homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » History Doesn't Repeat Itself, But It Does Rhyme (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: History Doesn't Repeat Itself, But It Does Rhyme
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are wanting a legalistic interpretation. It doesn't work that way here. Just as this is a secular country but there is no separation of church and state such that some religious schools, mostly Roman Catholic, are supported by both property taxes and are budget items from several levels of government. It is not illegal to have school prayer, though it's not done because people who are not religious get offended. People have both rights to do things and rights not to be offended, and it is expected that in some situations that people who have the right to do things, don't because it concerns the feelings and possibly rights of others. I think this is also why people think Canadians apologize a lot. I guess we do.

You cannot reconcile what goes on here to another country's arrangement.

Let me see if I can make this clearer. A gathering sponsored by a school could not segregate. A gathering tied to a school because it had only or mainly students from the school could not either, but this would be a matter of degree and might be a should not versus could not or shall not in some circumstances. So they just wouldn't. People actually do things some times not because it is a requirement of law, but because it should be that way. A gathering tied to a school is not cast in law nor via a rule. Rather, because it contains only or mostly students from the school, the school could interfere with it, and probably would do so with variation among schools, and how closely tied to the school the gathering is.

Example. There is and was a school band program at the highschool my kids attended. The teacher/conductor played in a jazz band which performs elsewhere. Students from the school commonly go and watch. Because the conductor-teacher invited the students, it has a rather clear relationship to the school and becomes something about which the school has involvement and thus something to say about conduct. The same holds true for the party after the soccer or football game. The degree of connection to the school becomes a matter for debate and argument and it not necessarily clear.

Another example. Schools commonly prohibit students from going to a local shopping mall at recesses and lunch time. This is more straightforward than the wish to have children go home from school and not stop at the mall on the way home. However, if something has happened at the mall on the way home, the school would start with an advisory and work from there depending on the situation and who was involved. -- we're talking drug deals and kids getting adults to pull for them. The school (and community) have an interest and some degree of obligation to attend to things like this, so they do.

So the things you cannot reconcile are not within the frame you wish to reconcile them.

[ 14. March 2013, 00:35: Message edited by: no prophet ]

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following the theme of the OP, Mediaite has an online quiz where you try to tell whether the quote is in opposition to same-sex marriage or interracial marriage. Sifting them is almost impossible.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016