homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Sexuality, Tolerance, and Public School Curricula (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Sexuality, Tolerance, and Public School Curricula
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my experience as a union rep., the more incidents that a gay teacher reports, the more the had and deputies think it is his fault.

Schools are the most homophobic places on the planet.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
The only person who knows the whole thing is me.

I'd start writing down the incidents -- dates, times, names, comments. I'd also report, as well as consult with your union rep. If the school isn't dealing with this crap, they're aiding and abetting a work atmosphere that's hostile and toxic for you.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
Suppose I actually succeed in becoming a high school history teacher. One day in the minutes before class starts, a student walks in wearing a shirt that says, "Born this way" and another student tells him/her "You know that gay people who don't repent are going to Hell, right?" or perhaps something less proselytizing like "I don't like having your immorality put on display like that in school." The first student tells me to tell the second student that talking that way is wrong and s/he can't say those things in school. What do I say? What if the first student knows (since these things are hard to hide - trust me we knew all about the teachers in my school) that I'm gay and uses that to demand I say that any speech calling homosexuality sinful or immoral is bigoted and wrong? Students may technically be under the control of their teachers and administrators in US high schools, but they are pretty vocal and the adults working in schools know that telling everyone to shut up and pay attention so class can start when something really controversial is happening is likely to make the situation even worse. I need to address the issue head on in some way - but I can't tell someone that their religious beliefs are wrong. I'm not even sure if I can tell someone that they can't speak their religious beliefs aloud in conversation at school. I'm a bit afraid of this situation coming up, and I hear about teachers who try to deal with it and the legal controversies that have ensued.

I'm curious about what you've heard, and I want to share this for some background (it's a link to a Teaching Tolerance article on GLBTQ teacher experiences in the States.)

I have never fielded exactly that situation, but I think if I were to, I would use exactly the same tactic that would be applicable if the discussion was about religion, not sexuality. My own practice/sexuality simply wouldn't enter into it, confirmed or denied, because I'm not entering into this discussion as a participating party--it's neither here nor there in terms of my relationship to the people having the conversation. As a teacher, in a moment like that, my role would be to direct the students to have that discussion elsewhere, off the class clock, if they wanted to--and to remind them that the school's code of conduct is pretty clear about discussions not becoming attacks.

That is what I would do, in the moment. After the moment, I would most likely want to check in with the Born This Way shirt student, to make sure he or she was aware of the resources available, and to give him or her space to have a conversation if desired.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:

I have never fielded exactly that situation, but I think if I were to, I would use exactly the same tactic that would be applicable if the discussion was about religion, not sexuality. My own practice/sexuality simply wouldn't enter into it, confirmed or denied, because I'm not entering into this discussion as a participating party--it's neither here nor there in terms of my relationship to the people having the conversation. As a teacher, in a moment like that, my role would be to direct the students to have that discussion elsewhere, off the class clock, if they wanted to--and to remind them that the school's code of conduct is pretty clear about discussions not becoming attacks.

That is what I would do, in the moment. After the moment, I would most likely want to check in with the Born This Way shirt student, to make sure he or she was aware of the resources available, and to give him or her space to have a conversation if desired.

Spot on.

Stay strong, Robert Armin.

[ 20. March 2014, 03:31: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robert, how do you think contacting someone like Shaun Dellenty and finding out what support he can offer would work? He may be able to suggest some whole school work that means you can go back to the school and suggest a whole school intervention on bullying and homphobic bullying.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Robert Armin:

quote:
This is a very real issue to me at the moment. I'm nearly at the end of my first term at a local comprehensive, so that's probably the equivalent of an American High School, and I'm on the receiving end of a fair bit of homophobic comments. Although I'm out here on the Ship I haven't said anything about my sexuality at all, and the only time I've said anything about homosexuality at all was in a revision class (I explained the RCC was against it, and why).

If teenagers nowadays are anything like teenagers when I were a lad homophobic bullying is an equal opportunities employer. I went through a less than enjoyable period when I was 14 when some of my erstwhile friends decided that giving me a hard time about my continued existence was a good idea at the slightest provocation. The grounds for this was that I was gay. Which, as it happens, is not the case. But it's not as if my tormentors much cared about the accurate classification of my sexual orientation.

Your young thugs may have excellent gaydar but they may, equally, just be horrible young people. With any luck they will grow out of it but in the mean time you are entitled to do your job without being bullied. End of. If you are not getting backed up by management go and talk to your trade union representative.

People who are being bullied, particularly if they are good hearted decent people who would themselves not bully another person sometimes think, on some level, that they have brought it upon themselves, so whilst I hope it is unnecessary for me to say this: this is not on you. Do whatever you can to protect yourself and if, as an authority figure, you have opportunities to demonstrate that making your life difficult will have adverse consequences for those concerned do not hesitate. But do it in cold blood. Losing your temper with the little fuckers will do you no good at all. Stay frosty and keep before you the knowledge that you are a good person who does not deserve this crap.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm impressed by Robert Armin's candour and vulnerability, also by the thoughtfulness of responses.

I'm also conscious that these are public boards, that other eyes may be watching, that Robert is dealing with an ongoing RL problem.

May I suggest, for his sake, that we consider making further responses by PM and wait for a further signal from Robert that he is comfortable with further public discussion of his specifics? There is of course also an AS dimension to this kind of support.

It might be good to move back to more general discussion of the issues, including those illuminated by Robert's personal experiences.

Barnabas62
Dead Horses Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Oh yeah, and this:

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
... I wonder if parents shouldn’t be handed an array of materials by educators, and given to students as homework: “Here you go – this is a whole-family assignment; choose your curriculum, activities, and assignments, and turn them next Monday.” That way, parents have control over what the kids get taught, but there’s a choice of professionally-designed materials to help and guide them. ...

There are two chances of that: fat and slim. [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
The Free Church of Scotland issued sex-ed pamphlets in the late C19th, to help parents. They were concerned about innocent teenage girls becoming pregnant after being "surprised in sin."

I suspect they were very basic, and not illustrated in any way, but they were apparently very popular.

We have had a service in which the senior Sunday School (over 8s, the under 8s were in the hall) were told to sit with their families rather than in a group. During the sermon, the minister stressed the importance of parents talking to their children about sex, and, addressing the children in the congregation directly, told them that if they had any questions about sex, they should ask their parents, suggesting that day's Sunday lunch as a good opportunity for frank discussion.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by north east quine
quote:
We have had a service in which the senior Sunday School (over 8s, the under 8s were in the hall) were told to sit with their families rather than in a group. During the sermon, the minister stressed the importance of parents talking to their children about sex, and, addressing the children in the congregation directly, told them that if they had any questions about sex, they should ask their parents, suggesting that day's Sunday lunch as a good opportunity for frank discussion.
I think that sounds brilliant. Of course, some of the parents might have been offended, or if asked questions later, may have prevaricated, but to point out from the pulpit that sex-ed is a parental duty is good.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016