homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fox News fuckwit thinks that if the SCOTUS rules favorably on marriage equality, it will perforce make Christians second-class citizens and lead to persecution "like we have never seen it."

Pantywaists like this shithead wouldn't know persecution if it hit them upside the head.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously. Every time a Christian leader compares societal inconvenience to "persecution," it shames the martyrs.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Naw. You can't shame them anymore than you can drown out the sun with a flashlight. It just makes the talker sound like an idiot.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, all we have to do is look at totalitarian hellholes like Massachusetts, Iowa, and Washington (state or DC, take your pick) to see this persecution already in action.

Plus there's the object lesson of how every last Roman Catholic in America was hunted down and brutally executed when they wouldn't accept remarriage after divorce.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, in Canada after gay marriage was introduced, Christians could only go out after dark, they are so afraid of being set on and beaten. In fact, in some towns, the word 'Christian' is itself banned, and some euphemism has to be found.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Paranoid]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Massachusetts Christian, I can confirm we're ferociously persecuted. Why, just the other day I considered fleeing to the island of Patmos.
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time gay people get married, a lion is born.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the closest San Francisco Christians usually get to persecution is courtesy of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Drag nuns, basically. They do good charitable work...but they also love poking at Christianity--especially around Easter. (E.g., this Easter, there's a Hunky Jesus contest, and an Easter haunted house--said in an article to make a lot of fun of Christianity.)

LGBT folks have many very good reasons to be angry with Christianity, but...
[Eek!]

OTOH, Christianity still thrives here, in all sorts of manifestations. So I don't think legality of same-sex marriage will drive us to turn old civil defense shelters and sub-basements into catacombs, nor to burn our Bibles as an offering to Cthulu! (And FYI: none of that happened when it was previously legal.)

I'm for same-sex marriage, and voted for it in the past. It's possible that Prop. 8--the anti-gay marriage legislation--confused people, which caused them to vote differently than they meant. I.e., voting for Prop. 8 meant you were against SSM; and voting against it meant you were for SSM. I know I found it very confusing, and was very, very careful to make sure how I was really voting.

I heard a few excerpts from the session with the Supremes. Charles(?)Cooper, defending Prop. 8, stumbled a lot, IMHO. He should've anticipated the questions about "what harm would SSM actually do to straight married couples and society". He could have at least prepared *some* sort of answer. But he got all tangled up. To be fair, a lawyer on the other side messed up, too. 'Tis a fearful thing to appear before the Supremes, even though many lawyers dream of it.

I suspect many of the folks who argue that SSM will destroy Marriage (tm) and Society (tm) really just have an "ew...ick" reaction to anything to do with LGBT folks...but they don't want to be labeled as hateful. Would it be better if they were honest??? I don't know.

PS Cooper argued that (straight) marriage is for the protection of children--but waffled when asked whether kids of same-sex parents also need that protection. Argued something to the effect of "well, there are no statistics showing that having same-sex parents marry would make a difference to the kids' well-being".
[Roll Eyes]

[ 27. March 2013, 07:16: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Pantywaists like this shithead wouldn't know persecution if it hit them upside the head.

They're not too hot on understanding the concept of discrimination either.

It's only a matter of time before all you breeders are banned from drinking coffee.

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just can't get my head around this "not being able to enforce my moral beliefs on everyone else" = "persecution" thing.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just seeing a restriction on being able to oppress, as itself an oppression. Thus, if I am a Christian B & B owner, and I am told I cannot bar gays from my business, I am being persecuted. My right to persecute has been infringed.

I suppose a slave-owner could complain that his right to own slaves has been infringed.

--------------------

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How it usually seems to work involves an epic display of slippery slope fallacy which often jumps to catastrophe so quickly it's almost impossible to follow. Often the most shrill arguments are not even raging about anything that anyone has proposed doing - they're raging about some theoretical next step, and it's impossible to *prove* that this will never happen so they think they've won the argument. I've lost count of the number of times people have complained about religious organisations being allowed to conduct same sex weddings, because it will lead to them being forced to conduct them, and before we know it the jails will all be overflowing with Christian ministers who couldn't go against their conscience. AND THEN WHAT? (This even pops up on SoF a fair amount.) Or what about when people are allowed to marry goats? WHAT'S NEXT?

Certainly that's what seems to be going on with the Starbucks rant. How you can jump so quickly from "CEO expresses support for LGBT people" to "Christians will be banned from our coffeeshops and we'll only employ gay people, because we object to anyone who's not in a same sex relationship!" is a bit of a mystery to me. But that's how they make these arguments work. I suppose it sort of makes sense in a worldview that is heavily coloured with ideas about spiritual warfare - one battle, two sides, and you're with Jesus, so anyone who disagrees is gaining territory for Satan. If Satan's allowed to win some battles, then he'll go for the next steps which sound ridiculous to anyone who doesn't have this particular worldview.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, it sounds very Manichean, as if there are only two forces around, one dark, one light. If you step slightly outside the light, (i.e. homophobia), you are perforce pitched into the darkness, (i.e. gay marriages become compulsory for everyone).

As well as goats, I have heard the one about fathers marrying sons quite a lot, as a slippery slope. It is kind of hysterical.

I wonder if Canadians are marrying goats a lot these days?

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yes, it sounds very Manichean, as if there are only two forces around, one dark, one light. If you step slightly outside the light, (i.e. homophobia), you are perforce pitched into the darkness, (i.e. gay marriages become compulsory for everyone).

As well as goats, I have heard the one about fathers marrying sons quite a lot, as a slippery slope. It is kind of hysterical.

I wonder if Canadians are marrying goats a lot these days?

I think you've missed a step. Isn't it meant to be polygamy next, then incest, then bestiality? Or is that Plan B?

What amuses me most about this line of thinking is that it comes from people who believe the divinely dictated history of their entire religion contained an incredible amount of polygamy, as well as a smattering of incest, and arguably bestiality, or how would you know? But polygamy is positively approved, and even the vilest perversions barely seem to be worthy of condemnation.

Maybe God's like a crotchety old grandmother, and there are things that disgust Him so much He Just Doesn't Want To Talk About Them.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I think the closest San Francisco Christians usually get to persecution is courtesy of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Drag nuns, basically. They do good charitable work...but they also love poking at Christianity--especially around Easter. (E.g., this Easter, there's a Hunky Jesus contest, and an Easter haunted house--said in an article to make a lot of fun of Christianity.)

[Eek!]

Indeed. Has any faith ever had to endure such a relentless barrage of campy satire? [Roll Eyes]

quote:
I suppose a slave-owner could complain that his right to own slaves has been infringed.

Not only could they, they did. That was more or less the whole justification for the Confederate States of America. The Declaration of the Causes of Secession passed by Texas is particularly instructive on this point.

quote:
In all the non-slave-holding States, in violation of that good faith and comity which should exist between entirely distinct nations, the people have formed themselves into a great sectional party, now strong enough in numbers to control the affairs of each of those States, based upon an unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of equality of all men, irrespective of race or color-- a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of Divine Law. They demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy, the recognition of political equality between the white and negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States.

For years past this abolition organization has been actively sowing the seeds of discord through the Union, and has rendered the federal congress the arena for spreading firebrands and hatred between the slave-holding and non-slave-holding States.

By consolidating their strength, they have placed the slave-holding States in a hopeless minority in the federal congress, and rendered representation of no avail in protecting Southern rights against their exactions and encroachments.

They have proclaimed, and at the ballot box sustained, the revolutionary doctrine that there is a 'higher law' than the constitution and laws of our Federal Union, and virtually that they will disregard their oaths and trample upon our rights.

They have for years past encouraged and sustained lawless organizations to steal our slaves and prevent their recapture, and have repeatedly murdered Southern citizens while lawfully seeking their rendition.

They have invaded Southern soil and murdered unoffending citizens, and through the press their leading men and a fanatical pulpit have bestowed praise upon the actors and assassins in these crimes, while the governors of several of their States have refused to deliver parties implicated and indicted for participation in such offenses, upon the legal demands of the States aggrieved.

They have, through the mails and hired emissaries, sent seditious pamphlets and papers among us to stir up servile insurrection and bring blood and carnage to our firesides.

They have sent hired emissaries among us to burn our towns and distribute arms and poison to our slaves for the same purpose.

They have impoverished the slave-holding States by unequal and partial legislation, thereby enriching themselves by draining our substance.

They have refused to vote appropriations for protecting Texas against ruthless savages, for the sole reason that she is a slave-holding State.

And, finally, by the combined sectional vote of the seventeen non-slave-holding States, they have elected as president and vice-president of the whole confederacy two men whose chief claims to such high positions are their approval of these long continued wrongs, and their pledges to continue them to the final consummation of these schemes for the ruin of the slave-holding States.

--------------------

Bax
Shipmate
# 16572

- Posted      Profile for Bax   Email Bax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The attitude that to clinch an argument one needs to assert:

"....but of course we are the victims here!"

is itself interesting.

I found Girard's book "I see Satan fall like lightening" most instructive on this topic. (Don't let the title of the book put you off...)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/See-Satan-Fall-Rene-Girard/dp/0852442904/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364392622&sr=8-1

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I just can't get my head around this "not being able to enforce my moral beliefs on everyone else" = "persecution" thing.

It's quite simple, really. If the world around you has previously been a place that gave a warm, glowing reflection of your thoughts back to you, the removal of that warm glow will feel uncomfortably chilly. The loss of your previous benefit is therefore 'persecution' even if no-one is actively doing anything to make you less uncomfortable than other people.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, there's another way to view this oppression. From the "victim" PoV (at least in the U.S.), it might look like this:

My government grants me freedom of speech (which I can use, for example, to pray aloud), but then forbids my exercising that right on government property and on government time.

My government grants me freedom of religion (which I can use to practice the One and Only True Faith, er, religion of my choice), but then forbids visual and textual expressions of same on government property, unless I'm willing to suffer the horrors of sharing that space with heathen false sinful deceiving idols of Satan's Corrupting Works, like menorahs or Santa Claus.

My government grants me freedom of association (which I can use to hang around with anyone I wish), but then forbids me to evangelize (using my speech and religious rights) those poor wretched fallen benighted tainted heathen atheist sinners whose souls I have committed myself to saving.

It's easy to see how some people arrive, via this route, at the conclusion that The Government Can't Be Trusted (since it seems to talk out of both sides of its mouth), and My Rights Are Being Trampled, and therefore I Am Being Oppressed Because Of My Faith.

It can seem a trifle paradoxical.

[ 27. March 2013, 18:11: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
My government grants me freedom of speech (which I can use, for example, to pray aloud), but then forbids my exercising that right on government property and on government time.

Where does the government forbid people from praying aloud? Just out of curiosity. In the US, the government forbids teachers from leading students in prayer. But the ACLU has fought tooth and nail for the rights of students to have prayer group meetings on school property (something the right-wing anti-ACLU types conveniently forget) (not saying that's you).

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Where does the government forbid people from praying aloud? Just out of curiosity.
It's my (not necessarily up-to-date) understanding that students are allowed to pray on school property only outside of regular school hours, and only away from 'common' areas, so others are not forced to overhear such prayers. So, yes, you're right, they can pray on gov. property, but then some have complained that the secluded nature of the prayer stomps on their free speech rights to 'witness' to their faith. It appears that, at least for some, the point of prayer is at least as much to be seen/heard praying by the godless sinners who threaten, er, surround them as it is to commune with their deity. I suspect that, for some, witness may be a form of communion, and therefore what I see as two potentially different prayer-purposes overlap or even coincide for others.

I don't personally agree or support this approach, but I do see their point: the government seems to them to be granting with one hand what it removes with the other.

In the legislature where I currently serve, the House Speaker calls a recess before the opening exercises every session. The exercises consist of opening prayer, the pledge of allegiance, and a rendition of the national anthem. I sometimes wonder if a case can be made over the fact that the chamber in which these exercises take place is otherwise used solely for public governmental purposes aside from this 10-minute recess, and that any prayer conducted there is therefore out-of-place if not out-of-order. The legislative prayer group meets at a nearby church, for example.

But frankly, I haven't the time or energy to bother. They do at least make an attempt to represent different religious groups with the prayers (although the House Chaplain is the senior pastor of my former church). I've yet to hear prayers from any imams or Hindu holy men, though.

Still, I wish I didn't have to provide my assent-through-silence to what, IMO, is both superstition and a minor imposition on my time. I'm stuck in the middle of a row, and would have to climb over several people in either direction to remove myself.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

...I've yet to hear prayers from any imams or Hindu holy men, though...

The Oregon Legislature received a blessing in Sanskrit from a Nepalese Buddhist priest, Portland being home to the only such temple outside Nepal.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to judge the reaction of the recipients from the video I saw.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Ah, so the government prevents people from haranguing others -- particularly others who are a captive audience (you can't get away from school). Which is apparently a basic right. This goes right back to the title of the thread.

I suppose it makes sense that they want to religiously bully other kids, since a lot of conservatives in this country think anti-bullying rules and laws are bad. God wants us to hound other children into committing suicide, whenever and wherever possible.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
Where does the government forbid people from praying aloud? Just out of curiosity.

It's my (not necessarily up-to-date) understanding that students are allowed to pray on school property only outside of regular school hours, and only away from 'common' areas, so others are not forced to overhear such prayers. So, yes, you're right, they can pray on gov. property, but then some have complained that the secluded nature of the prayer stomps on their free speech rights to 'witness' to their faith.
That is indeed a very outdated understanding of school prayer. Students are allowed to pray in any non-disruptive way at school, even during school hours. For example, saying a blessing over your lunch is allowed, even in a crowded lunchroom where other students can see or hear* you. Bellowing the Lord's Prayer at the top of your lungs during exam time is not. Witnessing or otherwise discussing religion is likewise permitted, provided it's both non-disruptive and non-harassing. In other words, a public school is not permitted to engage in "viewpoint discrimination" by singling out ideas of a religious nature for treatment different than any other set of ideas.

Where public schools most often get into trouble is when the administration tries to organize religious activities. That's outside their remit.

--------------------
* Just kidding. It's a school lunchroom. There's no way anyone will hear you.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

For those who are interested, you can take the ACLU's religion in public schools pop quiz. It's pretty straightforward, if you understand the principles involved.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's worth adding that it's completely OK to use the Bible, say, in public schools as an example of literature. Studying the use of language in the KJV is fine.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

[Eek!]

Indeed. Has any faith ever had to endure such a relentless barrage of campy satire? [Roll Eyes]
[Hot and Hormonal]
My intent was to be somewhat humorous. Sorry if I failed!

What I was trying to say is that being lampooned by the Sisters is about as close to being persecuted as San Francisco Christians are likely to get--and that isn't close at all.

I did mention that they do good charitable work, and have good reason to be angry with Christianity. I'm fine with their drag nuns schtick/routine. I'm just not so fine with making a big, public deal of poking at Christianity at Christian holidays. That's all.

[Angel]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:

...I've yet to hear prayers from any imams or Hindu holy men, though...

The Oregon Legislature received a blessing in Sanskrit from a Nepalese Buddhist priest, Portland being home to the only such temple outside Nepal.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to judge the reaction of the recipients from the video I saw.

I seem to recall some strum und drang from the local OMG WE'RE PERSECUTED crowd when that went down, but these people will shout "Persecution!" at the drop of a Promise Keepers hat.

Portland's the least-religious city in the US, by the way.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

The least self-reportedly religious city in the U.S. That's not necessarily the same thing.

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever "persecution" talk breaks out, I ask that someone name a conservative kicked to death by liberals. Strangely, no one ever can. And they get very uncomfortable, for fear I should start naming those kicked to death by conservatives and their ilk.

And, alas, I'm utterly literal about kicked to death.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if you beat your child because she dishonours you by dating - we might put her in care eventually ...

(If you kill her, to prevent her further endangering her immortal soul in the USA - they might execute you.)

[ 29. March 2013, 10:52: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

The least self-reportedly religious city in the U.S. That's not necessarily the same thing.
Living here, lemme tell you, it's pretty damn close.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also, in Canada after gay marriage was introduced, Christians could only go out after dark, they are so afraid of being set on and beaten. In fact, in some towns, the word 'Christian' is itself banned, and some euphemism has to be found.

That's just the anti English laws in Quebec :-)
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There seems to be a landslide of people coming out in favor of gay marriage in the US around the Supreme Court cases. Politicians who were anti-ssm out of political calculation are feeling brave enough to support it.

This leaves the anti gay marriage people in an awkward position since a majority of young people think they're dead wrong.

The temporary strategy is to deny their previous positions. To quote Rush Limbaugh,Right Wing Radio Host; of course gays should be allowed civil unions,just not redefining marriage. Really? Did you not fulminate against civil unions a year ago.

Part of this strategy is to blur the history and focus on "we're just concerned on how anti-gay-marriage people are treated so they're not persecute". They're viewed as wrong, old fashioned or despicable, but persecution is a stretch. Just like how slaveholders were persecuted after the Emancipation.

If the public shift continues; and it's hard to tell if it will; gay marriage will become as uncontroversial as inter-racial marriage. And if that happens, there's going to be a period of silence followed by a rewriting of history by the church groups that fought it.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over in the UK, George Carey's worried about being oppressed now. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was impressed at a meeting of clergy when ArchB Sentamu (a conservative Evangelical) was asked by other conservative Evangelicals to comment on the "persecution" of Christians by the British media. His answer was that he'd seen real persecution abroad, and that whatever happened in Britain did not count as persecution.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good for him. (Sentamu, not Carey,)

[ 31. March 2013, 16:01: Message edited by: roybart ]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
I was impressed at a meeting of clergy when ArchB Sentamu (a conservative Evangelical) was asked by other conservative Evangelicals to comment on the "persecution" of Christians by the British media. His answer was that he'd seen real persecution abroad, and that whatever happened in Britain did not count as persecution.

Exactly. Same goes for America.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Over in the UK, George Carey's worried about being oppressed now. [Roll Eyes]

Specifically, worried because a few bureaucrats might lose their jobs if they refuse to perform new duties.

The only question I see is whether employees in general have a right to an unchanging job description. I don't see how they do, unless they are members of labor unions strong enough to demand that proposed changes be negotiated. In the U.S., at least, across-the-board "conservatives" are anti-organized-labor. Hence they wouldn't want to argue that such power is a good thing and have probably done all they can to prevent it.

If you refuse to do work that you see as harmful, that's fine, and welcome to the crowd: those who don't believe in drinking so can't work in breweries or bars; who cannot work in casinos because they oppose gambling; who spurn interrupting family meals and therefore will not work as telemarketers.... the list goes on and on. There is no cause for a chip on the shoulder or a feeling that one has been uniquely put upon.

This man was once chosen to be Archbishop of Canterbury in a branch of the church that values reason... and in the good old days at that? I blush. Perhaps he has been so long retired that his brain isn't working as well as it once did.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Carey knew his history, he would know that candidates for baptism in the early church could not be in the military, be actors or be school teachers.

If he is a 'traditionalist', he should expect that Christians cannot do certain jobs.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
If Carey knew his history, he would know that candidates for baptism in the early church could not be in the military, be actors or be school teachers.

If he is a 'traditionalist', he should expect that Christians cannot do certain jobs.

The military restriction faded rapidly, for there are very early tales of martyrs among the military ranks.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Cornelius, in Acts 10?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What did the early church have against teachers?

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
What did the early church have against teachers?

Subject to correction by one more learned than myself, I believe it was because whatever the word that is translated as "teacher" is, the meaning was people who taught philosophy. And the church only became reconciled to philosophy some decades (a couple of centuries?) along. Because it knew -- don't we all -- that philsophers were a bunch of anti-theists. WHich many may have been, of course, for all I know.

As for the soldiers mentioned above, Cornelius was a3-4 decades ahead of the prohibition in question. And it was a live issue for a good long while, before the force of numbers after Constantine (when all soldiers were encouraged by the state to convert, as it were) forced the church to change its tune. THe prohibition, after all, predates the concept of a "just war". It reflects the reality that soldiers of the time were expected to -- and many did -- rape, kill and commit other offences against God if necessary as part of their jobs.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Subject to correction by one more learned than myself, I believe it was because whatever the word that is translated as "teacher" is, the meaning was people who taught philosophy. And the church only became reconciled to philosophy some decades (a couple of centuries?) along. Because it knew -- don't we all -- that philsophers were a bunch of anti-theists. WHich many may have been, of course, for all I know.

That's an old idea. One of the official charges for which Socrates was convicted and executed was atheism. Of course, the real charge against Socrates was espousing a philosophy that produced people like Critias and Alkibiades, but he couldn't be charged with that under the amnesty established after the fall of the Thirty Tyrants.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016