homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fuckwit Homophobe Sightings

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Fuckwit Homophobe Sightings
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if this requires a thread of its own, but maybe a general purpose thread where we acknowledge really stupid things people say in the service of homophobia.

Russian Orthodox priest says football is gay because players wear brightly-colored shoes

Don't get me wrong. I love being Orthodox. But my God what fuckwits we are capable of breeding. [brick wall]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Real men wear beige.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Old men wear beige. Or 'greige'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, Real Men wear pink.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Upper class and upper middle class Englishmen are very comfortable in pink shirts.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand that in the past pink was the male colour (according to QI). I don't know when it turned blue.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Man with hair in bun and long frock criticises others' dress for being effeminate? Ok, he's got a beard, but so has Conchita Wurst.
Still, if he thinks (Association) football is gay, thank goodness he's never seen the positions men get into in a rugby scrum, or the short shorts and sleeveless jerseys of Australian Rules.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
No, no, Real Men wear pink.

So does God.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of the point someone made on Facebook just after Eurovision about the Russian Orthodox Church: " 'We don't like men with beards in dresses', say....er....men with beards in dresses."

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Real Men are not defined by what they wear.

In other news, someone is objecting to being asked to bake a 'gay cake' on the grounds that doing so will violate their Christian business ethic.

I must have missed that memo. I thought Christian business ethics were about dealing honestly with your clients, charging a fair price, delivering the goods when you say you will, and so on. Is the clause about not working for gays buried somewhere in the small print?

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

In other news, someone is objecting to being asked to bake a 'gay cake' on the grounds that doing so will violate their Christian business ethic.

Actually, that one's a bit interesting. We've had a couple of cases in the US recently (cake for gay wedding, photographer for gay wedding) where the businessfolk have claimed that their rights are being violated by forcing them to "endorse" gay marriage, and the courts held that photographing a gay wedding did not imply making a statement in favour of the existence of gay marriage.

In this case, however, the cake is explicitly political speech - it's a cake saying "support gay rights" for a gay rights organization.

This isn't asking whether your Christian business can refuse to serve Muslims, it's asking whether your Christian business can refuse to print pamphlets denying the divinity of Christ.

[ 08. July 2014, 22:08: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an entire open thread for that Leorning Cniht here

So please use it for any discussion of businesses claiming they have a right not to serve LGBT people.
Thanks!
Louise
Dead Horses Host

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I don't know if this requires a thread of its own, but maybe a general purpose thread where we acknowledge really stupid things people say in the service of homophobia.

Russian Orthodox priest says football is gay because players wear brightly-colored shoes

Don't get me wrong. I love being Orthodox. But my God what fuckwits we are capable of breeding. [brick wall]

FWIW I used to think all Orthodox were like this until I met you and the others on the ship. So thank you.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
FWIW I used to think all Orthodox were like this until I met you and the others on the ship. So thank you.

[Angel] Thank you for your kind words. Now you know we're not all raging homophobes, some of us are merely foul-mouthed pugilists.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I note from the article that Fr. Shumsky
quote:
... was also offended by the "unthinkable" hairstyles of some of the players ...
Pot, meet kettle. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as well they haven't met this guy. Long hair, tights (or their historical equivalent) and a beard... their heads would explode.

And he definitely wasn't gay. Au contraire, as the French would say.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Behold Czar Mikhail Feodorovich, founder of the Romanov dynasty! Check out the dress! The bright colored shoes! The heels!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Behold Czar Mikhail Feodorovich, founder of the Romanov dynasty! Check out the dress! The bright colored shoes! The heels!

Dear God, the shoes remind me of those of... HIM!! from the Powerpuff Girls.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moving on to a theologian: backstory: Burger King, in San Francisco, during Pride Week, marketed a "Pride Sandwich": a regular Whopper, but sold in a rainbow-ornamented envelope, with the phrase "Because, on the inside, we're all the same" printed on the envelope. Well...duh! especially in that city.

As a result, theologian John Piper has shown his total lack of Second-Great-Commandment-recall by excommunicating Burger King and their sandwiches

One also notes that Tyler Perry, who seems to be something-or-other in the Christian industry, has trade-marked the phrase "WWJD", although he graciously will continue to allow the free usage of the name "Jesus" (continuation of same article)

Does it always have to be the total dingbats who get news coverage. Has Hemant Mehta infiltrated his minions quietly into all the news services? Or do the Christians feel compelled to do it all themselves?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a cunning plan to provide Marcus Brigstocke with more material for his standup gigs, no?
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Don't get me wrong. I love being Orthodox. But my God what fuckwits we are capable of breeding.

Yeah, me too. He's a fuckwit cuz he sez this shit, but I'm inclined to cut him some slack.

I'm of a certain age and any time I see one of these things on a man, the eight-year-old in me mutters, dresses like a fag. Then my adult filter interposes itself between my reptile brain and my lips.
  • ankle socks
  • the color pink
  • hair in bun
  • t-shirt with a scooped front
  • depilation anywhere on the body
  • plucked eyebrows (deserves special mention)
  • any sort of make up
  • use of skin moisterizer
  • loafers without socks
  • sweater draped over the shoulders
  • yellow sweaters (fuck it, any pastel color)
  • the thin line of beard current known as a chin strap
  • any styled beard
  • more than one finger ring
  • a gold chain (unless he's Italian, and even then…)
  • pierced ear (hell, pierced anything)
  • any ear ring or toe ring
  • any sort of leather, unless it's a shoe, belt, or coat (and even the coat can get you in trouble)
I could go on and on, but you get the idea. You see the benighted time and place that spawned me. And, let's not even start on suspect behavior.

So yeah, that photo of the multi-colored shoes looks pretty faggy to me. Being Oriented-time-three and acknowledging my place in the late-20th century and early-21st century, I don't say these things out loud and I bemoan myself for thinking them.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Don't get me wrong. I love being Orthodox. But my God what fuckwits we are capable of breeding.

Yeah, me too. He's a fuckwit cuz he sez this shit, but I'm inclined to cut him some slack.

I'm of a certain age and any time I see one of these things on a man, the eight-year-old in me mutters, dresses like a fag. Then my adult filter interposes itself between my reptile brain and my lips.
  • ankle socks
  • the color pink
  • hair in bun
  • t-shirt with a scooped front
  • depilation anywhere on the body
  • plucked eyebrows (deserves special mention)
  • any sort of make up
  • use of skin moisterizer
  • loafers without socks
  • sweater draped over the shoulders
  • yellow sweaters (fuck it, any pastel color)
  • the thin line of beard current known as a chin strap
  • any styled beard
  • more than one finger ring
  • a gold chain (unless he's Italian, and even then…)
  • pierced ear (hell, pierced anything)
  • any ear ring or toe ring
  • any sort of leather, unless it's a shoe, belt, or coat (and even the coat can get you in trouble)
  • Rugby (even soccer…)
I could go on and on, but you get the idea. You see the benighted time and place that spawned me. And, let's not even start on suspect behavior.

So yeah, that photo of the multi-colored shoes looks pretty faggy to me. Being Oriented-times-three and acknowledging my place in the late-20th century and early-21st century, I don't say these things out loud and I bemoan myself for thinking them.

[ 15. July 2014, 21:48: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rugby, TSA? Really?! Don't get me wrong - there certainly are gay rugby players, and I think we're about to host the Bingham Cup again, but you automatically think of rugby players as "faggot"-like? Blimey.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Yes, TSA, but you're not a priest tasked with shepherding the flock of Christ, AND you fight against your inner moron.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
Rugby, TSA? Really?! Don't get me wrong - there certainly are gay rugby players, and I think we're about to host the Bingham Cup again, but you automatically think of rugby players as "faggot"-like? Blimey.

For me it's probably wishful thinking. Rough trade and all that.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

In my mis-spent youth there were only three television channels and the newspaper photographs were always black and white. This is what made the color magazines so intensely interesting.

So, big men dressed in tight short pants clutching and grabbing each other with the occasional wardrobe malfunction naturally drew the tempestuously sexual adolescent mind to sex. With no women present, it's easy to do the rest of the calculus.

Plus, with all the native team sports (baseball, football, basketball, hockey, lacrosse) set up to sublimate the omnisexual adolescent mind away from homosex, rugby was just an exotic outlier easy to demonize. I'm not claiming my experience is universally American, but it was uniform in my single-city urban/suburban childhood and youth.

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:

[Angel] Thank you for your kind words. Now you know we're not all raging homophobes, some of us are merely foul-mouthed pugilists.
I second this emotion. Mousethief is a sort of ambassador to less close-minded Orthodox.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

Dear God, the shoes remind me of those of... HIM!! from the Powerpuff Girls.
HIM always scared the crap out of me when I watched The Power Puff Girls. What is he, exactly? That voice made me want to hide under the couch.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
HIM always scared the crap out of me when I watched The Power Puff Girls. What is he, exactly? That voice made me want to hide under the couch.

Him is the Devil--you know that, though, yes? [Smile]

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just as well they haven't met this guy. Long hair, tights (or their historical equivalent) and a beard... their heads would explode.

Perhaps it's just the mustache, but separated at birth...

This guy and that guy.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've thought a bit more about the priest in the OP (yes, I know, I'm hard of thinking and it takes a while). The homophobia which qualifies it for the thread is almost in passing; it could be swapped out for another insult, leaving the main issue well alone. Which is - a primary-school playground pout about lost sporting prestige.

My team lost - but it wasn't a real competition anyway because all the other teams were gay / girls / nerdy / smelly / speccy-4-eyes.

My nine-yr-old's skin would crawl if she were overheard by an adult saying this shite. In fact I think her skin would crawl if she read it.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I've thought a bit more about the priest in the OP (yes, I know, I'm hard of thinking and it takes a while). The homophobia which qualifies it for the thread is almost in passing; it could be swapped out for another insult, leaving the main issue well alone. Which is - a primary-school playground pout about lost sporting prestige.

My team lost - but it wasn't a real competition anyway because all the other teams were gay / girls / nerdy / smelly / speccy-4-eyes.

Except for the church-approved anti-gay laws that are making life miserable if not downright terminal for gays in Russia right now.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:

Him is the Devil--you know that, though, yes? [Smile]
The devil is a simpering gay imp? Oooooh, Mary! [Big Grin]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Well, he's mostly based on the Chief Blue Meanie in Yellow Submarine... though arguably there's some Joker in there as well.

Huffington Post article on Him

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Rick Scarborough, Tea Party Leader, Suggests Class Action Lawsuit Against Homosexuality

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well if you can declare war on 'terror', I suppose anything is possible!
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He is a fol, no doubt.
But this bit
quote:
"They're not gay ... that's a twist into the words," Scarborough argued. "It won't be long until we'll be calling pedophiles 'happy people.'"
is not so amusing.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
He is a fol, no doubt.
But this bit
quote:
"They're not gay ... that's a twist into the words," Scarborough argued. "It won't be long until we'll be calling pedophiles 'happy people.'"
is not so amusing.
Indeed. That's an evil thing to say.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rick Scarborough, Tea Party Leader, Suggests Class Action Lawsuit Against Homosexuality

Just sick [Projectile]
[Projectile]

Meanwhile...
Ugandan archbishop still supporting anti-gay law

So exactly when is Welby going to say anything about Anglican homophobia in Uganda and Nigeria??

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

I'm wondering which other abstract nouns he'd like to sue. Me, I think I'd try suing Depression, Joie de Vivre and Hubris.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016