay - heck, every human - had such loving parents!

You are very lucky, as is Solly's child(ren).

There is a need I think for parents like yours and parents like Solly to be vocal about how they feel and why...

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

- Posted      Profile for Peter Ould   Author's homepage   Email Peter Ould   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't want to in any way discount your son's experience, self-identity and your relationship with him, but is it worth us asking the question *how* do you know he was always gay? Yes, you could see things in from age 7/8 and this is a very common observation, but strictly all that means is that from that age he was evidencing behaviours and preferences associated with a homosexual orientation. However, that 7/8+ experience doesn't tell us *why* he had those behaviours then (and now). The issue of causality cannot be argued from such a basis. His homosexuality could by biologically based but it might also be environmentally based at an earlier point then the 7/8 years old milestone you refer to (or a mix of biology / environment).

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Posts: 94 | From: Canterbury | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Overused]

I couldn't agree more. My sons are both straight but when they were 13ish their Dad and I sat them down and made it very clear that if they were gay we would have no problems whatever.

I agree that those who worry about what others do in bed must have some problems going on. These days their excuse can not be ignorance - as it may have been in the past.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I couldn't agree more. My sons are both straight but when they were 13ish their Dad and I sat them down and made it very clear that if they were gay we would have no problems whatever.

I agree that those who worry about what others do in bed must have some problems going on. These days their excuse can not be ignorance - as it may have been in the past.

I wonder what sort of problems you think these people have? Whilst I tend to agree with you, there is a problem that they are/are not dealing with I was just wondering how others view it...

Incidentally, are those your pictures linked to in your sig. because they are very good...

- of course they are yours, I've just left my brain in Greggs after picking up coffee to see me through to home time... the caffine will kick in soon!

[ 09. January 2013, 13:16: Message edited by: Sergius-Melli ]

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you - I got a lovely new camera in July [Smile]

I would imagine people who hate the thought of having gay children may have a variety of problems and fears. Loss of control? Loss of their 'picture' of how their son/daughter would turn out? Fear that they may be gay themselves? Fear that their world-view is threatened? (Some people think if they change their mind on one aspect the whole 'house of cards' will come tumbling down). The idea that grandchildren may be off the agenda? Fears that their child will be treated badly? Problems with the 'neighbours' disapproving?

I'm not sure as I have had none of these.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Thank you - I got a lovely new camera in July [Smile]

I would imagine people who hate the thought of having gay children may have a variety of problems and fears. Loss of control? Loss of their 'picture' of how their son/daughter would turn out? Fear that they may be gay themselves? Fear that their world-view is threatened? (Some people think if they change their mind on one aspect the whole 'house of cards' will come tumbling down). The idea that grandchildren may be off the agenda? Fears that their child will be treated badly? Problems with the 'neighbours' disapproving?

I'm not sure as I have had none of these.

No, your list seems about accurate to confirm what is my general experience when it comes to parents of gay kids...

It was however sparked by what I perceived your comment to be responding to: people in the Church in general rather than parents of gay kids, but your list is very helpful!

o/t - I envy (if I may be forgiven this sin this time, please!) you your artistic talents, it seems to have skipped a generation in our family with my mother being very arty in the drawing sort and my neice being so in the photography sort, but none of my brothers and sisters are particularly good.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Ould:
His homosexuality could by biologically based but it might also be environmentally based at an earlier point then the 7/8 years old milestone you refer to (or a mix of biology / environment).

I'm not sure why this is a relevant distinction. I'm also not sure that "biological" and "environmental" are mutually exclusive categories. For instance, birthmarks and freckles have environmental (i.e. non-genetic) causes, but are also biological in nature.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

- Posted      Profile for Peter Ould   Author's homepage   Email Peter Ould   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
His homosexuality could by biologically based but it might also be environmentally based at an earlier point then the 7/8 years old milestone you refer to (or a mix of biology / environment).

I'm not sure why this is a relevant distinction. I'm also not sure that "biological" and "environmental" are mutually exclusive categories. For instance, birthmarks and freckles have environmental (i.e. non-genetic) causes, but are also biological in nature.
In this context biological would be something intrinsically genetic whereas environmental would be a developmental production of a trait.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

In this context biological would be something intrinsically genetic whereas environmental would be a developmental production of a trait.
What about cancer? It's intrinsically genetic, and it's acquired, sometimes by interaction with the environment.

"Genetic", "biological" and "environmental" need to be properly defined before one even tries to distinguish their effects. The only reason to try to distinguish them in this context is if someone is trying to claim that a particular environment made someone gay or lesbian, but a different environment wouldn't have. Good luck with that.

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What about cancer? It's intrinsically genetic, and it's acquired, sometimes by interaction with the environment.

"Genetic", "biological" and "environmental" need to be properly defined before one even tries to distinguish their effects. The only reason to try to distinguish them in this context is if someone is trying to claim that a particular environment made someone gay or lesbian, but a different environment wouldn't have. Good luck with that.

I'm used to dealing with twin studies where we can separate out genetic and non-genetic effects. Cancer would probably appear as a combination of the two.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twin studies do have limitations. Just for starters, twins are not representative of the general population by the mere fact of being twins. Twins are more likely to be left-handed. Rates of multiple births vary greatly among ethnic groups. The number of twin births in some countries has increased dramatically with the use of fertility drugs and in-vitro fertilization.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
Twin studies do have limitations. Just for starters, twins are not representative of the general population by the mere fact of being twins. Twins are more likely to be left-handed. Rates of multiple births vary greatly among ethnic groups. The number of twin births in some countries has increased dramatically with the use of fertility drugs and in-vitro fertilization.

And yet they are incredibly useful for doing this genetics/environment analyses.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Still not seeing the relevance of the distinction or why it's relevant to how Solly relates to his son.

Let's run a little gedankenexperiment for a moment, and hypothesize that there are two different types of homosexuals: genetic gays (who have a gay gene, or complex of gay genes) and environmental gays (who, I don't know, ingested a very specific ratio of lysine-to-arginine on the day their weight reached exactly 10.5 kg, irreversibly gayifying them). Would there be any reason to treat one of these groups different than the other? Is there any meaningful distinction between "born gay" and "gay from ten months onward"?

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Still not seeing the relevance of the distinction or why it's relevant to how Solly relates to his son.

Let's run a little gedankenexperiment for a moment, and hypothesize that there are two different types of homosexuals: genetic gays (who have a gay gene, or complex of gay genes) and environmental gays (who, I don't know, ingested a very specific ratio of lysine-to-arginine on the day their weight reached exactly 10.5 kg, irreversibly gayifying them). Would there be any reason to treat one of these groups different than the other? Is there any meaningful distinction between "born gay" and "gay from ten months onward"?

i) The answer to your question is no
ii) All the best research indicates that neither of these two scenarios is the reality

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
ii) All the best research indicates that neither of these two scenarios is the reality

I would point out that your argument seemed to have been developing this way: a genetic or an environmental (something intrinsic or something developmental) it may just be the way you have phrased it though...
Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
quote:

I would point out that your argument seemed to have been developing this way: a genetic or an environmental (something intrinsic or something developmental) it may just be the way you have phrased it though...
Then it's bad phrasing. All the evidence points to a unique mix of the two in each individual.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it does. There's lots of evidence out there, some of it good, some of it bad, but there isn't a single consistent and large body of evidence pointing in any particular direction. To say that means all the evidence points to a mixture is a bit like asking 100 people where Trumpton is, getting a mix of answers, and concluding that Trumpton is everywhere simultaneously.

One might say that it is common sense to regard complex human behaviours as likely to derive from both genes and environmental causes, but that's largely an argument from a combination of ignorance and common sense.

[ 11. January 2013, 08:24: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
I don't think it does. There's lots of evidence out there, some of it good, some of it bad, but there isn't a single consistent and large body of evidence pointing in any particular direction. To say that means all the evidence points to a mixture is a bit like asking 100 people where Trumpton is, getting a mix of answers, and concluding that Trumpton is everywhere simultaneously.

One might say that it is common sense to regard complex human behaviours as likely to derive from both genes and environmental causes, but that's largely an argument from a combination of ignorance and common sense.

There always has been a problem for me with the environmental/experience part fo the argument, if anyone would like to have a stab at answering it:

No two gay-men have the same environmental experiences/interactions, the womb environment varies, birthing varies, homelives vary, sibling numbers and genders vary, the local mineral/pollution/vegitation varies,..., what do we actually mean by an environmental aspect?

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The view in psychoanalysis used to be that various environmental hurdles in childhood prevented the gay man from going through the Oedipal conflict, so that he remains fixated in an identification with mother, and had not identified with his father, and a heterosexual role. (There are other versions of this).

This has been often summarized in popular thinking as having a weak father and an over-powerful/seductive mother, but it's more complicated than that.

However, I think it's considered to be bollocks by most people today in the therapy world, although there are still some analysts who have a related view to this.

Another way of looking at this, was that psychoanalysis was basically defending a patriarchal view of sexuality and gender, and in the process, pathologizing homosexuality.

Many battles have been fought over this, mostly in the direction of depathologizing.

--------------------

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

Can I answer both of the above questions?

The advantage of the twin studies, especially the ones coming out of the superb Australian database, is that they are much more robust then the occasional studies we find elsewhere with tiny samples (eg Hamer's Xq28 gene or LeVay's hypothalmus study). They give us much better pictures of the mix of genetics and environment for many many issues, not just sexuality / sexual identity.

What do we mean by environment? Well, in the strictest sense everything that isn't genetic. For example, hormones in the womb, inter-personal relationships, illnesses and otherwise growing up. The simple fact of the matter is that most monozygotic twins *don't* have the same environmental experience - they make different friends, have different illnesses and injuries, even sit in different places in the womb - and yet they do share their genes. This means that accurate twin studies can really help us begin to dissect basic causation questions (like the homosexuality). Bailey et al 2000 and the later studies are very effective in separating out components of genetics, shared environment and unique individual environment.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
The view in psychoanalysis used to be that various environmental hurdles in childhood prevented the gay man from going through the Oedipal conflict, so that he remains fixated in an identification with mother, and had not identified with his father, and a heterosexual role. (There are other versions of this).

This has been often summarized in popular thinking as having a weak father and an over-powerful/seductive mother, but it's more complicated than that.

However, I think it's considered to be bollocks by most people today in the therapy world, although there are still some analysts who have a related view to this.

Another way of looking at this, was that psychoanalysis was basically defending a patriarchal view of sexuality and gender, and in the process, pathologizing homosexuality.

Many battles have been fought over this, mostly in the direction of depathologizing.

My pastoral experience is that whilst the "absent father" model appears relevant to some male homosexuals, for others it is irrelevant. Indeed, the twin studies on male homosexuality would seem to indicate as much.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Peter Ould

Well, yes, plus the obvious point that lots of people have absent fathers! And lots of them are not gay. I think it was a case of post-rationalization by the psychoanalytic profession; I mean that they refused to look at their own assumptions, and they actually followed very illogical lines of thought. Probably, they wanted/needed to pathologize gays, (as a kind of unconscious defence of patriarchal norms), and then found a theoretical way of doing it. Does this remind you of anybody?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Another interesting point to make is that to keep going on about the differences between straight and gay is actually hysterical and OTT. One might say that it's inevitable, as patriarchal society is dismantled, or perhaps regulated in a different way, but none the less, to focus so much on such differences is quite odd. Actually, in the end, it becomes tedious. If I have a black or gay friend, do I have to keep harping on about the ways in which we are not the same?

--------------------

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
Peter Ould

Well, yes, plus the obvious point that lots of people have absent fathers! And lots of them are not gay. I think it was a case of post-rationalization by the psychoanalytic profession; I mean that they refused to look at their own assumptions, and they actually followed very illogical lines of thought. Probably, they wanted/needed to pathologize gays, (as a kind of unconscious defence of patriarchal norms), and then found a theoretical way of doing it. Does this remind you of anybody?

You miss the point with your straw man. The whole point of research like this is that it *cannot* tell you what the single cause of homosexuality is. Rather, it can indicate certain things like an absent father makes you twice as likely to self-identify as homosexual (I don't know if this figure is true - I'm just creating an example). If the base probability of being homosexual is 1%, all this tells you is that those men with absent fathers still only have a 2% chance, but it's still double the rate for everyone else.

You then have to do qualitative research to answer the "why" question. It could be that the lack of a father feminises the gay man. It could be that the boy who grows up with "gay" characteristics (whatever those are) alienates his father who decides not to hang around with this "poofy" lad! It could be that absent fathers are not themselves a causal issue but are correlated with something that is.

There is a large body of psychological research data looking at parental relationships and to disregard the bits you don't like because they don't fit your paradigm is a dangerous path to take in the name of objectivity.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
Bailey

I know that name, but not with positive conitations...
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
Peter Ould

You miss the point with your straw man. The whole point of research like this is that it *cannot* tell you what the single cause of homosexuality is. Rather, it can indicate certain things like an absent father makes you twice as likely to self-identify as homosexual (I don't know if this figure is true - I'm just creating an example). If the base probability of being homosexual is 1%, all this tells you is that those men with absent fathers still only have a 2% chance, but it's still double the rate for everyone else.

You then have to do qualitative research to answer the "why" question. It could be that the lack of a father feminises the gay man. It could be that the boy who grows up with "gay" characteristics (whatever those are) alienates his father who decides not to hang around with this "poofy" lad! It could be that absent fathers are not themselves a causal issue but are correlated with something that is.

There is a large body of psychological research data looking at parental relationships and to disregard the bits you don't like because they don't fit your paradigm is a dangerous path to take in the name of objectivity.

I'm not decrying the requirement for empirical studies of family relationships, and so on. But psychoanalysis was itself a self-enclosed paradigm, which guaranteed its own conclusions, since it began with them.

Hence, its refusal to train gays and lesbians, since it declared that they were unsuitable to work with some kinds of patients, since they had not themselves traversed the Oedipal conflict successfully. This sounds to me more like theology than empirical science.

--------------------

Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
quote:
Bailey

Are you not into Irish cream?
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit that I am somewhat disconcerted by the eagerness to find out the "causes" of someone being gay. It seems to me that the only reason for being concerned about this is if you are looking for a "cure". The gay people I know don't actually care two hoots about why they are what they are. Whether it is genetic or environmental isn't really of great concern. They just know that this is what they are.

And if we could somehow discover the combination of things that "makes" someone gay? What then? If there is a genetic element, are anti-gay people going to request that genetic screening be put in place to test for this? And if a certain combination of events is seen as a trigger, so what? The only reason for knowing this would be if you wanted to provide therapy to "cure" this "flaw".

Let me approach this in a different way. I am an introvert. That is undeniable. Do I care if this is due to genetics or environmental factors? Not one iota. Because being an introvert is not a "flaw". I don't think that being extrovert would be a better thing for me and I will challenge anyone who tries to give that impression. I will certainly have no time for anyone who suggests that I can be "cured" of my introvert nature, by genetic manipulation or by therapy to reverse what has caused this in me.

What I need, as an introvert, is to know who I am and to be who I am and not try to be something I am not. Nor should I let other people try and force me to be something I am not. I am an introvert. I have to learn how to work within the parameters/limitations of this aspect of my personality. In being an introvert, I am not better nor worse than an extrovert.

This is why I think that the desire to find the "cause" of gayness is pointless, other than of purely academic/theoretical interest.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Oscar the Grouch

Fair comments, and I agree with a lot of that. I would say that psychoanalysts focused a lot on causes of being gay as they were concerned to pathologize it. Hence, the notion of gay as sick, could suggest 'cure', although Freud himself was not as homophobic as this.

I have a memory that Freud also argued that heterosexuality was itself as mysterious as homosexuality, and therefore, it was interesting and worthwhile to investigate it, and possible sources of it. I guess that today his original ideas about the Oedipal conflict have been rejected by many (but not all) analysts and therapists, but some elements of it still persist. The idea that as a young boy you wanted to ravish your mother and kill off your father, is quite piquant - whether it is backed up by empirical observation is another matter.

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
quote:
quote:
Bailey

Are you not into Irish cream?
[Big Grin]

No, that's Mr S-M: coffee and Bailey's is not a treat for him, it's a weekly stable food group!

I do however remember where it comes from having read Oscar the Grouch's comment:

quote:
And if we could somehow discover the combination of things that "makes" someone gay? What then? If there is a genetic element, are anti-gay people going to request that genetic screening be put in place to test for this? And if a certain combination of events is seen as a trigger, so what? The only reason for knowing this would be if you wanted to provide therapy to "cure" this "flaw".
I remember now why I have no positive connotations with Bailey - 'occassional' (being nice today) shoddy academia where evidence that contradicts his conclusions are ignored, no smoke without fire allegations, and a worrying interest in eugenics and a common proponent that homosexuality is an 'evolutionary mistake' (link back to the comment before...)

He's a worrying character, and sorry, I personally would not accept any evidence he has to offer unless presented by the "the gayest rated gay man."

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
... Let me approach this in a different way. I am an introvert. That is undeniable. Do I care if this is due to genetics or environmental factors? Not one iota. Because being an introvert is not a "flaw". I don't think that being extrovert would be a better thing for me and I will challenge anyone who tries to give that impression. I will certainly have no time for anyone who suggests that I can be "cured" of my introvert nature, by genetic manipulation or by therapy to reverse what has caused this in me.

What I need, as an introvert, is to know who I am and to be who I am and not try to be something I am not. Nor should I let other people try and force me to be something I am not. I am an introvert. I have to learn how to work within the parameters/limitations of this aspect of my personality. In being an introvert, I am not better nor worse than an extrovert. ...

Great example, Oscar, and I'd like to add to it. Introverts are often judged by extroverts to be aloof, superior, detached, uncaring, unemotional, and lots of other things like that. Our abilities and contributions are often ignored or unappreciated because we don't blow our own horns constantly. We're told we're lacking in social skills. We're not. We're just introverted, and extroverted people project all sorts of things onto that. Kind of like straight people project their sexual anxieties onto queer people.

And all the while, introverts are constantly working very hard to function and succeed in a culture that prizes extroversion. We learn to go along with misplaced enthusiam and we patiently challenge unrealistic thinking. We learn to wait until everyone has finished talking and are ready to actually start listening. We make up plausible excuses to get our necessary "alone time".

I thing the reason some people are obsessed with the so-called "causes" of homosexuality is simply that they are freaked out fearful that they or someone they care about will be turned gay.

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
I thing the reason some people are obsessed with the so-called "causes" of homosexuality is simply that they are freaked out fearful that they or someone they care about will be turned gay.

That sentence made me smile! I remeber looking for school projects at the posters that were about back in the day talking about the 'gay agenda' and mysteriously turning kid's gay... although looking at some pictures from google to find the examples to show I was 'surprised' to find that they still do the rounds at modern demonstrations...
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

One of the jokes in the therapy world, is that one reason it has caused so much trouble - with some organizations refusing to train gays, yet refusing to admit that they do refuse - is that it causes so much anxiety! I suppose this is increased, as patriarchy starts to crumble.

--------------------

glockenspiel
Shipmate
# 13645

- Posted      Profile for glockenspiel   Author's homepage   Email glockenspiel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

What I need, as an introvert, is to know who I am and to be who I am and not try to be something I am not. Nor should I let other people try and force me to be something I am not.

I have been called an introvert by some people, and an extrovert by some other people. Which group of people should I believe? Neither - it's just about the particular 'mix' of people of which I happen to be a part of, at any one time.
Posts: 1258 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
glockenspiel
Shipmate
# 13645

- Posted      Profile for glockenspiel   Author's homepage   Email glockenspiel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I don't want to in any way discount your son's experience, self-identity and your relationship with him, but is it worth us asking the question *how* do you know he was always gay? Yes, you could see things in from age 7/8 and this is a very common observation, but strictly all that means is that from that age he was evidencing behaviours and preferences associated with a homosexual orientation. However, that 7/8+ experience doesn't tell us *why* he had those behaviours then (and now). The issue of causality cannot be argued from such a basis. His homosexuality could by biologically based but it might also be environmentally based at an earlier point then the 7/8 years old milestone you refer to (or a mix of biology / environment).
Could someone enlighten me as to what those associated behaviours would be, in the case of a 7 or 8 year old ... I had not the faintest idea or view about sex at that age - It would have been on the same plane as other adult, 'not for me' stuff, like the realtive merits of different brands of Malt Whiskey - ie, 'I just don't know what you are talking about'.
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
Originally posted by glockenspiel:
I had not the faintest idea or view about sex at that age - It would have been on the same plane as other adult, 'not for me' stuff, like the realtive merits of different brands of Malt Whiskey - ie, 'I just don't know what you are talking about'.

I imagine, in the same way that personality profiling works, there are characteristics that would make someone consider that the person they were profiling might turn out a certain way, even if the individual themselves is not aware that they may turn out to be a psychopath/arsonist/etc./etc./...

Between parents and children that link is going to be much greater (regardless of how the parent may then feel about what they perceive, try and suppress their perceptions, they perceive it).

I'm not saying that it is acurate and that what is perceived will become true, but people can exhibit behaviour that is perceived as something which may then be true...

Am I making sense?

glockenspiel
Shipmate
# 13645

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
quote:
So why does my arousal at the sight/thought of men, but my lack of arousal at the sight/thought of women, not count as an 'experience'? ...
Ermm, it does count as an experience - albeit one that doesn't tell you very much, until tested in practice.
What on earth do you mean, it doesn't tell you very much? ...

In your wild youth, did you go up to girls and say "hey baby, I don't find you nearly as attractive as that other chick over there on the other side of the room, but I've decided YOU'RE the one I want to take home tonight as an interesting experiment"?

Ermm, yes! Though not in so many words, of course. In fact, I was recommending to a son of a friend of mine the other day that he 'starts with the ugly ones' - easier to bed, so good experience ahead of having a proper relationship, and they'll be grateful, to boot - Everyone's a winner (I also found that I lasted longer with those I wasn't too attracted to - which is a bonus, if sort-of annoying at the same time!).

But apart from other comments already made about the distance between expectations and reality, my use of a porno mag as a teenager only provided me with the very vaguest of ideas about the reality of having an actual person to grapple with - in fact, the first time that a girl came on to me, I ran away!

glockenspiel
Shipmate
# 13645

quote:
quote:
I had not the faintest idea or view about sex at that age - It would have been on the same plane as other adult, 'not for me' stuff, like the realtive merits of different brands of Malt Whiskey - ie, 'I just don't know what you are talking about'.

I imagine, in the same way that personality profiling works, there are characteristics that would make someone consider that the person they were profiling might turn out a certain way, even if the individual themselves is not aware that they may turn out to be a psychopath/arsonist/etc./etc./...

Between parents and children that link is going to be much greater (regardless of how the parent may then feel about what they perceive, try and suppress their perceptions, they perceive it).

I'm not saying that it is acurate and that what is perceived will become true, but people can exhibit behaviour that is perceived as something which may then be true...

Am I making sense?

Yes, sort of .. although we are close to the same waters here as the person who comes back from a psychic to report on how they knew about their uncle Bob - the correct stuff is remembered and held up later as evidence, and a whole heap of incorrect stuff is simply forgotten.
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
Ermm, yes! Though not in so many words, of course. In fact, I was recommending to a son of a friend of mine the other day that he 'starts with the ugly ones' - easier to bed, so good experience ahead of having a proper relationship, and they'll be grateful, to boot - Everyone's a winner (I also found that I lasted longer with those I wasn't too attracted to - which is a bonus, if sort-of annoying at the same time!).

But apart from other comments already made about the distance between expectations and reality, my use of a porno mag as a teenager only provided me with the very vaguest of ideas about the reality of having an actual person to grapple with - in fact, the first time that a girl came on to me, I ran away!

Apart from the obvious moral flaws in your statements, whilst experiementation is a natural part of learning I would not be so proud (?) of giving such advice as you have to people... if your advice had been to have their first experience with someone they had grown to care about then it would be different I guess, but your advice is advocating the use of people as mere objects for experiementation and self-gratification IMHO, not exactly the sort of society that we wish to create surely...
glockenspiel
Shipmate
# 13645

quote:
quote:

Apart from the obvious moral flaws in your statements, whilst experiementation is a natural part of learning I would not be so proud (?) of giving such advice as you have to people... if your advice had been to have their first experience with someone they had grown to care about then it would be different I guess, but your advice is advocating the use of people as mere objects for experiementation and self-gratification IMHO, not exactly the sort of society that we wish to create surely...
No, you're right, it's appalling on a moral level, but it just happened to be the only way that I could find of losing my shyness with girls I was really attracted to.
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
quote:
quote:

Am I making sense?

Yes, sort of .. although we are close to the same waters here as the person who comes back from a psychic to report on how they knew about their uncle Bob - the correct stuff is remembered and held up later as evidence, and a whole heap of incorrect stuff is simply forgotten.
Very true, hence why I couched my statement with the phrases that I did. [Big Grin]

The characteristics perceived were indicative of a state that may come about, whatever miriad of influences that then meant that it became reality would also have an influence (people camp as Christmas who turn out to be straight in comparison to the rather less camp (but still camp) peep who turns out gay) the characteristics that a person exhibits cannot be divorced entirely from their environmental situation - maybe the entire family is camp as christmas, it is just their natural family trait...

It all boils down to me saying, I am quite willing to believe a parent (who si best placed to recognise and interpret their child) when they say that they have an inkling about such and such... my sisters did the same with me ('Finally' was the response when I came out!)

glockenspiel
Shipmate
# 13645

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Am I making sense?

Very true, hence why I couched my statement with the phrases that I did. [Big Grin]

The characteristics perceived were indicative of a state that may come about, whatever miriad of influences that then meant that it became reality would also have an influence (people camp as Christmas who turn out to be straight in comparison to the rather less camp (but still camp) peep who turns out gay) the characteristics that a person exhibits cannot be divorced entirely from their environmental situation - maybe the entire family is camp as christmas, it is just their natural family trait...

It all boils down to me saying, I am quite willing to believe a parent (who si best placed to recognise and interpret their child) when they say that they have an inkling about such and such... my sisters did the same with me ('Finally' was the response when I came out!)

Ah, I see. Well, if we're talking about 'hunches', then, yes, I'm cool with that.
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

quote:
quote:
quote:

No, you're right, it's appalling on a moral level, but it just happened to be the only way that I could find of losing my shyness with girls I was really attracted to.
Oh I refuse to judge you for it, I think many people are guilty of doing/thinking something along those lines at somepoint in life if they are honest...

I was just objecting to it being a part of a pastoral approach...

glockenspiel
Shipmate
# 13645

Fair comment. The lad in question just took it as amusing lad-banter, in any event.
Peter Ould
Shipmate
# 482

quote:
quote:
quote:

Could someone enlighten me as to what those associated behaviours would be, in the case of a 7 or 8 year old ... I had not the faintest idea or view about sex at that age - It would have been on the same plane as other adult, 'not for me' stuff, like the realtive merits of different brands of Malt Whiskey - ie, 'I just don't know what you are talking about'.
Well there is some research to suggest that those who in adult life self-identify as homosexual demonstrate in childhood atypical gender behaviours. This might be as extreme as a boy wanting to dress up in girls' clothes and play with Barbies, to more simple non-gender conformity like not liking playing with same-sex peers. Of course, the danger is to jump on this description and to assume that gender non-conformity is always an indicator of adult identification as homosexual (it isn't) OR to find some examples of those who self-identify in adulthood as homosexual but didn't display such gender non-conformity as a child as evidence that the theory is baseless. We are talking about behaviour patterns as children that increase the likelihood that an adult will self-identify as homosexual and NOT a direct causal relationship.

--------------------
Peter Ould
www.peter-ould.net

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016